Discussions: Tweets/Instagram

Page 37 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Discussions: Tweets/Instagram

Post by vaderito on Sat 24 Jun - 9:44

@tintarelladiluna wrote:

I agree and I don't have any doubt about that. It happened the same with The Last Jedi that turned out to be Gli ultimi Jedi Rolling Eyes I wonder when they'll correct it.

I've read this old meta on tumblr not long ago on the same topic and I loved it, though you've probably already know it: http://kristinships.tumblr.com/post/148141617546/loneliness-and-empathy
A simple yet logical and fascinating explanation I love you
@tintarelladiluna

That meta is awesome and explains why Rey/Kylo scenes strike a chord with so many. Seeing into each other carries more weight and emotional resonance than fluffy running around.

Metas were all the rage up to middle of 2016. Then Reylos discovered podcasting.  Very Happy
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by tintarelladiluna on Sat 24 Jun - 9:54

@vaderito wrote:
@tintarelladiluna wrote:

I agree and I don't have any doubt about that. It happened the same with The Last Jedi that turned out to be Gli ultimi Jedi Rolling Eyes I wonder when they'll correct it.

I've read this old meta on tumblr not long ago on the same topic and I loved it, though you've probably already know it: http://kristinships.tumblr.com/post/148141617546/loneliness-and-empathy
A simple yet logical and fascinating explanation I love you
@tintarelladiluna

That meta is awesome and explains why Rey/Kylo scenes strike a chord with so many. Seeing into each other carries more weight and emotional resonance than fluffy running around.

Metas were all the rage up to middle of 2016. Then Reylos discovered podcasting.  Very Happy
@vaderito

I was almost moved to tears by that meta Embarassed Please, LF, let Reylo be end game!!
tintarelladiluna
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowgirlsamurai on Sat 24 Jun - 11:17

@vaderito wrote:English version is canon. if they wanted to say "I feel your fear" or version of it, pr just "don't be afraid" they would say so. But this ambiguous line that launched 1000 fics is something else. They wanted to sound like a connection.
@vaderito

That's why I always wonder about translations. Especially when it comes to ambiguous lines. Do the translators ask LF to clarify stuff, or do they just translate it the best they can? They definitely can say "Don't be afraid, I feel it too," in Japanese, so why didn't they translate it that way? The translators didn't know what he meant so they played it safe?
Cowgirlsamurai
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by tintarelladiluna on Sat 24 Jun - 11:29

@Cowgirlsamurai wrote:
@vaderito wrote:English version is canon. if they wanted to say "I feel your fear" or version of it, pr just "don't be afraid" they would say so. But this ambiguous line that launched 1000 fics is something else. They wanted to sound like a connection.
@vaderito

That's why I always wonder about translations. Especially when it comes to ambiguous lines. Do the translators ask LF to clarify stuff, or do they just translate it the best they can? They definitely can say "Don't be afraid, I feel it too," in Japanese, so why didn't they translate it that way? The translators didn't know what he meant so they played it safe?
@Cowgirlsamurai

To me it looks like they do whatever they want and add their own reading on it... And the mess around Episode VIII's title is in line with my thoughts. It would have been perfectly possible and correct to say "Non aver paura. Lo percepisco anch'io", whatever it is that they feel, instead they messed it up another time...
tintarelladiluna
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Moonlight13 on Sat 24 Jun - 11:48

@tintarelladiluna wrote:
@Cowgirlsamurai wrote:
@vaderito

@Cowgirlsamurai

To me it looks like they do whatever they want and add their own reading on it... And the mess around Episode VIII's title is in line with my thoughts. It would have been perfectly possible and correct to say "Non aver paura. Lo percepisco anch'io", whatever it is that they feel, instead they messed it up another time...
@tintarelladiluna

That is why I watch the movies in English. Sometimes the dialogues get distorted in translation.
Moonlight13
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by tintarelladiluna on Sat 24 Jun - 11:56

@Moonlight13 wrote:
@tintarelladiluna wrote:
@Cowgirlsamurai wrote:
@vaderito

@Cowgirlsamurai

@tintarelladiluna

That is why I watch the movies in English. Sometimes the dialogues get distorted in translation.
@Moonlight13

Same, same. I've watched TFA several times and only two times in Italian, with my mum that doesn't speak English.
tintarelladiluna
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by BenOrgana on Sat 24 Jun - 12:05

According to Pablo there is no "canon dialogue"

https://twitter.com/pablohidalgo/status/861995296753975296

BenOrgana
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by tintarelladiluna on Sat 24 Jun - 12:25

@BenOrgana wrote:According to Pablo there is no "canon dialogue"

https://twitter.com/pablohidalgo/status/861995296753975296
@BenOrgana

I'm okay with that, since he later adds "For those that NEED there to be an objective SW truth, well, then you gotta accept that every piece of a fiction is a version of that truth."
For example, if we want to analyze Kylo's TFA line "Don't be afraid. I feel it too.", we have to keep in mind that's one version of the "event".
Another version is the one from the adult and junior novelization "Rey - you've seen the map. It's in there. And I am going to take it. Don't be afraid." To me they don't contradict each other, in the sense that you can feel a sort of gentleness and a reassuring and comforting quality in both. The only thing that puzzles me is that "I feel it too" is missing, meaning that we can't rely on the books to understand what do they both feel that Rey doesn't have to be afraid of.
But as long as those slightly different versions don't contradict each other, I'm fine with having several versions of the same "fact".
tintarelladiluna
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by MeadowofAshes on Sat 24 Jun - 13:53

TPTB are probably not at liberty to discuss the further interpretation of "Don't be afraid; I feel it too" yet, beyond the fact there is subtext to the line. Bets are on post-TLJ they'll be able to give more definitive answers.

My mom is a Star Wars fan, but more on the GA side of the house. That line throws her a loop. "But what is he talking about? The Force?" Rey's line after it confuses her even more because it seems to come from nowhere. "I'm not giving you anything." The exchange implies an internal dialogue we're not privy to yet. BUT. It's like Rey suddenly being able to use specific Force powers after her interrogation and Pablo having to explain she got them from Kylo's head like he tried to get information from her. The audience is shown rather than told, so the scene plays how it naturally would. There's an internal dialogue or shared feelings going on; we get to view that from the outside for now.
MeadowofAshes
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Sat 24 Jun - 13:59

I've never seen a movie like TFA where every sentence is interpreted differently and people look for 1000 meanings. Honestly, this is the first and hopefully the last. "Don't be afraid, I feel it too" means what it says - she feels something that scares her and he's telling her she's not alone, he feels it too, no need to be afraid. It's like, I'm here, we'll go through this together. That's really it. Sympathy/empathy/bond.
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by tintarelladiluna on Sat 24 Jun - 14:16

@MeadowofAshes wrote:TPTB are probably not at liberty to discuss the further interpretation of "Don't be afraid; I feel it too" yet, beyond the fact there is subtext to the line. Bets are on post-TLJ they'll be able to give more definitive answers.

My mom is a Star Wars fan, but more on the GA side of the house. That line throws her a loop. "But what is he talking about? The Force?" Rey's line after it confuses her even more because it seems to come from nowhere. "I'm not giving you anything." The exchange implies an internal dialogue we're not privy to yet. BUT. It's like Rey suddenly being able to use specific Force powers after her interrogation and Pablo having to explain she got them from Kylo's head like he tried to get information from her. The audience is shown rather than told, so the scene plays how it naturally would. There's an internal dialogue or shared feelings going on; we get to view that from the outside for now.
@MeadowofAshes

I hadn't thought about that! I've always connected Rey's reply to Kylo's "I know you've seen the map. It's in
there... and now you'll give it to me.", but your explanation is much more intriguing!
tintarelladiluna
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyla Ren on Sat 24 Jun - 15:07

@tintarelladiluna wrote:
@MeadowofAshes wrote:TPTB are probably not at liberty to discuss the further interpretation of "Don't be afraid; I feel it too" yet, beyond the fact there is subtext to the line. Bets are on post-TLJ they'll be able to give more definitive answers.

@MeadowofAshes

I hadn't thought about that! I've always connected Rey's reply to Kylo's "I know you've seen the map. It's in
there... and now you'll give it to me.", but your explanation is much more intriguing!
@tintarelladiluna

I"ve always assumed that "I'm not giving you anything" is in response to "I know you've seen the map. It's in there... and now you'll give it to me," but I've never really understood what "Don't be afraid. I feel it too," is supposed to mean.  Or at least the "I feel it too" part.
Kyla Ren
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by MeadowofAshes on Sat 24 Jun - 15:24

@tintarelladiluna wrote:

@MeadowofAshes

there... and now you'll give it to me."
, but your explanation is much more intriguing!
@tintarelladiluna And that's absolutely the surface text. To be in sync, her "I'm not giving you anything" should come after that one. But it doesn't. Instead, we get the same chimey musical cue we first hear when Rey enters the room in Maz's castle where she finds the legacy saber that first connects her to Kylo Ren, then she strains against his new probe. He reacts to her feeling fear at his probe with reassurance. After Rey has her vision of Kylo Ren, Maz tries to reassure her this is her destiny and the belonging she seeks is ahead of her. In both instances, Rey is supposed to "connect" with Ben in some fashion and rejects that connection out of fear, then is reassured. So that musical cue links the two events.  

For Potterheads, it's similar to the way the Harry Potter series is crafted. For instance, a skilled reader should be able to tell Snape is not a villain after he kills Dumbledore in book 6 because we already saw how his supposed villainy played out in book 1. We can also predict Harry will have either a literal or symbolic death and rebirth in book 7 because of watching the rebirth of the phoenix, representing Gryffindor, in book 2. In no way would JK Rowling have said, "Yep. Snape's innocent" or "Harry gon' die and be resurrected" if she was asked, but looking back you can see those exact events were foreshadowed.

Musical cue and out of sync lines tell you "these two have a connection". TPTB can't further discuss that right now or it gives away the game, but it's right there in the movie.
MeadowofAshes
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by tintarelladiluna on Sat 24 Jun - 15:27

@Kyla Ren wrote:
@tintarelladiluna wrote:

@MeadowofAshes

@tintarelladiluna

I"ve always assumed that "I'm not giving you anything" is in response to "I know you've seen the map. It's in there... and now you'll give it to me," but I've never really understood what "Don't be afraid. I feel it too," is supposed to mean.  Or at least the "I feel it too" part.
@Kyla Ren

Same. Regarding the "I feel it too", I'm leaning toward the theory from the meta I posted earlier, he feels lonely just like her: "Don't be afraid. I feel lonely too. I am here with you", like vaderito wrote earlier. He could be referring to the Force bond or the Force in general? But I always thought it happened later, when she entered his head? I'm probably completely wrong, I'd be very grateful if someone could correct me Laughing
tintarelladiluna
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by tintarelladiluna on Sat 24 Jun - 15:32

@MeadowofAshes wrote:
@tintarelladiluna wrote:

@MeadowofAshes

there... and now you'll give it to me."
, but your explanation is much more intriguing!
@tintarelladiluna And that's absolutely the surface text. To be in sync, her "I'm not giving you anything" should come after that one. But it doesn't. Instead, we get the same chimey musical cue we first hear when Rey enters the room in Maz's castle where she finds the legacy saber that first connects her to Kylo Ren, then she strains against his new probe. He reacts to her feeling fear at his probe with reassurance. After Rey has her vision of Kylo Ren, Maz tries to reassure her this is her destiny and the belonging she seeks is ahead of her. In both instances, Rey is supposed to "connect" with Ben in some fashion and rejects that connection out of fear, then is reassured. So that musical cue links the two events.  

For Potterheads, it's similar to the way the Harry Potter series is crafted. For instance, a skilled reader should be able to tell Snape is not a villain after he kills Dumbledore in book 6 because we already saw how his supposed villainy played out in book 1. We can also predict Harry will have either a literal or symbolic death and rebirth in book 7 because of watching the rebirth of the phoenix, representing Gryffindor, in book 2. In no way would JK Rowling have said, "Yep. Snape's innocent" or "Harry gon' die and be resurrected" if she was asked, but looking back you can see those exact events were foreshadowed.

Musical cue and out of sync lines tell you "these two have a connection". TPTB can't further discuss that right now or it gives away the game, but it's right there in the movie.
@MeadowofAshes

I can see it now! So if I understood correctly, the "I'm not giving you anything" is her "way" to refuse their connection, to put it simply? And also, we're talking about "intertwined destinies", not "Force bond" yet here, right?
tintarelladiluna
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by MeadowofAshes on Sat 24 Jun - 15:58

@tintarelladiluna Exactly! "I'm not giving you anything!" was a carefully crafted line, with the word choice of "anything" referring to, well, anything. LOL. "Dude, ya ain't getting the map, we're not connected, and you can keep your little villainous crush to yourself, thank you very much."

Otherwise, that scene should read:
Ren: I know you've seen the map. It's in there and now you'll give it to me.
Rey: You're not getting the map! (Or just, "I won't!" Both adequately convey defiance if that's the only goal.)
Ren: We'll see.

But it's not just about the map. He covets her as the suspected awakening and as a lover. They're destined for a connection. He accepts it. She rejects it. 

Yes, I'm referring to intertwined destinies at this point. I don't know if they'll ever call the connection a "Force bond", but these two have been in each other's heads; they're connected now. You can bet that'll be a continued plot point - the extent to which it's played is what's in the air. Can they live stream each other's thoughts? Can they just call out to each other over vast amounts of space like Luke/Vader or Luke/Leia? Do they share visions like Rey's in Maz's castle? Won't know until TLJ comes out.
MeadowofAshes
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by tintarelladiluna on Sat 24 Jun - 16:12

@MeadowofAshes wrote:@tintarelladiluna Exactly! "I'm not giving you anything!" was a carefully crafted line, with the word choice of "anything" referring to, well, anything. LOL. "Dude, ya ain't getting the map, we're not connected, and you can keep your little villainous crush to yourself, thank you very much."

Rey: You're not getting the map! (Or just, "I won't!" Both adequately convey defiance if that's the only goal.)

But it's not just about the map. He covets her as the suspected awakening and as a lover. They're destined for a connection. He accepts it. She rejects it. 

Yes, I'm referring to intertwined destinies at this point. I don't know if they'll ever call the connection a "Force bond", but these two have been in each other's heads; they're connected now. You can bet that'll be a continued plot point - the extent to which it's played is what's in the air. Can they live stream each other's thoughts? Can they just call out to each other over vast amounts of space like Luke/Vader or Luke/Leia? Do they share visions like Rey's in Maz's castle? Won't know until TLJ comes out.
@MeadowofAshes

Thank you very much I love you I've got a lot to learn! I was reading Ohtze's meta about their possible "Force bond" just now, you can bet I'm going to educate myself on the matter Laughing
tintarelladiluna
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin on Sat 24 Jun - 16:28

@MeadowofAshes wrote:@tintarelladiluna Exactly! "I'm not giving you anything!" was a carefully crafted line, with the word choice of "anything" referring to, well, anything. LOL. "Dude, ya ain't getting the map, we're not connected, and you can keep your little villainous crush to yourself, thank you very much."

@MeadowofAshes

Yes to everything you have been saying plus there is an actual line in the screenplay notes that says that they both feel a familiar energy in each other and for a second they are not adversaries. "I feel it too" indeed! Very Happy
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by tintarelladiluna on Sat 24 Jun - 16:35

@SoloSideCousin wrote:

@MeadowofAshes

Yes to everything you have been saying plus there is an actual line in the screenplay notes that says that they both feel a familiar energy in each other and for a second they are not adversaries. "I feel it too" indeed! Very Happy
@SoloSideCousin

Right!! And also, is it this part in the novelization? "He touched her again, as he had in the forest on Takodana. And hesitated. What was that? Something there. Something unexpected." Very Happy
tintarelladiluna
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by MeadowofAshes on Sat 24 Jun - 16:41

@solosidecousin That script was life giving! It also specifically says Ren reaches for Poe but does not touch him, yet has Ren touching Rey's face in the forest and interrogation room. Yeah, that familiar energy between momentary non-adversaries is not that of family. I really wonder if somewhere in the vault are all the out takes in which JJ actually had him touch her face. Like, "Oh, that's too on the nose. Let's dial that back a bit."
MeadowofAshes
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin on Sat 24 Jun - 17:35

@MeadowofAshes wrote:@solosidecousin That script was life giving! It also specifically says Ren reaches for Poe but does not touch him, yet has Ren touching Rey's face in the forest and interrogation room. Yeah, that familiar energy between momentary non-adversaries is not that of family. I really wonder if somewhere in the vault are all the out takes in which JJ actually had him touch her face. Like, "Oh, that's too on the nose. Let's dial that back a bit."
@MeadowofAshes

Right!!!! Especially with AD playing him. That guy has an enormous amount of sexual energy to his movements when he's in character playing someone who is interested in someone else.
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowgirlsamurai on Sat 24 Jun - 17:59

I think touching her face would make a really creepy visual. While it's intriguing in the novel, I'm glad we weren't shown it on screen. Touching someone's face is usually a really intimate gesture (See Han Solo and Ben), so I think people would be like, "Why does he keep putting his hands on her?" I prefer the bridal carry action we were given for our viewing pleasure instead Razz
Cowgirlsamurai
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by CienaRee on Sat 24 Jun - 18:04

@SoloSideCousin wrote:
@MeadowofAshes wrote:@solosidecousin That script was life giving! It also specifically says Ren reaches for Poe but does not touch him, yet has Ren touching Rey's face in the forest and interrogation room. Yeah, that familiar energy between momentary non-adversaries is not that of family. I really wonder if somewhere in the vault are all the out takes in which JJ actually had him touch her face. Like, "Oh, that's too on the nose. Let's dial that back a bit."
@MeadowofAshes

Right!!!! Especially with AD playing him. That guy has an enormous amount of sexual energy to his movements when he's in character playing someone who is interested in someone else.
@SoloSideCousin

IMO,I'm actually wondering if Reylo would have been more obvious to the audeince had they kept that bit of Kylo touching her face.I mean,I'm sorry but you can't tell me that Kylo touching Rey whom he's just met is a normal behaviour between long lost relatives. Laughing
Even Luke (when they weren't intended to be brother and sister)and Han didn't touch Leia(even when he was constnatly)getting in her space  they way Kylo does in the novalization and script.
This kind of gesture is usually meant to imply romantic feelings/connection between a man and a woman and trust me I know I've watched way too many telenovellas/soap operas to spot the signs. Laughing Laughing Laughing
But then again maybe it's better they didn't include it since antis would have been complaining about Kylo touching Rey against her will. Rolling Eyes
I do wish sometimes that they kept the part where Kylo's telling her he doesn't want to hurt her and would go as easy on her as he can since they love to paint him as a creepy would be rapist/abuser. Rolling Eyes

CienaRee
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by AceofWands on Sat 24 Jun - 19:03

@CienaRee

Yeah, but saying that he doesn't want to hurt her and that he's going to go as easy as her as he can... It just, has also such an obvious double meaning. I'm actually glad they cut it.

I wouldn't want the touching either cause he's tied and can't back away.

AceofWands
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by CienaRee on Sat 24 Jun - 19:23

@AceofWands wrote:
@CienaRee

Yeah, but saying that he doesn't want to hurt her and that he's going to go as easy as her as he can... It just, has also such an obvious double meaning. I'm actually glad they cut it.

I wouldn't want the touching either cause he's tied and can't back away.

@AceofWands

That's true but I'm pretty sure the writers didn't intend for Kylot o be making seual advances towards Rey.He might be subconciously feeling attracted to her but I don't think for a second that their intention was for the fans to pereceive Kylo as someone who's threatening to abuse/rape Rey.I think we're meant to believe that he's talking about the map but his compassion for her is leading him to treat her differently than he did Poe.

CienaRee
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Page 37 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum