Discussion: Podcasts

Page 5 of 36 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 20 ... 36  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Discussion: Podcasts

Post by Maria Antonietta on Tue 16 May - 9:05

ISeeAnIsland wrote:A few TLJ/Reylo relevant comments from this episode:

* Jason commented on the Resistance symbol on the Hotwheels toy for Kylo's ship. Said not to read into it--it's probably just an error from the ship being an early prototype.
* Around 56:00 or so, Pod People takes a Reylo question. Listener framed it as wanting her to be Luke's daughter, but basically said that he couldn't unsee that Kylo has "a massive boner" for Rey, and wanted to know if Rey could possibly be vulnerable to being seduced to the dark side by Kylo if she doesn't get along with Luke. Jason & co. mentioned the Phantom of the Opera concept art from TFA, but then for a while dodged the Reylo part of the question and concentrated on Luke. The interesting part (to me) of this is that they started drawing comparisons between Anakin and Kylo--mentioning Anakin getting taken away from his mother too young, and then drew a parallel with Kylo, saying that Ben was the son of these two highly successful people who weren't around enough, and he ended up falling in with bad crowds, and then got sent away to Luke.

I know that a lot of us have speculated on this as being our headcanons, and it might very well just be speculation from Jason, but it got me wondering if he's heard something about Ben's backstory that would confirm our speculation.

They then circled back to the "will Rey be tempted" question and gave some neutral speculation, but I got the impression that they don't know any more other than that TFA stressed that she wants to find her family.
@ISeeAnIsland

Jason knows that if he talks about it, he will get backlash
Maria Antonietta
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by panki on Tue 16 May - 9:41

ISeeAnIsland wrote: Ben was the son of these two highly successful people who weren't around enough, and he ended up falling in with bad crowds, and then got sent away to Luke.
@ISeeAnIsland

I was worried that this might be the case. Sad It will look bad unless they show that Ben started getting better but the Vader reveal ruined things for him....not that he started bad and went to Luke's school and got worse.

We are the spark, that’ll light the fire, that’ll burn the First Order down.
panki

http://starwarstheorist.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria Antonietta on Tue 16 May - 12:49

I'm listening to it, it's funny and weird because when fanboys talk about reylo, they go: yuck, disgusting, while normal people have no problems, everyone loves the interrogation scene because it's so empowering for Rey and Ren gets dominated with a massive boner. So Jason and the other guy started calling him pu**y to gain their masculinity again.
Maria Antonietta
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 on Tue 16 May - 14:16

spacebaby45678 wrote:
Gemini wrote:
spacebaby45678 wrote:Rey, whoever you are, you are the anti-christ/ anti chosen one... These are your first steps to destroying the universe...

Obi freakin Kenobi,

Someone needs to put down the tinfoil hats and put on the thinking caps....
@spacebaby45678

This made me LOL
@Gemini

Rey is a nobody, literally nobody.... Rey & Kylo have a mysterious connection... That does not add up. Unless

Or

The force bond is created because pre existing conditions that made it easy for Reylo to bond with each other, it is not because she is just Rey Jakku Sunshine anti christ...
@spacebaby45678

Star Wars Insider Magazine 2016

Kylo's Star Wars Data Bank

Coincidence?

Source: https://www.tumblr.com/search/rey+kenobi
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by panki on Tue 16 May - 14:27

Sidious making an offer to Anakin at a dramatic moment: You're fulfilling your destiny, Anakin. Become my apprentice. Learn to use the Dark Side of the Force. (ROTS)

Kylo making an offer to Rey at a dramatic moment: You need a teacher! I can show you the ways of the Force! (TFA)

There are arguments that reylo is a reverse of Anakin's story.......maybe the ST is an inversion of the PT after all.

We are the spark, that’ll light the fire, that’ll burn the First Order down.
panki

http://starwarstheorist.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Tue 16 May - 14:34

panki wrote:
ISeeAnIsland wrote: Ben was the son of these two highly successful people who weren't around enough, and he ended up falling in with bad crowds, and then got sent away to Luke.
@ISeeAnIsland

I was worried that this might be the case. Sad It will look bad unless they show that Ben started getting better but the Vader reveal ruined things for him....not that he started bad and went to Luke's school and got worse.

@panki

Eh, I wouldn't worry too much. "Rebellious teenager" is a pretty standard background for an anti-hero. Plus, I recall JJ commenting somewhere (I don't remember if I read this in an interview or from his commentary) that Ben had a "troubled adolescence". Basically, we kind of have to assume that Ben was probably acting out a bit, otherwise he never would have gotten sent away to Luke. We also don't know what Snoke was doing to Ben during this time--he could have been whispering in his ear all along that "you don't need to listen to your parents; you have gifts that they don't" or something.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Ben flourished under Luke until the fall...given the casual way Leia talks about Ben and Luke in Bloodline.

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Tue 16 May - 14:35

panki wrote:Sidious making an offer to Anakin at a dramatic moment: You're fulfilling your destiny, Anakin. Become my apprentice. Learn to use the Dark Side of the Force. (ROTS)

Kylo making an offer to Rey at a dramatic moment: You need a teacher! I can show you the ways of the Force! (TFA)

There are arguments that reylo is a reverse of Anakin's story.......maybe the ST is an inversion of the PT after all.
@panki

I love you I love you I love you

I LOVE THIS!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by WhatGirl on Tue 16 May - 14:42

Maria Antonietta wrote:I'm listening to it, it's funny and weird because when fanboys talk about reylo, they go: yuck, disgusting, while normal people have no problems, everyone loves the interrogation scene because it's so empowering for Rey and Ren gets dominated with a massive boner. So Jason and the other guy started calling him pu**y to gain their masculinity again.
@Maria Antonietta

Ugh, these insecure fanboys. Neutral

Anyway, I hope Rey and Kylo make out passionately in TLJ just like in your avatar.
WhatGirl
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by nemapasara on Tue 16 May - 14:44

panki wrote:Sidious making an offer to Anakin at a dramatic moment: You're fulfilling your destiny, Anakin. Become my apprentice. Learn to use the Dark Side of the Force. (ROTS)

@panki

When you put those two lines right beside each other, it's amazing how much they contrast each other. Palpatine is all about boasting about Anakin's powers and how they're being wasted by the Jedi. It's all very smarmy and manipulative. While Kylo is very straight-forward with Rey, I think he's been like that in all their interactions. He tells her point blank that she's needs someone to teach her and that he can show her. It was very genuine to me, especially if you consider that he's letting those personal interests interfere with orders from Snoke. Cool
nemapasara
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Tue 16 May - 14:52

I honestly don't know what everyone is talking about. There's nothing in that podcast that warrants concern. The part about Kylo is actually really well thought out. he says that the difference between Anakin and Kylo is basically that Anakin was loved and when he was removed from that love, he developed attachment issues, while Kylo never felt loved, so his "sociological crutch" wasn't attachment issues. Jason says that Kylo's parents were freakin busy, that he was pushed off and cast out or at least felt so by them AND Luke later when he ended up with Luke.

So that tells me that Luke likely practiced old school Jedi way and was putting an emotional distance between him and Ben (and other students) and Ben who craved emotional comfort and love wasn't getting it and felt even more lonely, disappointed, etc.

Also, the part where Jason says that Luke will be reluctant to train Rey but train her anyway, while Kylo has already offered Rey to train her, that Kylo's offer may become more attractive way to find answers to Rey if the movie go with that angle. So he doesn't reject the idea that Rey may be torn between two ways of learning about the Force, and that means to me that there will be scenes between those characters.

And then Jason says something like that he was told concretely is that Luke is gonna teach Rey about her connection to the Force and what it means. So not at all encouraging for Mah Baby Girl crowd. And lets not forget the part where Jason says that Rey isn't related and that his impression is that Luke will embrace his legacy instead of Rey being the legacy. or something along those lines but definitely that Luke's part of the story isn't about having a legacy child but about his relationship with his own legacy.

Finally, the part where he discusses what rey's temptation could be, he says that Reylos think it will be passion while he thinks that finding her mom and dad, her parents, could lure her away from the Jedi path. He didn't mock reylos at all so I don't get hostility here. Anyway, I'm gonna say that if her parents are the carrot that temps her, I'm gonna bring a pillow to the cinema and take a nap. Passion = epic story. Parents = zzzzzzzzz.
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Tue 16 May - 14:57

I wouldn't be surprised if it were teenager getting into trouble because he has "too much of his father in him." Han with Force Powers would've been bad news. He probably did something where getting sent away thanks to family connections seemed like the best option to Leia.

Also isn't "the ways of the Force" an earlier line/offer in RotS? That was the big one along with "you'll find scavengers and others not wishing to be found here" in the PM as two of the biggest lines from the PT lifted for TFA (boy wouldn't you love to have heard JJ and Kasdan's rewatch of the PT and chewing over the dialogue).
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Tue 16 May - 15:04

Yeha, Han himself is "wrong crowd" and "gang". he was smuggling drugs. So that's that.
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Maru on Tue 16 May - 15:06

Honestly, I always thought that what would "tempt" Rey and drive her to the dark side is her parentage reveal. Her family is the thing she craves the most, and shattering her expectations about them would definitely change the direction of the story. Kylo will work as a conductor for her feelings, not her main temptation (IMO).
Piper Maru
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Tue 16 May - 15:06

Piper Maru wrote:Honestly, I always thought that what would "tempt" Rey and drive her to the dark side is her parentage reveal. Her family is the thing she craves the most, and shattering her expectations about them would definitely change the direction of the story. Kylo will work as a conductor for her feelings, not her main temptation (IMO).
@Piper Maru

me too. It's still dull af. Laughing
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Maru on Tue 16 May - 15:12

vaderito wrote:
Piper Maru wrote:Honestly, I always thought that what would "tempt" Rey and drive her to the dark side is her parentage reveal. Her family is the thing she craves the most, and shattering her expectations about them would definitely change the direction of the story. Kylo will work as a conductor for her feelings, not her main temptation (IMO).
@Piper Maru

me too. It's still dull af. Laughing
@vaderito

Tell me about it. I hate the whole parentage thing. For me, it should've been dealt with in TFA so we could move on to more interesting things Twisted Evil
Piper Maru
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Tue 16 May - 15:13

Piper Maru wrote:

Tell me about it. I hate the whole parentage thing. For me, it should've been dealt with in TFA so we could move on to more interesting things Twisted Evil
@Piper Maru

This.

vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Helix on Tue 16 May - 15:18

I do like how they mention Luke still coming to terms ( or re coming to terms? ) with his legacy. Which goes along with Kylo's legacy struggles, further proving we don't need another Skywalker this trilogy. The ones we have right now are still coming to terms with it.
Helix
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Tue 16 May - 15:22

vaderito wrote:Yeha, Han himself is "wrong crowd" and "gang". he was smuggling drugs. So that's that.
@vaderito

Han starts out interested in Leia strictly because he can make money off of her and get rid of the Jabba problem. But "she's got a lot of spirit" ends of changing his priorities. He ends up wanting her and changing who he is (criminal to hero) because he loves her. I've guessed that could happen too here.

Yeah I only think her parentage is a big secret because it has to do with whatever the secret is for Snoke and the FO. And to keep her stuck on Jakku so she could rescue BB8 and Finn. Otherwise they could've put in a line about how her parents got killed in a scavenging accident or something
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Tue 16 May - 15:24

vaderito wrote:I honestly don't know what everyone is talking about. There's nothing in that podcast that warrants concern. The part about Kylo is actually really well thought out. he says that the difference between Anakin and Kylo is basically that Anakin was loved and when he was removed from that love, he developed attachment issues, while Kylo never felt loved, so his "sociological crutch" wasn't attachment issues. Jason says that Kylo's parents were freakin busy, that he was pushed off and cast out or at least felt so by them AND Luke later when he ended up with Luke.

So that tells me that Luke likely practiced old school Jedi way and was putting an emotional distance between him and Ben (and other students) and Ben who craved emotional comfort and love wasn't getting it and felt even more lonely, disappointed, etc.

Also, the part where Jason says that Luke will be reluctant to train Rey but train her anyway, while Kylo has already offered Rey to train her, that Kylo's offer may become more attractive way to find answers to Rey if the movie go with that angle. So he doesn't reject the idea that Rey may be torn between two ways of learning about the Force, and that means to me that there will be scenes between those characters.

And then Jason says something like that he was told concretely is that Luke is gonna teach Rey about her connection to the Force and what it means. So not at all encouraging for Mah Baby Girl crowd. And lets not forget the part where Jason says that Rey isn't related and that his impression is that Luke will embrace his legacy instead of Rey being the legacy. or something along those lines but definitely that Luke's part of the story isn't about having a legacy child but about his relationship with his own legacy.

Finally, the part where he discusses what rey's temptation could be, he says that Reylos think it will be passion while he thinks that finding her mom and dad, her parents, could lure her away from the Jedi path. He didn't mock reylos at all so I don't get hostility here. Anyway, I'm gonna say that if her parents are the carrot that temps her, I'm gonna bring a pillow to the cinema and take a nap. Passion = epic story. Parents = zzzzzzzzz.
@vaderito

Thank you! I was pretty tired when I posted my write-up last night, and you summarized it beautifully. Really, there was nothing mentioned that should be any cause of concern to anyone.

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Tue 16 May - 15:26

I also want to point out a small sorta spoiler that happens after this discussion. Someone asked about MF scene in the trailer and Jason says that the likely scenario is that it happens earlier in the movie when Kylo arrives and Chewie and R2 try to take him down.
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 on Tue 16 May - 15:27

snufkin wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if it were teenager getting into trouble because he has "too much of his father in him." Han with Force Powers would've been bad news. He probably did something where getting sent away thanks to family connections seemed like the best option to Leia.

Also isn't "the ways of the Force" an earlier line/offer in RotS? That was the big one along with "you'll find scavengers and others not wishing to be found here" in the PM as two of the biggest lines from the PT lifted for TFA (boy wouldn't you love to have heard JJ and Kasdan's rewatch of the PT and chewing over the dialogue).
@snufkin

This so much this! Han has impulse control problems, can you imagine force sensitive hormonal Ben as a teen ager? God almighty. Razz
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Tue 16 May - 15:29

Not podcast related but since everyone is here:

LOL.
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Tue 16 May - 15:31

@spacebaby45678 oh he's pretty hormonal and lacks impulse control when he's around Rey. And Leia probably loves/hates how much he's like his "you like me because I'm a scoundrel" fathet
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by kroi on Tue 16 May - 15:33

vaderito wrote:Not podcast related but since everyone is here:

LOL.
@vaderito

Haha, just posted that in the General Discussion thread... with a comparison image! Wink Wink
kroi
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened on Tue 16 May - 15:57

Unlike Jason I don't think they're going to set up Rey' s temptation with her parentage reveal: because it would definitely look like OT rehash.
Parentage as a source of the central conflict. I don't think so.

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 36 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 20 ... 36  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum