Discussion: Spoilers/Rumors

Page 4 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Discussion: Spoilers/Rumors

Post by Mrs Ben Solo on Thu 20 Jul - 0:00

@snufkin According to Rian TLJ is not going to be dark anyway...

“The automatic temptation is to say, ‘well it’s a middle chapter, so it’s got kind of that Empire thing.’ But at the same time, I really wanted to maintain the same sense of fun that J.J. [Abrams] had in The Force Awakens, that to some extent in Return Of The Jedi, which I was like 10 years old, that was prime for me when that came out, and the sense of playfulness, I think. So when I say Empire, I guess I don’t want to give the impression that it’s kind of a dark, gloom and doom. It was also really important to me that this was a fun adventure. I don’t know, it’s a mixed bag of a lot of different stuff. And hopefully some unique stuff too.”
Mrs Ben Solo
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ladyconsular on Thu 20 Jul - 0:04

Mrs Ben Solo wrote:@snufkin According to Rian TLJ is not going to be dark anyway...

“The automatic temptation is to say, ‘well it’s a middle chapter, so it’s got kind of that Empire thing.’ But at the same time, I really wanted to maintain the same sense of fun that J.J. [Abrams] had in The Force Awakens, that to some extent in Return Of The Jedi, which I was like 10 years old, that was prime for me when that came out, and the sense of playfulness, I think. So when I say Empire, I guess I don’t want to give the impression that it’s kind of a dark, gloom and doom. It was also really important to me that this was a fun adventure. I don’t know, it’s a mixed bag of a lot of different stuff. And hopefully some unique stuff too.”
@Mrs Ben Solo

Never really felt this trilogy was going the prequel route, so this is very pleasing news for me that I was unaware of before!

ladyconsular
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Saracene on Thu 20 Jul - 0:09

Kessel wrote:
Mrs Ben Solo wrote:
Saracene wrote:To be honest I’m torn on whether I want a Leia/Kylo reunion scene. On paper it sounds amazing, but going by TFA I just don’t know if Carrie’s acting chops would be up to it (yes she was an amazing lady but her personal struggles clearly took their toll). But then whatever her acting level is in TLJ, the fact that this is her last appearance ever in the series is going to cast an emotional tint. But then I don’t know whether I could really turn off my analytical side.
@Saracene

Carrie could do stoic and tearful well enough. To be honest, in this kind of mother and son reunion scene, I imagine AD would have to do most of the heavy lifting anyway, and we know he's more than capable of that.
@Mrs Ben Solo

This. I used to have concerns about Carrie's acting in such an emotionally charged scene too, however, a scene between Kylo and Leia likely requires more of Kylo acting/emoting, with Leia reacting. Adam can definitely carry it if needed.
@Kessel

These are good points. Another issue for me though is that so far, Leia is the only one who is actually invested in the mother/son relationship, whereas for Kylo in TFA, his mother might as well have not existed. They can’t really leave it the same in TLJ and then have an emotional mother/son reunion, like all of a sudden Kylo cares about his mother.

It’s obviously not an issue for many people on this forum, but reading the comments in other places, it’s really striking how little sense many people seem to have of Kylo being the son of their favourite heroes. It’s a big mistake on the part of the filmmakers to assume that they can just go, this guy here is the son of the characters you really love, and then expect people to be automatically emotionally invested and moved.
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://yggdrasille.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Thu 20 Jul - 0:16

Cowgirlsamurai wrote:@snufkin

There is that shot of Luke in his new duds looking like he's going somewhere, while Rey's off to the side in her "old" clothes. Is he leaving her home alone? Wink
@Cowgirlsamurai

The "rain fight" spoilers always had Rey and Kylo fighting while Luke fought off a group of MiB. But I've always wondered if those could actually be two separate scenes, given the reliability of the eyewitnesses involved.

I think it could be super interesting (just from a tension standpoint) if Luke left Rey alone for even a few hours (maybe to head off to another island or something?), and Rey and Kylo have their big rain fight while no one else is involved, including no intervention from Luke.

So, by the time that Luke shows back up, Rey and Kylo would have already had to have made their truce, and Luke walks into that situation off-guard.

Back to top Go down

Post by ReyofLightSide on Thu 20 Jul - 0:19

snufkin wrote:Hmm, total speculation but perhaps after what happens on Ache-to, Rey alone returns with Chewie to find Leia and deliver the sad news that her brother won't be joining them. And then a la the first movie, guess who decides to show up?

I mean, at some point he has to have this moment, right? A lot of the theorizing about whatever happened in the Force vision with him skewering somebody to save Rey is essentially thinking that it's the same moment where that type of character (and father and son no less) make the choice to stop being a selfish a** and come to the aid of somebody they've started to care about. And in this situation, it'd be an unexpected shock. Though the whole point really is that Leia wants him to "come back" and Rey is the person who can make this happen.
@snufkin

Maybe the Silencer does show up for the scene we were discussing- someone shoots the TIE fighter to clear the way for the MF.

Last edited by ReyofLightSide on Thu 20 Jul - 0:21; edited 1 time in total
ReyofLightSide
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by ladyconsular on Thu 20 Jul - 0:19

ISeeAnIsland wrote:

There is that shot of Luke in his new duds looking like he's going somewhere, while Rey's off to the side in her "old" clothes. Is he leaving her home alone? Wink
@Cowgirlsamurai

The "rain fight" spoilers always had Rey and Kylo fighting while Luke fought off a group of MiB. But I've always wondered if those could actually be two separate scenes, given the reliability of the eyewitnesses involved.

I think it could be super interesting (just from a tension standpoint) if Luke left Rey alone for even a few hours (maybe to head off to another island or something?), and Rey and Kylo have their big rain fight while no one else is involved, including no intervention from Luke.

So, by the time that Luke shows back up, Rey and Kylo would have already had to have made their truce, and Luke walks into that situation off-guard.
@ISeeAnIsland

That would make sense. Luke leaves Rey because maybe he sensed something (the Knights) and then as she's keeping watch, Kylo appears behind her.

The mask still confuses me. Didn't we see Kylo with something burning behind him in the trailer? No mask there either.

ladyconsular
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin on Thu 20 Jul - 0:23

ladyconsular wrote:
ISeeAnIsland wrote:

@Cowgirlsamurai

@ISeeAnIsland

That would make sense. Luke leaves Rey because maybe he sensed something (the Knights) and then as she's keeping watch, Kylo appears behind her.

The mask still confuses me. Didn't we see Kylo with something burning behind him in the trailer? No mask there either.
@ladyconsular

Exploding hut? If Luke has the power to vaporize things, then maybe fire is involved? There does seem to be quite a bit of fire in this movie.
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Thu 20 Jul - 0:32

If the Kylo-Leia reunion takes place early on D'Qar, and Leia willingly gives him the map, I can think of a few scenarios as to why that might happen:

* If Luke really is "dark" in some way and was responsible for Ben's fall, perhaps Kylo can convince Leia of this and to give him the map so that Rey doesn't suffer the same fate as he did.
* If the first Jedi temple contains something that can be used to take down Snoke (if Kylo has turned on Snoke this early, which is probably doubtful), Kylo can explain this to Leia.

Back to top Go down

Post by ladyconsular on Thu 20 Jul - 0:33

SoloSideCousin wrote:
ladyconsular wrote:
ISeeAnIsland wrote:

@Cowgirlsamurai

@ISeeAnIsland

@ladyconsular

Exploding hut? If Luke has the power to vaporize things, then maybe fire is involved? There does seem to be quite a bit of fire in this movie.
@SoloSideCousin

Oh right! I forgot about that scene! He seems to be less ready to fight and more unsure based on the way his shoulder droops in that scene too. Whoever he is preparing to fight is not reacting maybe.

ladyconsular
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sacrebleu on Thu 20 Jul - 0:38

Saracene wrote:It’s obviously not an issue for many people on this forum, but reading the comments in other places, it’s really striking how little sense many people seem to have of Kylo being the son of their favourite heroes. It’s a big mistake on the part of the filmmakers to assume that they can just go, this guy here is the son of the characters you really love, and then expect people to be automatically emotionally invested and moved.
@Saracene

I've made the same observation, and I've never been able to decide if it's because of an inadequate portrayal of the relationship between Kylo and his parents in TFA, or if it's due to the decades' worth of hero worship of Han and Leia that so many fans brought with them into TFA.
Sacrebleu
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by ZioRen on Thu 20 Jul - 0:40

All this reminds me of that "leak" where Kylo captures Leia early on and interrogates her. Then proceeds to walk up and down a hallway for the rest of Act I. Laughing

Last edited by ZioRen on Thu 20 Jul - 0:42; edited 1 time in total
ZioRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Thu 20 Jul - 0:42

ZioRen wrote:All this reminds me of that "leak" where Kylo captures Leia early on and interrogates her. Then proceeds to walk up and down hallway for the rest of Act I. Laughing
@ZioRen

I love that leak! It's one of the funniest ever, up there with Sloth Anakin, Finn's Mechanical Pelvis, My Baby Girl and Reyincarnated Anakin.
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ladyconsular on Thu 20 Jul - 0:42

Sacrebleu wrote:
Saracene wrote:It’s obviously not an issue for many people on this forum, but reading the comments in other places, it’s really striking how little sense many people seem to have of Kylo being the son of their favourite heroes. It’s a big mistake on the part of the filmmakers to assume that they can just go, this guy here is the son of the characters you really love, and then expect people to be automatically emotionally invested and moved.
@Saracene

I've made the same observation, and I've never been able to decide if it's because of an inadequate portrayal of the relationship between Kylo and his parents in TFA, or if it's due to the decades' worth of hero worship of Han and Leia that so many fans brought with them into TFA.
@Sacrebleu

First time I saw Kylo, I saw a lot of Han in him. From the "anything else?" sarcastic comment to the guy delivering bad news, to the smirk he gives Rey when she is checking him out. He also pursues Rey as badly as Han pursued Leia.

I think with his worship of Vader and the many comparisons between him and Anakin, they forgot about the ones who created him. Even now some people forget Leia is a Skywalker too and has a Force sense.

ladyconsular
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by ZioRen on Thu 20 Jul - 0:45

I think people are more hyper-focused on Luke and consider his children the real Skywalker legacy. I find that people weirdly forget that Leia's kid is just as much a Skywalker.

If Rey is finally revealed officially to not be Luke's daughter, I think it might dawn on folks that Kylo's all that's left. Until then, I think most people are looking at her as the true legacy.
ZioRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Moonlight13 on Thu 20 Jul - 0:47

ladyconsular wrote:
Sacrebleu wrote:
@Saracene

@Sacrebleu

First time I saw Kylo, I saw a lot of Han in him. From the "anything else?" sarcastic comment to the guy delivering bad news, to the smirk he gives Rey when she is checking him out. He also pursues Rey as badly as Han pursued Leia.

I think with his worship of Vader and the many comparisons between him and Anakin, they forgot about the ones who created him. Even now some people forget Leia is a Skywalker too and has a Force sense.
@ladyconsular

Well... he himself compared "Ben" to his father. Nope
Moonlight13
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sacrebleu on Thu 20 Jul - 0:48

ladyconsular wrote:
Sacrebleu wrote:
@Saracene

@Sacrebleu

@ladyconsular

I've seen the argument that Kylo "doesn't count" as a Skywalker because Leia's name isn't Skywalker.  With a film like TFA, longtime fans bring a whole lotta baggage and expectations.  So I don't necessarily feel it's all the filmmakers' fault that not everybody makes the connection between Kylo and his parents.
Sacrebleu
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by ladyconsular on Thu 20 Jul - 0:49

Sacrebleu wrote:
ladyconsular wrote:
Sacrebleu wrote:
@Saracene

@Sacrebleu

@ladyconsular

I've seen the argument that Kylo "doesn't count" as a Skywalker because Leia's name isn't Skywalker.  With a film like TFA, longtime fans bring a whole lotta baggage and expectations.  So I don't necessarily feel it's all the filmmakers' fault that not everybody makes the connection between Kylo and his parents.
@Sacrebleu

Yeah it's a fan thing imo. I thought the little moments in TFA hinted a lot at who Kylo's parents were, because he has both of their many traits in him and you can see it. When he first removed his mask, that smirk was Han all the way.

ladyconsular
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sacrebleu on Thu 20 Jul - 0:52

ladyconsular wrote:
Sacrebleu wrote:
ladyconsular wrote:
Sacrebleu wrote:
@Saracene

@Sacrebleu

@ladyconsular

@Sacrebleu

Yeah it's a fan thing imo. I thought the little moments in TFA hinted a lot at who Kylo's parents were, because he has both of their many traits in him and you can see it. When he first removes his mask, that smirk was Han all the way.
@ladyconsular

I agree. When I watched TFA I felt that Kylo was very much like his parents. Passionately devoted to a cause to the level of self-sacrifice (Leia), reckless and impulsive (Han), snarky (both of them), and physical courage; all three of them aren't afraid to risk life and limb.
Sacrebleu
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowgirlsamurai on Thu 20 Jul - 0:57

ZioRen wrote:I think people are more hyper-focused on Luke and consider his children the real Skywalker legacy. I find that people weirdly forget that Leia's kid is just as much a Skywalker.

If Rey is finally revealed officially to not be Luke's daughter, I think it might dawn on folks that Kylo's all that's left. Until then, I think most people are looking at her as the true legacy.
@ZioRen

Honestly, I think that's why they made it seem like Rey could be Luke's kid. People think it's going to be the good and true Skywalker against the evil wannabe, but not quite official Skywalker. That's why they aren't expecting Kylo to be redeemed. In their eyes he doesn't need to be. He should just be erased from the family tree. Evil or Very Mad

Edit: So anyway, you're right. People will be floored that Rey is not the righteous Skywalker heir they were looking for, and that instead, they should root for Kylo alien
Cowgirlsamurai
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Saracene on Thu 20 Jul - 1:08

Sacrebleu wrote:
@Saracene

@Sacrebleu

I think it’s a combination of things, but yes I don’t think that the relationship was well portrayed at all. You get no real backstory, no flashbacks, no sense of what the relationship was like between Kylo and his parents before his fall. Instead you get a weird stiff conversation between Han and Leia about “our son” that sounds like characters delivering exposition, rather than having a natural conversation about their kid. And then the only scene Kylo has with Han is the one in which he kills him. It’s a common problem with JJ: he wants to have these big emotional scenes but often forgets to lay the groundwork.

There’s also the fact that they decided to go with the tactic of surprise, rather than trying to build an emotional connection. If they didn’t hide Kylo’s heritage prior to the release and said upfront that hey, he’s a screwed up son of Han and Leia, that would have created a different impression from the start. But no apparently it’s more important to surprise the audience. Could be also that they didn’t want Kylo, with his important heritage, to upstage the film’s protagonists.

As for Kylo having his parents' traits... maybe but they're too generic IMO to create a sense of continuity. Besides, I suspect that, to many people, the fact that Kylo chose to be on the dark side severs him from his parents quite decidedly. Even at his most amoral, Han never sided with the Empire.
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://yggdrasille.com

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Thu 20 Jul - 1:14

I personally don't have a problem with the way the family was portrayed. It's a two hour movie with a ton going on in between with different plotlines. If anything, it left enough in between for my imagination to fill in the pieces.

Back to top Go down

Post by ladyconsular on Thu 20 Jul - 1:15

Saracene wrote:
Sacrebleu wrote:
@Saracene

@Sacrebleu

I think it’s a combination of things, but yes I don’t think that the relationship was well portrayed at all. You get no real backstory, no flashbacks, no sense of what the relationship was like between Kylo and his parents before his fall. Instead you get a weird stiff conversation between Han and Leia about “our son” that sounds like characters delivering exposition, rather than having a natural conversation about their kid. And then the only scene Kylo has with Han is the one in which he kills him. It’s a common problem with JJ: he wants to have these big emotional scenes but often forgets to lay the groundwork.

There’s also the fact that they decided to go with the tactic of surprise, rather than trying to build an emotional connection. If they didn’t hide Kylo’s heritage prior to the release and said upfront that hey, he’s a screwed up son of Han and Leia, that would have created a different impression from the start. But no apparently it’s more important to surprise the audience. Could be also that they didn’t want Kylo, with his important heritage, to upstage the film’s protagonists.

As for Kylo having his parents' traits... maybe but they're too generic IMO to create a sense of continuity. Besides, I suspect that, to many people, the fact that Kylo chose to be on the dark side severs him from his parents quite decidedly. Even at his most amoral, Han never sided with the Empire.
@Saracene

That's the thing for me that was different then others I guess. All I had to know was he was Leia's son, making him a Skywalker by blood, and his path to the DS was a no brainer. Especially with his Vader worship.

ladyconsular
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin on Thu 20 Jul - 1:26

ladyconsular wrote:
Saracene wrote:
Sacrebleu wrote:
@Saracene

@Sacrebleu

@Saracene

That's the thing for me that was different then others I guess. All I had to know was he was Leia's son, making him a Skywalker by blood, and his path to the DS was a no brainier for me. Especially with his Vader worship.
@ladyconsular

Right. Skywalkers are all on a half-crazy/zealous/extreme spectrum somewhere, Vader being the one the farthest down the line. With the exception of Shmi, they are all volatile people (and you could actually argue that Simi might have been too zealous in her belief in the Jedi). And if you're a forceusing Skywalker, you're gonna have a darkness struggle. That's actually one of the cool things about the Dark Luke speculation. His darkness struggle has been nothing compared to Anakin/Vader and Kylo/Ben. It's time for his turn at bat to really wrestle with those demons IMO.
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Ben Solo on Thu 20 Jul - 1:55

Han might not have sided with the Empire but before ANH, he wasn't exactly a good law abiding citizen (as I'm sure we will see in the Han Solo movie). It looked like he would smuggle stuff for anyone if the price was right and got involved with creeps such as Jabba the Hutt. He was arrogant enough to think he could doublecross the likes of Jabba and get away with it. He shot first (no matter how GL tampered with it). The Han we meet in TFA has fallen back into those old ways of swindling, smuggling and not caring if his crew (aside from Chewie) get eaten by Rathtars! He's got some great qualities too, like fierce loyalty to those he cares about. His mentoring of Luke and young pilots etc.

Leia also has some extremely admirable qualities and she's endured, fought and persisted all her life. But there's some of Anakin's zeal in her. She would burn down the Galaxy if she thought she was right, so the apple didn't fall too far from the tree there!

I see a lot of Han and Leia in Kylo, and I can imagine Ben Solo being like both of them at various points before his fall. I can see Rian laying the groundwork for a mother and son reunion more than JJ did for Han and Kylo. The way he talks about story and characters and getting to the emotional heart of it makes me believe he will delve a bit deeper. We have already had hints that there's more going on than meets the eye with the datacard warning business, plus Leia can seemingly still sense her son through the force (and maybe vice versa).
Mrs Ben Solo
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Thu 20 Jul - 2:26

When it comes to writing any scenes to set up the relationship and eventual reunion between Leia and Ben, it ain't JJ or Rian Johnson who did that, it's likely part of what Carrie Fisher contributed the script. If it's in there, she wrote it as part of the script/dialogue editing process she went through with Rian Johnson. And just remember that she's written those type of scenes before, quite well

snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum