Discussion: Podcasts

Page 17 of 17 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 15, 16, 17

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Discussion: Podcasts

Post by Piper Maru on Sat 17 Jun - 0:08

@panki wrote:
@Rimfaxe96 wrote:
@Kylo Men wrote:They don't have enough useless bad guys already?
@Kylo Men

My thought exactly. It doesn't help that Phasma, the oh so fearsome alpha stormtrooper, ends up thrown into the garbage chute. I'd be surprised if she doesn't bite the dust because of how she betrayed the FO at gunpoint.
@Rimfaxe96

You bring up an interesting point...on one hand Hux and Phasma appear menacing but Phasma dropped SKB's shields with barely any protest and Hux abandoned his men the moment SKB was blowing up....I feel it is supposed to tell you something about the FO- that the facade is impressive but the core is hollow and weak.
@panki

I agree, and from my first viewing I always saw the FO as part of a "comedy of errors". Everything is over the top and ridiculous (Hux's speech, Snoke wanting to be called SUPREME LEADER), and they fail at being villains (Kylo as the poster boy for this) despite having a weapon capable of destroying planets and enough manpower to wipe out the galaxy. I think this is deliberate and it's there to show you that they can't stand on their feet at all, and despite being a "new" institution, they're doomed from the start.
Piper Maru
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Ben Solo on Sat 17 Jun - 0:47

@Piper Maru wrote:
@panki wrote:
@Rimfaxe96 wrote:
@Kylo Men

My thought exactly. It doesn't help that Phasma, the oh so fearsome alpha stormtrooper, ends up thrown into the garbage chute. I'd be surprised if she doesn't bite the dust because of how she betrayed the FO at gunpoint.
@Rimfaxe96

You bring up an interesting point...on one hand Hux and Phasma appear menacing but Phasma dropped SKB's shields with barely any protest and Hux abandoned his men the moment SKB was blowing up....I feel it is supposed to tell you something about the FO- that the facade is impressive but the core is hollow and weak.
@panki

I agree, and from my first viewing I always saw the FO as part of a "comedy of errors". Everything is over the top and ridiculous (Hux's speech, Snoke wanting to be called SUPREME LEADER), and they fail at being villains (Kylo as the poster boy for this) despite having a weapon capable of destroying planets and enough manpower to wipe out the galaxy. I think this is deliberate and it's there to show you that they can't stand on their feet at all, and despite being a "new" institution, they're doomed from the start.
@Piper Maru

This is why I'm hoping for a villain(s) to emerge with some deeper purpose for their evil than the usual Galactic domination. I guess it's the big standard scenario for bad guys and I can see how The First Order draws upon the evils in our own world for inspiration, much as the OT and PT did with Vietnam and US politics. However, I always prefer the villains who are motivated by things other than just a hunger for power. Again, maybe Snoke will turn out to be that guy and he needed the power grab to achieve his darker aims. Kind of like how Steve Bannon wants to use Donald Trump's power as president to basically destroy the institutions of government and economics to rebuild it in the Alt-Right image. That is pretty terrifying when you consider it, even more so because it appears to be working.
Mrs Ben Solo
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Saracene on Sat 17 Jun - 1:09

@panki wrote:
@Rimfaxe96 wrote:
@Kylo Men

@Rimfaxe96

@panki

Yeah... but unimpressive villains do tend to suck the tension out of a story if they don't pose a credible threat to the heroes. Kylo of course is a different story because there's so much more going on there than him being a threat to Rey, but they really need to give Phasma and the FO a boost.

Part of the reason why the Starkiller plot was so meh in TFA was that the heroes kinda treated it like a joke, with the Phasma comedy and Han's "pffft surely we can just blow it up again".
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://yggdrasille.com

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Sat 17 Jun - 6:06

Everyone should listen to this discussion about gate-keeping in fandom. Fantastic:

https://soundcloud.com/whotalksfirst/fandom-gate-keeping-and-other-unpleasantness-who-takls-first-episode-30

Also this. Conversations with the Reylo skeptic:

vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Mon 19 Jun - 21:20

Colin Trevorrow was a guest on the most recent episode of Mtv's Happy Sad Confused podcast (which Daisy also did a while back). A few things he said that were worth noting:

* He took his 5-year-old daughter to see Wonder Woman, and talked about what a huge deal that was for her, and how important it was for her to see a female hero like that. (Possible damage control, given some of his publicity?)
* Talked a bit about how as someone in a privileged position, he has a responsibility to help others who aren't in that position help get their feet in the door and elevate them up.
* Mentioned thing that was posted in the CT/spoilers thread about how Colin asked Rian to "shoot this one little thing" to set something up for IX.
* There's a script for IX, but they're still working on it. It's a process, etc.

Overall, it was a lot of CT saying the "right" thing to the various questions. He came across as fairly self-aware and not as tone-deaf as some of the BoH reviews have made him out to be (or as "Home Base" made him out to be). That doesn't mean that I'm feeling great about IX, but I don't think he's an idiot, either.

Last edited by ISeeAnIsland on Mon 19 Jun - 21:33; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Mon 19 Jun - 21:30

@ISeeAnIsland wrote:Colin Trevorrow was a guest on the most recent episode of Mtv's Happy San Confused podcast (which Daisy also did a while back). A few things he said that were worth noting:

* He took his 5-year-old daughter to see Wonder Woman, and talked about what a huge deal that was for her, and how important it was for her to see a female hero like that. (Possible damage control, given some of his publicity?)
* Talked a bit about how as someone in a privileged position, he has a responsibility to help others who aren't in that position help get their feet in the door and elevate them up.
* Mentioned thing that was posted in the CT/spoilers thread about how Colin asked Rian to "shoot this one little thing" to set something up for IX.
* There's a script for IX, but they're still working on it. It's a process, etc.

Overall, it was a lot of CT saying the "right" thing to the various questions. He came across as fairly self-aware and not as tone-deaf as some of the BoH reviews have made him out to be (or as "Home Base" made him out to be). That doesn't mean that I'm feeling great about IX, but I don't think he's an idiot, either.

@ISeeAnIsland

That's refreshing to hear. What's even better is that he says THEY'RE still working on the script for IX, meaning he's not the only one involved. There's multiple eyes on this thing.

Today is a great day all the way around! Smile

Yeah.  Keep telling yourself that, buddy...
IoJovi

Back to top Go down

Post by Kessel on Mon 19 Jun - 21:34

@ISeeAnIsland wrote:Colin Trevorrow was a guest on the most recent episode of Mtv's Happy San Confused podcast (which Daisy also did a while back). A few things he said that were worth noting:

@ISeeAnIsland

Yes, he seems to be able to articulate the right points when he wants to. I just hope his actions can demonstrate that, if he is kept on as Episode IX's main director.
Kessel
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowgirlsamurai on Mon 19 Jun - 21:35

@ISeeAnIsland

Both the Wonder Woman thing and the script-in-progress thing make me feel better about CT Smile  I wonder who helps edit drafts of the script.
Cowgirlsamurai
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Mon 19 Jun - 21:36

@IoJovi wrote:

@ISeeAnIsland

That's refreshing to hear. What's even better is that he says THEY'RE still working on the script for IX, meaning he's not the only one involved. There's multiple eyes on this thing.

@IoJovi

Yeah, he kind of (understandably) sidestepped the question about having these huge movies handed to him, but I got the impression that he's aware of the opportunity that he was handed, rather than coming off sounding like he was entitled. And it also seems like he's very aware of the criticism around him being handed these gigs and the responsibility that he has to female characters, etc.

Now, whether he executes on these things is remained to be seen, but like I said, he was saying the "right" things at least.

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Mon 19 Jun - 21:41

@ISeeAnIsland wrote:
@IoJovi wrote:

@ISeeAnIsland

@IoJovi

Yeah, he kind of (understandably) sidestepped the question about having these huge movies handed to him, but I got the impression that he's aware of the opportunity that he was handed, rather than coming off sounding like he was entitled. And it also seems like he's very aware of the criticism around him being handed these gigs and the responsibility that he has to female characters, etc.

Now, whether he executes on these things is remained to be seen, but like I said, he was saying the "right" things at least.
@ISeeAnIsland

Well I think many of us are already aware that he's very well spoken in interviews and that likely played a part in how he landed the gig. In my professional life though, I've seen folks just like that who know how to say the right things and can sound so eloquent when doing so, but don't deliver on what they've promised. I'm not saying that's what's happening here and hopefully he is self aware enough of the criticism he's facing and he's willing to take it to heart.

I'm still heartened by the fact that there's a group that will have a hand in writing the script, and not just him. Let's just say though I'm hopeful.

Yeah.  Keep telling yourself that, buddy...
IoJovi

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Mon 19 Jun - 21:53

@IoJovi wrote:
@ISeeAnIsland wrote:
@IoJovi wrote:

@ISeeAnIsland

@IoJovi

@ISeeAnIsland

Well I think many of us are already aware that he's very well spoken in interviews and that likely played a part in how he landed the gig. In my professional life though, I've seen folks just like that who know how to say the right things and can sound so eloquent when doing so, but don't deliver on what they've promised. I'm not saying that's what's happening here and hopefully he is self aware enough of the criticism he's facing and he's willing to take it to heart.

I'm still heartened by the fact that there's a group that will have a hand in writing the script, and not just him. Let's just say though I'm hopeful.
@IoJovi

Oh, I agree! I've actually gotten training in techniques you can use when interviewing candidates to be able to tell the difference between someone who says all of the right things but can't back them up vs. someone who can.

All I'm really saying is that I am feeling a bit better about HenryGate after having heard this interview. He does seem to be able to take criticism to heart (which is one of the things we've been trained to ferret out).

Back to top Go down

Post by Geralt_Riv on Mon 19 Jun - 22:23

@ISeeAnIsland wrote:
@IoJovi wrote:
@ISeeAnIsland wrote:
@IoJovi wrote:

@ISeeAnIsland

@IoJovi

@ISeeAnIsland

@IoJovi

Oh, I agree! I've actually gotten training in techniques you can use when interviewing candidates to be able to tell the difference between someone who says all of the right things but can't back them up vs. someone who can.

All I'm really saying is that I am feeling a bit better about HenryGate after having heard this interview. He does seem to be able to take criticism to heart (which is one of the things we've been trained to ferret out).
@ISeeAnIsland

Geralt_Riv
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Wed 21 Jun - 14:37

Jason has given a really great interview to Steele about what was happening BTS of Han Solo movie. Stuff they've heard of and why he didn't report (SW fans panic about anything)L

http://makingstarwars.net/2017/06/steele-wars-call-in-show-chris-miller-phil-lord-depart-han-solo-immediate-reaction-w-eflind-makingstarwars/
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened on Wed 21 Jun - 17:28

http://makingstarwars.net/2017/06/episode-184-makingstarwars-nets-now-this-is-podcasting-kennedy-fired-first/

Han Solo stand-alone directors have been fired.
Business.
Reviews.
Huge Scoop on Amy Hennig’s Visceral Star Wars game.
The Last Jedi News: Snoke LEGO Figure.
Space Punch.
Evil BB-8.
Comics: Journey to the Last Jedi: Captain Phasma announced!
IDW’s Star Wars Adventures Comics announced.
Filoni confirms Ahsoka isn’t a dog.
Pod People.
Darth_Awakened
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Wed 21 Jun - 17:54

@Darth_Awakened wrote:
http://makingstarwars.net/2017/06/episode-184-makingstarwars-nets-now-this-is-podcasting-kennedy-fired-first/

Han Solo stand-alone directors have been fired.
Business.
Reviews.
Huge Scoop on Amy Hennig’s Visceral Star Wars game.
The Last Jedi News: Snoke LEGO Figure.
Space Punch.
Evil BB-8.
Comics: Journey to the Last Jedi: Captain Phasma announced!
IDW’s Star Wars Adventures Comics announced.
Filoni confirms Ahsoka isn’t a dog.
Pod People.
@Darth_Awakened

If anyone's listening, start with Pod People and then go back to the beginning. They tend to have more spoilers in Pod when questions require them.
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Thu 22 Jun - 16:32

Haven't listened yet, but latest episode of the Talkhouse podcast is by Rian Johnson and Ana Lily Amirpour (Girl Walks Home Alone at Night/The Bad Batch)

Their wide-ranging conversation covers the breadth of the filmmaking process, from the trials of writing to post-production anxieties, and takes in cinematic boners, being a “frame f**ker,” their respective metaphors for making movies, Rian’s experiences making his upcoming Star Wars: The Last Jedi, and much more.

ETA - so part of it is about meeting Terry Gilliam and being fans of his. Hmm, who else knows Gilliam?
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdwoman on Thu 22 Jun - 16:57

@snufkins Thanks!
I will try and listen to this later as I am trying to avoid the heat....
It is only 95 degrees out here at 10:00 a.m.

Birdwoman
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Rowan on Thu 22 Jun - 17:01

@Saracene wrote:
@panki wrote:
@Rimfaxe96 wrote:
@Kylo Men

@Rimfaxe96

@panki

Yeah... but unimpressive villains do tend to suck the tension out of a story if they don't pose a credible threat to the heroes. Kylo of course is a different story because there's so much more going on there than him being a threat to Rey, but they really need to give Phasma and the FO a boost.

Part of the reason why the Starkiller plot was so meh in TFA was that the heroes kinda treated it like a joke, with the Phasma comedy and Han's "pffft surely we can just blow it up again".
@Saracene

Agreed with all of this. I remember watching TFA and hearing gasps in the audience when Kylo Ren disarms Finn. It was a terrifying moment for Finn and for the audience because Kylo is a credible threat to Finn, otherwise it would be all ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  cause you know Finn's gonna be alright. (Conversely, although I didn't expect Rey to open up a can of whoop a** on Kylo, when it seemed that he had cornered her into the edge of the cliff I was not worried for her in the least. Interesting ^^)

If the ST intends to at least partially de-claw Kylo Ren - the only legitimately menacing figure in the FO - in preparation for his redemption arc, we need to see someone step up to fill the role of villain credibly. And it sure as hell won't be Supreme Goldmember Leader all snuggled up in his gold bathrobe. *snort*

I had high hopes for Benicio del Toro's character but after the VF spread...not so much. Unless he turns out to be King Prana slumming it as a hobo for giggles, idk.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Thu 22 Jun - 17:04

@Birdwoman - I'm at the point where he's talking about the writing process and working with the Story Group at the Presidio campus. And 108°F yesterday with expected high of 110°F today. No sign of the Delta Breeze, but "it's a dry heat" hahaha.

@Darth Rowan - I really hope that BdT is a significant character and it plays to his strengths of playing some very wily and unsettling characters (I've only watched his parts in Savages b/c it's kind of hilarious Blake Lively et all could even go toe to toe with him). It'd be a huge waste if he turns out to be a Max Von Sydow one shot. I have thought besides the possibility of Laura Dern being some kind of back stabbing Tracy Flick type character (or from the same group who were aligned with the FO and plotting against Leia in Bloodline) that if they're smart, they'll make better use of Phasma as one of the heavies. Especially if the rumors of Hux getting 'retired' pan out. And you know that Christie would do an amazing job of it, especially because Phasma's going to be out for blood after what Finn did.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by krissy01 on Thu 22 Jun - 20:50

@snufkin So at the end of the interview (@ 35 min) Rian Johnson talks about Amirpour's films and how they have a 'deep seated romanticism' that he connects to and loves and how in her film 'even when the romantic element of it is dark, it's still deeply romantic' and of course my mind went there and i may have said a little prayer.

krissy01
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Thu 22 Jun - 22:39

@krissy01 wrote:@snufkin So at the end of the interview (@ 35 min) Rian Johnson talks about Amirpour's films and how they have a 'deep seated romanticism' that he connects to and loves and how in her film 'even when the romantic element of it is dark, it's still deeply romantic' and of course my mind went there and i may have said a little prayer.

@krissy01 - I don't think you're the only poster here who would have that same impulse about the "dark yet deeply romantic" comment

There's been a lot of discussions about the potential to be something in the Gothic Romance genre, either if you've read the Bronte Sisters or seen Guillermo del Toro's movies like Crimson Peak. Beside the lighting, positioning, and dialogue from the Interrogation Scene reminding me a lot of the car trunk scene in Out of Sight, I've considered that what may happen between the two of them could be like Cary Fukanaga's Sin Nombre. Which is the movie which got his signed on to Jane Eyre. It's never overtly romantic, but the characters and themes are quite similar

Last edited by snufkin on Fri 23 Jun - 2:27; edited 1 time in total
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland Yesterday at 2:16

@snufkin wrote:Haven't listened yet, but latest episode of the Talkhouse podcast is by Rian Johnson and Ana Lily Amirpour (Girl Walks Home Alone at Night/The Bad Batch)

Their wide-ranging conversation covers the breadth of the filmmaking process, from the trials of writing to post-production anxieties, and takes in cinematic boners, being a “frame f**ker,” their respective metaphors for making movies, Rian’s experiences making his upcoming Star Wars: The Last Jedi, and much more.

ETA - so part of it is about meeting Terry Gilliam and being fans of his. Hmm, who else knows Gilliam?
@snufkin

Sounds like TLJ post-production is going smoothly. Rian expects to be finished in August.

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 17 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 15, 16, 17

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum