Discussions: Tweets/Instagram

Page 35 of 40 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Discussions: Tweets/Instagram

Post by IoJovi on 6/20/2017, 7:46 pm

@AppleCrumble122 wrote:It could also mean the new female leads in general. Jyn also lead a group of damaged men. Cassian was conflicted about what he did for the Rebellion, Bodhi wanted to redeem himself after serving the Empire, Baze lost faith in his beliefs and he and Chirrut had their homeworld destroyed.
@AppleCrumble122

Awesome tweet regardless.  I laughed out loud.  It's also wouldn't be the first Reylo friendly tweet Pablo has made by far (if indeed that's what it is.)  I do suppose this could apply to Han and Leia as well, in addition to Padme and Anakin.  Still, Rey and Kylo fit this trope the most out of any of them.

@Lovely_Rose I agree on that entirely.
avatar
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 6466
Likes : 36467
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25
Age : 101
Localisation : Atlanta, GA

Back to top Go down

Re: Discussions: Tweets/Instagram

Post by ISeeAnIsland on 6/20/2017, 7:49 pm

@snufkin wrote:
@MeadowofAshes wrote:*cough* Rey *cough*

Now I'm imagining Kylo singing "If I could only think with my brain!"
@MeadowofAshes

As opposed to thinking with a different part of his anatomy :p? Snoke does have a bit of a "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain" vibe to him? Though I still prefer the original Dorothy in the books, no Judy Garland trembling voice, crying, or resorting to gender stereotypes. Original Dorothy is a straight forward pragmatist and bad a**, which at least so far is more in line with how Rey's been portrayed. Baum based her on his wife, who was an OG suffragette.
@snufkin

Not Wizard of Oz canon, I prefer Elphaba over Dorothy. Evil AND Elphaba did get the guy.
avatar
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 4822
Likes : 25313
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25
Localisation : Seattle, WA

Back to top Go down

Re: Discussions: Tweets/Instagram

Post by snufkin on 6/20/2017, 8:04 pm

@ISeeAnIsland - anything is better than the Sam Raimi version where it's just that the witches all can't help themselves around James Franco (why does this sound like The Beguiling?) and he's the reason why the Wicked Witch goes bad. I love the books! My mom got to tour his private residence in Clairemont years ago when she first moved to California. And we used to go to the Del for Christmas every year, so I always asked the staff in the main ballroom during dinner about the stained glass windows Baum designed.
avatar
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 6124
Likes : 26692
Date d'inscription : 2016-04-16
Localisation : it's in the chorus of Pavement's "Unfair"

Back to top Go down

Re: Discussions: Tweets/Instagram

Post by SoloSideCousin on 6/20/2017, 8:45 pm

@ISeeAnIsland wrote:
@snufkin wrote:
@MeadowofAshes wrote:*cough* Rey *cough*

Now I'm imagining Kylo singing "If I could only think with my brain!"
@MeadowofAshes

As opposed to thinking with a different part of his anatomy :p? Snoke does have a bit of a "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain" vibe to him? Though I still prefer the original Dorothy in the books, no Judy Garland trembling voice, crying, or resorting to gender stereotypes. Original Dorothy is a straight forward pragmatist and bad a**, which at least so far is more in line with how Rey's been portrayed. Baum based her on his wife, who was an OG suffragette.
@snufkin

Not Wizard of Oz canon, I prefer Elphaba over Dorothy. Evil   AND Elphaba did get the guy.
@ISeeAnIsland

Now we're talking!!!!!! I have only seen Wicked performed once live, but it was during the first national tour, and I swear that Elphaba I saw actually seemed better than Idina Menzel. I mean WOW she was good! I freaking *love* Wicked! Talk about some layered female awesomeness. Very Happy
avatar
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 3921
Likes : 17893
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Discussions: Tweets/Instagram

Post by MeadowofAshes on 6/20/2017, 8:53 pm

@SoloSideCousin wrote:
@ISeeAnIsland wrote:
@snufkin wrote:
@MeadowofAshes wrote:*cough* Rey *cough*

Now I'm imagining Kylo singing "If I could only think with my brain!"
@MeadowofAshes

As opposed to thinking with a different part of his anatomy :p? Snoke does have a bit of a "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain" vibe to him? Though I still prefer the original Dorothy in the books, no Judy Garland trembling voice, crying, or resorting to gender stereotypes. Original Dorothy is a straight forward pragmatist and bad a**, which at least so far is more in line with how Rey's been portrayed. Baum based her on his wife, who was an OG suffragette.
@snufkin

Not Wizard of Oz canon, I prefer Elphaba over Dorothy. Evil   AND Elphaba did get the guy.
@ISeeAnIsland

Now we're talking!!!!!! I have only seen Wicked performed once live, but it was during the first national tour, and I swear that Elphaba I saw actually seemed better than Idina Menzel. I mean WOW she was good! I freaking *love* Wicked! Talk about some layered female awesomeness. Very Happy
@SoloSideCousin I got to see it in NYC in 2014. That experience was absolutely magical. It'll probably be one of the first musicals I take the twins to when they're old enough.
avatar
MeadowofAshes
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1758
Likes : 9845
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

Re: Discussions: Tweets/Instagram

Post by SoloSideCousin on 6/20/2017, 8:58 pm

@MeadowofAshes wrote:
@SoloSideCousin wrote:
@ISeeAnIsland wrote:
@snufkin wrote:
@MeadowofAshes wrote:*cough* Rey *cough*

Now I'm imagining Kylo singing "If I could only think with my brain!"
@MeadowofAshes

As opposed to thinking with a different part of his anatomy :p? Snoke does have a bit of a "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain" vibe to him? Though I still prefer the original Dorothy in the books, no Judy Garland trembling voice, crying, or resorting to gender stereotypes. Original Dorothy is a straight forward pragmatist and bad a**, which at least so far is more in line with how Rey's been portrayed. Baum based her on his wife, who was an OG suffragette.
@snufkin

Not Wizard of Oz canon, I prefer Elphaba over Dorothy. Evil   AND Elphaba did get the guy.
@ISeeAnIsland

Now we're talking!!!!!! I have only seen Wicked performed once live, but it was during the first national tour, and I swear that Elphaba I saw actually seemed better than Idina Menzel. I mean WOW she was good! I freaking *love* Wicked! Talk about some layered female awesomeness. Very Happy
@SoloSideCousin I got to see it in NYC in 2014. That experience was absolutely magical. It'll probably be one of the first musicals I take the twins to when they're old enough.
@MeadowofAshes

Ooohhh that's a great idea! My daughter would love Wicked and she's a little older than your twins.  I will need to look for a good production of it because I want her to be blown away by the experience.  Thanks for the good thought! Very Happy
avatar
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 3921
Likes : 17893
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Discussions: Tweets/Instagram

Post by Armadeus on 6/20/2017, 9:00 pm

@snufkin wrote:@ISeeAnIsland - anything is better than the Sam Raimi version where it's just that the witches all can't help themselves around James Franco (why does this sound like The Beguiling?) and he's the reason why the Wicked Witch goes bad. I love the books! My mom got to tour his private residence in Clairemont years ago when she first moved to California. And we used to go to the Del for Christmas every year, so I always asked the staff in the main ballroom during dinner about the stained glass windows Baum designed.
@snufkin

Christ, that movie...

Rachel Weisz' involvement is what suckered me into watching it because she was my first screen crush Razz

But damn that movie was the personification of 'disappointing'. Why the studio didn't approach someone like GdT is beyond me...
avatar
Armadeus
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1159
Likes : 3448
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-28
Localisation : Seychelles

https://www.fictionpress.com/u/564105/

Back to top Go down

Re: Discussions: Tweets/Instagram

Post by MeadowofAshes on 6/20/2017, 9:15 pm

@Armadeus Rachel Weisz wasn't my first, but she's a definite screen crush. <3 She actually has a range beyond Mummy type stuff. She was fantastic in The Shape of Things.
avatar
MeadowofAshes
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1758
Likes : 9845
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

Re: Discussions: Tweets/Instagram

Post by snufkin on 6/20/2017, 9:18 pm

@Armadeus - I don't know if Oz is in the public domain here in the States. But every time I hear about a 'reboot' or re-imagining, it's like, have you read the original books and seen the illustrations Jon R Neill did for them (so amazing I've considered getting one as a tattoo)?? Because if you are familiar with that source material, it would write itself for something amazing. I also extra hate on that movie because they did a tie-in rerelease of the originals. In which James Franco writes the introduction but it's never about the book or character itself, it's all about himself. Which is boring and self indulgent, but way to take one of the best female characters/heroines in the English language and turn it as an opportunity to talk about yourself :p.

Speaking of Weisz, I don't know if you or @MeadowofAshes have seen Rian Johnson's Brothers Bloom, but she's the best thing in that movie. I wouldn't be surprised if Penelope (her character) is the reason why he was hired to write TLJ and figure things out for Rey.
avatar
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 6124
Likes : 26692
Date d'inscription : 2016-04-16
Localisation : it's in the chorus of Pavement's "Unfair"

Back to top Go down

Re: Discussions: Tweets/Instagram

Post by Armadeus on 6/20/2017, 9:37 pm

@MeadowofAshes

Oh, definitely. Although I first saw her in The Mummy franchise, it's her roles in films like The Constant Gardner and the more recent The Lobster where she shines Very Happy I'm also looking forward to My Cousin Rachel.

@snufkin

My usual complaint with 'adaptations' is that they tend to be done by people who seem to have next to no knowledge of the source material. There was a time when film makers actually seemed to read the books their films were based on.

Regarding Oz the Great and Powerful, I was confused as to whether it was intended to be a prequel to the books or the film. I mean, the Wicked Witch of the West has the green skin, so that's a point for the argument that it's tied to the film. But the Cowardly Lion is a CG animal... so... the book?

Seriously? Franco? That's like having Tom Cruise write an introduction to H. G. Wells' The War of the Worlds *cold shiver*. I guess if Franco had been a fan of the books it would have been fine, but from what you've said that wasn't the case.
avatar
Armadeus
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1159
Likes : 3448
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-28
Localisation : Seychelles

https://www.fictionpress.com/u/564105/

Back to top Go down

Re: Discussions: Tweets/Instagram

Post by ISeeAnIsland on 6/20/2017, 9:47 pm

@SoloSideCousin wrote:
@MeadowofAshes wrote:
@SoloSideCousin wrote:
@ISeeAnIsland wrote:
@snufkin wrote:
@MeadowofAshes wrote:*cough* Rey *cough*

Now I'm imagining Kylo singing "If I could only think with my brain!"
@MeadowofAshes

As opposed to thinking with a different part of his anatomy :p? Snoke does have a bit of a "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain" vibe to him? Though I still prefer the original Dorothy in the books, no Judy Garland trembling voice, crying, or resorting to gender stereotypes. Original Dorothy is a straight forward pragmatist and bad a**, which at least so far is more in line with how Rey's been portrayed. Baum based her on his wife, who was an OG suffragette.
@snufkin

Not Wizard of Oz canon, I prefer Elphaba over Dorothy. Evil   AND Elphaba did get the guy.
@ISeeAnIsland

Now we're talking!!!!!! I have only seen Wicked performed once live, but it was during the first national tour, and I swear that Elphaba I saw actually seemed better than Idina Menzel. I mean WOW she was good! I freaking *love* Wicked! Talk about some layered female awesomeness. Very Happy
@SoloSideCousin I got to see it in NYC in 2014. That experience was absolutely magical. It'll probably be one of the first musicals I take the twins to when they're old enough.
@MeadowofAshes

Ooohhh that's a great idea! My daughter would love Wicked and she's a little older than your twins.  I will need to look for a good production of it because I want her to be blown away by the experience.  Thanks for the good thought! Very Happy
@SoloSideCousin

I've, um, seen the various touring productions of Wicked four times. The last time was literally the night before I went into labor with my daughter (she was a week early). We'd actually bought tickets before I'd even gotten pregnant, but they wound up being a day before my due date or something like that, and the ticket office was kind enough to let us just exchange for another night earlier in the run.

And I won't lie--one of my first thoughts upon finding out that I was having a girl was "When she's old enough, I want to take her to see Wicked!"
avatar
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 4822
Likes : 25313
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25
Localisation : Seattle, WA

Back to top Go down

Re: Discussions: Tweets/Instagram

Post by SoloSideCousin on 6/20/2017, 10:01 pm

@ISeeAnIsland wrote:
@SoloSideCousin wrote:
@MeadowofAshes wrote:
@SoloSideCousin wrote:
@ISeeAnIsland wrote:
@snufkin wrote:
@MeadowofAshes wrote:*cough* Rey *cough*

Now I'm imagining Kylo singing "If I could only think with my brain!"
@MeadowofAshes

As opposed to thinking with a different part of his anatomy :p? Snoke does have a bit of a "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain" vibe to him? Though I still prefer the original Dorothy in the books, no Judy Garland trembling voice, crying, or resorting to gender stereotypes. Original Dorothy is a straight forward pragmatist and bad a**, which at least so far is more in line with how Rey's been portrayed. Baum based her on his wife, who was an OG suffragette.
@snufkin

Not Wizard of Oz canon, I prefer Elphaba over Dorothy. Evil   AND Elphaba did get the guy.
@ISeeAnIsland

Now we're talking!!!!!! I have only seen Wicked performed once live, but it was during the first national tour, and I swear that Elphaba I saw actually seemed better than Idina Menzel. I mean WOW she was good! I freaking *love* Wicked! Talk about some layered female awesomeness. Very Happy
@SoloSideCousin I got to see it in NYC in 2014. That experience was absolutely magical. It'll probably be one of the first musicals I take the twins to when they're old enough.
@MeadowofAshes

Ooohhh that's a great idea! My daughter would love Wicked and she's a little older than your twins.  I will need to look for a good production of it because I want her to be blown away by the experience.  Thanks for the good thought! Very Happy
@SoloSideCousin

I've, um, seen the various touring productions of Wicked four times. The last time was literally the night before I went into labor with my daughter (she was a week early). We'd actually bought tickets before I'd even gotten pregnant, but they wound up being a day before my due date or something like that, and the ticket office was kind enough to let us just exchange for another night earlier in the run.

And I won't lie--one of my first thoughts upon finding out that I was having a girl was "When she's old enough, I want to take her to see Wicked!"
@ISeeAnIsland

I've worried about taking her to live theater because she can be squirmy in the movies and that's in a stadium seat kind of movie theater where there is a lot of room and the sound is loud.  That kind of thing wouldn't go so well in a true Broadway-type theater.  That's why I want to make sure it's a good production because I want her to be so blown away that she can't even think of anything but the play in front of her. 

We have an outdoor theater here where they produce a lot of old Broadway shows and a lot of people bring their kids to those, but they are hit and miss productions, it's always as hot as hell and people are always getting up to get food, lol.  So I definitely don't want that because the atmosphere is always so subpar and there are definitely more misses than hits, lol.  I will have to look at the Broadway feeder theater to see what's on their schedule for the coming year.  She's been going to some theater camps this summer because she likes singing and being dramatic, so Wicked would definitely be a good intro for her. Very Happy
avatar
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 3921
Likes : 17893
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Discussions: Tweets/Instagram

Post by snufkin on 6/20/2017, 10:07 pm

@Armadeus wrote:Seriously? Franco? That's like having Tom Cruise write an introduction to H. G. Wells' The War of the Worlds *cold shiver*. I guess if Franco had been a fan of the books it would have been fine, but from what you've said that wasn't the case.

BIB LOL. Franco's supposedly got multiple degrees from various universities when it comes to literature, so you'd think he'd at least familiarize himself with the books and Baum's biography. Nope, it was "that Dorothy Gale was a cool girl, but lemme tell you about me." I can't think of how that would be interesting either for a YA reader drawn to the material or even somebody curious about his academic credentials to read.
avatar
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 6124
Likes : 26692
Date d'inscription : 2016-04-16
Localisation : it's in the chorus of Pavement's "Unfair"

Back to top Go down

Re: Discussions: Tweets/Instagram

Post by ISeeAnIsland on 6/20/2017, 10:07 pm

@SoloSideCousin wrote:
@ISeeAnIsland wrote:
@SoloSideCousin wrote:
@MeadowofAshes wrote:
@SoloSideCousin wrote:
@ISeeAnIsland wrote:
@snufkin wrote:
@MeadowofAshes wrote:*cough* Rey *cough*

Now I'm imagining Kylo singing "If I could only think with my brain!"
@MeadowofAshes

As opposed to thinking with a different part of his anatomy :p? Snoke does have a bit of a "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain" vibe to him? Though I still prefer the original Dorothy in the books, no Judy Garland trembling voice, crying, or resorting to gender stereotypes. Original Dorothy is a straight forward pragmatist and bad a**, which at least so far is more in line with how Rey's been portrayed. Baum based her on his wife, who was an OG suffragette.
@snufkin

Not Wizard of Oz canon, I prefer Elphaba over Dorothy. Evil   AND Elphaba did get the guy.
@ISeeAnIsland

Now we're talking!!!!!! I have only seen Wicked performed once live, but it was during the first national tour, and I swear that Elphaba I saw actually seemed better than Idina Menzel. I mean WOW she was good! I freaking *love* Wicked! Talk about some layered female awesomeness. Very Happy
@SoloSideCousin I got to see it in NYC in 2014. That experience was absolutely magical. It'll probably be one of the first musicals I take the twins to when they're old enough.
@MeadowofAshes

Ooohhh that's a great idea! My daughter would love Wicked and she's a little older than your twins.  I will need to look for a good production of it because I want her to be blown away by the experience.  Thanks for the good thought! Very Happy
@SoloSideCousin

I've, um, seen the various touring productions of Wicked four times. The last time was literally the night before I went into labor with my daughter (she was a week early). We'd actually bought tickets before I'd even gotten pregnant, but they wound up being a day before my due date or something like that, and the ticket office was kind enough to let us just exchange for another night earlier in the run.

And I won't lie--one of my first thoughts upon finding out that I was having a girl was "When she's old enough, I want to take her to see Wicked!"
@ISeeAnIsland

I've worried about taking her to live theater because she can be squirmy in the movies and that's in a stadium seat kind of movie theater where there is a lot of room and the sound is loud.  That kind of thing wouldn't go so well in a true Broadway-type theater.  That's why I want to make sure it's a good production because I want her to be so blown away that she can't even think of anything but the play in front of her. 

We have an outdoor theater here where they produce a lot of old Broadway shows and a lot of people bring their kids to those, but they are hit and miss productions, it's always as hot as hell and people are always getting up to get food, lol.  So I definitely don't want that because the atmosphere is always so subpar and there are definitely more misses than hits, lol.  I will have to look at the Broadway feeder theater to see what's on their schedule for the coming year.  She's been going to some theater camps this summer because she likes singing and being dramatic, so Wicked would definitely be a good intro for her. Very Happy
@SoloSideCousin

Same with mine--we also do theatre camp for those reasons! Although she did really well in Wonder Woman--the hardest part for her was sitting through the 20 minutes of previews (her squirminess then made me awfully nervous, but she calmed down once the movie started).

I'm trying my first Broadway production with her in the fall when Aladdin comes through. My experience has been that there are lots of little kids at the Disney musicals (especially for the matinees, when we usually go). We'll see how she does with that. She does like movie musicals beyond the animated Disney ones, like the original Wizard of Oz, Mamma Mia, etc.
avatar
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 4822
Likes : 25313
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25
Localisation : Seattle, WA

Back to top Go down

Re: Discussions: Tweets/Instagram

Post by ISeeAnIsland on 6/20/2017, 10:36 pm

Sorry for the DP, but I thought this was worth sharing. This is from the guy whose tweets we've been discussing in the Han Solo movie thread:

avatar
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 4822
Likes : 25313
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25
Localisation : Seattle, WA

Back to top Go down

Re: Discussions: Tweets/Instagram

Post by Kylo Men on 6/21/2017, 12:27 am

Rachel Weisz' best performance is in the fantastic The Brothers Bloom, which was written and directed by ....... Rian Johnson, naturally. Just to bring things full circle.

Kylo Men
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Messages : 501
Likes : 1842
Date d'inscription : 2017-05-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Discussions: Tweets/Instagram

Post by vaderito on 6/21/2017, 12:31 am

With Han Solo brouhaha making LF look bad, TLJ trailer is imminent. Stars are lining up. HS firing takes the heat off Book of Henry, trailer takes the heat off HS firing.
avatar
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 9316
Likes : 44295
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Discussions: Tweets/Instagram

Post by SoloSideCousin on 6/21/2017, 1:33 am

@ISeeAnIsland wrote:Sorry for the DP, but I thought this was worth sharing. This is from the guy whose tweets we've been discussing in the Han Solo movie thread:

@ISeeAnIsland

Wow .... This is all very interesting. 

I am not on Twitter, so I can't see everything, but he seems to have a connection to a small movie theater chain.

A friend of mine is family friends with a family that owned a small theater chain ... and those owners knew *a lot* about what was going on in Hollywood.

And remember how CinemaCon had that TLJ trailer with scenes no one else has seen.  It would make sense for these theater chain people to get the heads-up on certain things because they are a vital part of the distribution chain.
avatar
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 3921
Likes : 17893
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Discussions: Tweets/Instagram

Post by Darth_Awakened on 6/21/2017, 1:54 am

If I understood correctly Dorothy = KK as per Pabs & Matt ?

lol!

avatar
Darth_Awakened
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 4081
Likes : 19364
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Re: Discussions: Tweets/Instagram

Post by Kylo Men on 6/21/2017, 5:54 am

@SoloSideCousin wrote:

I am not on Twitter, so I can't see everything, but he seems to have a connection to a small movie theater chain.

The Alamo Drafthouse? Obviously you're not from Texas. Smile

I guess they are small. But growing fast.

Kylo Men
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Messages : 501
Likes : 1842
Date d'inscription : 2017-05-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Discussions: Tweets/Instagram

Post by Tex on 6/21/2017, 7:28 am

@Kylo Men wrote:
@SoloSideCousin wrote:

I am not on Twitter, so I can't see everything, but he seems to have a connection to a small movie theater chain.

The Alamo Drafthouse? Obviously you're not from Texas. Smile

I guess they are small. But growing fast.
@Kylo Men

Love me some Alamo Drafthouse Love
avatar
Tex
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Messages : 455
Likes : 2844
Date d'inscription : 2017-05-07
Age : 26
Localisation : Houston, TX

Back to top Go down

Re: Discussions: Tweets/Instagram

Post by snufkin on 6/21/2017, 7:38 am

They're okay, but I will never get over Landmark buying and then shutting down the Dobie, which was the Austin theater with couches and beer long before the Alamo Drafthouse opened up. It's funny how a lot of chains now are getting booze licenses and bigger seats. Like the whole experience of having to see a movie in those places to begin with is that they already feel soulless and big box.

I'm on my phone so don't have screen shots. But Jon Kasdan, who cowrote the screen play and the bridge scene/Han's death scene with his father is on Twitter and has snarked a lot in recent months on "we're doing a reboot!" Not a stretch to read those comments as being more than making fun of the industry in general.
avatar
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 6124
Likes : 26692
Date d'inscription : 2016-04-16
Localisation : it's in the chorus of Pavement's "Unfair"

Back to top Go down

Re: Discussions: Tweets/Instagram

Post by Tex on 6/21/2017, 7:58 am

@snufkin wrote:They're okay, but I will never get over Landmark buying and then shutting down the Dobie, which was the Austin theater with couches and beer long before the Alamo Drafthouse opened up. It's funny how a lot of chains now are getting booze licenses and bigger seats. Like the whole experience of having to see a movie in those places to begin with is that they already feel soulless and big box.

I'm on my phone so don't have screen shots. But Jon Kasdan, who cowrote the screen play and the bridge scene/Han's death scene with his father is on Twitter and has snarked a lot in recent months on "we're doing a reboot!" Not a stretch to read those comments as being more than making fun of the industry in general.
@snufkin

I actually prefer a more traditional theater, sans the dinner experience. It's to noisy for first time viewings, but I do enjoy the movie parties that Alamo Drafthouse throws. Those are fun. Personally I never found movie theaters to be soulless, but I'm also addicted to popcorn and going to the movies is something that I share with my mother. Perhaps that's why I enjoy going so often, nostalgia? To me the bigger seats and booze is just a way to get the more average movie goer into the theater. They can do a movie and drinks all in one location. Plus, they have to compete now with on demand, same day rental, etc.

Is Jon Kasdan joking about the ST? Or just movies in general?
avatar
Tex
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Messages : 455
Likes : 2844
Date d'inscription : 2017-05-07
Age : 26
Localisation : Houston, TX

Back to top Go down

Re: Discussions: Tweets/Instagram

Post by snufkin on 6/21/2017, 8:06 am

@Tex - I hate big box experiences in general, so I'd take a smaller indie theater (which at this point only exist) in large cities or an old historic one (I saw Lawrence of Arabia in 35mm at the Paramount in Austin) versus a chain. But I agree, the economics of the industry are what they are. Even when I was going to school in Austin, a lot of the old classic theaters were shutting down despite having a solid film community. Even TCM, they do a lot to build community with social media and the festival. But it's not the same how these were more small scale communal experiences

Jon Kasdan's Twitter feed has a lot of jokes about reboots and it's around the time film has been in production. So it's an interesting, coincidence?
avatar
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 6124
Likes : 26692
Date d'inscription : 2016-04-16
Localisation : it's in the chorus of Pavement's "Unfair"

Back to top Go down

Page 35 of 40 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum