Discussion: Podcasts

Page 14 of 17 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Discussion: Podcasts

Post by Mrs Ben Solo on Mon 12 Jun - 18:12

I don't know what to make of this business with the Knights of Ren. It's not as if they played a large part in TFA either. One glimpse in Rey's forceback (which I still think was past and not future) and a mention by Snoke doesn't amount to much. Whatever and whoever they are, it seems like Kylo isn't with them all the time despite being their master. The snippets we've had from canon sources seem to suggest Kylo and the KoR slaughtered their way through villages in the past but it's all so vague.

Looking at these latest MSW images on the Elite Praetorian Guards, it's easy to see how they could be mistaken for KoR from a distance http://makingstarwars.net/2017/06/another-look-at-the-elite-praetorian-guards-from-star-wars-the-last-jedi-and-more/ I guess it's not unreasonable to assume Kylo goes to Ahch-To alone and Snoke sends these guys after him, or maybe Kylo takes them with him under Snoke's orders, but then that does beg the question of why he wouldn't take his KoR instead.
Mrs Ben Solo
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Mon 12 Jun - 18:16

@ZioRen wrote:It's all strange. Based on stuff like this http://makingstarwars.net/2017/06/another-look-at-the-elite-praetorian-guards-from-star-wars-the-last-jedi-and-more/

it seems like Snoke's guards are getting more merchandising and attention than anything. I feel like this was once the place the Knights of Ren were meant to occupy. I can't help but wonder if one turned into the other.
@ZioRen

I'm starting to wonder the same thing. Perhaps the KoR were "promoted" to Snoke's guards?

The melee weapons between the two groups sound similar.

Back to top Go down

Post by ZioRen on Mon 12 Jun - 18:17

Yeah, I was considering an option that they're one in the same. Even their vibe is similar, except one group wore black and the other red. I mean, I think the Knights of Ren were described in the past as Snoke's lackeys that Kylo leads. It's possible that they follow Kylo around sometimes and other times stay with Snoke.

Like @Mrs Ben Solo said, if the vision of Kylo with the Knights was in the past, maybe nowadays he's not going around with them all that often anymore. Or Snoke decided he wanted them with him.

I actually don't remember: was "Elite Praetorian guards" the actual official names of those figures?

Last edited by ZioRen on Mon 12 Jun - 18:30; edited 1 time in total
ZioRen
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Mon 12 Jun - 18:22

@ZioRen wrote:Yeah, I was considering an option that they're one in the same. Even their vibe is similar, except one group wore black and the other red. I mean, I think the Knights of Ren were described in the past as Snoke's lackey's that Kylo leads. It's possible that they follow Kylo around sometimes and other times stay with Snoke.

Like @Mrs Ben Solo said, if the vision of Kylo with the Knights was in the past, maybe nowadays he's not going around with them all that often anymore. Or Snoke decided he wanted them with him.
@ZioRen

I'd actually be okay with this scenario. At least they're acknowledged and they did exist as the KoR at one point!!! Laughing

Yeah.  Keep telling yourself that, buddy...
IoJovi

Back to top Go down

Post by ZioRen on Mon 12 Jun - 18:24

I guess if this is the case, it works out. No way we wanted this story to go involved Kylo spending the movie with his evil Merry Men surrounding him. So if they spend most of their time with Snoke instead, no skin off my nose. Laughing
ZioRen
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Mon 12 Jun - 18:24

@IoJovi wrote:
@ZioRen wrote:Yeah, I was considering an option that they're one in the same. Even their vibe is similar, except one group wore black and the other red. I mean, I think the Knights of Ren were described in the past as Snoke's lackey's that Kylo leads. It's possible that they follow Kylo around sometimes and other times stay with Snoke.

@ZioRen

I'd actually be okay with this scenario. At least they're acknowledged and they did exist as the KoR at one point!!! Laughing
@IoJovi

Same here. That scenario would make the most sense, IMO, based on what we've been told.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Ben Solo on Mon 12 Jun - 18:30

@ISeeAnIsland wrote:
@IoJovi wrote:

@ZioRen

@IoJovi

Same here. That scenario would make the most sense, IMO, based on what we've been told.
@ISeeAnIsland

I guess Snoke could strip Kylo of his title as Master of the KoR as part of his punishment, if he is to be punished/tortured for his failure against Rey. If that happens early on in TLJ after his healing it could go along with the mask smashing as masks seems to be as much part of the KoR thing as him being like Vader.
Mrs Ben Solo
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ZioRen on Mon 12 Jun - 18:34

@Mrs Ben Solo wrote:
@ISeeAnIsland wrote:
@IoJovi wrote:

@ZioRen

I'd actually be okay with this scenario.  At least they're acknowledged and they did exist as the KoR at one point!!!  Laughing
@IoJovi

@ISeeAnIsland

I guess Snoke could strip Kylo of his title as Master of the KoR as part of his punishment, if he is to be punished/tortured for his failure against Rey. If that happens early on in TLJ after his healing it could go along with the mask smashing as masks seems to be as much part of the KoR thing as him being like Vader.
@Mrs Ben Solo

This is something I could easily see happening and explains why he doesn't have them with him anymore. They weren't around at all in TFA, so maybe they were busy and in the meantime Kylo is stripped of his status. Thus he destroys his mask in anger and goes off alone to prove himself. I still wonder if he goes to Ahch-To (if that even actually happens, considering all the backtracking) and it's a move he wasn't supposed to make or one he makes too early out of recklessness. The "Knights of Ren" going to collect him could happen after that.

Though in the past everyone said that this is when Luke wipes them out. I don't see that happening so early on with how much they're appearing in merch.
ZioRen
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Mon 12 Jun - 18:39

@ZioRen wrote:
@Mrs Ben Solo wrote:
@ISeeAnIsland wrote:
@IoJovi wrote:

@ZioRen

@IoJovi

@ISeeAnIsland

@Mrs Ben Solo

This is something I could easily see happening and explains why he doesn't have them with him anymore. They weren't around at all in TFA, so maybe they were busy and in the meantime Kylo is stripped of his status. Thus he destroys his mask in anger and goes off alone to prove himself. I still wonder if he goes to Ahch-To (if that even actually happens, considering all the backtracking) and it's a move he wasn't supposed to make or one he makes too early out of recklessness. The "Knights of Ren" going to collect him could happen after that.

Though in the past everyone said that this is when Luke wiped them out. I don't see that happening so early on with how much they're appearing in merch.
@ZioRen

Good one guys! Although Kylo's mask is iconic in reference to his own character alone, it also has the same vibe as the rest of the KoR. The mask not only served as a call back to Vader in the OT, but hid the identity of Han and Leia's son for the first half of TFA.

Now that his identity is revealed, the mask is no longer necessary and it would make sense in that context to no longer have Kylo's association with the KoR be a tangible thing. I for one am fine with this explanation if that's the case. I'd much rather have him spending more time with Rey than his henchmen anyway!

IoJovi

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Mon 12 Jun - 18:41

@ZioRen wrote:
@Mrs Ben Solo wrote:
@ISeeAnIsland wrote:
@IoJovi wrote:

@ZioRen

I'd actually be okay with this scenario.  At least they're acknowledged and they did exist as the KoR at one point!!!  Laughing
@IoJovi

@ISeeAnIsland

@Mrs Ben Solo

Though in the past everyone said that this is when Luke wipes them out. I don't see that happening so early on with how much they're appearing in merch.
@ZioRen

That's a good point with the merch, but Phasma appeared on a ton of merch for TFA and didn't really do much.

Maybe the KoR/former KoR aren't the only Praetorian guards for Snoke? And we'll see other guards doing other things elsewhere in the movie?

Back to top Go down

Post by Kylo Men on Mon 12 Jun - 18:41

@ZioRen wrote:It's all strange. Based on stuff like this http://makingstarwars.net/2017/06/another-look-at-the-elite-praetorian-guards-from-star-wars-the-last-jedi-and-more/

it seems like Snoke's guards are getting more merchandising and attention than anything. I feel like this was once the place the Knights of Ren were meant to occupy. I can't help but wonder if one turned into the other.
@ZioRen

I'm kind of sick of hearing about these guards.

Kylo Men
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by ZioRen on Mon 12 Jun - 18:44

@Kylo Men wrote:

@ZioRen

@Kylo Men

Yeah MSW seems excited about them for some reason. I'm sitting here thinking that there has GOT to be merch that tells us more about Kylo, Rey, and Luke's trajectories but those are never the things that leak. Heck, we've heard more about Snoke's guard than Snoke himself. Ugh. I'd KILL for one good, big Kylo-related leak.
ZioRen
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by ZioRen on Mon 12 Jun - 18:46

@ISeeAnIsland wrote:
@ZioRen wrote:
@Mrs Ben Solo wrote:
@ISeeAnIsland wrote:
@IoJovi wrote:

@ZioRen

@IoJovi

@ISeeAnIsland

@Mrs Ben Solo

@ZioRen

That's a good point with the merch, but Phasma appeared on a ton of merch for TFA and didn't really do much.

Maybe the KoR/former KoR aren't the only Praetorian guards for Snoke? And we'll see other guards doing other things elsewhere in the movie?
@ISeeAnIsland

Someone on Reddit wondered if Kylo and Snoke both have their own "guards", Kylo's black and Snoke's red. I don't know, that seems odd. Someone also pointed out that JJ expressed interest in a Knights of Ren Anthology movie, which suggests that they were meant to be more than Guard Group 2: Black Series.

Last edited by ZioRen on Mon 12 Jun - 18:47; edited 1 time in total
ZioRen
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Kylo Men on Mon 12 Jun - 18:47

@ZioRen wrote:
@Kylo Men wrote:

@ZioRen

@Kylo Men

Yeah MSW seems excited about them for some reason. I'm sitting here thinking that there has GOT to be merch that tells us more about Kylo, Rey, and Luke's trajectories but those are never the things that leak. Heck, we've heard more about Snoke's guard than Snoke himself. Ugh. I'd KILL for one good, big Kylo-related leak.
@ZioRen

Pretty much what I was thinking.

Kylo Men
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Ben Solo on Mon 12 Jun - 18:47

@ZioRen wrote:
@Mrs Ben Solo wrote:
@ISeeAnIsland wrote:
@IoJovi wrote:

@ZioRen

@IoJovi

@ISeeAnIsland

@Mrs Ben Solo

@ZioRen

I'm sceptical of that Ireland report, as it appears MSW are now. It always sounded too much like a Luke fan's wish fulfilment to have him wipe out the KoR/EPG or whoever so easily. Also, as has been pointed out, that report contained a lot of suspiciously precise details for one evening of filming observed from a fair distance away (as the video footage and photographs from eyewitnesses show). I know stuff like the rain and Rey fighting without the vest lend credence to it, and I'm not saying the onlookers couldn't spot stuff like that, but some of it always sounded like embellishment or personal interpretation based on how they wanted the story to go. It might not have been easy to separate crew from cast at that distance either.
Mrs Ben Solo
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Mon 12 Jun - 18:51

@ZioRen wrote:
@Kylo Men wrote:

@ZioRen

@Kylo Men

@ZioRen

SOOO much this, and it's unfortunate because I doubt we'll get any thing like that prior to December 15th. All MSW has at the moment are aesthetics - ships, evil BB8s, costumes and now these guards. I can't imagine these guards are going to play any larger role than the Imperial guards in RotJ. They're there for show and they're not really part of the story. They do help to immerse the viewer in the story, but nothing beyond that.

Nothing against MSW and I do enjoy listening as they are entertaining. I can't fault them for not getting anything more concrete when LF is spending five million dollars to keep things hush hush. Still like you said, I'd kill for an ACTUAL real spoiler related to Kylo. The chances of that happening though are close to nil.

IoJovi

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Mon 12 Jun - 18:54

@ZioRen wrote:
@ISeeAnIsland wrote:
@ZioRen wrote:
@Mrs Ben Solo wrote:
@ISeeAnIsland wrote:
@IoJovi wrote:

@ZioRen

@IoJovi

@ISeeAnIsland

@Mrs Ben Solo

@ZioRen

@ISeeAnIsland

Someone on Reddit wondered if Kylo and Snoke both have their own "guards", Kylo's black and Snoke's red. I don't know, that seems odd. Someone also pointed out that JJ expressed interest in a Knights of Ren Anthology movie, which suggests that they were meant to be more than Guard Group 2: Black Version.
@ZioRen

If I recall, JJ said that the KoR had a really interesting backstory, which is why he thought they'd be a good source for an anthology movie.

I agree that it seems odd that Kylo and Snoke would have their own separate set of similar, but differently colored guards.

I do like @Mrs Ben Solo's speculation of Snoke stripping Kylo of his title as Master of the KoR, and him smashing his mask in a rage after that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kylo Men on Mon 12 Jun - 18:56

If true, it does help eliminate bad spoilers and leaks.

Kylo Men
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Mon 12 Jun - 18:58

@Kylo Men wrote:If true, it does help eliminate bad spoilers and leaks.
@Kylo Men

Excellent point! Laughing

IoJovi

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Mon 12 Jun - 19:00

Just off the top of my head:

1. JJ and Kasdan mentioned the KoR during the 12/15 WGA event with the comment "They're Rian's problem to figure out, hahaha!" Kasdan has made some allusions to the Seven Samurai, but beyond that it sounded like they just came up with the name of the group, title for the leader, and the aesthetics. But nothing concrete beyond that.

2. JJ also made one of his comments with saying he thought they'd be a cool standalone movie idea. Which sounds an awful lot like, minor characters not getting a lot of screen time.

3. Would LF go out of its way to quash any spoilers or leaks, especially to a 3rd party fan site which made hay off of disgruntled workers who got laid off after HF's costly accident? Um, Hell yes. This is why you're getting things like "Kylo has a new cape, we're guessing that it's meant to look like Vader's."

Dunno, it'd be kind of sad/funny if it turns out that it's some bullshit group that Snoke made up to psych Ben into thinking he's getting handed this great honor when it's all made up and he's just king of dipshits a la Farmer Ted. Besides, given the choice between the KoR and moar Vaderz edgelord castle, I'd guess that LF knows what will get its fanbase excited.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ZioRen on Mon 12 Jun - 19:04

The Knights of Ren are Snoke's guard that he sometimes sends off to babysit his reckless apprentice. They change into black just for this particular job because it's Kylo's favorite color. It's just easier for everyone if they let Kylo think he's their leader so they go with it. Laughing
ZioRen
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Mon 12 Jun - 19:47

Somebody here made the joke that they're his chaperones! It definitely would bolster the suspicion that he really is isolated in the FO and doesn't have any allies.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Ben Solo on Mon 12 Jun - 19:49

This tweet from Pablo did make me think we might see the KoR in TLJ. But he's being so contrary of late, it could just as easily mean nope https://twitter.com/pablohidalgo/status/873634211936088064

Lucasfilm have gone out of their way not to get into the Knights of Ren in any shape or form. The little information that has been floating about has been debunked by PH and others in past tweets. All that has been said is there's nothing to say Kylo formed the KoR, but there's no info on how long they have been around. Also, Kylo is the only force sensitive KoR, or there's nothing to suggest the others are, at least. The stuff about them being involved with what went down between Luke and Ben Solo seems to be speculation based on incorrect information. It's all so confusing when JJ said they had a backstory for them and everything. Maybe that backstory doesn't have anything to do with Kylo/Ben, or it once did but not since Rian brought his ideas to the table.
Mrs Ben Solo
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Mon 12 Jun - 20:12

@Mrs Ben Solo wrote:This tweet from Pablo did make me think we might see the KoR in TLJ. But he's being so contrary of late, it could just as easily mean nope https://twitter.com/pablohidalgo/status/873634211936088064

Lucasfilm have gone out of their way not to get into the Knights of Ren in any shape or form. The little information that has been floating about has been debunked by PH and others in past tweets. All that has been said is there's nothing to say Kylo formed the KoR, but there's no info on how long they have been around. Also, Kylo is the only force sensitive KoR, or there's nothing to suggest the others are, at least. The stuff about them being involved with what went down between Luke and Ben Solo seems to be speculation based on incorrect information. It's all so confusing when JJ said they had a backstory for them and everything. Maybe that backstory doesn't have anything to do with Kylo/Ben, or it once did but not since Rian brought his ideas to the table.
@Mrs Ben Solo

Any time someone from the story team says either that or we'll see, it almost always means yes. Thanks for sharing this, I feel a bit better! Smile

IoJovi

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin on Mon 12 Jun - 21:12

@Mrs Ben Solo wrote:This tweet from Pablo did make me think we might see the KoR in TLJ. But he's being so contrary of late, it could just as easily mean nope https://twitter.com/pablohidalgo/status/873634211936088064

@Mrs Ben Solo

I think the KoR might really be the next generation version of the Acolytes of the Beyond. Non FS people who get dreams from Sith and get more powerful with dark-side infused weapons. I wouldn't be surprised if Ben got similar dreams and kind of fell in with these people either before or after he went to Snoke. Jason was talking about some "bad crowd" at some point wasn't he?

Kylo might have done stuff with them in his dark side history, but they really were nowhere to be seen in "real time" in TFA. With all this talk of "humanity" and "Patricide is not it's cracked up to be", I could very easily see Rian cutting them loose as much as he possibly could, because frankly, their presence hinders redemption.

Kylo having his bada** gang hanging around is just one more obstacle. It's one thing to bring "help" on some mission (some random rough dudes), it's another thing to bring your blood oath personal Mafia "made men", which the KoR could very well be. I think that they will provide plenty of material for later books, but unless they really are like Kylo's Seven Samurai buddies who are rogue and ronin, then it is better for Kylo to appear very alone in the FO. It helps disconnect him from the FO.

Also, to agree with I think @Iseeanisland and @snufkin, the first thing I would do as Disney/LF would be to feed MSW misinformation. Some little site majorly spoiled the relaunch of a multi-billion franchise. Do you think those producers are just going to get over that? They won't make a martyr out of him by being too mean, but I think that they wouldn't mind undercutting the guy's credibility. This is a major messaging effort. They got caught flat-footed by a regular guy last time. They have no intention of letting that happen again ... Even if it means floating some B.S. here and there.
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 17 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum