Discussion: Podcasts

Page 6 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Discussion: Podcasts

Post by spacebaby45678 on Tue 16 May - 12:07

@Darth_Awakened wrote:Unlike Jason I don't think they're going to set up Rey' s temptation with her parentage reveal: because it would definitely look like OT rehash.
Parentage as a source of the central conflict. I don't think so.
@Darth_Awakened

For all intents and purposes Rey has let go of her family because Maz told her to move on. And, Kylo's parentage is his central conflict, even though the reveal is off screen. I just can't see them going to that well again.
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowgirlsamurai on Tue 16 May - 12:24

I wonder what it was that Mark said he was "fundamentally against" about how they wrote Luke in TLJ confused  That he wants the Jedi to end? If it works for the story, then I don't see how that's too far fetched. When asked if he makes a turn to the dark side, his "Anything's possible," answer said, "No," to me.
Cowgirlsamurai
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ZioRen on Tue 16 May - 12:35

Yeah I'm not worried about Kylo having started to fall in with bad crowds as a teenager. He had to have been sent to Luke for a reason, and honestly it would look odd if there were no cracks starting to show in his character early on. Especially if Snoke is influencing him. My ideal is that this is partly because Snoke is influencing him and Han and Leia aren't around enough to see the signs. The typical "cry for help" sort of scenario that they had the wrong reaction to by sending him away.

But maybe I'm still clinging to hope that Snoke was a huge influence since childhood. I'm reluctant to give that up because it's such huge sympathy points and I'm afraid what will happen if they cut out or seriously minimized that storyline as some suspect. I just can't see one big event when Kylo is an adult being enough to cause that sort of change, at least not in a way that will have people rooting for his redemption.
ZioRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Tue 16 May - 12:39

@ZioRen wrote:Yeah I'm not worried about Kylo having started to fall in with bad crowds as a teenager. He had to have been sent to Luke for a reason, and honestly it would look odd if there were no cracks starting to show in his character early on. Especially if Snoke is influencing him. My ideal is that this is partly because Snoke is influencing him and Han and Leia aren't around enough to see the signs. The typical "cry for help" sort of scenario that they had the wrong reaction to by sending him away.

But maybe I'm still clinging to hope that Snoke was a huge influence since childhood. I'm reluctant to give that up because it's such huge sympathy points and I'm afraid what will happen if they cut out or seriously minimized that storyline as some suspect. I just can't see one big event when Kylo is an adult being enough to cause that sort of change, at least not in a way that will have people rooting for his redemption.
@ZioRen

None of it contradicts Snoke's influence and the influence as the reason for the fall has been stated by JJ several times. So everything connects somehow and also goes back to Snoke's influence from the time before anyone knew about Snoke. we just don't know how yet.
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria Antonietta on Tue 16 May - 12:43

@vaderito wrote:I honestly don't know what everyone is talking about. There's nothing in that podcast that warrants concern. The part about Kylo is actually really well thought out. he says that the difference between Anakin and Kylo is basically that Anakin was loved and when he was removed from that love, he developed attachment issues, while Kylo never felt loved, so his "sociological crutch" wasn't attachment issues. Jason says that Kylo's parents were freakin busy, that he was pushed off and cast out or at least felt so by them AND Luke later when he ended up with Luke.

So that tells me that Luke likely practiced old school Jedi way and was putting an emotional distance between him and Ben (and other students) and Ben who craved emotional comfort and love wasn't getting it and felt even more lonely, disappointed, etc.

Also, the part where Jason says that Luke will be reluctant to train Rey but train her anyway, while Kylo has already offered Rey to train her, that Kylo's offer may become more attractive way to find answers to Rey if the movie go with that angle. So he doesn't reject the idea that Rey may be torn between two ways of learning about the Force, and that means to me that there will be scenes between those characters.

And then Jason says something like that he was told concretely is that Luke is gonna teach Rey about her connection to the Force and what it means. So not at all encouraging for Mah Baby Girl crowd. And lets not forget the part where Jason says that Rey isn't related and that his impression is that Luke will embrace his legacy instead of Rey being the legacy. or something along those lines but definitely that Luke's part of the story isn't about having a legacy child but about his relationship with his own legacy.

Finally, the part where he discusses what rey's temptation could be, he says that Reylos think it will be passion while he thinks that finding her mom and dad, her parents, could lure her away from the Jedi path. He didn't mock reylos at all so I don't get hostility here. Anyway, I'm gonna say that if her parents are the carrot that temps her, I'm gonna bring a pillow to the cinema and take a nap. Passion = epic story. Parents = zzzzzzzzz.
@vaderito

No Vay, I wasn't concerned or hating them, I was just mocking them Very Happy even the guy who sent the question said that he's got a weird crush on Rey and this thought gives him the creeps. My God, how fanboysh
Maria Antonietta
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Tue 16 May - 12:45

So why are you mocking MSW when it was the guy who asked the question that called Kylo's crush creepy or whatever? MSW only read that question.
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdwoman on Tue 16 May - 13:09

@vaderito
Hmm, interesting tidbit about the MF. If that tiny spoiler is correct....that the MF shoots Kylo's ship out of the sky? He crashes. Then his posse (which the spoilers from Ireland said about a possible crashed ship and people dressed in black) land and see if Kylo is alive? Then they take on Luke and Rey? I guess that could work from the scanty spoilers we have.....

Birdwoman
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria Antonietta on Tue 16 May - 13:17

@vaderito wrote:So why are you mocking MSW when it was the guy who asked the question that called Kylo's crush creepy or whatever? MSW only read that question.
@vaderito

Because they're fanboys, don't take my words too seriously lol!
Maria Antonietta
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Acritiqua on Tue 16 May - 13:21

@vaderito wrote:
@ZioRen wrote:Yeah I'm not worried about Kylo having started to fall in with bad crowds as a teenager. He had to have been sent to Luke for a reason, and honestly it would look odd if there were no cracks starting to show in his character early on. Especially if Snoke is influencing him. My ideal is that this is partly because Snoke is influencing him and Han and Leia aren't around enough to see the signs. The typical "cry for help" sort of scenario that they had the wrong reaction to by sending him away.

@ZioRen

None of it contradicts Snoke's influence and the influence as the reason for the fall has been stated by JJ several times. So everything connects somehow and also goes back to Snoke's influence from the time before anyone knew about Snoke. we just don't know how yet.
Yeah. Leia said he was there always. There's no way to get around that, unless one doesn't believe Leia..

@Geralt_Riv wrote:But I don't belive that Rey is the harbinger of doom. It's just speculation on my part. What I wrote is just a theory that gets into my mind when I read the rumor. It could be that Kylo's fall is conected to Rey, but I don't think the reason is Rey being the anti-chosen one. It doesn't make sense to me. If that would be the case, he would try to kill Rey in TFA, yet he didn't do it.
@Geralt_Riv Kylo might be fascinated with her as the harbinger of doom instead though (it's not like he doesn't wage war and destruction himself). He already thinks she's dangerous. On Starkiller, he said that the longer it takes to find her the more dangerous she'll become. The way he threw her against that tree could be a reaction to seeing her as dangerous too. And maybe when Rey called the lightsaber it confirmed that she was this great dangerous power he's seen before in a vision.

Last edited by Acritiqua on Tue 16 May - 13:52; edited 1 time in total
Acritiqua
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Tue 16 May - 13:48

@Birdwoman wrote:@vaderito
Hmm, interesting tidbit about the MF.  If that tiny spoiler is correct....that the MF shoots Kylo's ship out of the sky?  He crashes.  Then his posse (which the spoilers from Ireland said about a possible crashed ship and people dressed in black) land and see if Kylo is alive? Then they take on Luke and Rey?  I guess that could work from the scanty spoilers we have.....
@Birdwoman

Pretty much. Mind you, the question asked is whether the scene from the trailer is Kylo's arrival or something from later in the movie. Jason thinks it's likelier that it's Kylo's arrival and links it to droid swap that Rian did (when he requested that R2 goes with Rey in TFA instead of BB8). Cause Chewie and R2 will have their own story and seems plausible to him that they could spot Kylo arrival (the ships) and try to take them down.
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by panki on Tue 16 May - 14:13

@Darth_Awakened wrote:Unlike Jason I don't think they're going to set up Rey' s temptation with her parentage reveal: because it would definitely look like OT rehash.
@Darth_Awakened

I'm okay with the parentage temptation if that means she would need to trust Kylo and go away with him.....I don't know if there is anything else he could offer her to lure her away from Luke (unless Luke refuses to train her).

We are the spark, that’ll light the fire, that’ll burn the First Order down.
panki

http://starwarstheorist.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Saracene on Tue 16 May - 18:30

@Darth_Awakened

I'm not sure though if "X won't happen because it would be an OT rehash" is a solid argument. I'm sure that TLJ will bring new things to the table, but at the same time I'm still expecting all sorts of nods to the OT.

I mean, many people have an issue with the idea of redemption for Kylo because they think that "fallen Skywalker is redeemed" is a rehash of what happened before. But some themes just tend to re-occur.
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://yggdrasille.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Wed 17 May - 0:41

@vaderito wrote:
@Birdwoman wrote:@vaderito
Hmm, interesting tidbit about the MF.  If that tiny spoiler is correct....that the MF shoots Kylo's ship out of the sky?  He crashes.  Then his posse (which the spoilers from Ireland said about a possible crashed ship and people dressed in black) land and see if Kylo is alive? Then they take on Luke and Rey?  I guess that could work from the scanty spoilers we have.....
@Birdwoman

Pretty much. Mind you, the question asked is whether the scene from the trailer is Kylo's arrival or something from later in the movie. Jason thinks it's likelier that it's Kylo's arrival and links it to droid swap that Rian did (when he requested that R2 goes with Rey in TFA instead of BB8). Cause Chewie and R2 will have their own story and seems plausible to him that they could spot Kylo arrival (the ships) and try to take them down.
@vaderito

Right. This was very much speculation and not an actual "spoiler".

This is purely my opinion, but I think that the scenario that Jason posed is possible but unlikely (i.e. Rey and Luke are off doing whatever, and Chewie takes the Falcon on his own to shoot down TIEs). I'm guessing that Jason is placing this early in the movie because A) Most of the teaser is from early in the movie and B) he has consistently said that he has no evidence that Rey and Luke leave Ahch-To....thus, a Falcon scene would be from earlier in the movie going by what he knows.

My take on it is that Jason sources have kept their leaks to Acts I & II, and that he just doesn't know much, if anything about Act III.
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Wed 17 May - 2:00

For a change of pace, I've been listening to the old Fighting in the War Room podcasts leading up to TFAs release and response afterwards. Because I'm a snob, it's far more my speed in terms of it being a podcast by pop culture writers/enthusiasts. Right now I'm listening to the reaction podcast (#3)

Highlights are

1. How the ST is a meta commentary on Star Wars itself - Kylo is JJ's snark on OT and canon fixated fanboys, Rey is the new fans, and most entertaining remark, Lawrence Kasdan is Han "I'm only back one more time and then done with this" Solo and "Luke is George Lucas, off sulking in exile."

2. Very smart and in depth discussion about spoilers versus not spoilers. The emotional discovery of something new, either how it was discovering at the very beginning with the first film (which feeds into some traditionalist nostalgia) versus the entity now as a fictional universe where it's the discovery of details.

3. Discussion in the context of larger film and TV spoilers, the experience of discovery and not needing spoilers versus wanting to know spoilers.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini on Wed 17 May - 2:34

So msw think the lightsaber in the trailer is Luke's?

In the early spoilers which leaked before tfa came out it was called sword, sword is anakins blue saber code name

In that official comic based off of tfa, it's blue and also anakins

The trailer though it looks like Luke's but  lukes is green it's most certainly not anakins saber it really does not look like it.

Based off of other earlier leaks et. it seems to be a blue saber the clan are in possession of.
Gemini
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 on Wed 17 May - 6:44

@snufkin wrote:For a change of pace, I've been listening to the old Fighting in the War Room podcasts leading up to TFAs release and response afterwards. Because I'm a snob, it's far more my speed in terms of it being a podcast by pop culture writers/enthusiasts. Right now I'm listening to the reaction podcast (#3)

Highlights are

1. How the ST is a meta commentary on Star Wars itself - Kylo is JJ's snark on OT and canon fixated fanboys, Rey is the new fans, and most entertaining remark, Lawrence Kasdan is Han "I'm only back one more time and then done with this" Solo and "Luke is George Lucas, off sulking in exile."

2. Very smart and in depth discussion about spoilers versus not spoilers. The emotional discovery of something new, either how it was discovering at the very beginning with the first film (which feeds into some traditionalist nostalgia) versus the entity now as a fictional universe where it's the discovery of details.

3. Discussion in the context of larger film and TV spoilers, the experience of discovery and not needing spoilers versus wanting to know spoilers.
@snufkin

Thanks so much, this is a great podcast. Love the one guys hate of JJ, I was feeling that. People can know the plot and still enjoy the movie. Especially when a story is myth or fairy tale based. See BATB, the audience knows the whole story but will still pay to see it again, to relieve the emotional impact and not for some twist or surprise.
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Wed 17 May - 12:44

@spacebaby45678 - Somebody really outta do a podcast in the vein of "Searching for Richard Simmons," except that it'll be about the nerd rage JJ seems to provoke where ever he goes. Obviously the central episode will be about "But JJ lied about Khan!"

snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 on Wed 17 May - 12:54

@snufkin wrote:@spacebaby45678 - Somebody really outta do a podcast in the vein of "Searching for Richard Simmons," except that it'll be about the nerd rage JJ seems to provoke where ever he goes. Obviously the central episode will be about "But JJ lied about Khan!"

@snufkin

Speaking of JJ, where is he? I wanna see if he can do a straight forward movie, no hat tricks, twists or magic boxes.
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Wed 17 May - 13:10

@spacebaby45678 wrote:
@snufkin wrote:@spacebaby45678 - Somebody really outta do a podcast in the vein of "Searching for Richard Simmons," except that it'll be about the nerd rage JJ seems to provoke where ever he goes. Obviously the central episode will be about "But JJ lied about Khan!"

@snufkin

Speaking of JJ, where is he? I wanna see if he can do a straight forward movie, no hat tricks, twists or magic boxes.
@spacebaby45678

I've read a couple interviews with him in the past year where he admitted that he was going to 1) Pull back on the lens flare because his wife finally got through to him that he overuses that technique and 2) That he was also going to pull back from the Mystery Box. I think there's an article somewhere about that comment, maybe Io9, where the nerds still manage to work themselves up into a froth in the comments section over his overeliance on the Mystery Box even when it's a statement from him saying that he's pulling back.

I don't mind something like a Mystery Box or a Twist. Like we've discussed here how one of the best parts of Vertigo is how the the entire point of view for Jimmy Stewart's character and how it's show/framed, puts the audience in the same position of being conned/tricked. Or the classic Incident at Owl Creek Bridge, either the original short story or the classic 1950s age of TV adaption. Even the Vader twist, that works because the audience is like Luke in taking Obi-Wan's original lie as the gospel truth. But it ends up completely changing the course of the OT for the better (and also the implications covered in Bloodline and the ST). It's just that thanks to shows like Lost, and even the X-Files, people feel like everything has to be a Twist or a Mystery Box. It's turned into a crutch in some cases, for both the writers and the viewers. I haven't read it all the way through yet, but Slate has an essay about the return of Twin Peaks. And how that was a show in the pre-Internet, pre-spoiler/fan theory era when you could just watch and digest it from week to week. Where it was about the story, the characters, and the central mystery in equal parts because there wasn't the expectation that you had to solve a show or movie in order to watch it.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sacrebleu on Thu 18 May - 6:46

@snufkin wrote:
@spacebaby45678 wrote:
@snufkin wrote:I've read a couple interviews with him in the past year where he admitted that he was going to 1) Pull back on the lens flare because his wife finally got through to him that he overuses that technique and 2) That he was also going to pull back from the Mystery Box. I think there's an article somewhere about that comment, maybe Io9, where the nerds still manage to work themselves up into a froth in the comments section over his overeliance on the Mystery Box even when it's a statement from him saying that he's pulling back.

I don't mind something like a Mystery Box or a Twist. Like we've discussed here how one of the best parts of Vertigo is how the the entire point of view for Jimmy Stewart's character and how it's show/framed, puts the audience in the same position of being conned/tricked. Or the classic Incident at Owl Creek Bridge, either the original short story or the classic 1950s age of TV adaption. Even the Vader twist, that works because the audience is like Luke in taking Obi-Wan's original lie as the gospel truth. But it ends up completely changing the course of the OT for the better (and also the implications covered in Bloodline and the ST). It's just that thanks to shows like Lost, and even the X-Files, people feel like everything has to be a Twist or a Mystery Box. It's turned into a crutch in some cases, for both the writers and the viewers. I haven't read it all the way through yet, but Slate has an essay about the return of Twin Peaks. And how that was a show in the pre-Internet, pre-spoiler/fan theory era when you could just watch and digest it from week to week. Where it was about the story, the characters, and the central mystery in equal parts because there wasn't the expectation that you had to solve a show or movie in order to watch it.
@snufkin

I don't mind a mystery if it's solved in a satisfying way.  Mystery boxes that leave me hanging just annoy me.
Sacrebleu
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sacrebleu on Thu 18 May - 6:54

[quote="Sacrebleu"]
@snufkin wrote:I've read a couple interviews with him in the past year where he admitted that he was going to 1) Pull back on the lens flare because his wife finally got through to him that he overuses that technique and 2) That he was also going to pull back from the Mystery Box. I think there's an article somewhere about that comment, maybe Io9, where the nerds still manage to work themselves up into a froth in the comments section over his overeliance on the Mystery Box even when it's a statement from him saying that he's pulling back.

@snufkin

I don't mind a mystery if it's solved in a satisfying way.  Mystery boxes that leave me hanging just annoy me.

Last edited by Sacrebleu on Thu 18 May - 6:56; edited 1 time in total
Sacrebleu
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sacrebleu on Thu 18 May - 6:55

@snufkin

ETA: That said, I don't really regard Rey's parentage as a mystery per se. I think the whole point of her conversation with Maz was to tell her (and us) that it isn't her past (who left her on Jakku) that matters but her future (belonging, her relationship to the Force). Or, it may be that the mystery is not who Rey's parents are, but why she was left on Jakku.
Sacrebleu
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Maru on Thu 18 May - 7:21

@Sacrebleu wrote:

@snufkin

ETA: That said, I don't really regard Rey's parentage as a mystery per se. I think the whole point of her conversation with Maz was to tell her (and us) that it isn't her past (who left her on Jakku) that matters but her future (belonging, her relationship to the Force). Or, it may be that the mystery is not who Rey's parents are, but why she was left on Jakku.
@Sacrebleu

This.

I only got involved with the parentage theories when I joined the fandom. From December 2015 to January 2017 it was pretty clear to me that Rey's family would never go back to her and that her journey would be about understanding the scope of her powers and creating a brand new path with a brand new family (Finn, Luke, the Resistance, etc.)
Piper Maru
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Thu 18 May - 13:29

@Sacrebleu - agreed, if it's a smart one! We've had a couple discussions on here before of the larger 'spoiler culture' these days in pop culture, especially for TV shows. It has its roots and "No, I am your father!" The big example I always think of is Occurance at Owl Creek Bridge, because it plays with your perspective about what's actually happening and the twist ends up showing you the larger picture. But the "I'm going to do X for the sake of shocking the audience and unsettling their expectations" move can be a crutch. Certainly it's been overused enough times that now we see audiences conditioned to expect it, rather than being genuinely surprised.

@Piper Maru - when I saw the scene with Maz, besides thinking that Maz could've softened the blow a little in delivering that harsh truth (you own a bar, at least give the girl a strong drink to settle her nerves), that was also my takeaway. Whatever relationship she was going to have with her parents was done and finished 15 years ago, she needs to move on with her life, and it's going to be the people she meets who become the people who give her a sense of family and belonging.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sacrebleu on Thu 18 May - 19:46

@snufkin wrote:@Sacrebleu - agreed, if it's a smart one! We've had a couple discussions on here before of the larger 'spoiler culture' these days in pop culture, especially for TV shows. It has its roots and "No, I am your father!" The big example I always think of is Occurance at Owl Creek Bridge, because it plays with your perspective about what's actually happening and the twist ends up showing you the larger picture. But the "I'm going to do X for the sake of shocking the audience and unsettling their expectations" move can be a crutch. Certainly it's been overused enough times that now we see audiences conditioned to expect it, rather than being genuinely surprised.
@snufkin

With "No, I am your father" I felt it made perfect sense given what we had already been told.  It really hung together and managed to be both shocking and believable.  "Leia is my sister", on the other hand, didn't work so well.  I agree 100% that mere shock value is really not valuable at all.  It would have been shocking if Vader said, "Jabba the Hutt is your father", but it wouldn't have been narratively satisfying at all.
Sacrebleu
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum