Discussions: Tweets/Instagram

Page 17 of 40 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 28 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Discussions: Tweets/Instagram

Post by Kessel on Tue 8 Aug - 21:24

nemapasara wrote:
Thank you, Matt Martin!
@nemapasara

I wish this response was around a year and a half ago. So many antis grasped onto that FB hearsay post as if it were gospel.

I always thought it seemed unlikely that JJ would intentionally depict a scene as a rape allegory, no matter what was said between him and the man's wife.
Kessel
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by nemapasara on Tue 8 Aug - 21:24

IoJovi wrote:

This is fantastic!!!

Now if we can prevent the more persistent Reylos from taking this as an opening to bombard Matt with further questions, I'll be happy... Laughing
@IoJovi

YES. The one thing I really appreciated about this question was that they didn't frame it in a shipper-y way one bit.
nemapasara
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened on Tue 8 Aug - 21:52

Guys, I need a clarification:

Was this FB crap only source mentioning JJ and rape?

I know we spoke a lot of it, but I can't remember exactly where it was mentioned?

Back to top Go down

Post by nemapasara on Tue 8 Aug - 21:57

Darth_Awakened wrote:Guys, I need a clarification:

I know we spoke a lot of it, but I can't remember exactly where it was mentioned?
@Darth_Awakened

It was only ever the Facebook post and that post was deleted before I even heard about it and I heard about it over a year ago. I've never seen a screencap of the original post either.
nemapasara
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Xylo Ren on Tue 8 Aug - 21:59

Wow, you mean they didn't put a rape allegory in a Star Wars film?

Almost like it's made for kids. Or something. Rolling Eyes
Xylo Ren
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened on Tue 8 Aug - 22:01

nemapasara wrote:

@Darth_Awakened

It was only ever the Facebook post and that post was deleted before I even heard about it and I heard about it over a year ago. I've never seen a screencap of the original post either.
@nemapasara

Thanks!

I also only heard about it. That's why I'am asking. I was convinced it was a part of an interview or something similar (more official in any case).

Now I really do feel fantastic!

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Tue 8 Aug - 22:08

Darth_Awakened wrote:
nemapasara wrote:

@Darth_Awakened

@nemapasara

Thanks!

I also only heard about it. That's why I'am asking. I was convinced it was a part of an interview or something similar (more official in any case).

@Darth_Awakened

My understanding was that it only ever appeared in that Facebook post, and it was simply a retelling of what JJ supposedly told them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened on Tue 8 Aug - 22:12

ISeeAnIsland wrote:
Darth_Awakened wrote:
nemapasara wrote:

@Darth_Awakened

@nemapasara

Thanks!

@Darth_Awakened

My understanding was that it only ever appeared in that Facebook post, and it was simply a retelling of what JJ supposedly told them.
@ISeeAnIsland

I was completely convinced it was a part of an JJ interview, given how it was spread everywhere as a FACT.
Also, I know we were collectively afraid of JJ commentary in regard to that.
Instead of it - we got a prince!

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria Antonietta on Tue 8 Aug - 22:15

God, I cringe every time I read this bull crap
Maria Antonietta
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Acritiqua on Tue 8 Aug - 23:00

Since I'm here when this has come up again, I want to state my opinion that I can see it in the subtext of the scene. That doesn't mean I'm an "Anti." I'm glad that it was not universally interpreted that way by the story group. Although if they don't see it at all it makes me wonder if they also don't see all the things I could view as attraction between Kylo and Rey. It's all so confusing. But also to say that anyone did see that in the subtext in the scene would be like saying Rey and Kylo are not related because I doubt they'd put any attraction between them in if they are related, since doing Luke/Leia again seems like a terrible idea (probably to them too).

My problem with all of this is about the "you know I can take whatever I want line" and how they must know where a lot of people's minds will go.  This makes MM's response strange. It reminds me of how he doesn't understand shipping.

I'll consider that FB statement "debunked" though.
Acritiqua
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Tue 8 Aug - 23:19

There is no purposeful r*** subtext in that scene.  Yes, Rey is strapped to a chair and she is crying, but they are on opposite sides of a war and Kylo is trying to get the map.  It has nothing to do with r***.  

There IS sexual subtext however, and with Rey being strapped to a chair I can see how one might get the two confused.  However, these are seperate elements.  Kylo is standing oh so close to her staring at her lips, and Rey gives him the elevator eyes twice when he unmasks.  Then cue the heavy breathing and the heartbeat in the back ground. And if we're talking about mind r***, well, she does it right back to him...

Back to top Go down

Post by Saracene on Tue 8 Aug - 23:22

If one is looking for a rape allegory in a family film, Maleficent is a more likely candidate.

Thing is, when someone sets out to portray an allegory with some specific action, as a rule they don't mix it up in the same film. In Maleficent, you don't see the villain cut off a male fairy's wings before he does it to Maleficent, or Maleficent cut off the villain's wings in return.
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://yggdrasille.com

Back to top Go down

Post by WhatGirl on Wed 9 Aug - 0:04

nemapasara wrote:

@Darth_Awakened

@nemapasara

I've actually seen the post, at the original source. It was still around when I saw it, sometime last year, when someone posted a link on tumblr.

The woman's story is simply that - a story. There was absolutely no evidence and what she claims to have happened seems highly unlikely, such as her having JJ's personal number. Come on.
WhatGirl
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Wed 9 Aug - 0:10

WhatGirl wrote:
nemapasara wrote:

@Darth_Awakened

@nemapasara

I've actually seen the post, at the original source. It was still around when I saw it, sometime last year, when someone posted a link on tumblr.

The woman's story is simply that - a story. There was absolutely no evidence and what she claims to have happened seems highly unlikely, such as her having JJ's personal number. Come on.
@WhatGirl

I saw it straight from the source last year too, and quickly realized there was nothing to see there. I haven't given it a second thought since. That, and JJ's DVD commentary says the exact opposite of what the woman claimed, so there's that too...

Back to top Go down

Post by nemapasara on Wed 9 Aug - 0:29

IoJovi wrote:
WhatGirl wrote:
nemapasara wrote:

@Darth_Awakened

@nemapasara

@WhatGirl

I saw it straight from the source last year too, and quickly realized there was nothing to see there. I haven't given it a second thought since. That, and JJ's DVD commentary says the exact opposite of what the woman claimed, so there's that too...
@IoJovi

Thanks for clearing it up! It's always seemed like a fishy story.
nemapasara
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Acritiqua on Wed 9 Aug - 1:46

IoJovi wrote:There is no purposeful r*** subtext in that scene.  Yes, Rey is strapped to a chair and she is crying, but they are on opposite sides of a war and Kylo is trying to get the map.  It has nothing to do with r***.  

There IS sexual subtext however, and with Rey being strapped to a chair I can see how one might get the two confused.  However, these are seperate elements.  Kylo is standing oh so close to her staring at her lips, and Rey gives him the elevator eyes twice when he unmasks.  Then cue the heavy breathing and the heartbeat in the back ground.   And if we're talking about mind r***, well, she does it right back to him...
@IoJovi
I don't think it's known for certain there isn't a purposeful thought of that in the scene. If you're making the movie and you put a line like "I can take whatever I want" into that scene given that she's strapped down and he's in her personal space and the intimacy of the scene it's difficult for this to never occur to you. So at the very least I would think that people thought of this (and then they chose to leave it in). That doesn't mean that they meant the scene as a **** allegory. I never thought the scene was a statement about r***. And maybe I'm even communicating badly by using the word "subtext." Sexual attraction between them would definitely be subtext (has anyone asked THAT question - though I imagine Pablo and Matt wouldn't answer that question). But perhaps I mean more putting two things together in a context - which that may not be subtext. I don't know if there is a better word for it.

Anyway if the people who made TFA knew some people would ponder the scene in this way that doesn't mean that the scene is officially about r***, nor does it mean that liking Rey and Kylo = supporting r***, no matter how many jerks on the internet have used that bad argument to try to shame people out of their shipping interests.
Acritiqua
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Wed 9 Aug - 2:05

@Acritiqua I always interpreted it as Kylo not understanding or being aware of his attraction to Rey, even though it is clearly there for the audience to see. I doubt he's had that attraction to anyone in his life, so it's very logical that he wouldn't recognize it for himself when it happens.

That is very, very different from him having fantasies of r***, even as subtext.

Sure you know I can take whatever I want could have that kind of subtext, but going back to my point, I highly doubt that's what he meant. If anything, I see it as peacocking on his part. He's making a show of his power to make up for his lack of confidence, which is very apparent in that scene, especially towards the end. And more to the point, this is Star Wars. This is Disney. Those allegories don't apply here and Matt confirmed that.

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Wed 9 Aug - 2:32

IoJovi wrote:@Acritiqua I always interpreted it as Kylo not understanding or being aware of his attraction to Rey, even though it is clearly there for the audience to see. I doubt he's had that attraction to anyone in his life, so it's very logical that he wouldn't recognize it for himself when it happens.

That is very, very different from him having fantasies of r***, even as subtext.

Sure you know I can take whatever I want could have that kind of subtext, but going back to my point, I highly doubt that's what he meant. If anything, I see it as peacocking on his part. He's making a show of his power to make up for his lack of confidence, which is very apparent in that scene, especially towards the end. And more to the point, this is Star Wars. This is Disney. Those allegories don't apply here and Matt confirmed that.

@IoJovi

Right. Plus, I've always thought that the "I can take whatever I want" line was largely a setup for Rey to snap back at him, "I'm not giving you anything."

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Wed 9 Aug - 2:43

Sorry for the DP, but this needed to be shared, in case you haven't seen it:

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Wed 9 Aug - 2:46

ISeeAnIsland wrote:Sorry for the DP, but this needed to be shared, in case you haven't seen it:

@ISeeAnIsland

Oh this is precious... lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by nemapasara on Wed 9 Aug - 2:50

ISeeAnIsland wrote:Sorry for the DP, but this needed to be shared, in case you haven't seen it:

@ISeeAnIsland

Is @Maria Antonietta alive? Laughing
nemapasara
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Wed 9 Aug - 2:56

nemapasara wrote:

@ISeeAnIsland

@nemapasara

I think she's probably a puddle on the floor right now. Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Acritiqua on Wed 9 Aug - 5:15

IoJovi wrote:@Acritiqua I always interpreted it as Kylo not understanding or being aware of his attraction to Rey, even though it is clearly there for the audience to see. I doubt he's had that attraction to anyone in his life, so it's very logical that he wouldn't recognize it for himself when it happens.

I don't think Kylo was fantasizing about r****** Rey. I think that idea is ridiculous. And again, I don't think it's an allegory.
Acritiqua
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyla Ren on Wed 9 Aug - 5:22

nemapasara wrote:
ISeeAnIsland wrote:
SoloSideCousin wrote:
panki wrote:
motherofpearl1 wrote:
Kessel wrote:
panki wrote:I want a porg plushy!!! Tire langue L
@panki

Yes, me too! Smile They are absolutely adorable.
@Kessel

If they fly....
I really hope they don't leave a few 'deposits' on Kylo's cloak. Shocked
@motherofpearl1

I would love to see a bunch of them stubbornly standing on Kylo's cloak and 'traveling' with him as he stomps around the island....and making sounds like some weird chorus everytime he chats up Rey  Razz
@panki

LOL!!! That reminds me of 80s American sitcoms.  When two characters kissed there would be "laugh track" and/or studio audience reaction with all these whistles and "oooohhhs".  The porgs will be like, "Awwww, he's making his move now." Very Happy LOL!
@SoloSideCousin

Remember, Carrie Fisher did say that Adam/Kylo did have one big comedic scene in TLJ. It's probably a safe bet that it involves Porgs.
@ISeeAnIsland

Adam himself said that TLJ is funny. I'd love porg humour. I love the idea that they see the innate goodness in him and end up imprinting on him or something.
@nemapasara

I didn't know Adam said that TLJ would be funny. Smile  Do you remember where he said it or have a link to the interview? Smile
Kyla Ren
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria Antonietta on Wed 9 Aug - 6:16

ISeeAnIsland wrote:
nemapasara wrote:

@ISeeAnIsland

@nemapasara

I think she's probably a puddle on the floor right now. Laughing
@ISeeAnIsland

I'm feeling good lol!
Maria Antonietta
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 40 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 28 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top