Rey and Kylo - Beauty and the Beast, Scavenger and the Monstah, Their Bond, His Love, Her Confused Feelings

Page 16 of 26 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 21 ... 26  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Rey and Kylo - Beauty and the Beast, Scavenger and the Monstah, Their Bond, His Love, Her Confused Feelings

Post by spacebaby45678 on Fri 9 Jun - 4:11

@snufkin wrote:Because the topic of soap operas has come up before, I thought this was a funny comment in a story about the telenovela genre crossing borders from Latin America to Africa because the pretty young girl full of optimism and energy leaves her rural, backwater community to enter the larger world and gets caught up with the doings of a powerful family is straight up Rey's story.

Why East Africa is Hooked on Telenovelas

"A girl comes from the village and she gets a job as a nanny or housemaid in a big mansion ... She's pretty, and the father of the house sees her," she says.

And we know that Peter Bradshaw of the Guardian doesn't just think that George Lucas is a soap fan, but wrote a whole essay on soaps where he compared Han and Leia to Sybil and Branson in Downton Abbey.
@snufkin

Is that Maria De La Barrio? It is on Netflix and I have started watching it. The subtitles helps my Spanish while enjoying my fav genre

spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Re: Rey and Kylo - Beauty and the Beast, Scavenger and the Monstah, Their Bond, His Love, Her Confused Feelings

Post by SkyStar on Fri 9 Jun - 5:03

@spacebaby45678 wrote:
@snufkin wrote:Because the topic of soap operas has come up before, I thought this was a funny comment in a story about the telenovela genre crossing borders from Latin America to Africa because the pretty young girl full of optimism and energy leaves her rural, backwater community to enter the larger world and gets caught up with the doings of a powerful family is straight up Rey's story.

Why East Africa is Hooked on Telenovelas

"A girl comes from the village and she gets a job as a nanny or housemaid in a big mansion ... She's pretty, and the father of the house sees her," she says.

And we know that Peter Bradshaw of the Guardian doesn't just think that George Lucas is a soap fan, but wrote a whole essay on soaps where he compared Han and Leia to Sybil and Branson in Downton Abbey.
@snufkin

Is that Maria De La Barrio? It is on Netflix and I have started watching it. The subtitles helps my Spanish while enjoying my fav genre

@spacebaby45678

oh wow, I grow up watching these soaps on TV, because they broadcasted them exactly at the time I usually returned from school. cheers
SkyStar
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Fri 9 Jun - 9:24

Thanks to that whole article, I've been thinking all morning that a Han Solo telenovella would be like Dos Mujeres, Un Camino.

@spacebaby45678 - Maria de la Barrio does live in the dump and is a garbage picker for a living, just like Rey!

snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by LastCrusadeLeft on Sun 11 Jun - 5:50

I know it's just a game and you can CHOOSE battlegrounds for your characters to fight on, right!?

But of all places ...why did they put THESE TWO into Maz' castle on Takodana!?  Smile

LastCrusadeLeft
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Sun 11 Jun - 5:52

@LastCrusadeLeft wrote:I know it's just a game and you can CHOOSE battlegrounds for your characters to fight on, right!?

But of all places ...why did they put THESE TWO into Maz' castle on Takodana!?  Smile

@LastCrusadeLeft

Many couples like to revisit the spot where they first met to keep that spark alive... Laughing

Not that these two have any issue with that. Look at them!

Yeah.  Keep telling yourself that, buddy...
IoJovi

Back to top Go down

Post by WhatGirl on Sun 11 Jun - 7:55

@IoJovi wrote:
@LastCrusadeLeft wrote:I know it's just a game and you can CHOOSE battlegrounds for your characters to fight on, right!?

@LastCrusadeLeft

Many couples like to revisit the spot where they first met to keep that spark alive... Laughing

Not that these two have any issue with that.  Look at them!
@IoJovi

"You’re probably going to have a castle, and a prince and a princess, if you’re looking at a fairy tale. We wanted to give these sort of, fundamental, not cosmetic, but, sort of, prerequisite elements. These locations in which we can set our new story and our new characters.”
--JJ Abrams, TFA director's commentary.
WhatGirl
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Sun 11 Jun - 10:10

RE: the ______ killed Rey's parents, when I've read them, they just seem like too much of an easy out to be both shocking and get her on the same side or against whatever character. Plus there's the logistics of what the heck were these people doing all that time after dropping off tiny Rey on Jakku with Unkar Plutt before meeting up with Luke and/or Ben to get dramatically killed off. It just seems too much like dropping an anvil on the characters. My best bet has been that because family is this sacred value to Rey, which she's idealized to the point of pathology in staying on Jakku. So finding out whatever went down at Uncle Luke's Bible Camp with the galaxy's most prominent family would shake her up. More important is that it could potentially make her more critical of Luke, the person who's supposed to be her hero/ally/mentor/good guy, and also more sympathetic towards Ben, who's her antagonist/a Monstah. Having this happen while she's also free of her emotional blinders to question whether or not her own family dumped her, I could see that happening and potentially being a huge blow/shock to her. It'd also follow what science fiction critic and writer Charles Jane Anders has discussedabout the difference between a genuinely good twist versus a mediocre one

A meh twist pulls the rug out from under the audience. But a good twist pulls the rug out from under the characters.

The first kind of twist is just pulling one over on the viewers, or readers. The second is creating a situation where the characters themselves believe that something is the case, and then find out they were wrong.

The latter kind of twist is always going to have more emotional impact, because it actually affects the characters in a visceral way. We care about people who make mistakes, and we root for people who screw up for the best possible reasons. We also feel a surprise a lot more when it's just as much a surprise to the characters as it is to us.

In other words, I have a hard time thinking that a big shocking twist would be for Rey to find out that Luke killed her parents and destroyed her family when there's already the set up in place for her to have her idealism (both about families and the Jedi) if she learns that the screw-ups of Luke et all led to Ben Solo becoming Kylo Ren. And that for Ben, it may have felt like the only option he had after being lied to and whatever else happened with the fallout from whatever Luke's was doing with both the Jedi and his father's legacy. Luke certainly sounds a little in denial about who his father was from Leia's PoV in Bloodline.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Sun 11 Jun - 17:15

So I've decided to jump on the Battlefront II bandwagon and get the game when it comes out. While I'm of course excited to play Kylo against Rey, the entire game looks amazing. I don't own a PlayStation 4 or an XBox One. I'll make a decision on that soon, but I know others plan on purchasing it and it's be awesome to play with you guys online.

IoJovi

Back to top Go down

Post by AppleCrumble122 on Sun 11 Jun - 17:25

@IoJovi wrote:So I've decided to jump on the Battlefront II bandwagon and get the game when it comes out. While I'm of course excited to play Kylo against Rey, the entire game looks amazing. I don't own a PlayStation 4 or an XBox One. I'll make a decision on that soon, but I know others plan on purchasing it and it's be awesome to play with you guys online.
@IoJovi

PS4! PS4! PS4! Wink
AppleCrumble122
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Sun 11 Jun - 17:27

@AppleCrumble122 wrote:
@IoJovi wrote:So I've decided to jump on the Battlefront II bandwagon and get the game when it comes out. While I'm of course excited to play Kylo against Rey, the entire game looks amazing. I don't own a PlayStation 4 or an XBox One. I'll make a decision on that soon, but I know others plan on purchasing it and it's be awesome to play with you guys online.
@IoJovi

PS4! PS4! PS4! Wink
@AppleCrumble122

Thanks for the recommendation!!! I'm already leaning towards that based on what I've read. Best Buy also has a refurbished one right now for $80. I'm iffy on refurbs but man that's a smoking deal.

IoJovi

Back to top Go down

Post by AppleCrumble122 on Sun 11 Jun - 17:29

@IoJovi wrote:
@AppleCrumble122 wrote:
@IoJovi

PS4! PS4! PS4! Wink
@AppleCrumble122

Thanks for the recommendation!!! I'm already leaning towards that based on what I've read. Best Buy also has a refurbished one right now for $80. I'm iffy on refurbs but man that's a smoking deal.
@IoJovi

Well why not? You could also get TFA Lego video game! Completely with Kylo dirty talk LOL! Wink
AppleCrumble122
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Helix on Sun 11 Jun - 17:29

@IoJovi wrote:
@AppleCrumble122 wrote:
@IoJovi

PS4! PS4! PS4! Wink
@AppleCrumble122

@IoJovi

PS4 for sure. It's the better system all around.
Helix
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by AppleCrumble122 on Sun 11 Jun - 17:30

@Helix wrote:
@IoJovi wrote:
@AppleCrumble122 wrote:
@IoJovi

PS4! PS4! PS4! Wink
@AppleCrumble122

@IoJovi

@Helix

You gonna get the game too Helix?
AppleCrumble122
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Sun 11 Jun - 17:33

Well that seals it then, guys! bounce

This is going to be so much fun. @AppleCrumble122 I'm assuming you already have the PS4? How easy is it to play with others online? I'm hoping there's a way to communicate while playing as that would make it even more fun.

IoJovi

Back to top Go down

Post by Kessel on Sun 11 Jun - 17:34

I'm still on the fence whether I'll get Battlefront 2. I already have the first Battlefront and I like it, but I don't have as much time to play it as I'd like. We'll see.
Kessel
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Helix on Sun 11 Jun - 17:35

@AppleCrumble122 wrote:
@Helix wrote:
@IoJovi wrote:
@AppleCrumble122 wrote:
@IoJovi

PS4! PS4! PS4! Wink
@AppleCrumble122

@IoJovi

@Helix

You gonna get the game too Helix?
@AppleCrumble122

Most likely! PS4 also has a bigger playerbase ( just vs. Xbox. PC has a big one, too, but requires good computer specs ) and Sony always has better exclusive titles ( like Bloodborne, The Last Guardian ). It's astoundingly better.
Helix
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by AppleCrumble122 on Sun 11 Jun - 17:37

@IoJovi wrote:Well that seals it then, guys! bounce

This is going to be so much fun. @AppleCrumble122 I'm assuming you already have the PS4? How easy is it to play with others online? I'm hoping there's a way to communicate while playing as that would make it even more fun.
@IoJovi

Well, you have to subscribe to Playstation Plus in order to play online, but it's worth it. They offer very good deals on other games and DLC. And you should get a special headset that allows you to communicate with other players. If that's not included you can buy it separately. Then all you need to do is make a PS ID and account and add other players to your friends list! Very Happy
AppleCrumble122
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Helix on Sun 11 Jun - 17:39

You can also buy older games ( like PS1 era ) off the PS store. It's really great. Online play is super simple, I've messed around in Destiny enough and even with my mediocre connection it's fine.
Helix
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Sun 11 Jun - 18:01

Cool I looked up PlayStation Plus and it's $17 for a three month subscription. That's pretty reasonable.

IoJovi

Back to top Go down

Post by AppleCrumble122 on Sun 11 Jun - 18:03

@IoJovi wrote:Cool I looked up PlayStation Plus and it's $17 for a three month subscription. That's pretty reasonable.
@IoJovi

There you go! You can get it when the game comes out! Very Happy
AppleCrumble122
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Geralt_Riv on Mon 12 Jun - 10:49

Am I the only PC gamer there? I still don't know if I will buy this game. If it would be cheaper yes but now it's too expensive for a game. And I don't have much time. When I have time, I play the first Battlefront and I really like it. I need to see if the Battlefront 2 is worth the money EA wants.
Geralt_Riv
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Rimfaxe96 on Mon 12 Jun - 12:19

@IoJovi wrote:
@AppleCrumble122 wrote:
@IoJovi wrote:So I've decided to jump on the Battlefront II bandwagon and get the game when it comes out.  While I'm of course excited to play Kylo against  Rey, the entire game looks amazing.  I don't own a PlayStation 4 or an XBox One.  I'll make a decision on that soon, but I know others plan on purchasing it and it's be awesome to play with you guys online.  
@IoJovi

PS4! PS4! PS4! Wink
@AppleCrumble122

Thanks for the recommendation!!!  I'm already leaning towards that based on what I've read.  Best Buy also has a refurbished one right now for $80.  I'm iffy on refurbs but man that's a smoking deal.  
@IoJovi

Xbox fanboy < Sony Pony Cool

@Geralt_Riv wrote:Am I the only PC gamer there? I still don't know if I will buy this game. If it would be cheaper yes but now it's too expensive for a game. And I don't have much time. When I have time, I play the first Battlefront and I really like it. I need to see if the Battlefront 2 is worth the money EA wants.
@Geralt_Riv

Nah, you're not. I only play PC nowadays (although I adored the PS2 for a very long time; but consoles and their constant releases of new ones made me reject them altogether), perfect for playing online games and The Elder Scrolls. Very Happy
Rimfaxe96
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by panki on Mon 12 Jun - 12:56

I'm on the fence about whether to get the ps4 version or the pc version....I like PC games more so not sure.

http://starwarstheorist.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Mon 12 Jun - 13:01

@panki wrote:I'm on the fence about whether to get the ps4 version or the pc version....I like PC games more so not sure.
@panki

All I have is a MacBook air for my personal computer which I have no intention of replacing any time soon.  So PS4 it is for me.  After a quick search, there's tons of options out there for a console under $200.  

@Rimfaxe96 I know the pain of manufacturers coming out with a new console every few years and it's aggravating.  I have an XBox 360 that's 10 years old.  I think I paid $400 for it back in the day.  Granted 10 years is a long time but for that much you'd expect the ability for software updates rather than having to buy a brand newachine every three or four years.

It's been like that though since the dawn of video games 40 years ago and I don't see that changing any time soon.

IoJovi

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin on Mon 12 Jun - 13:05

@Geralt_Riv wrote:Am I the only PC gamer there? I still don't know if I will buy this game. If it would be cheaper yes but now it's too expensive for a game. And I don't have much time. When I have time, I play the first Battlefront and I really like it. I need to see if the Battlefront 2 is worth the money EA wants.
@Geralt_Riv

My husband and I are going to play together and since he hates consoles for some reason, I will be on a PC. :-)
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 26 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 21 ... 26  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum