The Rey Kenobi Files

Page 28 of 29 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Rey Kenobi Files

Post by spacebaby45678 on Tue 22 Aug - 23:44

Doing a Mandalorian arc was George's idea, so when it came down to what the Mandalorians look like, we had talked about making them Nordic like the original supercommando Mandalorians were going to be in The Empire Strikes Back.
Duchess Satine Kyrze of duchess Satine of Kalevala Satine's home world is named after the Finnish Epic Saga Kalevala. Even more intresting is the Great Sea Monster Iku-Turso  that is a major part of the saga, the following is an artist rendition of Iku-Turso who is part gigantic walrus and octopus an, could this be what Rey's sea monster will look like after CGI?

Iku-Turso’s appearance formidable, but he seemingly had powerful and weird magic—a sort of divine antagonistic surrealist. The god makes a typically bizarre appearance in the Kalevala, the great mythological epic of the Finns (which Ferrebeekeeper has already visited—to tell the dark story of Lemminkäinen and the Swan of Tuonela).  In the second canto, the god rises from the depths and burns a huge hay stack.  From the cinders grows an oak so large that it threatens to blot out the sun and moon—and so the tree must be cut down

Concept art for TLJ sea Monster

Is the Sea Monster of the Kalevala a round about connection/inspiration for Rey Kyrze Kenobi? We shall see.
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBastardofMandalore on Wed 23 Aug - 1:11

spacebaby45678 wrote:Doing a Mandalorian arc was George's idea, so when it came down to what the Mandalorians look like, we had talked about making them Nordic like the original supercommando Mandalorians were going to be in The Empire Strikes Back.
Duchess Satine Kyrze of duchess Satine of Kalevala Satine's home world is named after the Finnish Epic Saga Kalevala. Even more intresting is the Great Sea Monster Iku-Turso  that is a major part of the saga, the following is an artist rendition of Iku-Turso who is part gigantic walrus and octopus an, could this be what Rey's sea monster will look like after CGI?

Iku-Turso’s appearance formidable, but he seemingly had powerful and weird magic—a sort of divine antagonistic surrealist. The god makes a typically bizarre appearance in the Kalevala, the great mythological epic of the Finns (which Ferrebeekeeper has already visited—to tell the dark story of Lemminkäinen and the Swan of Tuonela).  In the second canto, the god rises from the depths and burns a huge hay stack.  From the cinders grows an oak so large that it threatens to blot out the sun and moon—and so the tree must be cut down

Concept art for TLJ sea Monster

Is the Sea Monster of the Kalevala a round about connection/inspiration for Rey Kyrze Kenobi? We shall see.
@spacebaby45678

Good find! I agree that whatever creature Rey encounters in the cave vision, whether it be a mythosaur or Iku-Turso, will be a representation of where she's from (her origins). It will also mirror Luke's vision, in ESB, when he saw Darth Vader but with his face. Like Luke, her vision will be somewhat obscure and the meaning won't be fully realized until the end of episode 8 or episode 9.
TheBastardofMandalore
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBastardofMandalore on Wed 23 Aug - 2:44

@spacebaby45678

I was reading some of the excepts from the Kalevala epic and one of the cantos is about the child of a great warrior who is abducted and sold into slavery by a jealous rival. Hmmmm? Sounds a bit like the story of our SW heroine Rey.

Oh, I also found another image of Iku-Turso. It looks strikingly similar to the mythosaur on Fenn Rau's helmet. Confus

TheBastardofMandalore
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Acritiqua on Wed 23 Aug - 5:34

TheBastardofMandalore wrote:
Acritiqua wrote:It's interesting that if Obi-Wan had a kid he knowingly or not chose his duty (Luke) over a relationship with him (I would prefer knowingly because it's more dramatically interesting). The character in the sequel trilogy who puts family last is Kylo Ren, who was named after Obi-Wan (Ben).

Maybe ghost Obi-Wan surprisingly wants to save Ben Solo, and believes that Rey can do so.
@Acritiqua

I like your speculation. Obi-Wan being aware of his child's exitstance would definitely add another layer of depth and complexity to his character/story. It would also contrast Anakin's story as well. While Obi-Wan is selfless and made a conscious decision to stay away; Anakin's children were deliberately kept secret and hidden from him.
@TheBastardofMandalore Yes. I like the contrast of that too. Also really I think Obi-Wan has long been impersonal in a lot of ways. He puts duty before a relationship with Satine, and in this speculation, before a relationship with his own kid. It's all about the greater good, the higher purpose. Kylo who used to be named Ben also puts a higher purpose above his own family. It's just his purpose is selfish/dark. But it would be interesting if Ghost Obi was about when Ben was being trained, passing along these pearls of wisdom about duty and no attachment and Kylo now lives by similar ideas, aiming to care just as little for his family as he does for anyone (to become an indiscriminate killer), distancing from sticky emotional bonds with others. Snoke prepared Kylo to resist the bonds of family. And it would be interesting if Obi-Wan did too. The Father in the Mortis episodes warned Anakin to be careful of his heart and Obi-Wan would know of Anakin's flaw all too well (Anakin's attachments to those he cares about were his downfall). But in Kylo's case, such attachments could have saved Han Solo. It's a sort of irony that might not be lost on Obi-Wan.

Also, turning characters on their heads can be interesting. For instance, if:

• ROTJ Luke wants to save the dark lord in his family; TLJ Luke believes the dark lord in his family can't be saved and will have to die
  • Leia long hated the dark lord in her family, unable to forgive him for what he did to her and others and unable to fully understand Luke's feelings towards him; TFA Leia wants to save the dark lord in her family and knows there is still good in him
  • ESB/ROTJ Obi-Wan seems to be telling Luke to kill the dark lord in his family; ST Obi-Wan wants to save the latest Skywalker dark lord
Acritiqua
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 on Wed 23 Aug - 8:16

TheBastardofMandalore wrote:@spacebaby45678

I was reading some of the excepts from the Kalevala epic and one of the cantos is about the child of a great warrior who is abducted and sold into slavery by a jealous rival. Hmmmm? Sounds a bit like the story of our SW heroine Rey.

Oh, I also found another image of Iku-Turso. It looks strikingly similar to the mythosaur on Fenn Rau's helmet. Confus

@TheBastardofMandalore

Wow! Too cool that you are reading the cantos of Kalevala. I tried a couple they are a bit difficult. I did find the Movie Sampo 1959 the joint Soviet-Finnish film production and I can see how GL came up with the look of the New Mandolorians

Interesting that the Sampo a magical artifact of indeterminate type constructed by Ilmarinen that brought riches and good fortune to its holde itself could resemble the object that Luke has... MSW said it was a kind of compass

spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 on Wed 23 Aug - 8:30

And another find from the Movie Sampo based on the Kalevala Luke's walking stick drawing by MSW

Louhi' is described as a powerful and evil witch queen ruling over the northern realm of Pohjola, her walking stick is very similar to Luke's

spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 on Wed 23 Aug - 13:03

August 22, 2017 Steele Wars Ep 142 : Anthony Breznican - Behind the scenes on Entertainment Weekly’s The Last Jedi cover story

https://omny.fm/shows/steele-wars/steele-wars-ep-142-anthony-breznican-behind-the-sc

1:20:00

AB tells why he has been a long time Rey Kenobi theorist
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 on Thu 24 Aug - 14:37

TLJ Teaser is just a remix of the 7 minute  introduction of Obi Wan in ANH.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ_mjtTCdcg

Most of this was already covered in a podcast but I noticed something new after rereading AB's TLJ EW article about Rey Saving Luke from his darkside.  As @gemini likes to say the Skywalkers are in trouble, INT TFA & TLJ they are all back to where they where when Obi Wan is first introduced in ANH.  The trailer itself begins with the intro/music when Old Ben is asked by look does he know Obi Wan Kenobi in ANH & when you first see Rey gasping for breath in the TLJ teaser.

4:02 -6:30 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zecGT8_AhE8

Leia Obi Wan you are my only hope

Leia in the TLJ Teaser help me obi wan

ANH Obi says, " he was seduced by the darkside"

Kylo Ren has ben "seduced" by the darkside of the force - again we hear Obi Wan say "Seduced by the darkside"

Luke refusing Obi Wan's call

Luke refusing the call

Obi Wan in ANH - The Force it surrounds us binds us
Yoda in TLJ teasher - it surrounds us binds us
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Thu 24 Aug - 15:34

@TheBastardofMandalore

That would be very unfortunate, cause the child in question, Kullervo, end up unwittingly boinking his sister in his sled. lol! When they figured out they were siblings, she committed suicide by drowning in the nearby lake. Tolkin's Children of Hurin was clearly inspired by this epic.

@spacebaby45678 The staff may be inspired but not the rest of the story. Louhi's beautiful daughter ends up eaten by wolves (lured in by Kullervo) which wouldn't bode well for My Baby Girl. lol!
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 on Thu 24 Aug - 15:43

vaderito wrote:@TheBastardofMandalore

That would be very unfortunate, cause the child in question, Kullervo, end up unwittingly boinking his sister in his sled. lol! When they figured out they were siblings, she committed suicide by drowning in the nearby lake. Tolkin's Children of Hurin was clearly inspired by this epic.

@spacebaby45678 The staff may be inspired but not the rest of the story. Louhi's beautiful daughter ends up eaten by wolves (lured in by Kullervo) which wouldn't bode well for My Baby Girl. lol!
@vaderito

Thanks for the warning lol, omg, I need to Finnish watching Sampo... no pun Laughing Louhi's deserves a bad ending for all her shennagins.
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Thu 24 Aug - 15:48

@spacebaby45678 I haven't seen the movie but I read the epic. The movie may defer from the original source.
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 on Thu 24 Aug - 16:17

vaderito wrote:@spacebaby45678 I haven't seen the movie but I read the epic. The movie may defer from the original source.
@vaderito

Wow you and Beastofmandalore are beasts! The Kalevala epic is not an easy read. As far as Sampa goes, I am sure it is derivative no way could the screenwriters condense the saga into a two hour movie, and the acting is terrible, but the live action shots are gorgeous.
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Thu 24 Aug - 16:46

spacebaby45678 wrote:
vaderito wrote:@spacebaby45678 I haven't seen the movie but I read the epic. The movie may defer from the original source.
@vaderito

Wow you and Beastofmandalore are beasts! The Kalevala epic is not an easy read. As far as Sampa goes, I am sure it is derivative no way could the screenwriters condense the saga into a two hour movie, and the acting is terrible, but the live action shots are gorgeous.
@spacebaby45678

All epics are tough reads because of old-fashioned language, etc. Most people know them from picture books that explain the story in plain language, but I like to challenge myself. of course, it's easier if there's a movie to get you through.
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBastardofMandalore on Sun 27 Aug - 6:43

Hmmm!? BB-8's protector, huh? Could this be another, not so subtle, hint at Rey's Mando origins?  lol!

http://www.starwars.com/news/10-great-quotes-from-forces-of-destiny
TheBastardofMandalore
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 on Sun 27 Aug - 8:34

TheBastardofMandalore wrote:

Hmmm!? BB-8's protector, huh? Could this be another, not so subtle, hint at Rey's Mando origins?  lol!

http://www.starwars.com/news/10-great-quotes-from-forces-of-destiny
@TheBastardofMandalore

Ahhh! The Protectors! Good catch
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 on Tue 29 Aug - 16:21

This image of Rey makes me think of Obi Wan. Rey is so alone in front of this vast huge ocean.

spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 on Thu 31 Aug - 12:03

Obi Wan Kenobi and Yoda toys released alongside TLJ merchandise. one is a unique looking small green alien (will sell well) another is another old white male jedi master "(TLJ already has Luke, they would only add old obi wan kenobi if he was essential to the plot)."

source rreykenobii

spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 on Thu 31 Aug - 14:57

spacebaby45678 wrote:This image of Rey makes me think of Obi Wan. Rey is so alone in front of this vast huge ocean.

@spacebaby45678

"nemapasara wrote:
Topps put out a check list for their trading cards (https://www.topps.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Journey-to-Star-Wars-The-Last-Jedi-Checklist.pdf) and here's the list for TLJ:

91) Rey's Solitude
"

This feeling of solitude is definitely a Obi Wan motif and obviously deliberate marketing for Rey.
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 on Thu 31 Aug - 20:10

Or, more specifically, a Force ghost, rendered in partially translucent plastic to recreate his spiritual form.

All of these figures will be available this fall, before Star Wars: The Last Jedi hits theaters this December.

Source: http://mummiesandlightsabers.tumblr.com/
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Acritiqua on Fri 1 Sep - 1:11

Does anyone think there is any chance Obi-Wan is actually in TLJ and it's being hidden???
Acritiqua
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by fuhry on Fri 1 Sep - 2:52

Yes, I think coming out with a force ghost obi-wan that looks more like Ewan McGregor than Alec Guiness is certainly a strong indication that Obi-wan's force ghost is in the movie. And it would be very surprising if they didn't have Ewan playing him.

fuhry
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 on Fri 1 Sep - 4:55

If Obi Wan is not just part of a flashback but a force ghost character I don't know how they do it without Ewan but hey! They are Industrial Light and Magic, Peter Cushing was in Rogue One. We shall see.
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBastardofMandalore on Fri 1 Sep - 5:42

@Acritiqua
@fuhry
@spacebaby45678

I agree! That force ghost Obi-Wan shares a huge likeness to Ewan vs Alec Guinness. I think this is confirmation that he is in TLJ. Yaaaay! cheers
TheBastardofMandalore
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 on Fri 1 Sep - 5:58

So the "sea monster" that Rey fights does not look very threatening

spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 on Fri 1 Sep - 6:00

TheBastardofMandalore wrote:@Acritiqua
@fuhry
@spacebaby45678

I agree! That force ghost Obi-Wan shares a huge likeness to Ewan vs Alec Guinness. I think this is confirmation that he is in TLJ. Yaaaay! cheers
@TheBastardofMandalore

There is already a force ghost Anakin that is similar, I am not sure.
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Page 28 of 29 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum