The Last Jedi Trailer(s)

Page 15 of 16 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Last Jedi Trailer(s)

Post by vaderito on Thu 14 Sep - 15:19

Not a trailer but a Japanese spot that only rearranges the teaser scenes and leaves a character out:

vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Moonlight13 on Thu 14 Sep - 15:28

vaderito wrote:Not a trailer but a Japanese spot that only rearranges the teaser scenes and leaves a character out:

@vaderito

Where is Finn? Question Confus
Moonlight13
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Thu 14 Sep - 15:39

Moonlight13 wrote:

Where is Finn? Question Confus
@Moonlight13

Exactly. Since they only rearranged all scenes, why leave one out? Evil or Very Mad

vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Rei of Sunshine on Thu 14 Sep - 15:58

Sigh...

I know East Asians don't really favor darker races (Indians, Bangladesh, Polynesians, blacks etc.) but this is just asking for trouble.

LFL Asian contingent really needs to stop isolating Finn. It's not doing anybody good.

Anyhow things like this make me suspect that they paired up Rose, an Asian actress, with Finn so that East Asians would soften up to him.

There was a similar pair up in Kong: Skull Island, tho they were a minor couple. Both are scientists who went with Tom Hiddleston's team to Skull Island. The guy's black and I think the girl's Korean. By the end of the movie they were seen cuddling after surviving the events of the movie.
Rei of Sunshine
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Thu 14 Sep - 16:19

Rei of Sunshine wrote:Sigh...

I know East Asians don't really favor darker races (Indians, Bangladesh, Polynesians, blacks etc.) but this is just asking for trouble.

LFL Asian contingent really needs to stop isolating Finn. It's not doing anybody good.

Anyhow things like this make me suspect that they paired up Rose, an Asian actress, with Finn so that East Asians would soften up to him.

There was a similar pair up in Kong: Skull Island, tho they were a minor couple. Both are scientists who went with Tom Hiddleston's team to Skull Island. The guy's black and I think the girl's Korean. By the end of the movie they were seen cuddling after surviving the events of the movie.
@Rei of Sunshine

Yeah that was my first thought because it's frequently used as an excuse for not casting PoC in leads for films that Hollywood wants to market to Asia.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Mana on Thu 14 Sep - 16:31

vaderito wrote:Not a trailer but a Japanese spot that only rearranges the teaser scenes and leaves a character out:

@vaderito

Oh YIKES!!!!!! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Mana
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Rei of Sunshine on Thu 14 Sep - 17:14

I was so looking to a Japanese TV spot, because y'know, they showed the Takodana encounter in TFA.

But I wasn't expecting this.
Rei of Sunshine
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by RandomObserver on Thu 14 Sep - 17:24

Rei of Sunshine wrote:I was so looking to a Japanese TV spot, because y'know, they showed the Takodana encounter in TFA.

@Rei of Sunshine

How disappointing. Especially considering how affable and well-liked John Boyega is. He's like charisma in an explosive champagne bottle. That's messed up.
RandomObserver
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

http://www.roxannedhoward.com

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Thu 14 Sep - 17:30

RandomObserver wrote:
Rei of Sunshine wrote:I was so looking to a Japanese TV spot, because y'know, they showed the Takodana encounter in TFA.

@Rei of Sunshine

How disappointing. Especially considering how affable and well-liked John Boyega is. He's like charisma in an explosive champagne bottle. That's messed up.
@RandomObserver

I'm saddened and rather disgusted by this as well.  Sad  

John Boyega, as one of the key leads in the film, deserves so much better.

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Thu 14 Sep - 17:32

RandomObserver wrote:

@Rei of Sunshine

@RandomObserver

I don't get it either cause:

Like, WTF? They were in Japan in person and there was no problem. This is TFA's Japanese boxoffice:

$97,862,640

which is fantastic considering how badly Hollywood movies have been doing in that market for a decade now.

In comparison, RO made only:

$39,164,663

LOL, not even half of TFA. And these are the people that promoted it in Japan:

vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by panki on Thu 14 Sep - 19:12

snufkin wrote:
Rei of Sunshine wrote:Sigh...

@Rei of Sunshine

Yeah that was my first thought because it's frequently used as an excuse for not casting PoC in leads for films that Hollywood wants to market to Asia.
@snufkin

I don't think it is an excuse sadly....though I hate (and I mean really really hate) this, foreign movies with white people in leading roles do better in my part of the world when compared to any other ethnicity (unless the person is of South Asian origin of course- then you want to cheer one of your own). This even trickles down to merchandise sales as well...I'm part of some hobby enthusiast and action figure collector groups, and I have noticed certain action figures sell out quickly while others remain peg warmers....at the end of the day, movie making is a business.

http://starwarstheorist.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Thu 14 Sep - 19:20

It's all down to studio only. Universal advertised Furious 7 and 8 in China like this:

and Disney/LF advertised TFA in China like this:

Original poster____________________________Chinese version

So this shows that the choice is purely down to the studio and not the market or the audience. Also check out China boxoffice for Furious movies and TFA:

TFA China = $124,159,138

F7 China = $390,910,000
F8 China = $392,807,017

It isn't the audience. It's the studio.
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Thu 14 Sep - 19:29

@panki - yeah it is more complicated, unfortunately, than just business practices. I'd have to dig around to find any examples of where the film industry has at least tried to justify it on that basis. And I'm pretty hesitant to comment on how it plays out in Asia because I haven't spent time in that part of the world. But having lived/traveled a lot in the Caribbean and Latin America, you sure do see it, in part because of traditions and attitudes which were developed from colonialism and slavery. And even then, I'm neither West Indian or Latin/Luso American, so while I can see how it plays out and have had friends talk about it, I still don't feel like I can discuss it authoritatively as somebody who's impacted by it. But unless the plan was to have multiple trailers highlightening the different protagonist plotlines, it's not a good look omitting one of the leads not in the trailer at all.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by panki on Thu 14 Sep - 19:33

vaderito wrote:It's all down to studio only. Universal advertised Furious 7 and 8 in China like this:

and Disney/LF advertised TFA in China like this:

Original poster____________________________Chinese version

So this shows that the choice is purely down to the studio and not the market or the audience. Also check out China boxoffice for Furious movies and TFA:

TFA China = $124,159,138

F7 China = $390,910,000
F8 China = $392,807,017

It isn't the audience. It's the studio.
@vaderito

I'm not from China and their approach to movies would be different....but I remember they had special screenings in China before TFA because the audience didn't have the nostalgia towards SW that a western audience would have (especially since the last SW movie was in the early 2000s)....so am not sure TFA is the best indicator. However, they focus of the China poster seems to be the droids (yes they reduced JB's presence in the poster but they completely removed Poe from it so it can't be about race)....and droids don't have an ethnicity.

snufkin wrote:@panki - yeah it is more complicated, unfortunately, than just business practices. I'd have to dig around to find any examples of where the film industry has at least tried to justify it on that basis. And I'm pretty hesitant to comment on how it plays out in Asia because I haven't spent time in that part of the world. But having lived/traveled a lot in the Caribbean and Latin America, you sure do see it, in part because of traditions and attitudes which were developed from colonialism and slavery. And even then, I'm neither West Indian or Latin/Luso American, so while I can see how it plays out and have had friends talk about it, I still don't feel like I can discuss it authoritatively as somebody who's impacted by it. But unless the plan was to have multiple trailers highlightening the different protagonist plotlines, it's not a good look omitting one of the leads not in the trailer at all.
@snufkin

I don't think it is good omitting anyone....take the China poster Vaderito highlighted.....Poe has been completely removed from the poster and Finn has been shrunk....its wrong at many levels.

Back to top Go down

Post by Airemyn on Thu 14 Sep - 19:55

I think the #whereisfinn crowd would have a point here. I would be pretty pissed off if I was John Boyega - but more so with the studio than the audience here.
Airemyn

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Thu 14 Sep - 20:01

TFA bombed in China cause the Chinese found it so boring they were reportedly nodding off during the movie, didn't understand relationships between characters (SW was never a thing in China) and fights looked like a "low budget TV show". lol!
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by panki on Thu 14 Sep - 20:08

vaderito wrote:TFA bombed in China cause the Chinese found it so boring they were reportedly nodding off during the movie, didn't understand relationships between characters (SW was never a thing in China) and fights looked like a "low budget TV show". lol!
@vaderito

Exactly.... most of them were probably wondering what the hell was going on and why did everyone want to find that old man on the island.

We had a similar problem here as well since most people grew up watching/reading Star Trek, DC and Marvel material (and are therefore crazy about these universes with action figures/collectibles of Spock, Batman, Iron man  and Captain America selling the most). SW is only a recent player by comparison.

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Thu 14 Sep - 20:17

Chinese and Hong Kong cinema have some of the best action and action stars ever. What TFA offered in that department was not going to cut it. They like mechas, cool vehicles, crazy stunts that defy gravity, complicated fighting choreography. TFA checked no boxes.
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by panki on Thu 14 Sep - 20:20

vaderito wrote:Chinese and Hong Kong cinema have some of the best action and action stars ever. What TFA offered in that department was not going to cut it. They like mechas, cool vehicles, crazy stunts that defy gravity, complicated fighting choreography. TFA checked no boxes.
@vaderito

I agree. TFA was sorely lacking in those departments when compared to what you get in HK cinema.

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Thu 14 Sep - 20:33

panki wrote:
vaderito wrote:Chinese and Hong Kong cinema have some of the best action and action stars ever. What TFA offered in that department was not going to cut it. They like mechas, cool vehicles, crazy stunts that defy gravity, complicated fighting choreography. TFA checked no boxes.
@vaderito

I agree. TFA was sorely lacking in those departments when compared to what you get in HK cinema.
@panki

TLJ is going to do even worse in China. There's no reason for a jump when TFA failed to build interest.
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Rimfaxe96 on Thu 14 Sep - 21:57

panki wrote:
vaderito wrote:TFA bombed in China cause the Chinese found it so boring they were reportedly nodding off during the movie, didn't understand relationships between characters (SW was never a thing in China) and fights looked like a "low budget TV show". lol!
@vaderito

Exactly.... most of them were probably wondering what the hell was going on and why did everyone want to find that old man on the island.

We had a similar problem here as well since most people grew up watching/reading Star Trek, DC and Marvel material (and are therefore crazy about these universes with action figures/collectibles of Spock, Batman, Iron man  and Captain America selling the most). SW is only a recent player by comparison.
@panki

Oh yeah. And frankly, parts of the newer western generations don't feel any hype for SW either. I unironically witnessed someone asking who Vader was. Shocked

...Anyhow, can I just say what a joy it is to be among folks mature enough to understand/know about the differences between western and eastern GA? When I touched on the topic of differences of the gaming industries between west and east - which are vast by the way - I was immediately jumped upon for "racism" by 13-year-old girls. Eh bien
Rimfaxe96
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Kylo Men on Fri 15 Sep - 2:11

@vaderito

Good.

Kylo Men
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Rei of Sunshine on Fri 15 Sep - 3:03

Rimfaxe96 wrote:

...Anyhow, can I just say what a joy it is to be among folks mature enough to understand/know about the differences between western and eastern GA? When I touched on the topic of differences of the gaming industries between west and east - which are vast by the way - I was immediately jumped upon for "racism" by 13-year-old girls. Eh bien
@Rimfaxe96

it's my first time also to find out how movie marketing is different for every region. Ironically, I've been to business school before (dropped out of that one lol) and my favorite part of marketing was the background research such as feasibility studies, demographic studies, and such. 13 yr old kids wouldn't even know the first thing about marketing to diverse cultures. You gotta understand religion, tradition, climate, language, and economic practices.

Before really getting into SW, I just assumed people liked Hollywood mainstream movies everywhere. SW is a very Western(read: American) thing, and countries that were exposed and/or colonized by the US and UK at some point will have some measure of interest in Hollywood movies.

China OTOH is such an ethnocentric nation, ancient as it is, and are not as susceptible to colonial mentality as most colonized countries are.

Noticably China (and Korea and Japan to some extent) take huge pride in their past which is why they have a lot of period movies and these are mostly action peppered with some romance. They stick to this formula of old emperors and ancient heroes and it works for them.

Meanwhile, Western Cinema is very different. There aren't much period films, and the current trend is futuristic/dystopian/scifi which is a far cry from Asian period and action films.

Oh, and btw, I've seen my fair share of HK/Chinese movies for 2014-2016 and lol, their CGI sucks. Action and physical comedy they can do. But CGI is a whole 'nother story for China.
Rei of Sunshine
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Fri 15 Sep - 3:37

Other than US imports, when I lived in the Caribbean the other big import were HK/Chinese, which is how I first got exposed to wuxia. The other imports were from South African and frequently comedies from the apartheid era. Which I always thought was a little weird given the region's history itself with colonialism and interest/respect for Mandela's history and role in dismantling apartheid.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by tukicarreno on Fri 15 Sep - 14:17

Anyone knows when exactly in October is the trailer going to be finally out? Is there a specific date yet? Sigh....

tukicarreno
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 16 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum