The Reproductive Imperative

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Reproductive Imperative

Post by Kylo Men on Thu 18 May 2017 - 12:29

I've enjoyed reading all the metas, the fairy tale discussions and the Kremlinology about musical cues. But in the end, the strongest reason to suspect the possibility of Reylo-reality remains The Reproductive Imperative - if the legacy films will always be about the Skywalker family, then someone in this trilogy must give birth to a Skywalker for the next trilogy. That makes Rey the almost certain mother. T

So that leaves two real options: Reywalker or Reylo. And if you don't believe in the former. Then you're left with one option. Everything else falls into the 1 percent of left-field options - that Rey sacrifices herself or goes dark and is killed, and Kylo finds a nice Christian intergalactic Twin Peaks waitress and lives a life of luxury as the exiled King of Alderaan. Or something like that.  

Sure, she could be a Solo. But  .... no. She wouldn't be flying around with her father for a whole movie without the writers doing something with it.

I also think the point in the SW Connection Reylo video is right ... if Rey and Kylo are relatives, they would do everything that they could to avoid the Luke/Leia kissing siblings comparisons.  They wouldn't do anything to suggest even a one-sided attraction. And clearly that's not the case.

I mean, even if they didn't mean to create a coded orgasm during the interrogation scene, even if they had gotten to the screening room and realized, "Jeepers, what have we done?!" .... they could have (and would have) gone back and reshot it.

Anyway, this is partly a long and winding way of saying to keep this in mind when evaluating rumors.

Kylo Men
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Re: The Reproductive Imperative

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Thu 18 May 2017 - 14:59

I know that a lot of us feel this same way. We might be left with an ambiguous or even bittersweet ending at the end of IX, but I can't see Disney completely shutting the door on future Skywalker stories after all of the money that they sank into this purchase.
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 18 May 2017 - 15:59

At the very least, Kylo will have to be alive at the end of Ep IX and in a fit condition to reproduce at a later date. I suppose a surprise Skywalker could pop up at some point (not Rey) but they would have to lay some groundwork for it so it didn't come out of the blue. Reylo doesn't have to happen in this trilogy unless they plan to kill Kylo off. Again, unless they produce a child from somewhere that Kylo has already fathered, he would need to get someone (presumably Rey) pregnant before his demise.

Back to top Go down

Post by panki on Thu 18 May 2017 - 16:19

Not a big fan of rey and kylo falling in love because someone needs to have skywalker children....with SW technology, any random female or mechanical/cloning device could perform the same duty and even speed up their growing process.

If reylo happens, it needs to be an epic love story..

As for how this trilogy goes, I can think of several crazy possibilities for Rey and Kylo (good and bad):

- Rey and Kylo develop feelings for one another by the end of episode 8...there is a gap of a few years between ep.8 and 9...and they marry at the end of ep9 or go into exile. (If they made Han and Leia marry to have a child, I don't see them moving away from that idea)

- Rey and Kylo like one another but things dont work out- one of them re-builds the jedi order while the other goes off into the Unknown Regions, seeking out the source of the dark side. (this is interchangeable, especially if Kylo wants to re-build the order to atone for his past or Rey's parents are from the Unknown Regions)

- Kylo sacrifices himself like Vader to save Rey if they want to stop the Skywalker story at ep9. (I hate this one personally)

- Kylo had a LI already (maybe she is a prisone of the FO or Snoke got her killed in the jedi massacre) and he already has a child, which could be what keeps him with the FO. Rey helps free his family, Luke adopts Rey and everyone lives happily ever after.

- Rey and/or Kylo train both force sensitives and force users, to bring enlightenment to the galaxy but decide to not have a romance. Episode 10 could be an older Rey/Kylo training a new generation of force users. (this is in case they want to move away from the Skywalkers or even promote a new force strong lineage)

- Kylo is put in astasis pod (maybe when punished by the republic for his war crimes), wakes up many years later and meets Rey's descendant and marries her.

- We learn Shmi's ancestry through Snoke and find out there is a whole lot of Skywalkers out there somewhere.

We are the spark, that’ll light the fire, that’ll burn the First Order down.
panki

http://starwarstheorist.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Thu 18 May 2017 - 16:43

@panki I'm on of those who identifies with the original post 100%>.  It's not so much that I just want Rey to be a vessel for that precious Skywalker dna.  Its the fact that this IS the Skywalker saga, and it's only further evidence that Rey and Kylo WILL INDEED have that epic romance we are all craving to see.  

I don't blame Reywalkers for wanting Rey to be Luke's child, given that we know Star Wars has and always will revolve around the Skywalker family.  What they fail to realize though is there's more than one way for her to enter the family and it doesn't need to be by blood.  

Let me be clear I don't see them getting married in this trilogy, much less engaging in an act that could produce a child. I do absolutely see their romance unfolding though much in the same way Han and Leia's did, although multiple the angst and slow burn x 100.

Count me in too as one of those who would love to see the story revolve around Rey and Kylo's kids in future trilogies.

IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Thu 18 May 2017 - 17:05

@IoJovi wrote:@panki I'm on of those who identifies with the original post 100%>.  It's not so much that I just want Rey to be a vessel for that precious Skywalker dna.  Its the fact that this IS the Skywalker saga, and it's only further evidence that Rey and Kylo WILL INDEED have that epic romance we are all craving to see.  

I don't blame Reywalkers for wanting Rey to be Luke's child, given that we know Star Wars has and always will revolve around the Skywalker family.  What they fail to realize though is there's more than one way for her to enter the family and it doesn't need to be by blood.  

Let me be clear I don't see them getting married in this trilogy, much less engaging in an act that could produce a child. I do absolutely see their romance unfolding though much in the same way Han and Leia's did, although multiple the angst and slow burn x 100.

Count me in too as one of those who would love to see the story revolve around Rey and Kylo's kids in future trilogies.

@IoJovi

cheers cheers cheers Exactly. EXACTLY!

It would be such a huge waste of potential storyline if they don't go the romantic Reylo route. But if they do...I truly think that Reylo has the potential to be one of the most epic, iconic movie romances, ever. And no, I don't need kids or a marriage by the end of IX...but sometime down the line, when they've both had a chance to find themselves and live their lives on their terms? Absolutely.
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Tex on Thu 18 May 2017 - 17:10

I feel like we're going in circles here. Razz We talk ourselves up with all this amazing analysis and evidence, but at the end of the day there is just that little shred of doubt that keeps nagging at all of us. Unfortunately, it will continue to fester in the back of our minds until we get infallible proof. I want to be optimistic, but there are so many ways this could go down. I mean Rey could just adopt the name Skywalker at the end of the trilogy for all we know.

I personally prescribe to the idea that Kylo will have to father a child to continue the Skywalker lineage. It makes the most logical sense to have him paired with Rey. So I agree with Kylo Men’s original post and with what IoJovi and ISeeAnIsland added. It could be an iconic love story. There is so much potential. It would be an utter waste not to explore that route.  

Impossible to see the future is.
Tex
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Helix on Thu 18 May 2017 - 17:17

Going back to what @IoJovi said days about, we could already have a better idea of where things were going if it wasn't for that release date push... Hopefully TLJ will help clear things rather than muddy them more. At least in some regards.

Helix
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Thu 18 May 2017 - 17:21

The title alone made me LOL because I can just imagine the Disney and Lucasfilm executive team having some meeting with this at the top of their agenda items for the future of the franchise.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by AceofWands on Thu 18 May 2017 - 17:32

@Tex wrote:I feel like we're going in circles here. Razz We talk ourselves up with all this amazing analysis and evidence, but at the end of the day there is just that little shred of doubt that keeps nagging at all of us. Unfortunately, it will continue to fester in the back of our minds until we get infallible proof. I want to be optimistic, but there are so many ways this could go down. I mean Rey could just adopt the name Skywalker at the end of the trilogy for all we know.

I personally prescribe to the idea that Kylo will have to father a child to continue the Skywalker lineage. It makes the most logical sense to have him paired with Rey. So I agree with Kylo Men’s original post and with what IoJovi and ISeeAnIsland added. It could be an iconic love story. There is so much potential. It would be an utter waste not to explore that route.  

@Tex

I don't have any doubt that Rey and Kylo is the big romance of this trilogy.

Some people on Tumblr and other places fear that Disney could back off due to the backlash, but the reality is that the backlash is from a tiny minority that's bound to complain regardless. GA have nothing against Reylo. It's the way to make the trilogy memorable. The OT was mostly memorable because of the complex father-son dynamic, and the redemption. Without Rey and Kylo having a romance, the ST will be remembered for what?

So really, there shouldn't be the least shred of a doubt that Rey and Kylo as romantic is the big relationship in this trilogy.

And I agree with the reproduction imperative. Wow, I love the term!

AceofWands
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Thu 18 May 2017 - 17:38

@AceofWands wrote:
@Tex wrote:I feel like we're going in circles here. Razz We talk ourselves up with all this amazing analysis and evidence, but at the end of the day there is just that little shred of doubt that keeps nagging at all of us. Unfortunately, it will continue to fester in the back of our minds until we get infallible proof. I want to be optimistic, but there are so many ways this could go down. I mean Rey could just adopt the name Skywalker at the end of the trilogy for all we know.

@Tex

Some people on Tumblr and other places fear that Disney could back off due to the backlash, but the reality is that the backlash is from a tiny minority that's bound to complain regardless. GA have nothing against Reylo. It's the way to make the trilogy memorable. The OT was mostly memorable because of the complex father-son dynamic, and the redemption. Without Rey and Kylo having a romance, the ST will be remembered for what?

So really, there shouldn't be the least shred of a doubt that Rey and Kylo as romantic is the big relationship in this trilogy.

@AceofWands

Same. The very miniscule doubt I had about Reylo went out the door when Reygate happened. It told me everything I needed to know. If Rey's not blood related, the UST I saw between them in TFA was not imagined and it's definitely headed somewhere...
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Tex on Thu 18 May 2017 - 17:40

@AceofWands wrote:

@Tex

@AceofWands

I'm glad you are 100% on romantic Reylo happening. Very Happy  Honestly it's your unwavering attitude that keeps people like me going. Cause I'm always talking myself into circles about it. I go back and forth depending on the day. I'm not so much worried that Disney would pay attention to a vocal minority. Just how they will go about handling the characters. Will they go all the way? Or will they leave us wanting more? Will it continue to be ambiguous?
Tex
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Thu 18 May 2017 - 17:44

@Tex wrote:
@AceofWands wrote:

@Tex

@AceofWands

I'm glad you are 100% on romantic Reylo happening. Very Happy  Honestly it's your unwavering attitude that keeps people like me going. Cause I'm always talking myself into circles about it. I go back and forth depending on the day. I'm not so much worried that Disney would pay attention to a vocal minority. Just how they will go about handling the characters. Will they go all the way? Or will they leave us wanting more? Will it continue to be ambiguous?
@Tex

This is an epic saga which of course will have an equally epic romance. Epic romances are never, ever ambiguous... Wink
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by AceofWands on Thu 18 May 2017 - 17:52

@IoJovi, @Tex, well, if we want to have little Skywalkers, they will certainly have to go all the way.

And I agree with IoJovi that in an epic love story with a fairy tale inspiration ( a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away), the new generation has to come from a great love story.

And let's bring the prequels to argue against that, cause Lucas thought it was a great love story. Laughing

That's even the reason why the main legacy character has to be Han and Leia's, cause they were the ones with the love story.

AceofWands
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Thu 18 May 2017 - 17:54

Thing is the kid's half Solo and we know how his old man started reacting once he met a young woman who didn't take any s**t from him, despite trying to be all swaggering and macho.

It's Disney and they own ABC so who knows, maybe @nemapasara's Bachelerette scenario may be a future installment? Will Kylo be the bad boy contestant who sneers things to the camera like "I didn't come here to make friends!"
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowgirlsamurai on Thu 18 May 2017 - 18:29

What I want to know is, is the Skywalker NAME important? Because if it's Ben's kids won't they be Solos? And even if Rey is Luke's daughter and she has kids with someone else, won't the kids have the dad's last name? Either way, next generation won't be Skywalkers, per se.
Cowgirlsamurai
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Thu 18 May 2017 - 18:50

@Cowgirlsamurai wrote:What I want to know is, is the Skywalker NAME important? Because if it's Ben's kids won't they be Solos? And even if Rey is Luke's daughter and she has kids with someone else, won't the kids have the dad's last name? Either way, next generation won't be Skywalkers, per se.
@Cowgirlsamurai

Both Pablo Hidalgo and Matt Martin have stated that Kylo Ren fulfills the requirement for a legacy Skywalker child in this trilogy.

So there's your answer. Smile
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Saracene on Thu 18 May 2017 - 19:22

@Cowgirlsamurai wrote:What I want to know is, is the Skywalker NAME important? Because if it's Ben's kids won't they be Solos? And even if Rey is Luke's daughter and she has kids with someone else, won't the kids have the dad's last name? Either way, next generation won't be Skywalkers, per se.
@Cowgirlsamurai

I’ve wondered about that as well. We often refer to Kylo as “the last Skywalker”, but in the context of this trilogy that’s not exactly true because Luke Skywalker is still around. So while Kylo is the last in the family line age-wise, he’s not really the last Skywalker yet.

But once Luke dies, yes there’s not going to be anyone bearing the Skywalker family name anymore. Is this going to be important and do TPTB intend this trilogy to be the final word on the Skywalker saga? Not 100% sure, but purely financial considerations would say no, even if the next generation no longer has the name.
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://yggdrasille.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin on Thu 18 May 2017 - 19:28

@IoJovi wrote:
@Cowgirlsamurai

Both Pablo Hidalgo and Matt Martin have stated that Kylo Ren fulfills the requirement for a legacy Skywalker child in this trilogy.

So there's your answer.  Smile
@IoJovi

Exactly! Taking a page from soap operas all the way from General Hospital to Downton Abbey, people don't care about last names IMO (except for a couple of not-so-brilliant fanboys here and there).  They care about connection.  It doesn't matter if a particular line hasn't carried the family name for 3 generations.  You're part of that family.  In fact, to bring real life into it, I have a very big extended family through my Mom's line.  My Mom literally had like 60 nieces and nephews, but *no one* has carried the name because there were a lot of daughters.  Yet we all refer to ourselves as being part of that family by name.  I don't think we're unusual in that.  It's kind of a primal thing I think that is probably hard-wired into us when tribes and clans were still a thing.  I also think by this point that the name Solo is just as important as Skywalker.
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowgirlsamurai on Thu 18 May 2017 - 20:03

@SoloSideCousin wrote:
@IoJovi wrote:
@Cowgirlsamurai

@IoJovi

Exactly! Taking a page from soap operas all the way from General Hospital to Downton Abbey, people don't care about last names IMO (except for a couple of not-so-brilliant fanboys here and there).  They care about connection.  It doesn't matter if a particular line hasn't carried the family name for 3 generations.  You're part of that family.  In fact, to bring real life into it, I have a very big extended family through my Mom's line.  My Mom literally had like 60 nieces and nephews, but *no one* has carried the name because there were a lot of daughters.  Yet we all refer to ourselves as being part of that family by name.  I don't think we're unusual in that.  It's kind of a primal thing I think that is probably hard-wired into us when tribes and clans were still a thing.  I also think by this point that the name Solo is just as important as Skywalker.
@SoloSideCousin

Yeah, I know that Kylo is "the Skywalker," in TFA as Pablo admitted, but what I'm referring to is branding. Especially with the way that Disney and Lucasfilm keep referring to the legacy films as the "Skywalker Saga." I wonder if they'll continue to refer to it in ten years when the next trilogy is produced.
Like I would be really surprised if they let that name die, so to speak.
Cowgirlsamurai
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin on Thu 18 May 2017 - 20:31

@Cowgirlsamurai wrote:
@SoloSideCousin wrote:
@IoJovi wrote:
@Cowgirlsamurai

@IoJovi

@SoloSideCousin

Yeah, I know that Kylo is "the Skywalker," in TFA as Pablo admitted, but what I'm referring to is branding. Especially with the way that Disney and Lucasfilm keep referring to the legacy films as the "Skywalker Saga." I wonder if they'll continue to refer to it in ten years when the next trilogy is produced.
Like I would be really surprised if they let that name die, so to speak.
@Cowgirlsamurai

Yeah, I don't think that they will let the name die at all.  Going back to things like Downton Abbey or General Hospital or One Life to Live, people are still Crawleys or Lords or Quartermaines or Spencers or Scorpios even if hardly anybody has the name anymore and the patriarch or matriarch is not even on the canvas anymore.  Leia has never been named Skywalker, and the name Darth Vader certainly holds at least as equal weight as Anakin Skywalker, and Han is not a Skywalker technically, but all of these people are so embedded with the "saga" of the Skywalker family that I think most people throw them all in together as part of the Skywalkers.  In fact, only Shmi and Luke have ever carried the name in any kind of permanent way. OTOH, Padme, Han, Leia, Kylo are most definitely part of the Skywalker family though they never had the name.  The name Skywalker is extremely well-known.  Businesswise I don't see the benefit of giving up that kind of "shorthand" branding when everybody knows who the Skywalkers are or will be whether they are named that or not.
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowgirlsamurai on Thu 18 May 2017 - 20:43

@SoloSideCousin

I think they'll always find some way to remind the audience that the new generation are relatives of Anakin and Luke Skywalker. It'll just be interesting to see how. By the way, I'm not against losing the Skywalker name. I'm rooting for Rey Jr. Solo just like the rest of this ship. It's an interesting conversation, though, because you know Kasdan and Abrams debated about it Wink
Cowgirlsamurai
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Thu 18 May 2017 - 20:48

@Cowgirlsamurai wrote:@SoloSideCousin

I think they'll always find some way to remind the audience that the new generation are relatives of Anakin and Luke Skywalker. It'll just be interesting to see how. By the way, I'm not against losing the Skywalker name. I'm rooting for Rey Jr. Solo just like the rest of this ship. It's an interesting conversation, though, because you know Kasdan and Abrams debated about it Wink
@Cowgirlsamurai

What I wouldn't give to be a fly on the wall for that conversation!

Anyway, I wouldn't be shocked if Ben Solo takes on the name of Skywalker post-redemption. Maybe he's never carried it until that point, but I can see him doing it as an honor to Anakin as opposed to Vader. It'd be a simple way to keep the name without a lot of exposition.
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 on Fri 19 May 2017 - 2:00

I still think while Ben Solo is the Skywalker of ST we don't have enough information on Luke yet, we don't know if he was ever married or had a child or children, and I won't jump to conclusions as Star Wars is a space opera the reproductive initiative is an imperative to maintain profits. Just look at Hot Luke!   cheers

However, we are definitely going to leave the ST with Ben Solo and Rey continuing a line of Solo/Skywalkers and it will be these children that the audience are the most interested in to see what happens next.

spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Fri 19 May 2017 - 9:51

@AceofWands wrote:

@Tex

@AceofWands

Exactly, re: making the trilogy memorable.

I'm reading The War of Art by Steven Pressfield. The premise is that if there's something big and important you should be doing, you're likely to feel resistance to doing it. You have an inner resistance to grabbing the bull by its horns and dealing with something so significant. The bigger the project, the more important the goal, the greater the resistance.

I think something related is going on here. People are very keen to resort to the safest possible options in their hopes and predictions. Rey finds out she's Luke's daughter, she trains for a bit (Dagobah 2.0), then goes back to Finn & Co. to have some fun adventures, and kicks Kylo's a** in a climactic duel. Then the same thing happens all over again in IX. Anything bigger and bolder meets with strong resistance. And it isn't just Reylo that meets with resistance; it's anything with an actual story attached to it. Because story requires conflict and conflict requires discomfort and risk.

The backlash is actually a good indicator of what's worth doing, IMO.
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum