Not Hard to See, the Future is

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Not Hard to See, the Future is

Post by rey09 on Sat 22 Apr - 22:31

lmao this thread is hilarious. Reminds me - I've been meaning to do a whole powerpoint lecture on Reylo XD, but I've been soo lazy.
rey09
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Kessel on Sat 22 Apr - 22:33

Xylo Ren wrote:
Kessel wrote:
Xylo Ren wrote:Just thought of another one.

48. Us: Reylo has gained popularity and validity. Many would be open to it if done well.

Them: Nah, Reylo suck$$!!! It'll never be canon no one likes that shiiii

Places top ten most popular ships of the year on Tumblr/top het ship overall, second most thing Daisy is asked about beyond parentage
@Xylo Ren

Regarding Reylo's popularity, that reminds me of the time antis tried to claim that Kylo merch (thus Kylo) wasn't popular or selling because of that article surrounding the #WheresRey toy debacle after TFA's release (when there were so few Rey toys/merch available)  even though the issue was the lack of Rey.

In the last year and some, I've been paying attention and based on what I've seen in stores, Amazon, and also during Halloween, Christmas and at Disney world, Celebration, etc., Kylo merch is quite popular. So there's another thing antis were wrong about and misconstrued.
@Kessel

Thus we can add another one:

49.) "Kylo is super unpopular, no one buys his merch! He suck$$!"

Incontestably the number one most cosplayed character at Celebration behind Rey, His Figuarts Unmasked figure is going for triple the price (I know as a collector), Disney plasters him all over the friggin ads for Battlefront II and the mf'ing teaser poster.
@Xylo Ren

Yep, they wouldn't keep making stuff with him on it if he didn't sell. Smile
Kessel
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Helix on Sat 22 Apr - 22:40

Disney may be a marketing machine, but it is true they wouldn't make a TON of Kylo merch if it didn't sell. You don't see many Jar Jar figures these days vs. the initial TPM toy launch.
Helix
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened on Sun 23 Apr - 3:41

FrolickingFizzgig wrote:I made us a chart with the ones that I consider the most important/impressive. I'm also petty af.

@FrolickingFizzgig

Somehow I missed yesterday this treasure!
I've always liked this kind of a stuff as - I'am a proud nerd through and through.

I have only one little remark: regarding Stormrose: somehow I was sure of it from the moment Kelly was announced as a part of the cast.
Even before I dealt with the Reywalker possibility in my head.
Though not sure why, maybe it was due to hearing of the chemistry readings with John, or perhaps the end of TFA ("friend- zoning" of Finn, and the clarity of the prospect Rey and Finn have different paths in future.
Dubrovnik horse scene was just a nail in the coffin for me. If I was dead sure on anything, it was Stormrose.

Back to top Go down

Post by AceofWands on Sun 23 Apr - 10:48

Darth_Awakened wrote:
FrolickingFizzgig wrote:I made us a chart with the ones that I consider the most important/impressive. I'm also petty af.
@FrolickingFizzgig

Somehow I missed yesterday this treasure!
I've always liked this kind of a stuff as - I'am a proud nerd through and through.

I have only one little remark: regarding Stormrose: somehow I was sure of it from the moment Kelly was announced as a part of the cast.
Even before I dealt with the Reywalker possibility in my head.
Though not sure why, maybe it was due to hearing of the chemistry readings with John, or perhaps the end of TFA ("friend- zoning" of Finn, and the clarity of the prospect Rey and Finn have different paths in future.
Dubrovnik horse scene was just a nail in the coffin for me. If I was dead sure on anything, it was Stormrose.
@Darth_Awakened

Agreed. In December there were talks of actresses doing chemistry reads with John. KMT was announced in February. That was a speculation going around. So much so, that in some well known discussion boards, the first reaction was: "no, that can't be, she doesn't look like a LI".

Anyways, I think this is the only place in the fandom where we all agreed that KMT is pretty and that her character would be attractive. We were right, see?

But sure, April and the space-horse was the confirmation. Of course, for the general fandom, the confirmation might have come just now, but at this time last year we were pretty sure KMT would be Finn's LI. And that she would look cute!

@FrolicingFizzgig your chart is amazing!
AceofWands
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Xylo Ren on Sun 23 Apr - 11:48

ZioRen wrote:Quick, now make a list of things the antis predicted correctly or were right about!

1)....Kylo Ren's a meanie?
@ZioRen

2. Rey will be Riding Solo Wink Wink Wink
Xylo Ren
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Sun 23 Apr - 11:52

Xylo Ren wrote:
ZioRen wrote:Quick, now make a list of things the antis predicted correctly or were right about!

@ZioRen

@Xylo Ren

lol! lol! lol!

Well, they're not wrong...

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria Antonietta on Sun 23 Apr - 12:43

IoJovi wrote:
Xylo Ren wrote:

@ZioRen

@Xylo Ren

lol! lol! lol!

Well, they're not wrong...
@IoJovi

Omg riding Solo! A gem lol!
Maria Antonietta
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Sun 23 Apr - 13:52

Xylo Ren wrote:

@ZioRen

2. Rey will be Riding Solo ;) ;) ;)

Can add to that list that if/when that part happens, or even if Rey so much as has a civil conversation with him, there's going to be some 'fans' who engage in the type of S__ Shaming that happened with Nancy Wheeler in Stranger Things because
Spoiler:
she subverts tropes/expectations by not getting punished/killed for having sex, pretty clearly likes and makes the choice of staying with the 'bad boy' character (who learns/grows from his mistakes and genuinely cares for her and supports her), and in general for not getting ticked into the audience identification box that Barb's fans have placed her in.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Rimfaxe96 on Sun 23 Apr - 18:27

Helix wrote:Disney may be a marketing machine, but it is true they wouldn't make a TON of Kylo merch if it didn't sell. You don't see many Jar Jar figures these days vs. the initial TPM toy launch.
@Helix

Good point. And by the end of this year it'll probably be the porgs plushies every kid will be killing for. Laughing
Rimfaxe96
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by MeadowofAshes on Sun 23 Apr - 19:23

Thought this might be appreciated here. Very Happy

MeadowofAshes
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ReyofLightSide on Sun 23 Apr - 19:37

The Resistance symbol is hidden in Kylo's robes- redemption? Is he the one who warned them? (TFA movie poster)
ReyofLightSide
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Sun 23 Apr - 22:29

Here's another long-time prediction from this site which the new intel certainly isn't disproving, the Ache-to side of the story will be like The Tempest with those three characters roughly being akin to Prospero, Ferdinand/Caliban, and Miranda. Prospero is a powerful and exiled wizard who causes storms that force the ships of the people who forced him into power to run aground. Caliban resents/fears Prospero for his forced servitude, both Caliban and Ferdinand desire Miranda, Miranda is idealistic, drawn to Ferdinand despite Prospero's warnings, and eventually forces the warring factions to come together and make peace through her relationship with Ferdinand.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dementor on Sun 23 Apr - 23:55

Piper Maru wrote:41. Kylo is the Skywalker in The Force Awakens (Pablo Hidalgo)

@Piper Maru

Let's not forget Daisy's coinciding response from the same event:

Back to top Go down

Post by Helix on Sun 23 Apr - 23:59

It was so telling and all the attempted backtracking was just fluff. I'm surprised people fell for the backtracking, but I guess that's just devoted people were to ReySky.
Helix
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Mon 24 Apr - 0:26

snufkin wrote:Here's another long-time prediction from this site which the new intel certainly isn't disproving, the Ache-to side of the story will be like The Tempest with those three characters roughly being akin to Prospero, Ferdinand/Caliban, and Miranda. Prospero is a powerful and exiled wizard who causes storms that force the ships of the people who forced him into power to run aground. Caliban resents/fears Prospero for his forced servitude, both Caliban and Ferdinand desire Miranda, Miranda is idealistic, drawn to Ferdinand despite Prospero's warnings, and eventually forces the warring factions to come together and make peace through her relationship with Ferdinand.
@snufkin

It's been a very long time since I've seen any production of The Tempest, and I don't remember many specifics about it, but I remember us speculating on this around the time that we first learned that Kylo would be coming to Ahch-To.

That teaser poster with the three of them (and Rey symbolically in a place to bridge the gap) is definitely giving me those vibes again.

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Mon 24 Apr - 0:56

ISeeAnIsland wrote:
snufkin wrote:Here's another long-time prediction from this site which the new intel certainly isn't disproving, the Ache-to side of the story will be like The Tempest with those three characters roughly being akin to Prospero, Ferdinand/Caliban, and Miranda. Prospero is a powerful and exiled wizard who causes storms that force the ships of the people who forced him into power to run aground. Caliban resents/fears Prospero for his forced servitude, both Caliban and Ferdinand desire Miranda, Miranda is idealistic, drawn to Ferdinand despite Prospero's warnings, and eventually forces the warring factions to come together and make peace through her relationship with Ferdinand.
@snufkin

It's been a very long time since I've seen any production of The Tempest, and I don't remember many specifics about it, but I remember us speculating on this around the time that we first learned that Kylo would be coming to Ahch-To.

That teaser poster with the three of them (and Rey symbolically in a place to bridge the gap) is definitely giving me those vibes again.

@ISeeAnIsland

Ha, found my original post from the day when everybody freaked out over our conclusion that he'd follow her there was proven correct by the paparazzi.

I had to read it for two different classes (including reading Miranda's part out loud in class) and lived in the Caribbean where the Prospero-Caliban relationship is seen as a metaphor for colonialism and The Other. So enough of it stuck in my brain that the rumored outline of the Ache-to sequence alone reminded me of it. This is copy/paste of what I'd posted before:

The ending of Rey and Luke on that island immediately made me think of Prospero, powerful magician exiled by the power plays of his enemies, and Miranda. Although in this case she's not his daughter, just the young woman under his charge who's idealistic and has spent most of her young life isolated from human society. KR showing up is maybe a hybrid of both Caliban (Prospero was Master to this Monster) and Ferdinand (her suitor). Miranda has rejected Caliban's blatantly sexual advances because he's a monster (sound familiar?) but is wooed by the more romantic Ferdinand, who is a prince (again, sound famliar?). He's a man with a dual identity as a Monstah (Caliban) and a Prince (Ferdinand). Each one desires and wants to have Miranda. The attraction between her and the Prince is immediate and powerful. He wins her through his hard work and steadfastness. Snoke and the First Order are Antonio and the plotting court of Milan who forced Prospero into exile. Prospero also resolves to "drown his books" because the magic he's been practicing is too powerful.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin on Mon 24 Apr - 1:49

snufkin wrote:
ISeeAnIsland wrote:
@snufkin

@ISeeAnIsland

Ha, found my original post from the day when everybody freaked out over our conclusion that he'd follow her there was proven correct by the paparazzi.

I had to read it for two different classes (including reading Miranda's part out loud in class) and lived in the Caribbean where the Prospero-Caliban relationship is seen as a metaphor for colonialism and The Other. So enough of it stuck in my brain that the rumored outline of the Ache-to sequence alone reminded me of it. This is copy/paste of what I'd posted before:

The ending of Rey and Luke on that island immediately made me think of Prospero, powerful magician exiled by the power plays of his enemies, and Miranda. Although in this case she's not his daughter, just the young woman under his charge who's idealistic and has spent most of her young life isolated from human society. KR showing up is maybe a hybrid of both Caliban (Prospero was Master to this Monster) and Ferdinand (her suitor). Miranda has rejected Caliban's blatantly sexual advances because he's a monster (sound familiar?) but is wooed by the more romantic Ferdinand, who is a prince (again, sound famliar?). He's a man with a dual identity as a Monstah (Caliban) and a Prince (Ferdinand). Each one desires and wants to have Miranda. The attraction between her and the Prince is immediate and powerful. He wins her through his hard work and steadfastness. Snoke and the First Order are Antonio and the plotting court of Milan who forced Prospero into exile. Prospero also resolves to "drown his books" because the magic he's been practicing is too powerful.
@snufkin

I am glad that you rediscovered this. :-)  This all seems very on the mark ... especially this "drown his books" bit with Luke.
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Mon 24 Apr - 2:14

@SoloSideCousin - too bad you couldn't have casually asked a certain film director which was his favorite Shakespearean play when you got the chance to meet him ; ).  I mean, The Godfather II of the ST or its Wrath of Khan also work. But the last line of the trailer certainly does sound like somebody who's resolved to drown his books because of the trouble they've caused.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by MoonFyre on Mon 24 Apr - 6:21

This thread just keeps on getting better. One more thing though:

source

The Times Magazine called it while everybody else was busy raving about Finn/Poe and Rey’s parentage. Razz
MoonFyre
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Maru on Mon 24 Apr - 8:16

Hahahahaha "the sexual energy between them is strange and unsettling, like a theremin sonata only they can hear".

How can people believe they are related. It's so obvious that Kylo has the hots for Rey.
Piper Maru
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria Antonietta on Mon 24 Apr - 8:20

Piper Maru wrote:Hahahahaha "the sexual energy between them is strange and unsettling, like a theremin sonata only they can hear".

How can people believe they are related. It's so obvious that Kylo has the hots for Rey.
@Piper Maru

He has fee-fees! lol!
Maria Antonietta
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Saracene on Mon 24 Apr - 9:06

Piper Maru wrote:Hahahahaha "the sexual energy between them is strange and unsettling, like a theremin sonata only they can hear".

@Piper Maru

Stephanie Zacharek rocks. Can't wait to see what she writes about TLJ Smile
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://yggdrasille.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Xylo Ren on Fri 28 Apr - 17:52

Idk what number we're on, #50?

50. Rey's wardrobe will eventually evolve into a darker color scheme (grey) and Kylo's will get lighter. (Battlefront pics, ornament)
51. Kylo's "Vader cape" is merely an interpretation, and it's not literally Vader's cape (Battlefront pics, MSW backtrack)
Xylo Ren
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini on Sat 29 Apr - 6:18

My tumblr yin yang meta from a long time ago in a galaxy far away

Xylo Ren wrote:Idk what number we're on, #50?

50. Rey's wardrobe will eventually evolve into a darker color scheme (grey) and Kylo's will get lighter. (Battlefront pics, ornament)
51. Kylo's "Vader cape" is merely an interpretation, and it's not literally Vader's cape (Battlefront pics, MSW backtrack)
@Xylo Ren

And so the consumption begins...again...months ago folks

Gemini
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum