Forces of Destiny web series

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Forces of Destiny web series

Post by BB-Rey on 10/24/2017, 3:16 pm

I love Forces of Destiny! Especially the episodes with Rey and BB-8. She's so relatable. It's so great to finally have a character I see myself in fully. It's been a looooong time coming!
avatar
BB-Rey
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Messages : 18
Likes : 52
Date d'inscription : 2017-10-15

Back to top Go down

Re: Forces of Destiny web series

Post by SanghaRen on 10/30/2017, 10:06 am

Not a very memorable one if you ask me, but it’s ok. I would have excepted Jyn to show a bit more resistance.

avatar
SanghaRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1432
Likes : 7210
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-28
Localisation : French living in Germany

Back to top Go down

Re: Forces of Destiny web series

Post by SkyStar on 10/30/2017, 1:14 pm


_________________
The sea goes to weep. The sea goes to sleep.

Avatar by 800lbproductions
avatar
SkyStar
Moderator

Messages : 700
Likes : 3501
Date d'inscription : 2017-01-31
Age : 26

http://vienradzis.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Forces of Destiny web series

Post by Moonlight13 on 10/30/2017, 1:23 pm

@SkyStar wrote:
@SkyStar

That episode is so disturbing Shocked
avatar
Moonlight13
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Messages : 369
Likes : 1579
Date d'inscription : 2017-06-15
Age : 23
Localisation : Argentina

Back to top Go down

Re: Forces of Destiny web series

Post by SkyStar on 10/30/2017, 1:28 pm

@Moonlight13 wrote:
@SkyStar wrote:
@SkyStar

That episode is so disturbing Shocked
@Moonlight13

Because of the ewoks? Very Happy

_________________
The sea goes to weep. The sea goes to sleep.

Avatar by 800lbproductions
avatar
SkyStar
Moderator

Messages : 700
Likes : 3501
Date d'inscription : 2017-01-31
Age : 26

http://vienradzis.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Forces of Destiny web series

Post by Moonlight13 on 10/30/2017, 1:31 pm

@SkyStar wrote:
@Moonlight13 wrote:
@SkyStar wrote:
@SkyStar

That episode is so disturbing Shocked
@Moonlight13

Because of the ewoks? Very Happy
@SkyStar

Because Han and Chewie were going to let them eat the stormtroopers. Laughing
avatar
Moonlight13
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Messages : 369
Likes : 1579
Date d'inscription : 2017-06-15
Age : 23
Localisation : Argentina

Back to top Go down

Re: Forces of Destiny web series

Post by SkyStar on 10/30/2017, 1:40 pm

@Moonlight13 wrote:
@SkyStar wrote:
@Moonlight13 wrote:
@SkyStar wrote:
@SkyStar

That episode is so disturbing Shocked
@Moonlight13

Because of the ewoks? Very Happy
@SkyStar

Because Han and Chewie were going to let them eat the stormtroopers. Laughing
@Moonlight13

Hahah, I don't know why I found it hilarious. Very Happy

_________________
The sea goes to weep. The sea goes to sleep.

Avatar by 800lbproductions
avatar
SkyStar
Moderator

Messages : 700
Likes : 3501
Date d'inscription : 2017-01-31
Age : 26

http://vienradzis.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Forces of Destiny web series

Post by SanghaRen on 10/31/2017, 12:07 pm

I found the Ewok episode hilarious too. I actually don’t believe they would have let the Ewok cook the stormtroopers, but it’s funny. And Hera is in it! The Ghost is a superior ship to the Millenium Falcon Smile

Here is another one. It’s cute.

avatar
SanghaRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1432
Likes : 7210
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-28
Localisation : French living in Germany

Back to top Go down

Re: Forces of Destiny web series

Post by SkyStar on 10/31/2017, 1:35 pm

@SanghaRen wrote:I found the Ewok episode hilarious too. I actually don’t believe they would have let the Ewok cook the stormtroopers, but it’s funny. And Hera is in it! The Ghost is a superior ship to the Millenium Falcon Smile

Here is another one. It’s cute.

@SanghaRen

This one is much better than the fiasco Finn one. Rey really knows how to make friends with different beasts! Smile

_________________
The sea goes to weep. The sea goes to sleep.

Avatar by 800lbproductions
avatar
SkyStar
Moderator

Messages : 700
Likes : 3501
Date d'inscription : 2017-01-31
Age : 26

http://vienradzis.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Forces of Destiny web series

Post by snufkin on 10/31/2017, 2:02 pm

It’s v cute and way to point out how much of a d*ckbag Plutt is to her by telling her that she’s a lowly girl who has no friends. It’s going to make whatever the Space Nerds episode is going to be pretty entertaining.
avatar
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 5928
Likes : 25653
Date d'inscription : 2016-04-16
Localisation : it's in the chorus of Pavement's "Unfair"

Back to top Go down

Re: Forces of Destiny web series

Post by vaderito on 10/31/2017, 2:17 pm

Rey bonding with beasts are the best episodes. teach kids to be kind to animals and that's wonderful. cheers
avatar
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 8694
Likes : 41216
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Forces of Destiny web series

Post by Irina de France on 11/13/2017, 12:54 pm

I should maybe carry this to another thread, but I am so happy they're publishing a YA novel about Padmé because I am not big on how Lucasfilm has been treating her ever since Disney bought the franchise. There's little to no mention of her, except in Bloodline where you have Leia speculating about how she and Luke were conceived and... her thoughts are pretty horrifying, and you discover that she hasn't been trying to find out much about her biological mother. Looks like they finally caught up with Leia, Princess of Alderaan, but still.

Then there's Forces of Destiny: I was excited at first, because I knew we'd finally get to see some Padmé, but so far, her appearances have been pretty disappointing, and it's like they're always trying to make Ahsoka look better in comparison. Like, don't get me wrong, I love Ahsoka, but... gah, Padmé so far has pretty much been: "I'm preparing a party! Ahsoka points out something about how the table is set that I should have been the first person to notice because I'm the diplomat, thank the Force Ahsoka is around, and oh no! Someone trying to murder me! Thank you Ahsoka for saving the day while I help you a bit by hitting the murderer with a vase!" Also "Thanks for teaching me how to fly, Ahsoka!" Like, for the last episode, it gets better later on, but it's like they keep forgetting that Padmé ruled an entire planet from age 14 for 8 years, and people liked her so much they wanted her to stay longer, she was a great politician, she knew how to fight and how to use a blaster pretty efficiently, and she set the bases for the Rebellion (though George Lucas thought it was a good idea to cut those scenes, *sigh*).

Let's just say I hope the reason is not "Padmé's not a good enough role model for little girls because she's boring and she wears dresses".

_________________

The stars wouldn't shine so bright without a little darkness.
GIF source: [X]


Bonjour ma cousine,
Bonjour mon cousin germain,
On m'a dit que vous m'aimiez,
Est-ce bien la vérité?
Je n'm'en soucie guère,
Je n'm'en soucie guère,
Passez par ici et vous par là,
Bonjour ma cousine et puis voilà!


Avatar source: [X]
avatar
Irina de France
Moderator

Messages : 1429
Likes : 7235
Date d'inscription : 2016-04-22
Age : 22
Localisation : Ottawa, Canada

http://cosetteskywalker.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Forces of Destiny web series

Post by SoloSideCousin on 11/13/2017, 1:53 pm

@Irina de France wrote:I should maybe carry this to another thread, but I am so happy they're publishing a YA novel about Padmé because I am not big on how Lucasfilm has been treating her ever since Disney bought the franchise. There's little to no mention of her, except in Bloodline where you have Leia speculating about how she and Luke were conceived and... her thoughts are pretty horrifying, and you discover that she hasn't been trying to find out much about her biological mother. Looks like they finally caught up with Leia, Princess of Alderaan, but still.

Then there's Forces of Destiny: I was excited at first, because I knew we'd finally get to see some Padmé, but so far, her appearances have been pretty disappointing, and it's like they're always trying to make Ahsoka look better in comparison. Like, don't get me wrong, I love Ahsoka, but... gah, Padmé so far has pretty much been: "I'm preparing a party! Ahsoka points out something about how the table is set that I should have been the first person to notice because I'm the diplomat, thank the Force Ahsoka is around, and oh no! Someone trying to murder me! Thank you Ahsoka for saving the day while I help you a bit by hitting the murderer with a vase!" Also "Thanks for teaching me how to fly, Ahsoka!" Like, for the last episode, it gets better later on, but it's like they keep forgetting that Padmé ruled an entire planet from age 14 for 8 years, and people liked her so much they wanted her to stay longer, she was a great politician, she knew how to fight and how to use a blaster pretty efficiently, and she set the bases for the Rebellion (though George Lucas thought it was a good idea to cut those scenes, *sigh*).

Let's just say I hope the reason is not "Padmé's not a good enough role model for little girls because she's boring and she wears dresses".
@Irina de France

I don't think Padme's feminine style is the reason that Disney has been holding back on her. Disney is all about the Pretty Woman/Princess moment. I think the reason involved what you alluded to in the bolded.

IMO, GL took a hatchet to Padme after the first few minutes of AOTC and just never looked back. She starts off that movie surviving an assassination attempt and calling Anakin on his stalkerish tendencies to having, just a few scenes later, those weird, sexually undertoned scenes where she is wearing that leather corset dress (which could easily be found in a dominatrix's closet, which was seemingly incongruent with her presented character) while telling Anakin that they can't be together, *and* she does this *after* he reveals his dictatorship tendencies. Then she tells him she loves him *after* he kills an entire village and then marries him without saying another word about it. I'm not saying that she should have thrown him to the wolves or shouldn't have cared about him, but to marry him, in secret, without at least *some* showing that he was receiving help or had been put on leave, something, was just crazy. A woman of her stature didn't need to *marry* a guy like that. A woman of her stature could have demanded that he leave the Jedi because he wasn't a safe warrior and/or he should get himself mentally straight before she married him. GL denied her any credibility in that regard.

Then in ROTS, she is diminished further. GL took away all of her Rebel Alliance scenes. He took away her "almost stabs Anakin on Mustafar" scene. He makes her into a beautiful pregnant doll in most scenes. He literally makes her a powerless, actually fainting pawn between Anakin and Obi-Wan. He has Anakin choke her without giving her a second of defensive reaction. I mean she just stands there. She doesn't run towards him or fight back. Then worst of all, she "dies of a broken heart" when she has just been given two beautiful babies. Now maybe the Emperor was sucking her life force. I don't know. But it "looks like" she leaves her babies because she is too distraught over her husband, who has time and again showed he was a problematic partner at best.

IMO GL dug a massive hole, and Disney has a lot of cleaning up to do with Padme. It probably actually took them some time to figure out a credible reason why someone as accomplished and smart as Padme would do all the things she did from AOTC on. I honestly wouldn't be surprised in they threw in some Palpatine mental influencing because GL messed up so badly.
avatar
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 3710
Likes : 16681
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Forces of Destiny web series

Post by CienaRee on 11/13/2017, 2:06 pm

@SoloSideCousin wrote:
@Irina de France wrote:I should maybe carry this to another thread, but I am so happy they're publishing a YA novel about Padmé because I am not big on how Lucasfilm has been treating her ever since Disney bought the franchise. There's little to no mention of her, except in Bloodline where you have Leia speculating about how she and Luke were conceived and... her thoughts are pretty horrifying, and you discover that she hasn't been trying to find out much about her biological mother. Looks like they finally caught up with Leia, Princess of Alderaan, but still.

Then there's Forces of Destiny: I was excited at first, because I knew we'd finally get to see some Padmé, but so far, her appearances have been pretty disappointing, and it's like they're always trying to make Ahsoka look better in comparison. Like, don't get me wrong, I love Ahsoka, but... gah, Padmé so far has pretty much been: "I'm preparing a party! Ahsoka points out something about how the table is set that I should have been the first person to notice because I'm the diplomat, thank the Force Ahsoka is around, and oh no! Someone trying to murder me! Thank you Ahsoka for saving the day while I help you a bit by hitting the murderer with a vase!" Also "Thanks for teaching me how to fly, Ahsoka!" Like, for the last episode, it gets better later on, but it's like they keep forgetting that Padmé ruled an entire planet from age 14 for 8 years, and people liked her so much they wanted her to stay longer, she was a great politician, she knew how to fight and how to use a blaster pretty efficiently, and she set the bases for the Rebellion (though George Lucas thought it was a good idea to cut those scenes, *sigh*).

Let's just say I hope the reason is not "Padmé's not a good enough role model for little girls because she's boring and she wears dresses".
@Irina de France

I don't think Padme's feminine style is the reason that Disney has been holding back on her. Disney is all about the Pretty Woman/Princess moment. I think the reason involved what you alluded to in the bolded.

IMO, GL took a hatchet to Padme after the first few minutes of AOTC and just never looked back. She starts off that movie surviving an assassination attempt and calling Anakin on his stalkerish tendencies to having, just a few scenes later, those weird, sexually undertoned scenes where she is wearing that leather corset dress (which could easily be found in a dominatrix's closet, which was seemingly incongruent with her presented character) while telling Anakin that they can't be together, *and* she does this *after* he reveals his dictatorship tendencies. Then she tells him she loves him *after* he kills an entire village and then marries him without saying another word about it. I'm not saying that she should have thrown him to the wolves or shouldn't have cared about him, but to marry him, in secret, without at least *some* showing that he was receiving help or had been put on leave, something, was just crazy. A woman of her stature didn't need to *marry* a guy like that. A woman of her stature could have demanded that he leave the Jedi because he wasn't a safe warrior and/or he should get himself mentally straight before she married him. GL denied her any credibility in that regard.

Then in ROTS, she is diminished further. GL took away all of her Rebel Alliance scenes. He took away her "almost stabs Anakin on Mustafar" scene. He makes her into a beautiful pregnant doll in most scenes. He literally makes her a powerless, actually fainting pawn between Anakin and Obi-Wan. He has Anakin choke her without giving her a second of defensive reaction. I mean she just stands there. She doesn't run towards him or fight back. Then worst of all, she "dies of a broken heart" when she has just been given two beautiful babies. Now maybe the Emperor was sucking her life force. I don't know. But it "looks like" she leaves her babies because she is too distraught over her husband, who has time and again showed he was a problematic partner at best.

IMO GL dug a massive hole, and Disney has a lot of cleaning up to do with Padme. It probably actually took them some time to figure out a credible reason why someone as accomplished and smart as Padme would do all the things she did from AOTC on. I honestly wouldn't be surprised in they threw in some Palpatine mental influencing because GL messed up so badly.
@SoloSideCousin

Yeah,there was definitely a lot of missed potential with Padme(and really with a lot of he PT characters) but I have to give credit to some of the fans I've seen some really amazing metas about her character development post TPM and the reasons behind some of the decisions she made in order to justify the mess he did of an otherwise great character after TPM.
But to play the devil's advocate he did Leia dirty as well in RTJ(in all of the OT really what with ignoring and not dealing with her trauma of loosing Alderaan and being tortured but in RTJ it was more visible) by forcing her into a slave outfit and using her as a plot device to further the Vader/Luke drama but I guess since she had the most action scenes in that movie people just ignore that.

CienaRee
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Messages : 986
Likes : 4882
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Forces of Destiny web series

Post by Irina de France on 11/13/2017, 2:12 pm

@SoloSideCousin wrote:
@Irina de France wrote:I should maybe carry this to another thread, but I am so happy they're publishing a YA novel about Padmé because I am not big on how Lucasfilm has been treating her ever since Disney bought the franchise. There's little to no mention of her, except in Bloodline where you have Leia speculating about how she and Luke were conceived and... her thoughts are pretty horrifying, and you discover that she hasn't been trying to find out much about her biological mother. Looks like they finally caught up with Leia, Princess of Alderaan, but still.

Then there's Forces of Destiny: I was excited at first, because I knew we'd finally get to see some Padmé, but so far, her appearances have been pretty disappointing, and it's like they're always trying to make Ahsoka look better in comparison. Like, don't get me wrong, I love Ahsoka, but... gah, Padmé so far has pretty much been: "I'm preparing a party! Ahsoka points out something about how the table is set that I should have been the first person to notice because I'm the diplomat, thank the Force Ahsoka is around, and oh no! Someone trying to murder me! Thank you Ahsoka for saving the day while I help you a bit by hitting the murderer with a vase!" Also "Thanks for teaching me how to fly, Ahsoka!" Like, for the last episode, it gets better later on, but it's like they keep forgetting that Padmé ruled an entire planet from age 14 for 8 years, and people liked her so much they wanted her to stay longer, she was a great politician, she knew how to fight and how to use a blaster pretty efficiently, and she set the bases for the Rebellion (though George Lucas thought it was a good idea to cut those scenes, *sigh*).

Let's just say I hope the reason is not "Padmé's not a good enough role model for little girls because she's boring and she wears dresses".
@Irina de France

I don't think Padme's feminine style is the reason that Disney has been holding back on her. Disney is all about the Pretty Woman/Princess moment. I think the reason involved what you alluded to in the bolded.

IMO, GL took a hatchet to Padme after the first few minutes of AOTC and just never looked back. She starts off that movie surviving an assassination attempt and calling Anakin on his stalkerish tendencies to having, just a few scenes later, those weird, sexually undertoned scenes where she is wearing that leather corset dress (which could easily be found in a dominatrix's closet, which was seemingly incongruent with her presented character) while telling Anakin that they can't be together, *and* she does this *after* he reveals his dictatorship tendencies. Then she tells him she loves him *after* he kills an entire village and then marries him without saying another word about it. I'm not saying that she should have thrown him to the wolves or shouldn't have cared about him, but to marry him, in secret, without at least *some* showing that he was receiving help or had been put on leave, something, was just crazy. A woman of her stature didn't need to *marry* a guy like that. A woman of her stature could have demanded that he leave the Jedi because he wasn't a safe warrior and/or he should get himself mentally straight before she married him. GL denied her any credibility in that regard.

Then in ROTS, she is diminished further. GL took away all of her Rebel Alliance scenes. He took away her "almost stabs Anakin on Mustafar" scene. He makes her into a beautiful pregnant doll in most scenes. He literally makes her a powerless, actually fainting pawn between Anakin and Obi-Wan. He has Anakin choke her without giving her a second of defensive reaction. I mean she just stands there. She doesn't run towards him or fight back. Then worst of all, she "dies of a broken heart" when she has just been given two beautiful babies. Now maybe the Emperor was sucking her life force. I don't know. But it "looks like" she leaves her babies because she is too distraught over her husband, who has time and again showed he was a problematic partner at best.

IMO GL dug a massive hole, and Disney has a lot of cleaning up to do with Padme. It probably actually took them some time to figure out a credible reason why someone as accomplished and smart as Padme would do all the things she did from AOTC on. I honestly wouldn't be surprised in they threw in some Palpatine mental influencing because GL messed up so badly.
@SoloSideCousin

I don't understand for the life of me why George Lucas didn't ask for someone else to write the dialogue between Anakin and Padmé. I mean, Carrie Fisher was a script doctor for all 3 prequel movies, so frankly, either the dialogue would have been much, much worse without her (shudders), either whatever changes she'd suggest would have George wave his hand and stick to his guns. *LE SIGH*

TCW gives some hints here and there as to why Anakin and Padmé ended up together: it kind of seems as if they both grew up too fast. They both have very adult responsibilities and they're competent at their jobs, but emotionally, they're still teenagers, and they both came to a point where they became emotionally dependent of each other because that's what's giving them the illusion of a normal life. Except that it's not, and as Padmé says during the Clovis arc, they've built themselves a web of lies and imprisoned themselves in it. Are they selfish when it comes to their relationship? Yes. But in literature, that's kind of the point of a certain category of star-crossed lovers who meet a tragic end: said tragic end is caused not only by stupid conventions imposed by society, but also by their own selfish actions. Other cases I can think of in media are Heathcliff and Cathy Sr., Rhaegar and Lyanna...

(And what I love about those stories is that whatever chaos they've caused is then fixed by yet another star-crossed couple, but this time with an unselfish love against all odds: Hareton and Cathy Jr., and probably Dany and Jon, and perhaps even Rey and Kylo Wink )

AOTC was all over the place with Anakin and Padmé, and it was as if Ol' Georgie didn't know what to do with them as well. I think their relationship was always meant to be dysfunctional, but George clearly couldn't handle it.

TCW fixed a lot of it, so I don't see why the new canon cannot continue the trend...

_________________

The stars wouldn't shine so bright without a little darkness.
GIF source: [X]


Bonjour ma cousine,
Bonjour mon cousin germain,
On m'a dit que vous m'aimiez,
Est-ce bien la vérité?
Je n'm'en soucie guère,
Je n'm'en soucie guère,
Passez par ici et vous par là,
Bonjour ma cousine et puis voilà!


Avatar source: [X]
avatar
Irina de France
Moderator

Messages : 1429
Likes : 7235
Date d'inscription : 2016-04-22
Age : 22
Localisation : Ottawa, Canada

http://cosetteskywalker.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Forces of Destiny web series

Post by SoloSideCousin on 11/13/2017, 4:22 pm

@Irina de France wrote:
@SoloSideCousin wrote:
@Irina de France wrote:I should maybe carry this to another thread, but I am so happy they're publishing a YA novel about Padmé because I am not big on how Lucasfilm has been treating her ever since Disney bought the franchise. There's little to no mention of her, except in Bloodline where you have Leia speculating about how she and Luke were conceived and... her thoughts are pretty horrifying, and you discover that she hasn't been trying to find out much about her biological mother. Looks like they finally caught up with Leia, Princess of Alderaan, but still.

Then there's Forces of Destiny: I was excited at first, because I knew we'd finally get to see some Padmé, but so far, her appearances have been pretty disappointing, and it's like they're always trying to make Ahsoka look better in comparison. Like, don't get me wrong, I love Ahsoka, but... gah, Padmé so far has pretty much been: "I'm preparing a party! Ahsoka points out something about how the table is set that I should have been the first person to notice because I'm the diplomat, thank the Force Ahsoka is around, and oh no! Someone trying to murder me! Thank you Ahsoka for saving the day while I help you a bit by hitting the murderer with a vase!" Also "Thanks for teaching me how to fly, Ahsoka!" Like, for the last episode, it gets better later on, but it's like they keep forgetting that Padmé ruled an entire planet from age 14 for 8 years, and people liked her so much they wanted her to stay longer, she was a great politician, she knew how to fight and how to use a blaster pretty efficiently, and she set the bases for the Rebellion (though George Lucas thought it was a good idea to cut those scenes, *sigh*).

Let's just say I hope the reason is not "Padmé's not a good enough role model for little girls because she's boring and she wears dresses".
@Irina de France

I don't think Padme's feminine style is the reason that Disney has been holding back on her. Disney is all about the Pretty Woman/Princess moment. I think the reason involved what you alluded to in the bolded.

IMO, GL took a hatchet to Padme after the first few minutes of AOTC and just never looked back. She starts off that movie surviving an assassination attempt and calling Anakin on his stalkerish tendencies to having, just a few scenes later, those weird, sexually undertoned scenes where she is wearing that leather corset dress (which could easily be found in a dominatrix's closet, which was seemingly incongruent with her presented character) while telling Anakin that they can't be together, *and* she does this *after* he reveals his dictatorship tendencies. Then she tells him she loves him *after* he kills an entire village and then marries him without saying another word about it. I'm not saying that she should have thrown him to the wolves or shouldn't have cared about him, but to marry him, in secret, without at least *some* showing that he was receiving help or had been put on leave, something, was just crazy. A woman of her stature didn't need to *marry* a guy like that. A woman of her stature could have demanded that he leave the Jedi because he wasn't a safe warrior and/or he should get himself mentally straight before she married him. GL denied her any credibility in that regard.

Then in ROTS, she is diminished further. GL took away all of her Rebel Alliance scenes. He took away her "almost stabs Anakin on Mustafar" scene. He makes her into a beautiful pregnant doll in most scenes. He literally makes her a powerless, actually fainting pawn between Anakin and Obi-Wan. He has Anakin choke her without giving her a second of defensive reaction. I mean she just stands there. She doesn't run towards him or fight back. Then worst of all, she "dies of a broken heart" when she has just been given two beautiful babies. Now maybe the Emperor was sucking her life force. I don't know. But it "looks like" she leaves her babies because she is too distraught over her husband, who has time and again showed he was a problematic partner at best.

IMO GL dug a massive hole, and Disney has a lot of cleaning up to do with Padme. It probably actually took them some time to figure out a credible reason why someone as accomplished and smart as Padme would do all the things she did from AOTC on. I honestly wouldn't be surprised in they threw in some Palpatine mental influencing because GL messed up so badly.
@SoloSideCousin

I don't understand for the life of me why George Lucas didn't ask for someone else to write the dialogue between Anakin and Padmé. I mean, Carrie Fisher was a script doctor for all 3 prequel movies, so frankly, either the dialogue would have been much, much worse without her (shudders), either whatever changes she'd suggest would have George wave his hand and stick to his guns. *LE SIGH*

TCW gives some hints here and there as to why Anakin and Padmé ended up together: it kind of seems as if they both grew up too fast. They both have very adult responsibilities and they're competent at their jobs, but emotionally, they're still teenagers, and they both came to a point where they became emotionally dependent of each other because that's what's giving them the illusion of a normal life. Except that it's not, and as Padmé says during the Clovis arc, they've built themselves a web of lies and imprisoned themselves in it. Are they selfish when it comes to their relationship? Yes. But in literature, that's kind of the point of a certain category of star-crossed lovers who meet a tragic end: said tragic end is caused not only by stupid conventions imposed by society, but also by their own selfish actions. Other cases I can think of in media are Heathcliff and Cathy Sr., Rhaegar and Lyanna...

(And what I love about those stories is that whatever chaos they've caused is then fixed by yet another star-crossed couple, but this time with an unselfish love against all odds: Hareton and Cathy Jr., and probably Dany and Jon, and perhaps even Rey and Kylo Wink )

AOTC was all over the place with Anakin and Padmé, and it was as if Ol' Georgie didn't know what to do with them as well. I think their relationship was always meant to be dysfunctional, but George clearly couldn't handle it.

TCW fixed a lot of it, so I don't see why the new canon cannot continue the trend...
@Irina de France

The part you mentioned in TCW actually makes quite a bit of progress on explaining the Anakin/Padme relationship. I saw the first few seasons of TCW, but not the ending ones. For a long time I wasn't even sure they were canon anymore, but now, like with Rebels, I am a few seasons behind.

I absolutely agree with you that Anakin/Padme were meant to be a "star-crossed" pair. Unfortunately, like you say, that story needed a defter hand than GL to handle that aspect and the above-mentioned immaturity aspect.

I completely agree with you that GL needed to get another writer in there. When I saw ROTS the first time, I literally said to my friend, "the writers from General Hospital would have made that couple dialogue 1000x better, *and* GL wouldn't even have had to pay them that much!!" To this day I stand by that statement. And imagine if he actually hired a more prestigious writer?

But I think that you put your finger on the problem when you wondered if GL just didn't listen to C.F.. I think that absolutely must have happened. Carrie never would have written some of those lines. See Postcards from the Edge. Her dialogue sparkles.

I think that this is the very reason that a lot of established Hollywood writers and directors steered clear of the prequels, because they knew GL wouldn't give them enough freedom. I know for a fact that Steven Spielberg turned him down. With no studio oversight GL was king, and he could have vetoed anything he wanted, like he did Gary Kurtz and LK in ROTJ, except 1000x worse.
avatar
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 3710
Likes : 16681
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Forces of Destiny web series

Post by CienaRee on 11/13/2017, 4:29 pm

@SoloSideCousin wrote:
@Irina de France wrote:
@SoloSideCousin wrote:
@Irina de France wrote:I should maybe carry this to another thread, but I am so happy they're publishing a YA novel about Padmé because I am not big on how Lucasfilm has been treating her ever since Disney bought the franchise. There's little to no mention of her, except in Bloodline where you have Leia speculating about how she and Luke were conceived and... her thoughts are pretty horrifying, and you discover that she hasn't been trying to find out much about her biological mother. Looks like they finally caught up with Leia, Princess of Alderaan, but still.

Then there's Forces of Destiny: I was excited at first, because I knew we'd finally get to see some Padmé, but so far, her appearances have been pretty disappointing, and it's like they're always trying to make Ahsoka look better in comparison. Like, don't get me wrong, I love Ahsoka, but... gah, Padmé so far has pretty much been: "I'm preparing a party! Ahsoka points out something about how the table is set that I should have been the first person to notice because I'm the diplomat, thank the Force Ahsoka is around, and oh no! Someone trying to murder me! Thank you Ahsoka for saving the day while I help you a bit by hitting the murderer with a vase!" Also "Thanks for teaching me how to fly, Ahsoka!" Like, for the last episode, it gets better later on, but it's like they keep forgetting that Padmé ruled an entire planet from age 14 for 8 years, and people liked her so much they wanted her to stay longer, she was a great politician, she knew how to fight and how to use a blaster pretty efficiently, and she set the bases for the Rebellion (though George Lucas thought it was a good idea to cut those scenes, *sigh*).

Let's just say I hope the reason is not "Padmé's not a good enough role model for little girls because she's boring and she wears dresses".
@Irina de France

I don't think Padme's feminine style is the reason that Disney has been holding back on her. Disney is all about the Pretty Woman/Princess moment. I think the reason involved what you alluded to in the bolded.

IMO, GL took a hatchet to Padme after the first few minutes of AOTC and just never looked back. She starts off that movie surviving an assassination attempt and calling Anakin on his stalkerish tendencies to having, just a few scenes later, those weird, sexually undertoned scenes where she is wearing that leather corset dress (which could easily be found in a dominatrix's closet, which was seemingly incongruent with her presented character) while telling Anakin that they can't be together, *and* she does this *after* he reveals his dictatorship tendencies. Then she tells him she loves him *after* he kills an entire village and then marries him without saying another word about it. I'm not saying that she should have thrown him to the wolves or shouldn't have cared about him, but to marry him, in secret, without at least *some* showing that he was receiving help or had been put on leave, something, was just crazy. A woman of her stature didn't need to *marry* a guy like that. A woman of her stature could have demanded that he leave the Jedi because he wasn't a safe warrior and/or he should get himself mentally straight before she married him. GL denied her any credibility in that regard.

Then in ROTS, she is diminished further. GL took away all of her Rebel Alliance scenes. He took away her "almost stabs Anakin on Mustafar" scene. He makes her into a beautiful pregnant doll in most scenes. He literally makes her a powerless, actually fainting pawn between Anakin and Obi-Wan. He has Anakin choke her without giving her a second of defensive reaction. I mean she just stands there. She doesn't run towards him or fight back. Then worst of all, she "dies of a broken heart" when she has just been given two beautiful babies. Now maybe the Emperor was sucking her life force. I don't know. But it "looks like" she leaves her babies because she is too distraught over her husband, who has time and again showed he was a problematic partner at best.

IMO GL dug a massive hole, and Disney has a lot of cleaning up to do with Padme. It probably actually took them some time to figure out a credible reason why someone as accomplished and smart as Padme would do all the things she did from AOTC on. I honestly wouldn't be surprised in they threw in some Palpatine mental influencing because GL messed up so badly.
@SoloSideCousin

I don't understand for the life of me why George Lucas didn't ask for someone else to write the dialogue between Anakin and Padmé. I mean, Carrie Fisher was a script doctor for all 3 prequel movies, so frankly, either the dialogue would have been much, much worse without her (shudders), either whatever changes she'd suggest would have George wave his hand and stick to his guns. *LE SIGH*

TCW gives some hints here and there as to why Anakin and Padmé ended up together: it kind of seems as if they both grew up too fast. They both have very adult responsibilities and they're competent at their jobs, but emotionally, they're still teenagers, and they both came to a point where they became emotionally dependent of each other because that's what's giving them the illusion of a normal life. Except that it's not, and as Padmé says during the Clovis arc, they've built themselves a web of lies and imprisoned themselves in it. Are they selfish when it comes to their relationship? Yes. But in literature, that's kind of the point of a certain category of star-crossed lovers who meet a tragic end: said tragic end is caused not only by stupid conventions imposed by society, but also by their own selfish actions. Other cases I can think of in media are Heathcliff and Cathy Sr., Rhaegar and Lyanna...

(And what I love about those stories is that whatever chaos they've caused is then fixed by yet another star-crossed couple, but this time with an unselfish love against all odds: Hareton and Cathy Jr., and probably Dany and Jon, and perhaps even Rey and Kylo Wink )

AOTC was all over the place with Anakin and Padmé, and it was as if Ol' Georgie didn't know what to do with them as well. I think their relationship was always meant to be dysfunctional, but George clearly couldn't handle it.

TCW fixed a lot of it, so I don't see why the new canon cannot continue the trend...
@Irina de France

The part you mentioned in TCW actually makes quite a bit of progress on explaining the Anakin/Padme relationship. I saw the first few seasons of TCW, but not the ending ones. For a long time I wasn't even sure they were canon anymore, but now, like with Rebels, I am a few seasons behind.

I absolutely agree with you that Anakin/Padme were meant to be a "star-crossed" pair. Unfortunately, like you say, that story needed a defter hand than GL to handle that aspect and the above-mentioned immaturity aspect.

I completely agree with you that GL needed to get another writer in there. When I saw ROTS the first time, I literally said to my friend, "the writers from General Hospital would have made that couple dialogue 1000x better, *and* GL wouldn't even have had to pay them that much!!" To this day I stand by that statement. And imagine if he actually hired a more prestigious writer?

But I think that you put your finger on the problem when you wondered if GL just didn't listen to C.F.. I think that absolutely must have happened. Carrie never would have written some of those lines. See Postcards from the Edge. Her dialogue sparkles.

I think that this is the very reason that a lot of established Hollywood writers and directors steered clear of the prequels, because they knew GL wouldn't give them enough freedom. I know for a fact that Steven Spielberg turned him down. With no studio oversight GL was king, and he could have vetoed anything he wanted, like he did Gary Kurtz and LK in ROTJ, except 1000x worse.
@SoloSideCousin

It's really frustrating since his ideas about the PT were actually good and the trilogy had the potential to be better than the OT but the execution just wasn't good and Anakin and Padme's relationship which could have been interesting and layered was just wasted.Sad

CienaRee
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Messages : 986
Likes : 4882
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Forces of Destiny web series

Post by panki on 11/14/2017, 12:15 am

I always felt Padme's character was completely wasted in the PT. She was a little interesting in TCW, where they show glimpses of her bravery and espionage skills, something Leis inherited as well.

Padme suffers from the same problems a lot of the girlfriends/wives of superheroes face- that they are attracted to this super guy who is like nobody else, saves their live many times over etc (think Superman saving Lois Lane by even reversing time) but also have to deal with their emotional baggage.

Anakin 'flying pear' Skywalker impressed her with all his bravado, unlike the quieter boyfriends she had before, even if they loved her just as much... they're both really young at the end of the day, and that side of her took over when it came to falling in love. I don't think that is necessarily the bad thing....it was just the surrounding circumstances that didn't help matters such as Anakin's mother recently being killed, the clone wars keeping them apart for most of their marriage, Palpatine's machinations, the jedi council's lack of empathy (particularly Mace) and the pregnancy.

If Padme wasn't pregnant so early into their marriage and they actually got to spend time together in a normal life, maybe in time they would have matured in their relationship and taken less emotional decisions.We see shades of it in TCW.  

The only way I can see them fixing this mess is to maybe show that some Naboo custom prevented senators from being married (which would work since neither Palps or Jar Jar weren't married) hence Padme was forced to keep the marriage a secret, or that Palps used some mental manipulation since he foresaw Anakin and Padme having powerful children.

I also think they need to explain Padme's death better.... I like the idea it was the result of a force drain to keep Anakin alive. It makes little sense for a leader who helped free her planet, escape assassination attempts, etc to just give up and die....wouldn't she have gone to her parents and family, taken their support and tried to bring up the children as best she could? The book might need to also explain why her parents and extended family weren't around for her pregnancy, yet they were all present at her funeral....was there a falling out after her secret marriage?

Now I am hoping we get a Shmi YA novel before episode 9 is released.....that is a character who got even worse treatment than Padme.

_________________


We are the spark, that’ll light the fire, that’ll burn the First Order down.
avatar
panki
Moderator

Messages : 3141
Likes : 11626
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-24

http://starwarstheorist.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Forces of Destiny web series

Post by SoloSideCousin on 11/14/2017, 4:08 am

@panki wrote:I always felt Padme's character was completely wasted in the PT. She was a little interesting in TCW, where they show glimpses of her bravery and espionage skills, something Leis inherited as well.

Padme suffers from the same problems a lot of the girlfriends/wives of superheroes face- that they are attracted to this super guy who is like nobody else, saves their live many times over etc (think Superman saving Lois Lane by even reversing time) but also have to deal with their emotional baggage.

Anakin 'flying pear' Skywalker impressed her with all his bravado, unlike the quieter boyfriends she had before, even if they loved her just as much... they're both really young at the end of the day, and that side of her took over when it came to falling in love. I don't think that is necessarily the bad thing....it was just the surrounding circumstances that didn't help matters such as Anakin's mother recently being killed, the clone wars keeping them apart for most of their marriage, Palpatine's machinations, the jedi council's lack of empathy (particularly Mace) and the pregnancy.

If Padme wasn't pregnant so early into their marriage and they actually got to spend time together in a normal life, maybe in time they would have matured in their relationship and taken less emotional decisions.We see shades of it in TCW.  

The only way I can see them fixing this mess is to maybe show that some Naboo custom prevented senators from being married (which would work since neither Palps or Jar Jar weren't married) hence Padme was forced to keep the marriage a secret, or that Palps used some mental manipulation since he foresaw Anakin and Padme having powerful children.

I also think they need to explain Padme's death better.... I like the idea it was the result of a force drain to keep Anakin alive. It makes little sense for a leader who helped free her planet, escape assassination attempts, etc to just give up and die....wouldn't she have gone to her parents and family, taken their support and tried to bring up the children as best she could? The book might need to also explain why her parents and extended family weren't around for her pregnancy, yet they were all present at her funeral....was there a falling out after her secret marriage?

Now I am hoping we get a Shmi YA novel before episode 9 is released.....that is a character who got even worse treatment than Padme.
@panki

Actually a Shmi book would be incredibly cool. That actress, Pernella August, and Ewan McGregor were the absolute best aspects of TPM. I remember when ROTS came out that I imagined this whole backstory headcanon for Shmi, lol. The possibilities for her are huge, because she is the tie to the ancient Skywalker line. I always just loved her character too. She was just so quietly strong and was such a good influence on Anakin. He never would have gone wrong IMO had he stayed with Shmi.

avatar
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 3710
Likes : 16681
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Forces of Destiny web series

Post by Mana on 11/14/2017, 5:03 am

Wow....there's a TON of story possibilities they could come up with for Shmi!!!!
Was she always a slave? Where did she live and what was she doing before she concieved Anakin? Why was she 'chosen' to carry the 'chosen one'? What happened to the rest of the Skywalkers?

Shmi is a gold mine because people are invested in her as Anakin's mother and as the one that started it all. I can't believe we don't know more about her yet!!!


Last edited by Mana on 11/14/2017, 5:33 am; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Mana
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1334
Likes : 11382
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26
Age : 25
Localisation : Australia

Back to top Go down

Re: Forces of Destiny web series

Post by Kessel on 11/14/2017, 5:16 am

I agree, Shmi would be a great choice for a novel.

I don't know if LF/Disney want to explore Anakins's conception, but it's something they could elaborate on, but still leave some mystery (since we know almost nothing about it). There's many other things a Shmi novel could explore besides Anakin's conception as well.
avatar
Kessel
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1164
Likes : 9073
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Forces of Destiny web series

Post by CienaRee on 11/14/2017, 6:46 am

@panki wrote:I always felt Padme's character was completely wasted in the PT. She was a little interesting in TCW, where they show glimpses of her bravery and espionage skills, something Leis inherited as well.

Padme suffers from the same problems a lot of the girlfriends/wives of superheroes face- that they are attracted to this super guy who is like nobody else, saves their live many times over etc (think Superman saving Lois Lane by even reversing time) but also have to deal with their emotional baggage.

Anakin 'flying pear' Skywalker impressed her with all his bravado, unlike the quieter boyfriends she had before, even if they loved her just as much... they're both really young at the end of the day, and that side of her took over when it came to falling in love. I don't think that is necessarily the bad thing....it was just the surrounding circumstances that didn't help matters such as Anakin's mother recently being killed, the clone wars keeping them apart for most of their marriage, Palpatine's machinations, the jedi council's lack of empathy (particularly Mace) and the pregnancy.

If Padme wasn't pregnant so early into their marriage and they actually got to spend time together in a normal life, maybe in time they would have matured in their relationship and taken less emotional decisions.We see shades of it in TCW.  

The only way I can see them fixing this mess is to maybe show that some Naboo custom prevented senators from being married (which would work since neither Palps or Jar Jar weren't married) hence Padme was forced to keep the marriage a secret, or that Palps used some mental manipulation since he foresaw Anakin and Padme having powerful children.

I also think they need to explain Padme's death better.... I like the idea it was the result of a force drain to keep Anakin alive. It makes little sense for a leader who helped free her planet, escape assassination attempts, etc to just give up and die....wouldn't she have gone to her parents and family, taken their support and tried to bring up the children as best she could? The book might need to also explain why her parents and extended family weren't around for her pregnancy, yet they were all present at her funeral....was there a falling out after her secret marriage?

Now I am hoping we get a Shmi YA novel before episode 9 is released.....that is a character who got even worse treatment than Padme.
@panki

Right?It never made sense to me that Padme would loose the will to live when she had children to take care of AND believed there was still good in Anakin.You would think these would be huge motivations for Padme to live but GL needed to explain her not being in the OT so he came with this BS since he didn't want Anakin to have actually kill her which is even more BS since he ha him kill children FFS.

CienaRee
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Messages : 986
Likes : 4882
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Forces of Destiny web series

Post by ISeeAnIsland on 11/14/2017, 10:51 am

The whole dying-of-a-broken-heart thing is by far the biggest issue that I have with what they did with Padme's character. I can understand letting your hormones run away with you/overruling your logic at her age (been there, done that), but geez, as someone who has gone through childbirth, I get infuriated by Lucas having a strong woman like Padme die because of Anakin right after giving birth to those beautiful twins. I can't think of a bigger eyeroll moment for me in any other movie.

I prefer to believe in the Palpatine-Force-drain theory (or Palpatine working behind the scenes in some way) to cause Padme's death. It makes more sense than the on-screen story.
avatar
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 4707
Likes : 24748
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25
Localisation : Seattle, WA

Back to top Go down

Re: Forces of Destiny web series

Post by Irina de France on 11/14/2017, 10:58 am

@ISeeAnIsland wrote:The whole dying-of-a-broken-heart thing is by far the biggest issue that I have with what they did with Padme's character. I can understand letting your hormones run away with you/overruling your logic at her age (been there, done that), but geez, as someone who has gone through childbirth, I get infuriated by Lucas having a strong woman like Padme die because of Anakin right after giving birth to those beautiful twins. I can't think of a bigger eyeroll moment for me in any other movie.

I prefer to believe in the Palpatine-Force-drain theory (or Palpatine working behind the scenes in some way) to cause Padme's death. It makes more sense than the on-screen story.
@ISeeAnIsland

I really hope we get a confirmation one day that the Force Drain is canon, though I kind of doubt it at this point. Lucasfilm/Disney can afford giving Ol' Georgie the lucky finger about that at this point, though.

But yeah, Padmé's death feels like George Lucas just told himself: "Quick! I need to make Padmé die because she isn't supposed to be around by the time of ANH and I need to come up with a good reason as to why Vader and Palpy never found out about her and Leia and Luke! Quick, write something!" So yeah, just write something quick and stupid and see if that works. Kind of like Lyra Erso in R1. It's like they didn't know what to do with her so they made her die in a pretty stupid way, while the smart thing to do was to let Galen leave with Krennic since the Imperials need him alive, stay with Jyn and get saved by Saw, and eventually figure out a way of getting to Galen again. *eyeroll*

_________________

The stars wouldn't shine so bright without a little darkness.
GIF source: [X]


Bonjour ma cousine,
Bonjour mon cousin germain,
On m'a dit que vous m'aimiez,
Est-ce bien la vérité?
Je n'm'en soucie guère,
Je n'm'en soucie guère,
Passez par ici et vous par là,
Bonjour ma cousine et puis voilà!


Avatar source: [X]
avatar
Irina de France
Moderator

Messages : 1429
Likes : 7235
Date d'inscription : 2016-04-22
Age : 22
Localisation : Ottawa, Canada

http://cosetteskywalker.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Forces of Destiny web series

Post by ISeeAnIsland on 11/14/2017, 2:34 pm

@Irina de France wrote:
@ISeeAnIsland wrote:The whole dying-of-a-broken-heart thing is by far the biggest issue that I have with what they did with Padme's character. I can understand letting your hormones run away with you/overruling your logic at her age (been there, done that), but geez, as someone who has gone through childbirth, I get infuriated by Lucas having a strong woman like Padme die because of Anakin right after giving birth to those beautiful twins. I can't think of a bigger eyeroll moment for me in any other movie.

I prefer to believe in the Palpatine-Force-drain theory (or Palpatine working behind the scenes in some way) to cause Padme's death. It makes more sense than the on-screen story.
@ISeeAnIsland

I really hope we get a confirmation one day that the Force Drain is canon, though I kind of doubt it at this point. Lucasfilm/Disney can afford giving Ol' Georgie the lucky finger about that at this point, though.

But yeah, Padmé's death feels like George Lucas just told himself: "Quick! I need to make Padmé die because she isn't supposed to be around by the time of ANH and I need to come up with a good reason as to why Vader and Palpy never found out about her and Leia and Luke! Quick, write something!" So yeah, just write something quick and stupid and see if that works. Kind of like Lyra Erso in R1. It's like they didn't know what to do with her so they made her die in a pretty stupid way, while the smart thing to do was to let Galen leave with Krennic since the Imperials need him alive, stay with Jyn and get saved by Saw, and eventually figure out a way of getting to Galen again. *eyeroll*
@Irina de France

Oh gawd, don't get me started on Lyra! Especially after the characterization that we saw for her in Catalyst. Like, she suddenly somehow got stupid/suicidal between Catalyst and RO???
avatar
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 4707
Likes : 24748
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25
Localisation : Seattle, WA

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum