The Reproductive Imperative

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Reproductive Imperative

Post by adamdrivershair on Wed 2 Aug - 19:02

@panki That actually sounds pretty cool Smile If something does happen with Kylo and Rey, I just would really want to know what happens next in some fashion - their child(ren) doesn't have to be the main player.
avatar
adamdrivershair
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Messages : 123
Likes : 633
Date d'inscription : 2017-05-28

Back to top Go down

Re: The Reproductive Imperative

Post by Cowgirlsamurai on Wed 2 Aug - 19:06

IoJovi wrote:
adamdrivershair wrote:How confident are you guys that there will indeed be Skywalker-focused stories after 9? @ISeeAnIsland I agree that it doesn't make sense for Lucasfilm to close things off at the end of the ST, given how much money they've invested. But Plotgate proved to me that TPTB aren't beyond making surprising choices in the name of artistic integrity.

Maybe they agree with the numerous fanboys who all want the Skywalker saga to wrap up with 9, for storytelling's sake. Maybe KK isn't obscuring the truth when she says that they need to figure out whether there is actually a story worth telling beyond 9 - that it's not a foregone conclusion that there would be more Skywalker stories just because of the money they could make.
@adamdrivershair

Yeah that quote from KK certainly doesn't give me the warm fuzzies that future Skywalkers are guarenteed, but what I wouldn't give for a trilogy that revolves around Rey and Ben's kids, boy(s) or girl(s).  It's also said twins tend skip a generations, so in this case, twins would be likely for them.  Oh boy, I'm giving myself the feels right now...  I need this in my life!!!  Laughing
@IoJovi

Since this is a "reproductive" thread, lol:

There are a lot of common misconceptions about twins in families, but they don't skip a generation or "run" on dad's side of the family. I know because my husband was (bro died days after birth) a twin, and I asked both the gyno and pedi about this topic. They said that twins, even multiple sets, on dad's side wouldn't increase his or his descendants' chances of having them.  
If mom's family has multiple sets of fraternal twins it might be because the females in that family tend to release more than one egg during ovulation. (Looking at you, Padme Wink) That's the only genetic link to twins in families.

I think that LF will do whatever is most interesting for the story, though, and multiple "Solo" kids would be more interesting than one, IMO Smile Twins can and do occur randomly.
avatar
Cowgirlsamurai
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Messages : 853
Likes : 3876
Date d'inscription : 2017-03-30
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

Re: The Reproductive Imperative

Post by snufkin on Wed 2 Aug - 19:29

I don't think he's going to get killed off, that would be just too depressing considering everything they've had Leia, who's had to lose nearly anything and everything dear to her, said about wanting him back. Or turning the "Han risks everything and tries to save his son" into "LOL sorry dude, your son sucks and we're going to kill him off for revenge." Of course fans may be saying they're okay with that because so far he's not meeting their needs of what a perfect legacy offspring is 'supposed' to be like. Which you'd suspect was the point of JJ and Kasdan making him the bad guy, screwing with expectations and telling the story of what happens even in 'good' families.

As for the pitter patter of little Reylo feet, that'd likely happen long after the end of IX and reserved for future book/movie content. But it's likely part of the reason why people have doubled down on Reywalker/Luke is everybody's dad/Luke will adopt Rey theories is the idea that she has to be the "good" offspring to continue the line.


Last edited by snufkin on Wed 2 Aug - 19:32; edited 1 time in total
avatar
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 5884
Likes : 25044
Date d'inscription : 2016-04-17
Localisation : it's in the chorus of Pavement's "Unfair"

Back to top Go down

Re: The Reproductive Imperative

Post by IoJovi on Wed 2 Aug - 19:30

Cowgirlsamurai wrote:
IoJovi wrote:
adamdrivershair wrote:How confident are you guys that there will indeed be Skywalker-focused stories after 9? @ISeeAnIsland I agree that it doesn't make sense for Lucasfilm to close things off at the end of the ST, given how much money they've invested. But Plotgate proved to me that TPTB aren't beyond making surprising choices in the name of artistic integrity.

Maybe they agree with the numerous fanboys who all want the Skywalker saga to wrap up with 9, for storytelling's sake. Maybe KK isn't obscuring the truth when she says that they need to figure out whether there is actually a story worth telling beyond 9 - that it's not a foregone conclusion that there would be more Skywalker stories just because of the money they could make.
@adamdrivershair

Yeah that quote from KK certainly doesn't give me the warm fuzzies that future Skywalkers are guarenteed, but what I wouldn't give for a trilogy that revolves around Rey and Ben's kids, boy(s) or girl(s).  It's also said twins tend skip a generations, so in this case, twins would be likely for them.  Oh boy, I'm giving myself the feels right now...  I need this in my life!!!  Laughing
@IoJovi

Since this is a "reproductive" thread, lol:

There are a lot of common misconceptions about twins in families, but they don't skip a generation or "run" on dad's side of the family. I know because my husband was (bro died days after birth) a twin, and I asked both the gyno and pedi about this topic. They said that twins, even multiple sets, on dad's side wouldn't increase his or his descendants' chances of having them.  
If mom's family has multiple sets of fraternal twins it might be because the females in that family tend to release more than one egg during ovulation. (Looking at you, Padme Wink) That's the only genetic link to twins in families.

I think that LF will do whatever is most interesting for the story, though, and multiple "Solo" kids would be more interesting than one, IMO Smile Twins can and do occur randomly.
@Cowgirlsamurai

Excellent, thanks for educating me on that one!  I had no idea and figured twins were hereditary on all fronts.  Smile  

As far as the GA goes though,  it's something that's even addressed in the EU with Jacen and Jaina,  Without a need to go into the specifics you mentioned, it would make sense to the audience as a reminder that Kylo Ren carries Anakin  Skywalker's DNA, along giving us two characters instead of one to focus on.

@Panki I also like what you said about these one (or two!) children not needing to be main characters, and that would actually be a nice touch if they weren't.

@snufkin I'm glad you mentioned that because that is where I can find common ground with the Reywalker faction.  I get excited for the same reason they do when KK makes statements that this is saga films will always revolve around the Skywalkers.  I too would love to see those future generations for years to come.

_________________
"Kylo and Rey are two halves of the dark and the light.” - Rian Johnson
avatar
IoJovi
Moderator

Messages : 6200
Likes : 33569
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26
Age : 101
Localisation : Atlanta, GA

Back to top Go down

Re: The Reproductive Imperative

Post by Mrs Ben Solo on Wed 2 Aug - 19:34

Cowgirlsamurai wrote:
IoJovi wrote:
adamdrivershair wrote:How confident are you guys that there will indeed be Skywalker-focused stories after 9? @ISeeAnIsland I agree that it doesn't make sense for Lucasfilm to close things off at the end of the ST, given how much money they've invested. But Plotgate proved to me that TPTB aren't beyond making surprising choices in the name of artistic integrity.

Maybe they agree with the numerous fanboys who all want the Skywalker saga to wrap up with 9, for storytelling's sake. Maybe KK isn't obscuring the truth when she says that they need to figure out whether there is actually a story worth telling beyond 9 - that it's not a foregone conclusion that there would be more Skywalker stories just because of the money they could make.
@adamdrivershair

Yeah that quote from KK certainly doesn't give me the warm fuzzies that future Skywalkers are guarenteed, but what I wouldn't give for a trilogy that revolves around Rey and Ben's kids, boy(s) or girl(s).  It's also said twins tend skip a generations, so in this case, twins would be likely for them.  Oh boy, I'm giving myself the feels right now...  I need this in my life!!!  Laughing
@IoJovi

Since this is a "reproductive" thread, lol:

There are a lot of common misconceptions about twins in families, but they don't skip a generation or "run" on dad's side of the family. I know because my husband was (bro died days after birth) a twin, and I asked both the gyno and pedi about this topic. They said that twins, even multiple sets, on dad's side wouldn't increase his or his descendants' chances of having them.  
If mom's family has multiple sets of fraternal twins it might be because the females in that family tend to release more than one egg during ovulation. (Looking at you, Padme Wink) That's the only genetic link to twins in families.

I think that LF will do whatever is most interesting for the story, though, and multiple "Solo" kids would be more interesting than one, IMO Smile Twins can and do occur randomly.
@Cowgirlsamurai

There are lots of twins in my family on both sides. My great-grandma on my mother's side had three sets of twins. On my grandfather's side there were a couple of boy/girl twins in the family. My other half's father was an identical twin. His sister, my sister-in-law has non-identical twin boys. And finally, I have identical twin boys!

I always like to imagine Reylo having a girl and then a set of boy/girl twins or maybe identical girl twins and then a boy. Basically, I'd like them to have a daughter first. I think it would give Kylo/Ben more confidence as a father if he had a doting daughter who was the apple of her daddy's eye. I'm thinking Rey would be happy with either but she might feel more at ease with a daughter, given the history of the Skywalker family!
avatar
Mrs Ben Solo
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 2160
Likes : 14038
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-27

Back to top Go down

Re: The Reproductive Imperative

Post by IoJovi on Wed 2 Aug - 19:38

Mrs Ben Solo wrote:
Cowgirlsamurai wrote:
IoJovi wrote:
adamdrivershair wrote:How confident are you guys that there will indeed be Skywalker-focused stories after 9? @ISeeAnIsland I agree that it doesn't make sense for Lucasfilm to close things off at the end of the ST, given how much money they've invested. But Plotgate proved to me that TPTB aren't beyond making surprising choices in the name of artistic integrity.

Maybe they agree with the numerous fanboys who all want the Skywalker saga to wrap up with 9, for storytelling's sake. Maybe KK isn't obscuring the truth when she says that they need to figure out whether there is actually a story worth telling beyond 9 - that it's not a foregone conclusion that there would be more Skywalker stories just because of the money they could make.
@adamdrivershair

Yeah that quote from KK certainly doesn't give me the warm fuzzies that future Skywalkers are guarenteed, but what I wouldn't give for a trilogy that revolves around Rey and Ben's kids, boy(s) or girl(s).  It's also said twins tend skip a generations, so in this case, twins would be likely for them.  Oh boy, I'm giving myself the feels right now...  I need this in my life!!!  Laughing
@IoJovi

Since this is a "reproductive" thread, lol:

There are a lot of common misconceptions about twins in families, but they don't skip a generation or "run" on dad's side of the family. I know because my husband was (bro died days after birth) a twin, and I asked both the gyno and pedi about this topic. They said that twins, even multiple sets, on dad's side wouldn't increase his or his descendants' chances of having them.  
If mom's family has multiple sets of fraternal twins it might be because the females in that family tend to release more than one egg during ovulation. (Looking at you, Padme Wink) That's the only genetic link to twins in families.

I think that LF will do whatever is most interesting for the story, though, and multiple "Solo" kids would be more interesting than one, IMO Smile Twins can and do occur randomly.
@Cowgirlsamurai

There are lots of twins in my family on both sides. My great-grandma on my mother's side had three sets of twins. On my grandfather's side there were a couple of boy/girl twins in the family. My other half's father was an identical twin. His sister, my sister-in-law has non-identical twin boys. And finally, I have identical twin boys!

I always like to imagine Reylo having a girl and then a set of boy/girl twins or maybe identical girl twins and then a boy. Basically, I'd like them to have a daughter first. I think it would give Kylo/Ben more confidence as a father if he had a doting daughter who was the apple of her daddy's eye. I'm thinking Rey would be happy with either but she might feel more at ease with a daughter, given the history of the Skywalker family!
@Mrs Ben Solo

I agree with this. We also have yet for a saga film to focus solely on a Skywalker female as the protagonist (Reywalkers will eat me alive for that statement!), so there is that aspect too. Yes, we do have Leia, but she wasn't even revealed as a blood relative until the third film, so she wasn't a main protagonist in that regard.

_________________
"Kylo and Rey are two halves of the dark and the light.” - Rian Johnson
avatar
IoJovi
Moderator

Messages : 6200
Likes : 33569
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26
Age : 101
Localisation : Atlanta, GA

Back to top Go down

Re: The Reproductive Imperative

Post by CienaRee on Wed 2 Aug - 20:00

IoJovi wrote:
Mrs Ben Solo wrote:
Cowgirlsamurai wrote:
IoJovi wrote:
adamdrivershair wrote:How confident are you guys that there will indeed be Skywalker-focused stories after 9? @ISeeAnIsland I agree that it doesn't make sense for Lucasfilm to close things off at the end of the ST, given how much money they've invested. But Plotgate proved to me that TPTB aren't beyond making surprising choices in the name of artistic integrity.

Maybe they agree with the numerous fanboys who all want the Skywalker saga to wrap up with 9, for storytelling's sake. Maybe KK isn't obscuring the truth when she says that they need to figure out whether there is actually a story worth telling beyond 9 - that it's not a foregone conclusion that there would be more Skywalker stories just because of the money they could make.
@adamdrivershair

Yeah that quote from KK certainly doesn't give me the warm fuzzies that future Skywalkers are guarenteed, but what I wouldn't give for a trilogy that revolves around Rey and Ben's kids, boy(s) or girl(s).  It's also said twins tend skip a generations, so in this case, twins would be likely for them.  Oh boy, I'm giving myself the feels right now...  I need this in my life!!!  Laughing
@IoJovi

Since this is a "reproductive" thread, lol:

There are a lot of common misconceptions about twins in families, but they don't skip a generation or "run" on dad's side of the family. I know because my husband was (bro died days after birth) a twin, and I asked both the gyno and pedi about this topic. They said that twins, even multiple sets, on dad's side wouldn't increase his or his descendants' chances of having them.  
If mom's family has multiple sets of fraternal twins it might be because the females in that family tend to release more than one egg during ovulation. (Looking at you, Padme Wink) That's the only genetic link to twins in families.

I think that LF will do whatever is most interesting for the story, though, and multiple "Solo" kids would be more interesting than one, IMO Smile Twins can and do occur randomly.
@Cowgirlsamurai

There are lots of twins in my family on both sides. My great-grandma on my mother's side had three sets of twins. On my grandfather's side there were a couple of boy/girl twins in the family. My other half's father was an identical twin. His sister, my sister-in-law has non-identical twin boys. And finally, I have identical twin boys!

I always like to imagine Reylo having a girl and then a set of boy/girl twins or maybe identical girl twins and then a boy. Basically, I'd like them to have a daughter first. I think it would give Kylo/Ben more confidence as a father if he had a doting daughter who was the apple of her daddy's eye. I'm thinking Rey would be happy with either but she might feel more at ease with a daughter, given the history of the Skywalker family!
@Mrs Ben Solo

I agree with this.  We also have yet for a saga film to focus solely on a Skywalker female as the protagonist (Reywalkers will eat me alive for that statement!), so there is that aspect too.  Yes, we do have Leia, but she wasn't even revealed as a blood relative until the third film, so she wasn't a main protagonist in that regard.
@IoJovi

I would love if Kylo/Ben and Rey had a daughter.And you said we've never really had a female Skywalker as a protagonist before so it would be a great opportunity to explore how she would have to strugle with the Skywalker legacy and NOT turn to the DS like it happened with Kylo.I mean Luke(for now) and Leia didn't end up turing to the DS either but they weren't raised with the knowedge that they were Vader's children so it was easier for them to not let the DS consume them since they had been raised with love and care plays it also didn't become public knowedge untill they were in their 50s so they didn't have to struggle with being accepted and trusted by others.Reylo's potential daughter however would have to cope with that since her childhood at least with  knowing Vader is  her relative(and we still don't know anything about Rey's family they could have been DS or Imperials as well) and with people around her potentially mistrusting her because of that like it happened with Leia.
For all the talks about the uncertain future of the Skywalkers I just don't see LF not continung at least with one more generation of the Skywalkers especially since any potential Skywalkers will be grandchidlren to Han and Leia who're iconic characters and couple(Rey and Kylo are also very popular characters already and their popualrity will probably increase even more with the rest of the movies) and now with Carrie's(and also Leia's) death it makes me even more certain they would want to honour Leia's memory by continung her bloodline and having her son be redeemed.

CienaRee
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Messages : 972
Likes : 4816
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26

Back to top Go down

Re: The Reproductive Imperative

Post by Cowgirlsamurai on Wed 2 Aug - 20:16

Mrs Ben Solo wrote:
Cowgirlsamurai wrote:
IoJovi wrote:
adamdrivershair wrote:How confident are you guys that there will indeed be Skywalker-focused stories after 9? @ISeeAnIsland I agree that it doesn't make sense for Lucasfilm to close things off at the end of the ST, given how much money they've invested. But Plotgate proved to me that TPTB aren't beyond making surprising choices in the name of artistic integrity.

Maybe they agree with the numerous fanboys who all want the Skywalker saga to wrap up with 9, for storytelling's sake. Maybe KK isn't obscuring the truth when she says that they need to figure out whether there is actually a story worth telling beyond 9 - that it's not a foregone conclusion that there would be more Skywalker stories just because of the money they could make.
@adamdrivershair

Yeah that quote from KK certainly doesn't give me the warm fuzzies that future Skywalkers are guarenteed, but what I wouldn't give for a trilogy that revolves around Rey and Ben's kids, boy(s) or girl(s).  It's also said twins tend skip a generations, so in this case, twins would be likely for them.  Oh boy, I'm giving myself the feels right now...  I need this in my life!!!  Laughing
@IoJovi

Since this is a "reproductive" thread, lol:

There are a lot of common misconceptions about twins in families, but they don't skip a generation or "run" on dad's side of the family. I know because my husband was (bro died days after birth) a twin, and I asked both the gyno and pedi about this topic. They said that twins, even multiple sets, on dad's side wouldn't increase his or his descendants' chances of having them.  
If mom's family has multiple sets of fraternal twins it might be because the females in that family tend to release more than one egg during ovulation. (Looking at you, Padme Wink) That's the only genetic link to twins in families.

I think that LF will do whatever is most interesting for the story, though, and multiple "Solo" kids would be more interesting than one, IMO Smile Twins can and do occur randomly.
@Cowgirlsamurai

There are lots of twins in my family on both sides. My great-grandma on my mother's side had three sets of twins. On my grandfather's side there were a couple of boy/girl twins in the family. My other half's father was an identical twin. His sister, my sister-in-law has non-identical twin boys. And finally, I have identical twin boys!

I always like to imagine Reylo having a girl and then a set of boy/girl twins or maybe identical girl twins and then a boy. Basically, I'd like them to have a daughter first. I think it would give Kylo/Ben more confidence as a father if he had a doting daughter who was the apple of her daddy's eye. I'm thinking Rey would be happy with either but she might feel more at ease with a daughter, given the history of the Skywalker family!
@Mrs Ben Solo

Holy cow! Three sets of twins! Shocked

I wanted twins during my first pregnancy (two and done!), but then my second pregnancy I was terrified at the possibility of jumping from one to three kids, haha. You are one super lucky, mama! Wink I bet your boys are so cute and thick as thieves Razz

We don't know if my husband had an identical or a fraternal twin (MIL didn't even know she was pregnant with twins!), but I've always thought it would be fascinating for my husband to have a body double we could hang out with Very Happy

Reylo twins would be I love you I love you I love you
avatar
Cowgirlsamurai
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Messages : 853
Likes : 3876
Date d'inscription : 2017-03-30
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

Re: The Reproductive Imperative

Post by snufkin on Wed 2 Aug - 20:26

@IoJovi - that's one way of looking at it, for sure! I do think that it poses an interesting question with the fans who'd been banging on about how Leia didn't count for legacy being a girl and giving her kid the last name of the man who fathered him. Like there's definitely been some gross internalized sexism in some of the Reywalker assumptions that it has to be the male line. Possibly from the same impulse which cares mostly about who Rey's parents are and that if it's not Luke, then they won't care/feel cheated. And that was before CF passed away even.
avatar
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 5884
Likes : 25044
Date d'inscription : 2016-04-17
Localisation : it's in the chorus of Pavement's "Unfair"

Back to top Go down

Re: The Reproductive Imperative

Post by Saracene on Thu 3 Aug - 0:31

adamdrivershair wrote:How confident are you guys that there will indeed be Skywalker-focused stories after 9? @ISeeAnIsland I agree that it doesn't make sense for Lucasfilm to close things off at the end of the ST, given how much money they've invested. But Plotgate proved to me that TPTB aren't beyond making surprising choices in the name of artistic integrity.

Maybe they agree with the numerous fanboys who all want the Skywalker saga to wrap up with 9, for storytelling's sake. Maybe KK isn't obscuring the truth when she says that they need to figure out whether there is actually a story worth telling beyond 9 - that it's not a foregone conclusion that there would be more Skywalker stories just because of the money they could make.
@adamdrivershair

My biggest reason for believing in the continued Skywalker saga is, to put it bluntly, money. I just can't see them killing their golden goose after just three movies.

Personally, I think it would be incredibly boring to have yet another Skywalker saga about struggling with the family history, light/dark side, blah blah blah. If they wanted to continue, I'd prefer for the story to jump far far into the future, or something along these lines, and have a clean slate.
avatar
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1472
Likes : 8435
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-27
Age : 37
Localisation : Melbourne

http://yggdrasille.com

Back to top Go down

Re: The Reproductive Imperative

Post by Mrs Ben Solo on Thu 3 Aug - 1:37

As much as I would like to see more new characters coming in and families outside of the Skywalkers, I do think there are still lots of unexplored avenues for the Skywalker Saga. It doesn't all have to be a struggle between dark and light or living down or living up to Vader's legacy. Ben Solo is a fascinating character, not just because of Vader but because his uncle and parents are all legends in their own right. Any potential children Ben and Rey produced could be anything, and that's only taking into account their father's genes. For all we know, Rey's family history could be just as mind boggling! Their children could be extra powerful in the force or maybe they'd have a non-force sensitive child or two. Maybe their force sensitive child would eschew their abilities, like Leia to pursue other ambitions. To my mind, there are just too many interesting options to kill off the Skywalker Saga after Episode IX.
avatar
Mrs Ben Solo
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 2160
Likes : 14038
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-27

Back to top Go down

Re: The Reproductive Imperative

Post by IoJovi on Thu 3 Aug - 1:51

Mrs Ben Solo wrote:As much as I would like to see more new characters coming in and families outside of the Skywalkers, I do think there are still lots of unexplored avenues for the Skywalker Saga. It doesn't all have to be a struggle between dark and light or living down or living up to Vader's legacy. Ben Solo is a fascinating character, not just because of Vader but because his uncle and parents are all legends in their own right. Any potential children Ben and Rey produced could be anything, and that's only taking into account their father's genes. For all we know, Rey's family history could be just as mind boggling! Their children could be extra powerful in the force or maybe they'd have a non-force sensitive child or two. Maybe their force sensitive child would eschew their abilities, like Leia to pursue other ambitions. To my mind, there are just too many interesting options to kill off the Skywalker Saga after Episode IX.
@Mrs Ben Solo

That is such a fantastic point about Rey's abilities and what her children would inherit from her. We focus so much on the Skywalkers and Anakin's descendants that we might not be taking into consideration Rey's lineage and whoever it is she's descended from. The possibilities are endless.

@Saracene I don't think you're being too blunt when you talk about $$$ and it being a motivating factor for LF. Disney didn't pay 1 Billion dollars for the Star Wars franchise, only to kill off the Skywalker line.

Heck, aside from KK's comments about the theme being hope and that these are uplifting stories, it's one the reasons why I'm banking on a happy ending for these two, whatever form that may come in.

_________________
"Kylo and Rey are two halves of the dark and the light.” - Rian Johnson
avatar
IoJovi
Moderator

Messages : 6200
Likes : 33569
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26
Age : 101
Localisation : Atlanta, GA

Back to top Go down

Re: The Reproductive Imperative

Post by adamdrivershair on Thu 3 Aug - 2:09

@Saracene Makes me think of the Toy Story movies - I was very surprised to hear we're getting another one, after we'd been promised that the last one was it, and the ending seemed specifically crafted to provide a nice farewell to the series. It has to be the money. I'd rather that they had just stuck to their guns.

@Mrs Ben Solo So true! Why start over with characters we know nothing about when there's still a huge sandbox to play in?
avatar
adamdrivershair
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Messages : 123
Likes : 633
Date d'inscription : 2017-05-28

Back to top Go down

Re: The Reproductive Imperative

Post by RandomObserver on Thu 3 Aug - 3:27

CienaRee wrote:
IoJovi wrote:
Mrs Ben Solo wrote:
Cowgirlsamurai wrote:
IoJovi wrote:
adamdrivershair wrote:How confident are you guys that there will indeed be Skywalker-focused stories after 9? @ISeeAnIsland I agree that it doesn't make sense for Lucasfilm to close things off at the end of the ST, given how much money they've invested. But Plotgate proved to me that TPTB aren't beyond making surprising choices in the name of artistic integrity.

Maybe they agree with the numerous fanboys who all want the Skywalker saga to wrap up with 9, for storytelling's sake. Maybe KK isn't obscuring the truth when she says that they need to figure out whether there is actually a story worth telling beyond 9 - that it's not a foregone conclusion that there would be more Skywalker stories just because of the money they could make.
@adamdrivershair

Yeah that quote from KK certainly doesn't give me the warm fuzzies that future Skywalkers are guarenteed, but what I wouldn't give for a trilogy that revolves around Rey and Ben's kids, boy(s) or girl(s).  It's also said twins tend skip a generations, so in this case, twins would be likely for them.  Oh boy, I'm giving myself the feels right now...  I need this in my life!!!  Laughing
@IoJovi

Since this is a "reproductive" thread, lol:

There are a lot of common misconceptions about twins in families, but they don't skip a generation or "run" on dad's side of the family. I know because my husband was (bro died days after birth) a twin, and I asked both the gyno and pedi about this topic. They said that twins, even multiple sets, on dad's side wouldn't increase his or his descendants' chances of having them.  
If mom's family has multiple sets of fraternal twins it might be because the females in that family tend to release more than one egg during ovulation. (Looking at you, Padme Wink) That's the only genetic link to twins in families.

I think that LF will do whatever is most interesting for the story, though, and multiple "Solo" kids would be more interesting than one, IMO Smile Twins can and do occur randomly.
@Cowgirlsamurai

There are lots of twins in my family on both sides. My great-grandma on my mother's side had three sets of twins. On my grandfather's side there were a couple of boy/girl twins in the family. My other half's father was an identical twin. His sister, my sister-in-law has non-identical twin boys. And finally, I have identical twin boys!

I always like to imagine Reylo having a girl and then a set of boy/girl twins or maybe identical girl twins and then a boy. Basically, I'd like them to have a daughter first. I think it would give Kylo/Ben more confidence as a father if he had a doting daughter who was the apple of her daddy's eye. I'm thinking Rey would be happy with either but she might feel more at ease with a daughter, given the history of the Skywalker family!
@Mrs Ben Solo

I agree with this.  We also have yet for a saga film to focus solely on a Skywalker female as the protagonist (Reywalkers will eat me alive for that statement!), so there is that aspect too.  Yes, we do have Leia, but she wasn't even revealed as a blood relative until the third film, so she wasn't a main protagonist in that regard.
@IoJovi

I would love if Kylo/Ben and Rey had a daughter.And you said we've never really had a female Skywalker as a protagonist before so it would be a great opportunity to explore how she would have to strugle with the Skywalker legacy and NOT turn to the DS like it happened with Kylo.I mean Luke(for now) and Leia didn't end up turing to the DS either but they weren't raised with the knowedge that they were Vader's children so it was easier for them to not let the DS consume them since they had been raised with love and care plays it also didn't become public knowedge untill they were in their 50s so they didn't have to struggle with being accepted and trusted by others.Reylo's potential daughter however would have to cope with that since her childhood at least with  knowing Vader is  her relative(and we still don't know anything about Rey's family they could have been DS or Imperials as well) and with people around her potentially mistrusting her because of that like it happened with Leia.
For all the talks about the uncertain future of the Skywalkers I just don't see LF not continung at least with one more generation of the Skywalkers especially since any potential Skywalkers will be grandchidlren to Han and Leia who're iconic characters and couple(Rey and Kylo are also very popular characters already and their popualrity will probably increase even more with the rest of the movies) and now with Carrie's(and also Leia's) death it makes me even more certain they would want to honour Leia's memory by continung her bloodline and having her son be redeemed.
@CienaRee

I'm going to drop in here to add some out-there predictions, because I do think Kylo/Ben and Rey are going to carry on the Skywalker line, now more than ever. With the untimely death of Carrie Fisher (RIP), I wouldn't be surprised if there's even a wedding at the end of Episode 9, because they're going to want to solidify the franchise. There's bankability in the characters, and Disney loves bankable stories. I think they'll continue to do a non-Skywalker movie every other year or so (like Rogue One), but there's no way they wouldn't continue the lineage, because who's the most bankable out of all the characters in the franchise? Darth Vader. And to drop the Skywalker line and move on with other stories without acknowledging where it all started, would make the fanboys clutch their pearls in terror.

Disney is constructing a Star Wars Land in California. You don't have Star Wars without the Skywalkers, and even George Lucas said he demanded Disney keep it about the Skywalkers (paraphrasing here, but he did say that). So yeah, there's going to be either a 180 with Kylo Ren and he and Rey tie the knot down the road, or something's going to go down between them and she will (eventually) carry on the Skywalker line, after kicking a** and taking names, of course. Wink
avatar
RandomObserver
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Messages : 247
Likes : 1666
Date d'inscription : 2016-05-22

Back to top Go down

Re: The Reproductive Imperative

Post by snufkin on Thu 3 Aug - 5:08

@RandomObserver - you totally pointed out something I've tuned out, the ever present advertising (and I'm up in the Gold Country, we're getting TV/billboard ads here too) for Disneyland's parks and Seasons of the Force. I've read some criticism of how Pixar's gotten turned inside out to provide content for future Disney parks and it's not a stretch to think the same holds true for Lucasfilm.
avatar
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 5884
Likes : 25044
Date d'inscription : 2016-04-17
Localisation : it's in the chorus of Pavement's "Unfair"

Back to top Go down

Re: The Reproductive Imperative

Post by tukicarreno on Thu 3 Aug - 5:50

AceofWands wrote: I don't have any doubt that Rey and Kylo is the big romance of this trilogy.

Some people on Tumblr and other places fear that Disney could back off due to the backlash, but the reality is that the backlash is from a tiny minority that's bound to complain regardless. GA have nothing against Reylo. It's the way to make the trilogy memorable. The OT was mostly memorable because of the complex father-son dynamic, and the redemption. Without Rey and Kylo having a romance, the ST will be remembered for what?

So really, there shouldn't be the least shred of a doubt that Rey and Kylo as romantic is the big relationship in this trilogy.

And I agree with the reproduction imperative. Wow, I love the term!

Couldn´t have said it better! Agreed 100%. It just makes sense. I have no doubt either, it´s coming either in VIII or IX but it is coming. Smile Wink

tukicarreno
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Messages : 209
Likes : 1081
Date d'inscription : 2017-05-25

Back to top Go down

Re: The Reproductive Imperative

Post by DarthRen on Thu 3 Aug - 11:14

RandomObserver wrote:
CienaRee wrote:
IoJovi wrote:
Mrs Ben Solo wrote:
Cowgirlsamurai wrote:
IoJovi wrote:
adamdrivershair wrote:How confident are you guys that there will indeed be Skywalker-focused stories after 9? @ISeeAnIsland I agree that it doesn't make sense for Lucasfilm to close things off at the end of the ST, given how much money they've invested. But Plotgate proved to me that TPTB aren't beyond making surprising choices in the name of artistic integrity.

Maybe they agree with the numerous fanboys who all want the Skywalker saga to wrap up with 9, for storytelling's sake. Maybe KK isn't obscuring the truth when she says that they need to figure out whether there is actually a story worth telling beyond 9 - that it's not a foregone conclusion that there would be more Skywalker stories just because of the money they could make.
@adamdrivershair

Yeah that quote from KK certainly doesn't give me the warm fuzzies that future Skywalkers are guarenteed, but what I wouldn't give for a trilogy that revolves around Rey and Ben's kids, boy(s) or girl(s).  It's also said twins tend skip a generations, so in this case, twins would be likely for them.  Oh boy, I'm giving myself the feels right now...  I need this in my life!!!  Laughing
@IoJovi

Since this is a "reproductive" thread, lol:

There are a lot of common misconceptions about twins in families, but they don't skip a generation or "run" on dad's side of the family. I know because my husband was (bro died days after birth) a twin, and I asked both the gyno and pedi about this topic. They said that twins, even multiple sets, on dad's side wouldn't increase his or his descendants' chances of having them.  
If mom's family has multiple sets of fraternal twins it might be because the females in that family tend to release more than one egg during ovulation. (Looking at you, Padme Wink) That's the only genetic link to twins in families.

I think that LF will do whatever is most interesting for the story, though, and multiple "Solo" kids would be more interesting than one, IMO Smile Twins can and do occur randomly.
@Cowgirlsamurai

There are lots of twins in my family on both sides. My great-grandma on my mother's side had three sets of twins. On my grandfather's side there were a couple of boy/girl twins in the family. My other half's father was an identical twin. His sister, my sister-in-law has non-identical twin boys. And finally, I have identical twin boys!

I always like to imagine Reylo having a girl and then a set of boy/girl twins or maybe identical girl twins and then a boy. Basically, I'd like them to have a daughter first. I think it would give Kylo/Ben more confidence as a father if he had a doting daughter who was the apple of her daddy's eye. I'm thinking Rey would be happy with either but she might feel more at ease with a daughter, given the history of the Skywalker family!
@Mrs Ben Solo

I agree with this.  We also have yet for a saga film to focus solely on a Skywalker female as the protagonist (Reywalkers will eat me alive for that statement!), so there is that aspect too.  Yes, we do have Leia, but she wasn't even revealed as a blood relative until the third film, so she wasn't a main protagonist in that regard.
@IoJovi

I would love if Kylo/Ben and Rey had a daughter.And you said we've never really had a female Skywalker as a protagonist before so it would be a great opportunity to explore how she would have to strugle with the Skywalker legacy and NOT turn to the DS like it happened with Kylo.I mean Luke(for now) and Leia didn't end up turing to the DS either but they weren't raised with the knowedge that they were Vader's children so it was easier for them to not let the DS consume them since they had been raised with love and care  plays it also didn't become public knowedge untill they were in their 50s so they didn't have to struggle with being accepted and trusted by others.Reylo's potential daughter however would have to cope with that since her childhood at least with  knowing Vader is  her relative(and we still don't know anything about Rey's family they could have been DS or Imperials as well) and with people around her potentially mistrusting her because of that like it happened with Leia.
For all the talks about the uncertain future of the Skywalkers I just don't see LF not continung at least with one more generation of the Skywalkers especially since any potential Skywalkers will be grandchidlren to Han and Leia who're iconic characters and couple(Rey and Kylo are also very popular characters already and their popualrity will probably increase even more with the rest of the movies) and now with Carrie's(and also Leia's) death it makes me even more certain they would want to honour Leia's memory by continung her bloodline and having her son be redeemed.
@CienaRee

I'm going to drop in here to add some out-there predictions, because I do think Kylo/Ben and Rey are going to carry on the Skywalker line, now more than ever. With the untimely death of Carrie Fisher (RIP), I wouldn't be surprised if there's even a wedding at the end of Episode 9, because they're going to want to solidify the franchise. There's bankability in the characters, and Disney loves bankable stories. I think they'll continue to do a non-Skywalker movie every other year or so (like Rogue One), but there's no way they wouldn't continue the lineage, because who's the most bankable out of all the characters in the franchise? Darth Vader. And to drop the Skywalker line and move on with other stories without acknowledging where it all started, would make the fanboys clutch their pearls in terror.

Disney is constructing a Star Wars Land in California. You don't have Star Wars without the Skywalkers, and even George Lucas said he demanded Disney keep it about the Skywalkers (paraphrasing here, but he did say that). So yeah, there's going to be either a 180 with Kylo Ren and he and Rey tie the knot down the road, or something's going to go down between them and she will (eventually) carry on the Skywalker line, after kicking a** and taking names, of course. Wink
@RandomObserver

I really like the idea of wedding at the end but to be honest i'll take anything as long it's perfectly clear where Rey and Kylo/Ben stand with each other. Pretty clear to me that Skywalker line will continue. You don't introduce two young, beautiful people as man and woman, do a romance and no kids. It's just too good to pass it by. They do not have to be main players further down the line but could be part of future movies, books or video games.
avatar
DarthRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1014
Likes : 2718
Date d'inscription : 2016-12-05
Age : 28
Localisation : Czech Republic

Back to top Go down

Re: The Reproductive Imperative

Post by Darth Dementor on Sat 5 Aug - 17:29

Cowgirlsamurai wrote:
IoJovi wrote:
adamdrivershair wrote:How confident are you guys that there will indeed be Skywalker-focused stories after 9? @ISeeAnIsland I agree that it doesn't make sense for Lucasfilm to close things off at the end of the ST, given how much money they've invested. But Plotgate proved to me that TPTB aren't beyond making surprising choices in the name of artistic integrity.

Maybe they agree with the numerous fanboys who all want the Skywalker saga to wrap up with 9, for storytelling's sake. Maybe KK isn't obscuring the truth when she says that they need to figure out whether there is actually a story worth telling beyond 9 - that it's not a foregone conclusion that there would be more Skywalker stories just because of the money they could make.
@adamdrivershair

Yeah that quote from KK certainly doesn't give me the warm fuzzies that future Skywalkers are guarenteed, but what I wouldn't give for a trilogy that revolves around Rey and Ben's kids, boy(s) or girl(s).  It's also said twins tend skip a generations, so in this case, twins would be likely for them.  Oh boy, I'm giving myself the feels right now...  I need this in my life!!!  Laughing
@IoJovi

Since this is a "reproductive" thread, lol:

There are a lot of common misconceptions about twins in families, but they don't skip a generation or "run" on dad's side of the family. I know because my husband was (bro died days after birth) a twin, and I asked both the gyno and pedi about this topic. They said that twins, even multiple sets, on dad's side wouldn't increase his or his descendants' chances of having them.  
If mom's family has multiple sets of fraternal twins it might be because the females in that family tend to release more than one egg during ovulation. (Looking at you, Padme Wink) That's the only genetic link to twins in families.

I think that LF will do whatever is most interesting for the story, though, and multiple "Solo" kids would be more interesting than one, IMO Smile Twins can and do occur randomly.
@Cowgirlsamurai
"Twin births have almost doubled in the past 40 years, with one in 65 pregnancies now having two or more babies." I have twin relatives from both sides of my family. My Mum is a twin (fraternal) and she has identical twin sisters who are around the same age as her. And my oldest brother has twin daughters.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3468645/Twin-trouble-twice-Wonder-d-cope-twins-Meet-exhausted-besotted-couples-ve-TWO-sets-just-year.html


_________________
avatar
Darth Dementor
Moderator

Messages : 865
Likes : 3961
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26

Back to top Go down

Re: The Reproductive Imperative

Post by Cowgirlsamurai on Sat 5 Aug - 17:48

@Darth Dementor

Wow! That's interesting.
Our pediatrician has two sets of twins. As someone who feels overwhelmed with two kids 18 months apart, I think that scenario would kill me, lol Razz

I've read that increased maternal age (and fertility treatments) are the main cause for the recent increase in fraternal twins.

https://www.mamanatural.com/chances-of-having-twins/


avatar
Cowgirlsamurai
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Messages : 853
Likes : 3876
Date d'inscription : 2017-03-30
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

Re: The Reproductive Imperative

Post by MrsWindu on Sat 5 Aug - 22:42

RandomObserver wrote:
CienaRee wrote:
IoJovi wrote:
Mrs Ben Solo wrote:
Cowgirlsamurai wrote:
IoJovi wrote:
adamdrivershair wrote:How confident are you guys that there will indeed be Skywalker-focused stories after 9? @ISeeAnIsland I agree that it doesn't make sense for Lucasfilm to close things off at the end of the ST, given how much money they've invested. But Plotgate proved to me that TPTB aren't beyond making surprising choices in the name of artistic integrity.

Maybe they agree with the numerous fanboys who all want the Skywalker saga to wrap up with 9, for storytelling's sake. Maybe KK isn't obscuring the truth when she says that they need to figure out whether there is actually a story worth telling beyond 9 - that it's not a foregone conclusion that there would be more Skywalker stories just because of the money they could make.
@adamdrivershair

Yeah that quote from KK certainly doesn't give me the warm fuzzies that future Skywalkers are guarenteed, but what I wouldn't give for a trilogy that revolves around Rey and Ben's kids, boy(s) or girl(s).  It's also said twins tend skip a generations, so in this case, twins would be likely for them.  Oh boy, I'm giving myself the feels right now...  I need this in my life!!!  Laughing
@IoJovi

Since this is a "reproductive" thread, lol:

There are a lot of common misconceptions about twins in families, but they don't skip a generation or "run" on dad's side of the family. I know because my husband was (bro died days after birth) a twin, and I asked both the gyno and pedi about this topic. They said that twins, even multiple sets, on dad's side wouldn't increase his or his descendants' chances of having them.  
If mom's family has multiple sets of fraternal twins it might be because the females in that family tend to release more than one egg during ovulation. (Looking at you, Padme Wink) That's the only genetic link to twins in families.

I think that LF will do whatever is most interesting for the story, though, and multiple "Solo" kids would be more interesting than one, IMO Smile Twins can and do occur randomly.
@Cowgirlsamurai

There are lots of twins in my family on both sides. My great-grandma on my mother's side had three sets of twins. On my grandfather's side there were a couple of boy/girl twins in the family. My other half's father was an identical twin. His sister, my sister-in-law has non-identical twin boys. And finally, I have identical twin boys!

I always like to imagine Reylo having a girl and then a set of boy/girl twins or maybe identical girl twins and then a boy. Basically, I'd like them to have a daughter first. I think it would give Kylo/Ben more confidence as a father if he had a doting daughter who was the apple of her daddy's eye. I'm thinking Rey would be happy with either but she might feel more at ease with a daughter, given the history of the Skywalker family!
@Mrs Ben Solo

I agree with this.  We also have yet for a saga film to focus solely on a Skywalker female as the protagonist (Reywalkers will eat me alive for that statement!), so there is that aspect too.  Yes, we do have Leia, but she wasn't even revealed as a blood relative until the third film, so she wasn't a main protagonist in that regard.
@IoJovi

I would love if Kylo/Ben and Rey had a daughter.And you said we've never really had a female Skywalker as a protagonist before so it would be a great opportunity to explore how she would have to strugle with the Skywalker legacy and NOT turn to the DS like it happened with Kylo.I mean Luke(for now) and Leia didn't end up turing to the DS either but they weren't raised with the knowedge that they were Vader's children so it was easier for them to not let the DS consume them since they had been raised with love and care plays it also didn't become public knowedge untill they were in their 50s so they didn't have to struggle with being accepted and trusted by others.Reylo's potential daughter however would have to cope with that since her childhood at least with  knowing Vader is  her relative(and we still don't know anything about Rey's family they could have been DS or Imperials as well) and with people around her potentially mistrusting her because of that like it happened with Leia.
For all the talks about the uncertain future of the Skywalkers I just don't see LF not continung at least with one more generation of the Skywalkers especially since any potential Skywalkers will be grandchidlren to Han and Leia who're iconic characters and couple(Rey and Kylo are also very popular characters already and their popualrity will probably increase even more with the rest of the movies) and now with Carrie's(and also Leia's) death it makes me even more certain they would want to honour Leia's memory by continung her bloodline and having her son be redeemed.
@CienaRee

I'm going to drop in here to add some out-there predictions, because I do think Kylo/Ben and Rey are going to carry on the Skywalker line, now more than ever. With the untimely death of Carrie Fisher (RIP), I wouldn't be surprised if there's even a wedding at the end of Episode 9, because they're going to want to solidify the franchise. There's bankability in the characters, and Disney loves bankable stories. I think they'll continue to do a non-Skywalker movie every other year or so (like Rogue One), but there's no way they wouldn't continue the lineage, because who's the most bankable out of all the characters in the franchise? Darth Vader. And to drop the Skywalker line and move on with other stories without acknowledging where it all started, would make the fanboys clutch their pearls in terror.

Disney is constructing a Star Wars Land in California. You don't have Star Wars without the Skywalkers, and even George Lucas said he demanded Disney keep it about the Skywalkers (paraphrasing here, but he did say that). So yeah, there's going to be either a 180 with Kylo Ren and he and Rey tie the knot down the road, or something's going to go down between them and she will (eventually) carry on the Skywalker line, after kicking a** and taking names, of course. Wink
@RandomObserver

For sure I think Disney spending a billion $$$ on each Stars Wars Land would want to see a return on their investment over and well beyond the 2019 opening date. And as you say the franchise has to be solidified so there has to be no doubt as to the continuity of the Skywalker clan beyond IX. I'm certain of Kylo/Ben and Rey union and how they get from A to B could be exquisite although it'll most likely take the next two films
avatar
MrsWindu
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Messages : 96
Likes : 501
Date d'inscription : 2017-08-03
Localisation : U.K.

Back to top Go down

Re: The Reproductive Imperative

Post by tukicarreno on Wed 9 Aug - 2:48

MrsWindu wrote:For sure I think Disney spending a billion $$$ on each Stars Wars Land would want to see a return on their investment over and well beyond the 2019 opening date. And as you say the franchise has to be solidified so there has to be no doubt as to the continuity of the Skywalker clan beyond IX. I'm certain of Kylo/Ben and Rey union and how they get from A to B could be exquisite although it'll most likely take the next two films

Exactly. They will get to point B sooner or later most likely by episode IX. But it will happen, it just makes so much sense for everything in the franchise.  I am so excited just thinking about it, even if we just have to keep waiting.. But the rewards will be epic. Adam & Daisy will forever represent the epic dark/light love story of the ST. Smile I love you Love

tukicarreno
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Messages : 209
Likes : 1081
Date d'inscription : 2017-05-25

Back to top Go down

Re: The Reproductive Imperative

Post by spacebaby45678 on Fri 25 Aug - 15:07

“They’re all female, and I wanted them to feel like a remote sort of little nunnery,” Johnson says. “Neal Scanlan’s crew designed them, and costume designer Michael Kaplan made these working clothes that also reflected sort of a nun-like, spartan sort of existence.”



A nun is a member of a religious community of women, typically one living under vows of poverty, chastity, and obedience

communicate with Luke through what Johnson describes as “a blubbery sort of Scottish fish talk” but they’re not thrilled to have him hanging around. Johnson says they “tolerate” his presence.

Interesting choice by RJ, and I thought this post would be appropriate here, because these NUNS are the exact opposite of the reproductive imperative, they are probably uptight and very proper and the only masculine energy on the island, Luke they barely tolerate. We the audience will probably laugh at them and we are supposed to. They are there to serve as a contrast to the road that Rey will not be choosing and it is part of the Director arguing his case subtly for Reylo. Brilliant RJ, brilliant!


avatar
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 2407
Likes : 5558
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25

Back to top Go down

Re: The Reproductive Imperative

Post by vaderito on Fri 25 Aug - 15:46

Speaking of chastity, there's absolutely no doubt that PT Jedi made a chastity vow. Anakin's speech about ban on attachment/possession but encouragement to show compassion is that in other words. It's only that cartoons and books loosened up on it a bit (we'll look away if you only boink but not if you get emotionally attached, including marriage and kids, then you are fired from the Order) but movie canon is the only canon that matters. GA doesn't know and doesn't care about books, CB and TV shows that exist only to pander to hardcore fans. Whatever happens in those sources is "nice to know" but not essential.

So Reproductive Imperative isn't just about Kylo surviving this but being unbound of Jedi traditions if he chooses to go back to the Light. believers in Skymom think that Luke has already been a Jedi Knight as opposed to Jedi Warrior Monk that PT Jedi were, but you don't do such change off screen. If there's to be a change it's gonna be done on screen thanks to "2 halves of the light and the dark".


Last edited by vaderito on Fri 25 Aug - 15:51; edited 2 times in total
avatar
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 8272
Likes : 39516
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25

Back to top Go down

Re: The Reproductive Imperative

Post by IoJovi on Fri 25 Aug - 15:48

spacebaby45678 wrote:“They’re all female, and I wanted them to feel like a remote sort of little nunnery,” Johnson says. “Neal Scanlan’s crew designed them, and costume designer Michael Kaplan made these working clothes that also reflected sort of a nun-like, spartan sort of existence.”



A nun is a member of a religious community of women, typically one living under vows of poverty, chastity, and obedience

communicate with Luke through what Johnson describes as “a blubbery sort of Scottish fish talk” but they’re not thrilled to have him hanging around. Johnson says they “tolerate” his presence.

Interesting choice by RJ, and I thought this post would be appropriate here, because these NUNS are the exact opposite of the reproductive imperative, they are probably uptight and very proper and  the only masculine energy on the island, Luke they barely tolerate.   We the audience will probably laugh at them and we are supposed to. They are there to serve as a contrast to the road that Rey will not be choosing and it is part of the Director arguing his case subtly for Reylo. Brilliant RJ,  brilliant!


@spacebaby45678

This is absolutely brilliant.  I assumed they'd fill the requirement for cute puppetry ala the ewoks - adorably ugly little aqua-type animal everyone falls in love with and nothing more.  It's likely they have a much greater narrative impact as a contrast to the choice Rey will ultimately make.  I love it!!!

_________________
"Kylo and Rey are two halves of the dark and the light.” - Rian Johnson
avatar
IoJovi
Moderator

Messages : 6200
Likes : 33569
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26
Age : 101
Localisation : Atlanta, GA

Back to top Go down

Re: The Reproductive Imperative

Post by vaderito on Fri 25 Aug - 15:59

@IoJovi

It's likely they have a much greater narrative impact as a contrast to the choice Rey will ultimately make.  I love it!!!

As I started to explain in my previous post, it seems that the Force religion spawned various religious groups that operate like monks, or more precisely, warrior monks (Jedi, Guardians). Not even ministers (religious but have families of their own). So the strictest of the strict and in most cases, their religious zeal combined with astonishing combat prowess. So my guess would be that whatever they learn about the past is going to shake that AND the notion that there has to be the divide between the light and the dark. That maybe, just maybe, when the Force willed Anakin, that was because the Force wanted both the Jedi AND the Sith destroyed. But the Jedi naturally read the prophecy of the one who will bring the balance to the Force as destroying the Sith ONLY. So it's really The Will of the Force =/= Interpretation of the Will of the Force. perhaps the Jedi create disturbance with their insistence on the divide, so it's the divide that creates the dis balance, not just Dark Side users.

My point is, if there's integration aka 2 halves make whole than maybe they'll end the monk nonsense too.
avatar
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 8272
Likes : 39516
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum