The Last Jedi Trailer(s)

Page 38 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Last Jedi Trailer(s)

Post by Darth_Awakened on Tue 10 Oct - 13:37

EchoBase wrote:
Darth_Awakened wrote:
EchoBase wrote:Watched it again, I'm so looking forward to seeing angsty Luke. Mark is gorgeous in these few scenes.
@EchoBase

Yes,yes and yes.

Adam was expected to be great, but I was BLOWN AWAY with Mark in those few scenes.
@Darth_Awakened

You're a such a Skywalker groupie....just like me, lol.

Speaking of Skywalkers: I've read something hilarious. There are people out there who believe that Kylo's on Mustafas and reaches his hand out to.......ANAKIN. Yes, the one who's a force ghost and not corporal anymore. Why the hell would he do that? Wouldn't it be the other way around, if force ghost Ani wanted to show him the way? And apart from that.......EEEEW.
@EchoBase

It should be anyone but Rey for most of them lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by SkyStar on Tue 10 Oct - 13:39

EchoBase wrote:
Darth_Awakened wrote:
EchoBase wrote:Watched it again, I'm so looking forward to seeing angsty Luke. Mark is gorgeous in these few scenes.
@EchoBase

Yes,yes and yes.

Adam was expected to be great, but I was BLOWN AWAY with Mark in those few scenes.
@Darth_Awakened

Speaking of Skywalkers: I've read something hilarious. There are people out there who believe that Kylo's on Mustafas and reaches his hand out to.......ANAKIN. Yes, the one who's a force ghost and not corporal anymore. Why the hell would he do that? Wouldn't it be the other way around, if force ghost Ani wanted to show him the way? And apart from that.......EEEEW.
@EchoBase

Wow that Anakin speculation, yikes. Very Happy
SkyStar
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by shii405 on Tue 10 Oct - 13:43

reylo1992 wrote:@vaderito Yep! I agree that it is a different scene. But I truly think it doesn't matter at the end because the way they edited it send a very clear message. Now, there can't be no ambiguity about the fact that Kylo and Rey are important to one another even if very few information are given about their interactions. There couldn't be a more powerful ending for the trailer than the one they gave us.

Another thing that I find really interesting is how much Kylo's shadow is big in this trailer. The more I see the trailer, the more I get the feeling that actually eveything turns around him. Even when he ain't there, he is actually constantly there, even where we don't expect him to be:
1) The first part of the trailer focuseson Kylo's trajectory and his relationship with Snoke
2) The second part focuses on Rey's trajectory but Rey's awakening powers offer a glimpse of Ben's relationship with his uncle
3) The third part focuses on Kylo's psyche and his relationship with his mother as he seems to let go of his past by destroying the Resistance fleet
4) The fourth part focuses on the battle between the Resistance and the FO
5) The fifth part shows all people who are meant to  play a role in Kylo's trajectory:
- The masters: Luke (This is not going to go the way you think!) vs. Snoke (Now, fulfill your destiny)
- The attachments: Leia & Rey
6) The trailer ends on his relationship with Rey: "I need someone who can show me my place in all of this!"

So basically, the trailer is giving away:
1) How Snoke sees Kylo ==> a raw, untamed, very special power
2) How Luke sees him    ==> a raw strenght that scares him
3) How Kylo sees himself ==> someone who shall let go of his past to become what he is meant to be (which implies to destroy his attachment to his mother)
4) How Rey could see him ==> someone who could show her where her place is
5) The dilemma he is facing ==> "Now fulfill your destiny!" (by killing or letting kill the girl)
The transition between the two last parts is really interesting because the viewer is suspended to what will happen to Rey as Snoke is saying "Now fulfill your destiny". And then, the trailer ends with Kylo offering his hand to her as if his choice was made.

More important, the trailer opens and ends with a shot of Kylo:
1) This is how it begins:

Kylo stands in front of a big hangar, which IMO conveys some rumination moment that reminds me of Anakin and Padme's ruminations scene. So it conveys inner conflict/ambiguity.
2) This is how it ends:

The choice is made. After hearing during the whole trailer how much Kylo is meant to be a raw beast, how much he is ready to let go of his attachments, the viewer is finally shown Kylo offering his hand with sad puppy eyes to the girl who was shown being tortured by Snoke and asking for someone to fill an important part in her life just a few seconds before.

So the trailer shows how much Kylo is meant to be an Anakin in reverse.
@reylo1992

OMG, your analysis is amazing! So do we agree that BEN SOLO is actually the MAIN CHARACTER (not sure, if I should call him the "hero", "anti-hero"?) of THIS SEQUEL TRILOGY, and not Rey? Adam Driver IS the first billed after the original cast, afterall, right? Maybe that is the shocking revelation for TLJ, lol.
shii405
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by MoonFyre on Tue 10 Oct - 13:50

Luke had the best meme-worthy shots from the trailer lol

Freshman year:

Senior year:

Source

everyone to the antis rn

MoonFyre
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Tue 10 Oct - 13:55

shii405 wrote:
reylo1992 wrote:@vaderito Yep! I agree that it is a different scene. But I truly think it doesn't matter at the end because the way they edited it send a very clear message. Now, there can't be no ambiguity about the fact that Kylo and Rey are important to one another even if very few information are given about their interactions. There couldn't be a more powerful ending for the trailer than the one they gave us.

Another thing that I find really interesting is how much Kylo's shadow is big in this trailer. The more I see the trailer, the more I get the feeling that actually eveything turns around him. Even when he ain't there, he is actually constantly there, even where we don't expect him to be:
1) The first part of the trailer focuseson Kylo's trajectory and his relationship with Snoke
2) The second part focuses on Rey's trajectory but Rey's awakening powers offer a glimpse of Ben's relationship with his uncle
3) The third part focuses on Kylo's psyche and his relationship with his mother as he seems to let go of his past by destroying the Resistance fleet
5) The fifth part shows all people who are meant to  play a role in Kylo's trajectory:
- The masters: Luke (This is not going to go the way you think!) vs. Snoke (Now, fulfill your destiny)
6) The trailer ends on his relationship with Rey: "I need someone who can show me my place in all of this!"

3) How Kylo sees himself ==> someone who shall let go of his past to become what he is meant to be (which implies to destroy his attachment to his mother)
5) The dilemma he is facing ==> "Now fulfill your destiny!" (by killing or letting kill the girl)
The transition between the two last parts is really interesting because the viewer is suspended to what will happen to Rey as Snoke is saying "Now fulfill your destiny". And then, the trailer ends with Kylo offering his hand to her as if his choice was made.

Kylo stands in front of a big hangar, which IMO conveys some rumination moment that reminds me of Anakin and Padme's ruminations scene. So it conveys inner conflict/ambiguity.
2) This is how it ends:

The choice is made. After hearing during the whole trailer how much Kylo is meant to be a raw beast, how much he is ready to let go of his attachments, the viewer is finally shown Kylo offering his hand with sad puppy eyes to the girl who was shown being tortured by Snoke and asking for someone to fill an important part in her life just a few seconds before.

@reylo1992

OMG, your analysis is amazing! So do we agree that BEN SOLO is actually the MAIN CHARACTER (not sure, if I should call him the "hero", "anti-hero"?) of THIS SEQUEL TRILOGY, and not Rey? Adam Driver IS the first billed after the original cast, afterall, right? Maybe that is the shocking revelation for TLJ, lol.
@shii405

You know, in a different context, I would find the "guy you thought was a faceless villain... is in fact the main character!!" a brilliant twist, if done well. But in this case, they've done far too much to make far too many people invested in Rey as the main character for such a switcheroo to be anything but poor taste.

So I do think Rey will absolutely remain the main protagonist. However, as I've said before, it could be that Rey is the main protagonist but the story is largely about Kylo, in which case trying to determine which one of them is more "important" will be arguing about semantics.

I know I've said this a thousand times before, but: you can say "X is the main protagonist!" till the cows come home, but if you give all the interesting meat of the story to Y, then the story is essentially about Y.
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by DarthRen on Tue 10 Oct - 13:58

MoonFyre wrote:Luke had the best meme-worthy shots from the trailer lol

Freshman year:

Senior year:

Source

everyone to the antis rn

@MoonFyre

That line from Luke "this is not going to go the way you think" could be to Rey or what I think to Kylo.

DarthRen
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by DarthRen on Tue 10 Oct - 13:59

2) This is how it ends:

@reylo1992

Really nice thoughts. Although, I think some lines applies to Rey insted of Kylo but meaning is pretty much the same for both. Some dialog misdirections are there like wh ois speaking to whom.
DarthRen
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Airemyn on Tue 10 Oct - 14:01

I saw it at 3 am last night, it's now 3 pm the following day and I still can't stop smiling. It was incredible and I'm still reeling from the end. Who cares if it's two different scenes? Who the hell else would Kylo extend his hand to?!? He only looks at Rey like that, we saw it in the last film.

And that's it from me for now until I pick myself back up off the floor.
Airemyn
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by MoonFyre on Tue 10 Oct - 14:06

DarthRen wrote:
@MoonFyre

That line from Luke "this is not going to go the way you think" could be to Rey or what I think to Kylo.

@DarthRen

I think he said that to Kylo too. Some people are already speculating that it's the scene where Luke blows up the hut.
MoonFyre
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by DarthRen on Tue 10 Oct - 14:08

MoonFyre wrote:
DarthRen wrote:
@MoonFyre

@DarthRen

I think he said that to Kylo too. Some people are already speculating that it's the scene where Luke blows up the hut.
@MoonFyre

It could be the hut scene or when Kylo and Rey fights, Rey falls off the cliff and Luke is trying to intervine. Luke is supposed to be weaker as he gets older. I like this idea, still powerful but slowly losing his touch with the Force.
DarthRen
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig on Tue 10 Oct - 14:10

SkyStar wrote:
EchoBase wrote:
Darth_Awakened wrote:
@EchoBase

Yes,yes and yes.

@Darth_Awakened

@EchoBase

@SkyStar
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ThereThere on Tue 10 Oct - 14:19

I wanted to get in to this thread last night after the trailer released with all of you folks, but the trailer broke the forum. Very Happy I went and looked elsewhere to see what kind of reaction it was getting compared to what I saw and felt. This was a pretty interesting experience.

Quite a few people seem displeased with how "weak" and "frightened" Luke is in this trailer, and think this is what Mark meant about being disappointed about the character's direction. I'm really excited to see Luke (who we know is both powerful and knowledgable) from a new angle. I didn't see him as weak, but made embittered and gun-shy by past experiences we are not yet fully privy to. I really look forward to seeing Mark bring new layers to a character who was always a little bit of a Boy Scout in the OT.

Going along with this point, I have a soft spot for middle chapters in trilogies because they are often the most psychologically interesting and the most focused on character development as we cycle through the middle act in the classic three-act structure. This means confrontation (with others and with the inner self), eventually leading to the low point. This trailer furthered my belief that The Last Jedi has the potential to be an incredible film and a uniquely challenging Star Wars chapter. The fact that both Kylo Ren and Rey will be experiencing these mirrored paths of confrontation...against expectation, against their destinies, against their rivals, against each other...really cements the fact that they are those two halves of the protagonist.

With The Force Awakens as the setup and Episode IX as the resolution, The Last Jedi forms the crucial bridge--bringing the characters to their most intense emotional low points and changing/raising the stakes. If we are right about TFA setting up the fact that Rey and Kylo were going to have major impact upon each other (and we are) with Episode IX bringing the story to complete fruition, then this chapter has to tell one of the most interesting parts of the story. Not point A (enemies) or point B (allies and/or lovers), but the journey between the two points. Parallel or reverse internal journeys + merged external destiny = fascinating conflict and storytelling. We'll get crucial character development for both of them as the plot leads them inevitably towards each other. I'm very excited!

I honestly can't understand people being so against interesting and challenging character development in this way in favor of something more simplistic. It's a change for Star Wars in many respects, but Empire is the most beloved film in the franchise and that film thrived on internal conflict.
ThereThere
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by fuhry on Tue 10 Oct - 14:26

DarthRen wrote:
MoonFyre wrote:
DarthRen wrote:
@MoonFyre

@DarthRen

@MoonFyre

It could be the hut scene or when Kylo and Rey fights, Rey falls off the cliff and Luke is trying to intervine. Luke is supposed to be weaker as he gets older. I like this idea, still powerful but slowly losing his touch with the Force.
@DarthRen

Doesn't seem like it's in canon for someone to lose their force abilities as they get older. But one thing I did get from the trailer is that, before he trains Ben Solo, Luke doesn't really know how powerful the force can be. Palpatine's lightning and Yoda's lifting of Luke's x-wing are the most powerful displays of the force that Luke has seen. He's still just a guy who's barely trained, and seems intimidated and afraid by the power that Kylo (and Rey) can wield.

fuhry
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Tue 10 Oct - 14:27

I'm having a huge crush on Luke. He's so sexy in this. Frightened suits him. I'm in love. H-beating H-beating H-beating H-beating

Can we talk about how hot Luke is? Claps
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by EchoBase on Tue 10 Oct - 14:33

vaderito wrote:I'm having a huge crush on Luke. He's so sexy in this. Frightened suits him. I'm in love. H-beating H-beating H-beating H-beating

Can we talk about how hot Luke is? Claps
@vaderito

Of course, we can. Nothing wrong with objectifying characters, haha.

EchoBase
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Tue 10 Oct - 14:34

I got maybe four hours total of sleep last night because I was so wound up after the trailer aired I couldn't stop flipping my sith.  I'm so happy right now I can't stand it.  I am having my bathroom redone today with a new shower door and work is crazy busy.  I wish I had the time to focus on this the way I had last night but it's just crazy today and I've gotten little sleep.  Still, the sleep doesn't seem to affect me right now as I am as wound up today as I was right after the trailer aired.

AND I GOT MY TICKETS FOR THE FAN EVENT!!!!  cheers

Back to top Go down

Post by DarthRen on Tue 10 Oct - 14:37

fuhry wrote:
DarthRen wrote:
MoonFyre wrote:
DarthRen wrote:
@MoonFyre

@DarthRen

@MoonFyre

@DarthRen

Doesn't seem like it's in canon for someone to lose their force abilities as they get older.  But one thing I did get from the trailer is that, before he trains Ben Solo, Luke doesn't really know how powerful the force can be.  Palpatine's lightning and Yoda's lifting of Luke's x-wing are the most powerful displays of the force that Luke has seen.   He's still just a guy who's barely trained, and seems intimidated and afraid by the power that Kylo (and Rey) can wield.  
@fuhry

Yeah, this is something that is strange to me too, Yoda had powers and was pretty old, Obi-Wan too.

I know some people think Luke as talking about Anakin, Rey is his reincarnation and Kylo irrelevanrt weakling. But I think Luke blames himself for Ben's fall, he saw probably that power in Kylo. Luke never saw Anakin/Darth Vader wielding raw power like this. He must've seen it with Ben and like he said, it didn't scared him then and probably pushed him further than he should have. Hence his self blaming nature and being bitter. Snoke wouldn't have choose someone weak, Kylo/Ben must be strong but we haven't seen him doing much apart from stopping that blaster or Force pushing Rey, telepathic abilities.
DarthRen
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBastardofMandalore on Tue 10 Oct - 14:44

IoJovi wrote:I got maybe four hours total of sleep last night because I was so wound up after the trailer aired I couldn't stop flipping my sith.  I'm so happy right now I can't stand it.  I am having my bathroom redone today with a new shower door and work is crazy busy.  I wish I had the time to focus on this the way I had last night but it's just crazy today and I've gotten little sleep.  Still, the sleep doesn't seem to affect me right now as I am as wound up today as I was right after the trailer aired.

AND I GOT MY TICKETS FOR THE FAN EVENT!!!!  cheers
@IoJovi

I got my tickets too! Soooo excited! cheers
TheBastardofMandalore
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Rei of Sunshine on Tue 10 Oct - 14:45

Just a reminder incase you guys forgot.

TLJ IS DIRECTED BY RIAN JOHNSON

not JJ Abrams who treasured his mystery box that lead to so much misunderstood misdirection.

TLJ trailer proved how different TLJ will be from TFA. Rian himself said the trailer spoils the movie, though not entirely, but it definitely set the path we are meant to follow as an audience.

Fizzgig is right. This is not about misdirections, it's about setting a theme to the story, and it doesn't matter which scene was cut and pasted with which, the point is this is the SUMMARY of what they want to show us. And if Rian wants us to see West Side Story in that last scene then we definitely must!
Rei of Sunshine
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SkyStar on Tue 10 Oct - 14:46

Rei of Sunshine wrote:Just a reminder incase you guys forgot.

TLJ IS DIRECTED BY RIAN JOHNSON

not JJ Abrams who treasured his mystery box that lead to so much misunderstood misdirection.

TLJ trailer proved how different TLJ will be from TFA. Rian himself said the trailer spoils the movie, though not entirely, but it definitely set the path we are meant to follow as an audience.

Fizzgig is right. This is not about misdirections, it's about setting a theme to the story, and it doesn't matter which scene was cut and pasted with which, the point is this is the SUMMARY of what they want to show us. And if Rian wants us to see West Side Story in that last scene then we definitely must!
@Rei of Sunshine

Preach cheers
SkyStar
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by SheLitAFire on Tue 10 Oct - 14:52

SkyStar wrote:
EchoBase wrote:
Darth_Awakened wrote:
@EchoBase

Yes,yes and yes.

@Darth_Awakened

@EchoBase

@SkyStar

The antis are just gonna be like "wait how did Rey get in this scene?! scratch "
SheLitAFire
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by RandomObserver on Tue 10 Oct - 14:55

I'll analyze later. If the hut blow up scene rumors are true, wouldn't it be great if the hut blows up because of Kylo and Rey kissing for the first time? As in, her power's so raw and untamed that it's fueled by her emotions, and it scorches it down. Very Happy It cracks me up how giddy everyone is RN (and rightly so). Regardless of whether or not Kylo extending his hand and Rey saying she needed someone are two different scenes, they purposefully put them together like that to give the audience a nudge in the right direction. I agree he's Anakin in reverse, and I am loving it. I think Rian slayed it, personally. Can't wait for the movie. I hope they gave Mark some good material. He can act his head off, and I'm intrigued as hell to find out where it all goes.
RandomObserver
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Tex on Tue 10 Oct - 15:01

RandomObserver wrote:I'll analyze later. If the hut blow up scene rumors are true, wouldn't it be great if the hut blows up because of Kylo and Rey kissing for the first time? As in, her power's so raw and untamed that it's fueled by her emotions, and it scorches it down. Very Happy It cracks me up how giddy everyone is RN (and rightly so). Regardless of whether or not Kylo extending his hand and Rey saying she needed someone are two different scenes, they purposefully put them together like that to give the audience a nudge in the right direction. I agree he's Anakin in reverse, and I am loving it. I think Rian slayed it, personally. Can't wait for the movie. I hope they gave Mark some good material. He can act his head off, and I'm intrigued as hell to find out where it all goes.
@RandomObserver

OK I don't even care if that happens in the movie or not, but I seriously need someone to write some amazing crack fic or comic panel illustrating this right now!
Tex
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by SkyStar on Tue 10 Oct - 15:02

SheLitAFire wrote:
SkyStar wrote:
EchoBase wrote:
Darth_Awakened wrote:
@EchoBase

Yes,yes and yes.

@Darth_Awakened

@EchoBase

@SkyStar

The antis are just gonna be like "wait how did Rey get in this scene?! scratch "
@SheLitAFire

They just didn't show Reys reaction to not spoil that they are going to dance
SkyStar
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Tue 10 Oct - 15:05

RandomObserver wrote:I'll analyze later. If the hut blow up scene rumors are true, wouldn't it be great if the hut blows up because of Kylo and Rey kissing for the first time? As in, her power's so raw and untamed that it's fueled by her emotions, and it scorches it down. Very Happy It cracks me up how giddy everyone is RN (and rightly so). Regardless of whether or not Kylo extending his hand and Rey saying she needed someone are two different scenes, they purposefully put them together like that to give the audience a nudge in the right direction. I agree he's Anakin in reverse, and I am loving it. I think Rian slayed it, personally. Can't wait for the movie. I hope they gave Mark some good material. He can act his head off, and I'm intrigued as hell to find out where it all goes.
@RandomObserver

Exactly.  The last two seconds of the clip, spliced or not, set the tone and direction of the film.  The GA (who aren't on any side, really - they just want a good story), are going to want to know where exactly that last scene is headed.  If it's not leading anywhere, why throw that piece in?  All they would end up is p*ssing off the general audience which is exactly who this is marketed to.  This trailer isn't marketed to us, and it isn't marketed to those who are on the opposite side, or tumblr antis.  They would NOT have put that in there if it weren't meant to go somewhere.  

That's why I am 110% confident it isn't a misdirect.

Back to top Go down

Page 38 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum