Discussion: Podcasts

Page 25 of 37 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 31 ... 37  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Discussion: Podcasts

Post by adamdrivershair on Wed 26 Jul - 21:50

@snufkin I'll have to check that out! Smile

IoJovi wrote:
tukicarreno wrote:
IoJovi wrote:I am almost done with the Podcast, and I've gotten to the "Reylo" question.  I am laughing hysterically at my cubicle at work at how absolutely obtuse these two guys are, given EVERYTHING they just discussed.  How can anyone possibly be that dense?  They discussed everything from Force visions, to how will the Skywalker line continue if Rey isn't one, to Yin and Yang, and they STILL find romance unlikely.  They're now talking about a dot of light in him, and a dot of dark in her...  Just....

lol!

That's all.
@IoJovi

Right? And they are still talking about the possibility of Rey being Luke´s daughter ? WTF? Rolling Eyes Are they up to date? Laughing
@tukicarreno

If anyone mentioned the idea of Rey being Luke's daughter, I missed it.  This DEFINITELY had an air of romanticism around the whole thing, even if they say it's a slim possibility at the very end.  If it weren't for the direct Reylo question and how they basically skirted around it, I would have given this podcast an 8/9 out of a 10.  The end though just turned it into pure comedy, and I learned I can't expect anything less from fanboys.
@IoJovi

That made me think of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLuIJM8XxHQ

These two dudes, bless them, actually dig into the topic and seriously consider it, coming to the conclusion that they could get behind something "reylo-ish." The guy with the beard is my spirit animal - he continually, enthusiastically counters all the common arguments the other guy says and convinces him to rethink it.

The only thing is, though, I don't think they count as "fanboys," probably GA Very Happy So I think I tend to agree - though you never know! Appearances can be deceiving. Some firm anti-reyloers loved @nonesuch's speculative plot breakdown, which in my reading, derives a lot of drama from Rey-Kylo dynamics. It shocked me!
adamdrivershair
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Wed 26 Jul - 22:43

@adamdrivershair

You reminded me of one other detail where they used the camera's PoV for a character. Credit to @BastilaBey for pointing this out originally, but when they cut to Rey still asleep in the interogation chair, it's Ren's PoV scanning up her body to her face. This ain't the same PoV used for the shot of Poe, that's for sure. But it's 100% in that moment his perspective looking at her (apologies for small gif, I threw together the screenshots on a free web based gif maker)

snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by adamdrivershair on Wed 26 Jul - 23:28

snufkin wrote:@adamdrivershair

You reminded me of one other detail where they used the camera's PoV for a character. Credit to @BastilaBey for pointing this out originally, but when they cut to Rey still asleep in the interogation chair, it's Ren's PoV scanning up her body to her face. This ain't the same PoV used for the shot of Poe, that's for sure. But it's 100% in that moment his perspective looking at her (apologies for small gif, I threw together the screenshots on a free web based gif maker)

@snufkin

Yes! I haven't seen much discussion of that, but it's right in our faces. That's, what, the second time he does that, after the up-down he gives her in the forest? (That one tends to be unnoticed generally too - wonder if people might have noticed more if he'd had his mask off?)
adamdrivershair
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Wed 26 Jul - 23:35

adamdrivershair wrote:

@snufkin

Yes! I haven't seen much discussion of that, but it's right in our faces. That's, what, the second time he does that, after the up-down he gives her in the forest? (That one tends to be unnoticed generally too - wonder if people might have noticed more if he'd had his mask off?)
@adamdrivershair

Definitely the 2nd time. He gives her the elevator eyes when he stops her and approaches her with the "Girl I've heard so much about" snark. But that's shown from an omniscient perspective for the camera. Versus this one is very much the camera representing his PoV as he's looking at her. And there's another quick elevator eyes move from him once they start talking. But same, omniscient perspective.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Wed 26 Jul - 23:39

snufkin wrote:
adamdrivershair wrote:

@snufkin

@adamdrivershair

Definitely the 2nd time. He gives her the elevator eyes when he stops her and approaches her with the "Girl I've heard so much about" snark. But that's shown from an omniscient perspective for the camera. Versus this one is very much the camera representing his PoV as he's looking at her. And there's another quick elevator eyes move from him once they start talking. But same, omniscient perspective.
@snufkin

Oh the first up and down he gives her in the forest isn't unnoticed.  One of the fondest memories I have of SWC was watching TFA in our condo with some of the folks in our group, and we were all whistling and whoohooing when he did that.  

Fun times... Laughing

Nice catch though from @Bastilabey in the interrogation. That one is new to me and I didn't catch it before. I definitely caught the elevator eyes Rey gives back to him though.

Back to top Go down

Post by WhatGirl on Wed 26 Jul - 23:42

@snufkin

LOL, wow.

He sure checks her out a lot for someone who's apparently "only interested in her powers", doesn't he? ROFL
WhatGirl
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Wed 26 Jul - 23:53

@IoJovi - that was where TFA stopped being a fun mindless re-hash of a matinee and got weird in a really interesting way. Because up until that point, you know he's the bad guy, plus that the Solo family clearly needs to go to family therapy. But he comes charging up to Rey in that moment full of sound and fury, we've already seen what he did to Poe in a similar situation, and he throttled Mitaka upon learning that she's the reason why he still doesn't have the map. But the moment he stops/freezes her and strides up to be completely menacing, I was like "Did he just check her out? WTF?" Like he was all psyched up to go be Mr Dark Warlord and then the moment he actually sees her, in @MeadowofAshes' words as an armed services veteran, the mission commander starts thinking with his d*ck instead of his brain.

@WhatGirl - yeah no kidding. Why else get upset when she calls him a creature or that she's not okay with being kidnapped and wants to kick his a**? He seems to think that once she sees how gallant he is, she'll give him the map and then they'll go play some video games or Netflix and Chill in his private quarters.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by adamdrivershair on Thu 27 Jul - 0:03

snufkin wrote:
adamdrivershair wrote:

@snufkin

@adamdrivershair

@snufkin

LOL. You've got to wonder how he's going to react with the Boobgate!Top coming into play.

I'm trying not to expect anything - like, he'll be too intent on his mission to kill her, or something, than to notice. But the other half of my brain is like, this is Kylo. He's doomed. Very Happy
adamdrivershair
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Thu 27 Jul - 0:18

@adamdrivershair - That bra is Force powered to lift, separate, and make extra perky! And he already tried to check out her chest when she's sassing him with droid specifications. I think that's part of the gender divide, in terms of what people recognize from their interactions. Because a lot of women immediately saw that as a "My eyes are up here" move on his part because they've experienced it.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Lily Snape on Thu 27 Jul - 0:22

Cowgirlsamurai wrote:Guy #1:
I don't like it, but 30% chance of Reylo happening.

Guy #2
0% chance based on what Rian said about no romance, but based on podcast discussion, 9% chance.
Equates Reylo with Edward and Bella fighting the Voltori (?) OR bad Harry Potter fanfiction.
Doesn't like endings where everyone goes off and has families and babies because those things "drag you down."

WTF
@Cowgirlsamurai

I haven't had a chance to listen to it, but the link is to "Cantina Cast," not "Now This is Podcasting."  Both are part of the MSW network, but NTIP is Jason Ward.  This is two other fanboys who started out as hardcore Reywalkers.  I listened to a few episodes a while back and stopped when one of them made an incredibly crude comment about how he would respond if Rey wasn't Luke's kid and how she'd be meaningless if she wasn't Luke's.  (But Finn didn't have to be anyone's offspring to matter, presumably because he's a guy.). 

These guys don't have any spoilers-- they just talk about Star Wars.  I have no idea whether they are still Reywalkers, but their response to the possibility of Rey not being Luke's was pretty rude and extreme back in 2016.  Just FYI.
Lily Snape
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Thu 27 Jul - 0:23

snufkin wrote:@adamdrivershair - That bra is Force powered to lift, separate, and make extra perky! And he already tried to check out her chest when she's sassing him with droid specifications. I think that's part of the gender divide, in terms of what people recognize from their interactions. Because a lot of women know it from their own personal experience.
@snufkin

The minute the boobgate photo was released with the threat of rain in the background, I laughed my a** of and lost my sith. Cuz you know homeboy is going to fall to pieces when he sees her again. All Rey is going to be thinking is, what is wrong with this guy!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Thu 27 Jul - 0:32

@IoJovi - I figure Leia took Rey to the spa and shopping planet Carrie Fisher used to joke about for a ladies' day out to go shopping and get fitted for a bra. It'd be the most Bechdel test moment ever in Star Wars! And yes, ironic twist after having Poe with LST in the opening scene, we know that Leia sends Rey off to Ache-to. When more than likely, her wayward son will be showing up there. Space Mom's kind of genius in that respect!

See this is why there needs to be more female voices in fandom and podcasting. Fanboys who are struggling with some basic film and literary tropes don't have the capacity to riff on bra talk (which is totally critical to the plot!) or how his behavior around Rey is apparent to female fans because "women always figure out the truth."
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Lily Snape on Thu 27 Jul - 0:35

Darth_Awakened wrote:
Helix wrote:I don't know if I can listen, but this is the same Podcast that used to be uber Reywalker, right? I think I used to listen to them but stopped because of the aforementioned Reywalker-ness. A little doesn't hurt, but I vaguely remember it being SUPER Reywalker.
@Helix

Yep. They were THE Reywalkers of Jason's net.
@Darth_Awakened

I'm probably double-posting here, but yes-- this isn't Jason, it's the hardcore Reywalker podcast on his network.  They made it clear that they had zero interest in Rey as a character if she wasn't Luke's kid, and that's when I stopped listening.
Lily Snape
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by MeadowofAshes on Thu 27 Jul - 0:37

IoJovi wrote:
snufkin wrote:@adamdrivershair - That bra is Force powered to lift, separate, and make extra perky! And he already tried to check out her chest when she's sassing him with droid specifications. I think that's part of the gender divide, in terms of what people recognize from their interactions. Because a lot of women know it from their own personal experience.
@snufkin

The minute the boobgate photo was released with the threat of rain in the background, I laughed my a** of and lost my sith.  Cuz you know homeboy is going to fall to pieces when he sees her again.  All Rey is going to be thinking is, what is wrong with this guy!!!
@IoJovi Showed an old Navy buddy (and fellow SW fan) the BTS video the day it came out and said, "Looks like she goes in the water in that white shirt". His response: "Thanks for the b****!" I said, "Kylo will be on Ahch-To too." He said, "That poor guy is so screwed. Won't be able to swing his lightsaber because his d*** will be in the way." Of course his favorite response to Reylo is, "You never know" followed by a pic of Luke and Leia making out (because Reylo versus Reywalker has always been equally possible to him) but that he acknowledges Rey is supposed to be hot and of course Kylo would think so is credit I have to give a very old school fanboy.

Last edited by MeadowofAshes on Thu 27 Jul - 0:37; edited 1 time in total
MeadowofAshes
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowgirlsamurai on Thu 27 Jul - 0:37

Lily Snape wrote:
Cowgirlsamurai wrote:Guy #1:
I don't like it, but 30% chance of Reylo happening.

Guy #2
0% chance based on what Rian said about no romance, but based on podcast discussion, 9% chance.
Equates Reylo with Edward and Bella fighting the Voltori (?) OR bad Harry Potter fanfiction.
Doesn't like endings where everyone goes off and has families and babies because those things "drag you down."

WTF
@Cowgirlsamurai

I haven't had a chance to listen to it, but the link is to "Cantina Cast," not "Now This is Podcasting."  Both are part of the MSW network, but NTIP is Jason Ward.  This is two other fanboys who started out as hardcore Reywalkers.  I listened to a few episodes a while back and stopped when one of them made an incredibly crude comment about how he would respond if Rey wasn't Luke's kid and how she'd be meaningless if she wasn't Luke's.  (But Finn didn't have to be anyone's offspring to matter, presumably because he's a guy.). 

These guys don't have any spoilers-- they just talk about Star Wars.  I have no idea whether they are still Reywalkers, but their response to the possibility of Rey not being Luke's was pretty rude and extreme back in 2016.  Just FYI.
@Lily Snape

Ah, yes, I realize now that I got them confused. When I read that some were afraid they were going to present actual spoilers, I assumed it was MSW people, but then it was just spec stuff.

Still funny how they had a Reylo conversation while steering pretty clear of the romance aspect. I can't get over the "It's the girl of my dreams." Pause. "Not in a romantic way."
This podcast didn't have much to do with my gross feelings about today in history, but I'm still just done. The same guys who are no romance in my Star Wars, seem to be the same ones who hate Kylo but constantly comment on how hot Daisy is all the time, and certainly wouldn't complain if she stripped down out of nowhere in the next film.

Cowgirlsamurai
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by SkyStar on Thu 27 Jul - 9:52

Lily Snape wrote:
Darth_Awakened wrote:
Helix wrote:I don't know if I can listen, but this is the same Podcast that used to be uber Reywalker, right? I think I used to listen to them but stopped because of the aforementioned Reywalker-ness. A little doesn't hurt, but I vaguely remember it being SUPER Reywalker.
@Helix

Yep. They were THE Reywalkers of Jason's net.
@Darth_Awakened

I'm probably double-posting here, but yes-- this isn't Jason, it's the hardcore Reywalker podcast on his network.  They made it clear that they had zero interest in Rey as a character if she wasn't Luke's kid, and that's when I stopped listening.
@Lily Snape

I think I listened one of their late podcasts before this one, and they admitted that they are now accepting the possibility that Rey is not Luke's daughter. Not that they think she isn't, but they are not so convinced now.

Also, what I remember from that podcast is that one of the hosts was really excited that we see AD without the mask for the most of the movie to appreciate AD acting because he thought AD facial acting is wasted under the mask. But it seemed he is almost as apologizing for wanting Kylo to be without the mask like he felt almost that he needed to explain himself for not wanting the bad*** masked character. It felt bit sad that he needs to justify having an opinion that he prefers to see great acting and emotions.
SkyStar
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Mon 31 Jul - 18:53

New episode of MSW NTIP up:

http://makingstarwars.net/2017/07/episode-189-now-podcasting-last-jedi-poster-concepts/

On this week’s episode of Now, This Is Podcasting!…

Lizzy and Jared join Randy, Sal, & Jason!
Business: We give it to you.
Untitled Young Han Solo movie has Ron Howard tweets!
Untitled Young Han Solo movie has a composer!
The Last Jedi!
Fake exclusive Porg Audio
Lizzy refuses to share her Porg audio and does the Vegimite challenge!
Four Last Jedi Poster Concepts discussed!
Snoke and Luke Skywalker’s walking stick.
Last Jedi Image Leaks discussed.
Elite Praetorian Guard Product Text
Kylo Ren Product Text
Pod People

Back to top Go down

Post by Helix on Mon 31 Jul - 19:34

Everyone is excited about Porgs.

Canon. It's canon.
Helix
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Helix on Mon 31 Jul - 21:10

Oh no, they talk about Cantina Cast 'making the Reylos mad'. And Kylux, oddly. Apparently they didn't even listen to it, though. Laughing

Last edited by Helix on Mon 31 Jul - 21:22; edited 3 times in total
Helix
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Helix on Mon 31 Jul - 21:11

EDIT: Double post, why.
Helix
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Mon 31 Jul - 21:47

Helix wrote:Oh no, they talk about Cantina Cast 'making the Reylos mad'. And Kylux, oddly. Apparently they didn't even listen to it, though. Laughing
@Helix

Yeah, there's an extended conversation on the concept of "shipping" in general...with more of the Matt and Pablo-esque "I just don't get it" type of remarks.

Jason did have a funny comment where he said that he wouldn't "ship" Padme with Obi-wan or anyone because frankly, he'd rather just ship Natalie Portman with himself. Then they ended up applying the concept of shipping to fast food combos and other stuff. More than anything, they played the "clueless guy" card. The woman who they had on as a guest was really into Kylux--that's where the Kylux bit came from.

Basically, I didn't think there was anything particularly interesting in this episode. They went over some of the new leaked merch, etc, but nothing that we haven't already discussed to death.

Back to top Go down

Post by Helix on Mon 31 Jul - 21:55

ISeeAnIsland wrote:
Helix wrote:Oh no, they talk about Cantina Cast 'making the Reylos mad'. And Kylux, oddly. Apparently they didn't even listen to it, though. Laughing
@Helix

Yeah, there's an extended conversation on the concept of "shipping" in general...with more of the Matt and Pablo-esque "I just don't get it" type of remarks.

Jason did have a funny comment where he said that he wouldn't "ship" Padme with Obi-wan or anyone because frankly, he'd rather just ship Natalie Portman with himself. Then they ended up applying the concept of shipping to fast food combos and other stuff. More than anything, they played the "clueless guy" card. The woman who they had on as a guest was really into Kylux--that's where the Kylux bit came from.

Basically, I didn't think there was anything particularly interesting in this episode. They went over some of the new leaked merch, etc, but nothing that we haven't already discussed to death.
@ISeeAnIsland

I'd rather just ship Snoke with myself rather than Sney or Snuke.

I agree with the guest on just shipping something because you like the idea of them together with no real hope of it happening, because I do that all the time. Laughing
Helix
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria Antonietta on Mon 31 Jul - 22:01

BLEAH
Maria Antonietta
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Mon 31 Jul - 22:06

@Helix

I personally thought the podcast was funny.  I wasn't offended at all, even though I thought they were being extremely obtuse for saying that in their opinion a romance was unlikely event after they discussed and acknowledged in depth every romantic trope imaginable.

That's what I found hilarious.

Back to top Go down

Post by Helix on Mon 31 Jul - 22:12

IoJovi wrote:
@Helix

I personally thought the podcast was funny.  I wasn't offended at all, even though I thought they were being extremely obtuse for saying that in their opinion a romance was unlikely event after they discussed and acknowledged in depth every romantic trope imaginable.

That's what I found hilarious.
@IoJovi

They mention the sexism accusations specifically, so I dunno if people tweeted Cantina Cast calling them sexist, or what.
Helix
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Page 25 of 37 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 31 ... 37  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum