Discussion: Podcasts

Page 15 of 35 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 25 ... 35  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Discussion: Podcasts

Post by snufkin on Tue 13 Jun - 4:51

@SoloSideCousin - yeah there's a fine line between being an unpaid enthusiast who helps pump up your brand (like the whole subculture of Disney year round pass holders/cosplayers who are active on social media) and somebody who releases information critical to your product. Especially when you have cultivated press contacts, like Anthony Breznican at Entertainment Weekly and got the press/reviewers in general to promise to not spoil the entire story of Kylo and Han. And meanwhile it got out among some fans because of these set leaks. Even with the recent supposed threat by hackers to release upcoming Disney films to the web unless they were paid a ransom in Bitcoin, this is where it's hard to think that they don't pay attention to this sort of thing. And maybe have strategies about how to combat it. They might not go directly after a little fan site, but they sure as Hell probably have measures in place on their end, including NDAs and warnings to staff, about the repercussions of sharing information with others.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by WhatGirl on Tue 13 Jun - 5:02

SkyStar wrote:
We were told that it’s unlikely there’s any Knights of Ren in the movie.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

@SkyStar

I have been looking forward very much to seeing the KOR so I will be very disappointed if this is true.

Honestly, I'm not that happy with most of what I've heard about TLJ so far. A lot of it is just not interesting to me. Neutral
WhatGirl
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Tue 13 Jun - 5:11

WhatGirl wrote:
SkyStar wrote:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

@SkyStar

I have been looking forward very much to seeing the KOR so I will be very disappointed if this is true.

Honestly, I'm not that happy with most of what I've heard about TLJ so far. A lot of it is just not interesting to me. Neutral
@WhatGirl

But honestly, we know so very little at this point.  We know Kylo goes to Ach-To because of the Ireland filming, but other than the TLJ teaser poster, there isn't a hint of it.  

All that's being released so far is costume details and ships - nothing that gives out any hint of the plot itself.  I actually find actor quotes far more intriguing than any of the marketing that's going on.

There is Adam Driver's indirect arrow to redemption (Patricide isn't all it's cracked up to be) and how much emotional pain Kylo is in.   Then there's one of the cast members, I think it was John Boyega, stating that literally nothing in TLJ is going to be as you expect, once again addressing the Reywalker/FinnRey crowd.  

Several months ago we were bracing ourselves for misleading marketing.  It's actually not as bad as I expected with Kylo's melancholy face and he's definitely not being marketed as MORE EVIL THAN EVER so at least there's that.  

No the marketing isn't really inspiring, but I'm not also worried either that we're off the mark in our predictions.

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Tue 13 Jun - 5:54

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if Kylo ends up heading to Ahch-To on his own, and the MiB group, whether sent by Snoke or whatever, arrive separately, and perhaps after Kylo has been on Ahch-To for a while. For all we know, the Luke/MiB fight takes place much later in the movie than the "rain fight"...maybe it's even some sort of First Order strike force that's been sent to retrieve Kylo and assassinate Luke and/or Rey. There were some reports of a fight scene being filmed up at the huts... perhaps that ended up being the progression of the Luke MiB fight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kessel on Tue 13 Jun - 6:52

WhatGirl wrote:
SkyStar wrote:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

@SkyStar

@WhatGirl

Yeah (other than the teaser poster), I feel the same way. Most of we've seen/heard so far doesn't sound that exciting, but we'll see. I'm cautiously optimistic because we've only just begun to get information. I believe there's things in the movie they'll never allude to in marketing that we won't know about until we actually see it. Hopefully, it's good stuff...Smile
Kessel
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Tue 13 Jun - 6:56

He's already been characterized as impulsive, reckless, and Mr. Personal Interests. It wouldn't be out of character for him to run off on his own because he's desperate to get into the First Jedi Ikea. Or because Snoke wants to go after Rey, which is a given, ESB callback or not.

The spoilers or not thing, another detail to keep in mind is that disinformation for leaks is going to become common practice (making us collectively even more confused and paranoid than we already are) going forward because of hacking. Marcon's campaign team learned from the clusterfuck of our campaign here in the States and fed fake e-mail leaks in the run up to the French election in order to thwart any attempts to sabotage the campaign. It worked, so The Sopranos example is a good one to keep in mind. It's funny reading David Chase's comment about Pine Barrens because those were the early days of online fan theorizing. People who kept pestering him about what happened to the Russian finally irritated him enough that he said that he knew what happened, he'd never say anything about it.

(and RIP poor Adriana, she got the worst deal out of all the characters. They're not off the mark about Carmela's own complicity and corruption in staying with Tony but acting clueless/ignorant about what's funding her affluent lifestyle.)

Last edited by snufkin on Tue 13 Jun - 7:41; edited 1 time in total
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Tue 13 Jun - 7:12

snufkin wrote:He's already been characterized as impulsive, reckless, and Mr. Personal Interests. It wouldn't be out of character for him to run off on his own because he's desperate to get into the First Jedi Ikea. Or because Snoke wants to go after Rey, which is a given, ESB callback or not.

The spoilers or not thing, another detail to keep in mind is that disinformation for leaks is going to become common practice (making us collectively even more confused and paranoid than we already are) going forward because of hacking. Marcon's campaign team learned from the clusterfuck of our campaign here in the States and fed fake e-mail leaks in the run up to the French election in order to thwart any attempts to sabotage the campaign. It worked, so The Sopranos example is a good one to keep in mind. It's funny reading David Chase's comment about Pine Barrens because those were the early days of online fan theorizing and the people who kept pestering him about what happened to the Russian finally irritated him enough that he said even if he knew what happened, he'd never say anything about it.

(and RIP poor Adriana, she got the worst deal out of all the characters)
@snufkin

Yup. I almost expect there to be disinformation spread in with some of what we've assumed to be correct so far.

I mean, what's one of the few scenes where people actually witnessed the filming? The "rain fight" scene. If LF is going to disseminate some misinformation, that seems like it should be one of the likely targets.

I'm not saying that MSW is wrong. Who knows who the MiB are? But if I was LF and wanted to create confusion among spoiler watchers, this is how I'd do it.

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Tue 13 Jun - 7:19

@ISeeAnIsland if they were smart, they'd have spies hanging out here and be like, "these people are hysterical! we should hire them to spread disinformation about how Luke has spent the past 6 years getting high and being depressed,  Rey fights a Ray Harryhausen type monster that looks like a Beer Can Chicken, and Kylo comes to Ache-to to give her a mixtape about the Dark Side of the Force."
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened on Tue 13 Jun - 11:18

Am I the only one here thinking that Jason already mentioned before some time he had heard the rumor about the lack of KOR in TLJ ?

Because I wasn't surprised at all about it yesterday.
It is weird I agree. Seems a bit off introducing KOR as the big deal before TFA, than just drop it out.

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Tue 13 Jun - 11:42

Some random thoughts, in no particular order:

- I think the KOR were originally meant to be an important-ish element in Kylo's backstory. Remember the original vision sequence from the shooting schedule? First it was "young Kylo is gone", and then "Kylo joins the Knights of Ren". Perhaps this was abandoned, who knows.

- We know that Kylo is the Master of the Knights of Ren, but we don't actually know if the guys in the rain scene were the Knights of Ren. In fact, @panki and I used to speculate that they might be a rag-tag group of bounty hunters. The concept art book called those designs knights, but that doesn't mean anything. Designs are recycled all the time. And we know from Pablo that something about that rain scene changed significantly. It used to mean one thing, then it was reworked to mean something else. There's the KOR vs. "Clan Leader" confusion, etc.

- There are few things I'd call "poor storytelling" because there are so many different ways to tell a good story, but I do have to say that a vision sequence like Rey's is begging to be elucidated somehow. Visions and prophecies in fiction are usually used to good and surprising effect. You have this confusing vision that seems to imply one thing, and then you get, "oh, so that's what it was referring to". It enriches the story when you actually see how it all ties together. So if that rain scene is actually never referenced in any way, I will consider it quite a major casualty of the poor planning process, IMO.

- I think the Praetorian Guards might easily be the KOR.

- On the other hand, I've also had this potential theory for a long while that the actual "Knights of Ren" might not be a group of warriors at all. The knighthood might be like a real historical knighthood - an honour bestowed upon aristocrats and others who are considered deserving. Keep in mind that many of the characters in Canto Bight wear knightly insignia - badges and black sashes.

- Regarding the black-clad figures in Ireland, at some point MSW even thought the black robes in Dubrovnik were parts of the costume. So if there were characters in black robes in Ireland, that doesn't necessarily mean they're wearing black in the film.
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SanghaRen on Tue 13 Jun - 12:24

We are still in PlotGate? I don't even understand PlotGate. I mean I understand there's some worry on the plot not making sense, but I don't really get why we are expecting anything to make fully sense at this point. There's 6 months to go! Thank Universe that we don't have the whole plot. I mean I will be happy if we guessed some of the outline correctly, but I sure hope I get some thrills and surprises watching TLJ so thank you LF for making it difficult for the devoted fans who are so obsessed with guessing the story but deep down still want to be surprised Very Happy I guess I don't understand the "gate" concept anyway. To me many gates seem to be the usual hiccups associated with devoted fandom, but I guess giving them names helps the communication within fandom (?). I love that adjective "devoted" to describe SW fans. Thank you AD for it.

Until proven wrong by the movie, I still expect the KOR in at least a flashback. And I don't think it would hinder Kylo's redemption. I mean we already have a good sense of him having blood on his hands. For all we know he could be plagued by nightmares. I know it will not happen, but a Kylo experiencing nightmarish visions like Mad Max in Fury Road would be cool. Pablo did confirm that Kylo and the KOR wipe out villages. Someone asked if the forceback was just meant to show Kylo and the KOR in some past slaughter action and PH answer "It's what they do." I took it as this is their job. Why the KOR were not with Kylo in the village scene in TFA is a bit strange and if that is not explained as in they were busy doing something else that is important to the plot, I'd be indeed a bit disappointed because it would be a plot hole. Not one that will keep me from enjoying a good movie, though, but it will be hanging there on the wall of "I sometimes wish I hadn't gone so deep into analyzing every single bits and pieces of TFA".

I have zero interest in Snoke's guards. Unless they are super important to the plot, I really don't care what they look like. But I suppose some people love such details.
SanghaRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Helix on Tue 13 Jun - 13:50

The Guards looks cool, but I'm afraid that's all they will be. Just cool designs. I don't want Boba Fett style over substance. I don't think this movie is going for that, though. I'm hoping, at least.
Helix
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SanghaRen on Tue 13 Jun - 13:57

I am just reading your post @Darth Dingbat. It would be quite something if we go from KOR wiping out villages (per PH) to the KOR being knighted aristocrats. I have diffficulties to reconcile both concepts. In my headcanon I still see the KOR as Vader fanboys like the acolytes and it just makes sense that Kylo, having this very angry grudge against his parents and probably uncle and this great admiration for Vader, tagged along a group of Vader fanatics to then become, as Vader's grandson, their leader. It just all fits together except for the reasons why he admires Vader, which I assume will be explained in TLJ. I don't think it needs to be made more complex. It still does not explain why it's stormtroopers that went with Kylo to the village in TFA and not the KOR, especially to retrieve the map to Luke's location *sigh*.

I am actually more annoyed with the KOR being ignored than Snoke not being a big thing in TLJ. Not that I want the KOR to have a lot of screen time but I would have expected them to have some importance. I think @snufkin already mentioned something similar, but it would s*** if Kylo ends up being the Master of some hollow figures only meant to make his title sound cool in TFA. Especially when you don't know what the KOR are. It's one thing to say Luke had students and maybe never see said students, because we know about jedi training and padawans, etc. But saying that someone is the Master of *insert cool name* and then never explain what *cool name* are is not cool. Anyways, rant on KOR over.
SanghaRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Kylo Men on Tue 13 Jun - 14:07

I have to wonder .... is it really better for Disney not to have spoilers out there? I'm sure they don't want the big twist spoiled (if there is one). But I'm not sure having virtually nothing about the plot known is really the best thing.

Kylo Men
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by panki on Tue 13 Jun - 14:10

I can see two possibilities -

- The KOR were Luke's old students who got killed during the massacre.....Rey's vision was called an 'acid trip' and things were not necessarily what they seem...so maybe bits and pieces of the past got merged up with bits and pieces of the future to form images? The Art of TFA shows groups of six individuals in different styles of armour, and they look quite young....it also explains JJ's statement how there could be a movie on the KOR since it could be a flashback about Luke and his jedi order.

-The KOR are a bunch of bounty hunters/thugs who are sent out to do dirty work which should not be traced back to the FO.... maybe this whole 'master' of the KOR is more of a symbolic title since Kylo doesn't quite fit into the regular hierarchy of the FO, just like Vader... Vader kept bounty hunters to do all his work for him.

We are the spark, that’ll light the fire, that’ll burn the First Order down.
panki

http://starwarstheorist.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Tue 13 Jun - 14:35

Kylo Men wrote:I have to wonder .... is it really better for Disney not to have spoilers out there? I'm sure they don't want the big twist spoiled (if there is one). But I'm not sure having virtually nothing about the plot known is really the best thing.
@Kylo Men

Well, I think it is a good feat if they manage to prevent any real major spoilers from leaking... like they did with Rogue One.

But I suppose the question is how far they're ready to go with that. I mean, is it a good strategy to be so spoiler-averse in marketing that you make it sound like there's no story at all? Going by what the marketing has given us so far, you'd think there's no "hook" in the story at all. Just Luke and Rey hanging out on Ahch-To, with the big question being how grumpy Luke has become with age. The Resistance side has some explosions and cool spaceships, and Finn and Rose go on an unspecified adventure of some kind.

I think there are a lot of things they could reveal and entice the audience with without actually spoiling the plot at all. But it's early days yet, so I suppose we might see more interesting marketing in the coming autumn.
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Tue 13 Jun - 14:58

@SanghaRen, I suppose I find them quite easy to reconcile because historically knighthood has always had both dimensions... you'd have warriors knighted for bravery, and high-born knights who may even have been knighted as small children. And obviously there would be hierarchies, with higher-ranking orders of knights and lower-ranking ones. It was never a meritocracy.

I don't know if anything like this has anything to do with the KOR - probably not, and probably the people in Canto Bight are just designed to look aristocratic and elitist with no specific meaning attached to the design. I just find it interesting that they're wearing knightly insignia.

Anyway, I hope the films at least explain what "Ren" means. And I hope it's something interesting. Otherwise Kylo might as well be the Master of the Knights of Higgledypiggledy, and it would be just a meaningless detail.
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by panki on Tue 13 Jun - 15:23

We are the spark, that’ll light the fire, that’ll burn the First Order down.
panki

http://starwarstheorist.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by SanghaRen on Tue 13 Jun - 15:43

panki wrote:I can see two possibilities -

- The KOR were Luke's old students who got killed during the massacre.....Rey's vision was called an 'acid trip' and things were not necessarily what they seem...so maybe bits and pieces of the past got merged up with bits and pieces of the future to form images? The Art of TFA shows groups of six individuals in different styles of armour, and they look quite young....it also explains JJ's statement how there could be a movie on the KOR since it could be a flashback about Luke and his jedi order.

-The KOR are a bunch of bounty hunters/thugs who are sent out to do dirty work which should not be traced back to the FO.... maybe this whole 'master' of the KOR is more of a symbolic title since Kylo doesn't quite fit into the regular hierarchy of the FO, just like Vader... Vader kept bounty hunters to do all his work for him.

But then Vader was never called Master of the Mighty Bounty Hunters or something similar. I don't mind much for the forceback because you are right, it was called an acid trip so it could mean anything and nothing. It's Snoke pompously calling Kylo the "Master of the Knights of Ren" that is annoying me the most. He could have said "Even you, my most gifted apprentice, have never faced such a test" but no it was "Even you, Master of the Knights of Ren, have never faced such a test." If it's only symbolic, it really falls flat. But I guess it would fly above the GA's heads. I'd be Rey, it'd be my favorite teasing line "Hey Master of the Knights of Ren, take out the trash!" Very Happy
SanghaRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Wed 14 Jun - 8:31

@SanghaRen - As much as I would LOL over "Hey Master of the Knights of Ren, take out the trash!" in a future installment with these characters, you'd imagine that Rey is so nice that she'd likely feel bad for him if it turns out that the KoR was something Snoke made up to trick him. I can see them being some kind of creepy DS relic hunters/Vader stans given the # of times the filmmakers have referenced RotLA, including having that movie's screenwriter on team. They could be like the creepy relic hunters group and Ben would be the ultimate trophy if they're Vader fans.

What is a bummer was how much they teased the Seven Samurai references, like are these the actual Star Wars equivalent to ronin samurai? Cause right now it doesn't sound promising that they're going to end up being nothing more than a concept that the designers came up with that the filmmakers loved the aesthetics. Maybe they're shady bounty hunters (I still think Rey's probably been a fugitive since before getting dropped off on Jakku), but they're certainly not giving a sense between that group and the FO that Kylo really has anybody he can rely on. He can scare people into doing things thanks to his helmet, LS, and cool Force tricks, but other than the tenuous connection to Snoke, it doesn't seem like he has the same ability Rey does to get people to follow her lead/positive influence.

snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Geralt_Riv on Wed 14 Jun - 22:22

I didn't know where to put it so I post it here. Most of it if not everything was discussed on our forum but it is worth a listen.
Geralt_Riv
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Thu 15 Jun - 12:09

Geralt_Riv wrote:I didn't know where to put it so I post it here. Most of it if not everything was discussed on our forum but it is worth a listen.
@Geralt_Riv

This was great, especially the Dark Crystal part. It's amazing how much that movie draws from OT and ST from DC.
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Ben Solo on Thu 15 Jun - 17:01

Was anything said on the latest MSW podcast about a new villain being introduced in TLJ? I haven't had a chance to listen to it but I read something on Tumblr about a supposed new villain being mentioned.
Mrs Ben Solo
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened on Thu 15 Jun - 17:16

Mrs Ben Solo wrote:Was anything said on the latest MSW podcast about a new villain being introduced in TLJ? I haven't had a chance to listen to it but I read something on Tumblr about a supposed new villain being mentioned.
@Mrs Ben Solo

Actually it was something very vague and has something to do with the Force Friday thing.

Jason heard Disney is planning a sort of "game" (if I understood correctly) in which fans are supposed to guess (or whatever) a new character.
I didn't understand it was necessary a villain nor completely "new".

I hope someone with better memory can explain it much better.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Ben Solo on Thu 15 Jun - 17:54

Darth_Awakened wrote:
Mrs Ben Solo wrote:Was anything said on the latest MSW podcast about a new villain being introduced in TLJ? I haven't had a chance to listen to it but I read something on Tumblr about a supposed new villain being mentioned.
@Mrs Ben Solo

Actually it was something very vague and has something to do with the Force Friday thing.

Jason heard Disney is planning a sort of "game" (if I understood correctly) in which fans are supposed to guess (or whatever) a new character.
I didn't understand it was necessary a villain nor completely "new".

I hope someone with better memory can explain it much better.
@Darth_Awakened

Ah, o.k, thanks for the info. I will try and find time to listen later.
Mrs Ben Solo
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 35 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 25 ... 35  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum