Discussion: Podcasts

Page 27 of 30 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Discussion: Podcasts

Post by Helix on Mon 31 Jul - 23:54

@MeadowofAshes wrote:
@Helix wrote:
@IoJovi wrote:
@Helix wrote:Oh no, they talk about Cantina Cast 'making the Reylos mad'. And Kylux, oddly. Apparently they didn't even listen to it, though. Laughing
@Helix

I personally thought the podcast was funny.  I wasn't offended at all, even though I thought they were being extremely obtuse for saying that in their opinion a romance was unlikely event after they discussed and acknowledged in depth every romantic trope imaginable.

That's what I found hilarious.
@IoJovi

They mention the sexism accusations specifically, so I dunno if people tweeted Cantina Cast calling them sexist, or what.
@Helix
I don't think anyone from here accused them of sexism. We did take the piss out of them for the afformentioned obtusity though. Laughing
@MeadowofAshes

Nah, I didn't think that either. They got the idea from somewhere and, I dunno, tattled to Jason. Laughing
Helix
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria Antonietta on Tue 1 Aug - 0:03

@Helix wrote:
@MeadowofAshes wrote:
@Helix wrote:
@IoJovi wrote:
@Helix wrote:Oh no, they talk about Cantina Cast 'making the Reylos mad'. And Kylux, oddly. Apparently they didn't even listen to it, though. Laughing
@Helix

I personally thought the podcast was funny.  I wasn't offended at all, even though I thought they were being extremely obtuse for saying that in their opinion a romance was unlikely event after they discussed and acknowledged in depth every romantic trope imaginable.

That's what I found hilarious.
@IoJovi

They mention the sexism accusations specifically, so I dunno if people tweeted Cantina Cast calling them sexist, or what.
@Helix
I don't think anyone from here accused them of sexism. We did take the piss out of them for the afformentioned obtusity though. Laughing
@MeadowofAshes

Nah, I didn't think that either. They got the idea from somewhere and, I dunno, tattled to Jason. Laughing
@Helix

There were rants on tumblr. I can't find any sexism accusations on my Twitter account. If someone got it, I'll be guilty as charged.
Maria Antonietta
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Tue 1 Aug - 0:15

The sexism part really is that it's so friggin' lazy to make the Twilight comparison, like 'what's the one major book/movie I can think of that girls like?' And to not "go there" with discussing everything up to the point of romance because it's either 'girly' or it's just hard for them to wrap their brains around a narrative where the male character/interests isn't the central focus. Which not being the central character/focus is something girls and women have to do nearly all the time.

Although in fairness (and to take the p*ss a little more), a lot of these podcast bros don't exactly come across like they've ever watched movies or read books which weren't produced by Lucasfilm or Marvel/DC. So some of it may not be sexism as much as they need to sign up for a library card.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria Antonietta on Tue 1 Aug - 0:18

@snufkin wrote:The sexism part really is that it's so friggin' lazy to make the Twilight comparison, like 'what's the one major book/movie I can think of that girls like?' And to not "go there" with discussing everything up to the point of romance because it's either 'girly' or it's just hard for them to wrap their brains around a narrative where the male character/interests isn't the central focus. Which not being the central character/focus is something girls and women have to do nearly all the time.

Although in fairness (and to take the p*ss a little more), a lot of these podcast bros don't exactly come across like they've ever watched movies or read books which weren't produced by Lucasfilm or Marvel/DC. So some of it may not be sexism as much as they need to sign up for a library card.
@snufkin

*REPLIES WITH A CELEBRATORY GIF* AMEN
Maria Antonietta
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Tue 1 Aug - 0:21

@snufkin wrote:The sexism part really is that it's so friggin' lazy to make the Twilight comparison, like 'what's the one major book/movie I can think of that girls like?' And to not "go there" with discussing everything up to the point of romance because it's either 'girly' or it's just hard for them to wrap their brains around a narrative where the male character/interests isn't the central focus. Which not being the central character/focus is something girls and women have to do nearly all the time.

@snufkin

Exactly this. I wouldn't say the word sexism is appropriate in this case unless you count the Twilight reference. Even that though wasn't used in the context I usually see it, so I'm not sure that word applies in this case either.

I agree though that signing up for a literature class would do them a world of good... Laughing

Yeah.  Keep telling yourself that, buddy...
IoJovi

Back to top Go down

Post by Geralt_Riv on Tue 1 Aug - 0:28

@Moonlight13 wrote:
@IoJovi wrote:
@Helix wrote:
@IoJovi wrote:

Agreed 100% with this.  I guess I found it funny because it served to reinforce every stereotype I have about the typical fanboy, but the podcast could have been A++ had they actually had someone who was knowledgeable on the subject.  That's what kills me though - they WERE knowledgeable and the analysis was spot on until the last five minutes.
@IoJovi

That's the irony; they do so many in-depth, psychological takes on characters, sometimes with legit experts on those topics... but can't see Reylo. It is almost comical, as if their minds just can't truly comprehend it. Like a Lovecraft protag seeing the eldritch truth and promptly going mad.
@Helix

So true!  I listened to the podcast from front to back, and like I said before, their analysis of Rey and Kylo was spot on.  Many of the topics they covered could have come from Scavengers Hoard or SWC.  So that being said, I can tell they have some experience with character development and analysis.  The only real issue I had was at the end withtheir opinion on the likelyhood of romance. It was so clear it was coming from a place of not wanting to lose their fanboy card, and I question if they really believe what they said in that last part.  It was just so ridiculous, it made me laugh.
@IoJovi

It could be that or they simply don't see it because they don't want to see it. Laughing
@Moonlight13

Or maybe even simpler, they just don't see it without some background reason, like fear, behind it.

I've just ended it. It was really funny. Laughing I didn't laugh that much for some time. Laughing And finally, I understand why people ship Kylux. Just because they hate each other. Laughing Ok, now seriously. I'm not into shipping. But I belive I understand why some people ship Reylo, FinnRey or even ReyPoe (even if there is nothing on screen to back it up) and some other ships. Reasons usually are: the story shown in TFA with some experience with similar pairings in other stories + personal feelings about presented characters. For examle, Reylo is seen as BatB type of story with this two lonely characters that should end up together so their loneliness would end + people identify with this characters so they want happy ending for them. But Kylux was always a mystery for me. I don't know anyone who identify with Hux, only his fans. And they aren't interested in Kylux (or maybe they are but they haven't said it to me). Nobody ever explained it to me.
Geralt_Riv
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by MeadowofAshes on Tue 1 Aug - 0:29

I'll give them this much - it made me laugh. That episode was the equivalent of Han Solo getting all excited about rescuing Leia on Hoth and then the Falcon won't take off. And we're all Leia. "Would it help if I got out and pushed?"

Taking the piss a little more...

MeadowofAshes
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria Antonietta on Tue 1 Aug - 0:32

@MeadowofAshes wrote:I'll give them this much - it made me laugh. That episode was the equivalent of Han Solo getting all excited about rescuing Leia on Hoth and then the Falcon won't take off. And we're all Leia. "Would it help if I got out and pushed?"

Taking the piss a little more...

@MeadowofAshes

lol!
Maria Antonietta
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Tue 1 Aug - 1:30

@IoJovi wrote:

@snufkin

Exactly this.  I wouldn't say the word sexism is appropriate in this case unless you count the Twilight reference. Even that though wasn't used in the context I usually see it, so I'm not sure that word applies in this case either.  

I agree though that signing up for a literature class would do them a world of good... :lol:

@IoJovi

It's the sexism of low expectations. A lot of us had never heard of shipping (which basically sounds like Fantasy Sports league, except it's which fictional characters you'd like to see bone each other) or are not fandom people at all. But here we are talking about classic literature and film, which Rian Johnson has talked over and over again the classic/Criterion/foreign language titles that are influences. Not to mention how the entire franchise is a metahomage to David Lean, John Ford, and Akira Kurosawa's films/themes they explored.  Meanwhile "IDK, I guess it could be like Twilight" is taken seriously as a point of discussion coming from the "mainstream" type of Star Wars fan. And that's not even with the typical Reddit et all perjorative of "you ladies are into 50 Shades, lol."

@MeadowofAshes - hahahaha! As much as she's a b*tch to him in that moment (like I might've been tempted to leave somebody on the tarmac when they being snarky while I'm trying to help them escape), it is 2 for 2 because they had the same moment with "this is some rescue."
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Tue 1 Aug - 1:46

@snufkin wrote:
@IoJovi wrote:

@snufkin

Exactly this.  I wouldn't say the word sexism is appropriate in this case unless you count the Twilight reference. Even that though wasn't used in the context I usually see it, so I'm not sure that word applies in this case either.  

I agree though that signing up for a literature class would do them a world of good... Laughing

@IoJovi

It's the sexism of low expectations. A lot of us had never heard of shipping (which basically sounds like Fantasy Sports league, except it's which fictional characters you'd like to see bone each other) or are not fandom people at all. But here we are talking about classic literature and film, which Rian Johnson has talked over and over again the classic/Criterion/foreign language titles that are influences. Not to mention how the entire franchise is a metahomage to David Lean, John Ford, and Akira Kurosawa's films/themes they explored.  Meanwhile "IDK, I guess it could be like Twilight" is taken seriously as a point of discussion coming from the "mainstream" type of Star Wars fan. And that's not even with the typical Reddit et all perjorative of "you ladies are into 50 Shades, lol."

@MeadowofAshes - hahahaha! As much as she's a b*tch to him in that moment (like I might've been tempted to leave somebody on the tarmac when they being snarky while I'm trying to help them escape), it is 2 for 2 because they had the same moment with "this is some rescue."
@snufkin

Totally, totally get that. I had something similar happen the other day that for some reason just got under my skin. Hubby, who has never been a part of any fandom ever, took a picture of the birthday gift my mom got me (the Reylo Barbies from D23) and posted it on his page with the hashtag #nerd. That's fine in itself, he loves ribbing me, but I cringed because I knew what was a coming. A few people in our circle of friends know my thoughts on the ST so they decided to bring that up. Then cue the... wait for it.... "But they're cousins!" comments with a boatload of laughing emojis.

Like this is the wittiest damn thing they could come up with, and they're patting each other on the back for being so damn smart. I ignored it and didn't say anything because I am not ABOUT to debate Rey's parentage on my husband's Facebook page, let alone Reylo.

Anyways, it annoyed me more than it should, but I was irritated nonetheless.

Yeah.  Keep telling yourself that, buddy...
IoJovi

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Tue 1 Aug - 2:16

@IoJovi - I'd be irritated too, like forget what I think on specific topics. If I know that somebody feels a certain way or if somebody else says something about what a person thinks, it's basic damn manners to not use that as an opening for your dumb joke. Especially when it's somebody's birthday present. I guess at least those people will be eating their words in December because it sure doesn't sound like Luke was wandering around the galaxy getting laid and leaving a trail of offspring (unless that's the reason why so many 'spoilers' from Reddit keep claiming so many characters are his offspring).

The podcast stuff, it's this old behavior. I just had to watch a friend getting hassled for something on social media by one of her 'friends' because he took issue with the terminology while missing her larger point. And it finally took another friend to finally get him to STFU and realize that he was being 'that guy' in trying to correct a woman's opinion because it doesn't jibe with his.  Just take a wild guess which gender the other friend he actually listened to is

Why we don’t believe what women say

If you go back to medieval times, women’s stories have been seen as dangerous,” said Gilmore, a visiting professor of women’s and gender studies at Wellesley. “They’re threatening to institutions, including the church, government, other interests. To keep women’s stories from taking root, people in power, generally men, go straight at the credibility of the woman.”
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by MeadowofAshes on Tue 1 Aug - 2:43

@snufkin wrote:@IoJovi - I'd be irritated too, like forget what I think on specific topics. If I know that somebody feels a certain way or if somebody else says something about what a person thinks, it's basic damn manners to not use that as an opening for your dumb joke. Especially when it's somebody's birthday present. I guess at least those people will be eating their words in December because it sure doesn't sound like Luke was wandering around the galaxy getting laid and leaving a trail of offspring (unless that's the reason why so many 'spoilers' from Reddit keep claiming so many characters are his offspring).

The podcast stuff, it's this old behavior. I just had to watch a friend getting hassled for something on social media by one of her 'friends' because he took issue with the terminology while missing her larger point. And it finally took another friend to finally get him to STFU and realize that he was being 'that guy' in trying to correct a woman's opinion because it doesn't jibe with his.  Just take a wild guess which gender the other friend he actually listened to is

Why we don’t believe what women say

If you go back to medieval times, women’s stories have been seen as dangerous,” said Gilmore, a visiting professor of women’s and gender studies at Wellesley. “They’re threatening to institutions, including the church, government, other interests. To keep women’s stories from taking root, people in power, generally men, go straight at the credibility of the woman.”
@snufkin

[size=50]I think we've all had that experience, especially in fandom, at some point.  @IoJovi's facebook story reminded me of an experience years back. I saw a higher up in my chain of command had a Star Wars galactic map as a screensaver and asked to see it. It started out as this really fun and exciting conversation that quickly led to probably my most indignant nerd moment. He started pointing out different planets. He got to Ryloth and explained, "That's where Twi-leks are from." I just looked at him and in a deadpan voice was like, "I know where Twi-leks are from." I could laugh about it almost immediately afterward because to a certain extent maybe it's not a bad thing someone who didn't know me well didn't assume I knew where Twi-leks were from (like the big freaking nerd I am...), but at the same time it was irritating because... why not? I just got a nerd b**** over a Star Wars map. Why would I be that excited and not know about the story's universe? I mean, even if you show interest in the things beyond the "girly" stuff, you're somehow presumed to not know what you're talking about.[/size]
MeadowofAshes
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Tue 1 Aug - 3:49

@MeadowofAshes - aw man, deflating your nerd boner. Not cool! I've had that happen during conversations with guys about numerous topics and even when it's not the "you know a lot about _________" type of comment (where you know the punchline is "...for a girl"), it's like I just wanted to talk about this thing because I'm enthusiastic and wanted to share that enthusiasm with somebody else. Not get instructed or explained to.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by BastilaBey on Tue 1 Aug - 4:36

@Maria Antonietta wrote:The heroine/villain tweet? The villainous crush tweet? The tweet about Luke and vader= twilight sarcasm tweet? The sexism of reylo=twilight? Because it's true but I don't remember tweeting this
@Maria Antonietta

Sorry, I went to sleep! It was this one https://twitter.com/MaryAnto1986/status/890234601997819904

I only realized because at the beginning of his tumblr post, he was very specific about being offended at the idea that he wouldn't want more female fans in SW. Apparently he and his late wife were both big fans of the prequels, and he was talking about how much he loves Rey, and so on. He ended up deleting the post after about half an hour, after realizing that people were laughing at him. He didn't seem aware that the twilight thing is such incredibly old hat for the fandom. He also made some strange references to liking Taylor Swift, as if to say "I can't be sexist because I like the things that you, as women, presumably like!" I felt a little embarrassed for him, honestly.
BastilaBey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria Antonietta on Tue 1 Aug - 5:05

@BastilaBey wrote:
@Maria Antonietta wrote:The heroine/villain tweet? The villainous crush tweet? The tweet about Luke and vader= twilight sarcasm tweet? The sexism of reylo=twilight? Because it's true but I don't remember tweeting this
@Maria Antonietta

Sorry, I went to sleep! It was this one https://twitter.com/MaryAnto1986/status/890234601997819904

I only realized because at the beginning of his tumblr post, he was very specific about being offended at the idea that he wouldn't want more female fans in SW. Apparently he and his late wife were both big fans of the prequels, and he was talking about how much he loves Rey, and so on. He ended up deleting the post after about half an hour, after realizing that people were laughing at him. He didn't seem aware that the twilight thing is such incredibly old hat for the fandom. He also made some strange references to liking Taylor Swift, as if to say "I can't be sexist because I like the things that you, as women, presumably like!" I felt a little embarrassed for him, honestly.
@BastilaBey

1) my tweet isn't offensive
2) why the F*CK did he screenshot it?
Maria Antonietta
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyla Ren on Sun 6 Aug - 10:16

A Reylo friend of mine just told me that there's a new Rebel Scum podcast and they talk about Reylo.  I haven't had a chance to listen to the whole thing yet, but if anyone is interested, the Reylo part seems to start around the 10:50 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae3MHiEYd8k
Kyla Ren
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by MeadowofAshes on Sun 6 Aug - 11:23

This podcast is painful to watch. "Han actually kills himself" type theories and "I think Reylo just got started with shippers" being discussed. No substance. Good grief, why is this type of podcast so popular? Do dudes just like to hear other dudes talk?

Anyway, the Reylo fan theory they read is Rey hangs on the cliff. Luke and Kylo stop fighting when they sense Leia's death. Skip to end of film. Leia's funeral is similar to Padme's. Kylo tells Rey he's going to kill Snoke. They hug.

Sleep
MeadowofAshes
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria Antonietta on Sun 6 Aug - 13:33

@MeadowofAshes wrote:This podcast is painful to watch. "Han actually kills himself" type theories and "I think Reylo just got started with shippers" being discussed. No substance. Good grief, why is this type of podcast so popular? Do dudes just like to hear other dudes talk?

Anyway, the Reylo fan theory they read is Rey hangs on the cliff. Luke and Kylo stop fighting when they sense Leia's death. Skip to end of film. Leia's funeral is similar to Padme's. Kylo tells Rey he's going to kill Snoke. They hug.

Sleep
@MeadowofAshes

You sacrificed yourself, thanks for the synopsis. I won't watch it
Maria Antonietta
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowgirlsamurai on Sun 6 Aug - 14:06

@Maria Antonietta wrote:
@MeadowofAshes wrote:This podcast is painful to watch. "Han actually kills himself" type theories and "I think Reylo just got started with shippers" being discussed. No substance. Good grief, why is this type of podcast so popular? Do dudes just like to hear other dudes talk?

Sleep
@MeadowofAshes

You sacrificed yourself, thanks for the synopsis. I won't watch it
@Maria Antonietta

My sentiments exactly. sunny
Cowgirlsamurai
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by kroi on Sun 13 Aug - 2:39

kroi
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Helix on Sun 13 Aug - 6:42

> Chewbacca eating Porgs.

Helix
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened on Sun 13 Aug - 8:58

Listened a bit of it (until around 40:00)

An early rumor of Chewie and Porg BBQ. Bad Chewie! Meltdown worthy. lol!
Jason "ranting" about The Chosen One" stuff. (He probably missed Pablo's debunk tweet)
On Kylo: redeemable or not. Nothing that Jason hasn't said already. A brief visit to Reylo on the topic of redemption: "Kylo just needs to get laid - so Rey could really bring balance to the Force" (It's around 30:00).

Darth_Awakened
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria Antonietta on Sun 13 Aug - 11:09

@Darth_Awakened wrote:Listened a bit of it (until around 40:00)

Jason "ranting" about The Chosen One" stuff. (He probably missed Pablo's debunk tweet)
On Kylo: redeemable or not. Nothing that Jason hasn't said already. A brief visit to Reylo on the topic of redemption: "Kylo just needs to get laid - so Rey could really bring balance to the Force" (It's around 30:00).

@Darth_Awakened

Why fanboys are always angry? =_=
Maria Antonietta
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackcanary on Sun 13 Aug - 11:37

@Darth_Awakened wrote:Listened a bit of it (until around 40:00)

@Darth_Awakened

I'm a bit torn on the chosen one stuff too, so I understand where they're coming from.

At one point, Jason says he thinks the interrogation-style chair from that Snoke playset is where Kylo wakes up in TLJ.

LMAO, they're talking about the genitals on the sea monsters. 'Camel toe balls'. Laughing

Blackcanary
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Helix on Sun 13 Aug - 11:49

It's what we were all thinking. Razz Those sea monsters are just letting it all hang out.
Helix
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Page 27 of 30 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum