J.J. Abrams To Direct Episode IX - It's official!!!!

Page 5 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: J.J. Abrams To Direct Episode IX - It's official!!!!

Post by Night Huntress on Tue 12 Sep - 16:08

I'm glad... even TFA had it's flaws, he did great with the characters!

Night Huntress
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Tue 12 Sep - 16:12

I'll confess it felt great to change the name of this thread to JJ. He too was my second choice after Rian.

I don't know anything about Chris Terrio. What is SvB? Is that the title or an acronym?

My only concern with JJ is that he's great at creating the opening of a story with questions that need answering, but not so great on answering those questions. Hopefully Rian will be able to answer much of the mystery box posed in TFA, so all he will need to do is wrap it up. Plus he has a co-writer and will be getting other input from Aladdin, KK, etc.

I take this also to mean that Jack Thorne is out completely?
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Forsythia on Tue 12 Sep - 16:14

My first choice would have been Rian Johnson, but I guess he deserves a break after TLJ. JJ was my second choice, so I'm still happy about the announcement. TFA was enjoyable and it gave us Reylo in the first place, so I think it's in good hands.
Forsythia
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by MindAndMagic on Tue 12 Sep - 16:15

@FrolickingFizzgig wrote:I know not everybody is going to feel the same way, but I'm thrilled with this announcement. With all his flaws, JJ hits it out of the ballpark when it comes to emotional character driven writing, and I loved and still love TFA to pieces. He was the best choice, IMO, outside of a co-op between JJ and Rian, which would have been my #1 option bar none (and what should have been the plan all along, but I digress). His commentary just proved how well he understands the nuances these characters need to have. Plus he's the ultimate Kylo fan and Kylo redemptionist. What more can you ask for? cheers
@FrolickingFizzgig

Yep, same here. JJ was my first pick, especially on such a short notice, simple because he knows the characters well enough. As imperfect as TFA was, it had a unique feel to it that made it stand out in terms of character complexity amongst all SW films thus far, particularly when it comes to Kylo Ren, one of the most interesting characters that have ever existed in the SW universe. It was also a tremendous commercial success. I trust JJ to provide a satisfying conclusion to the story, hopefully building on innovative elements introduced in TLJ.

I am also internally pleased that this comes as a sort of a "blow" to traditional SW fanboys (some of whom are a part of the story group as well) since TFA was controversial amongst this portion of the fandom. I hope IX will have the same creative spark as TFA.

At least we can finally put all plotgate-related worries to rest. The greatest benefit in this case is consistency of creative vision IMO. Based on quotes from both JJ and RJ, the trilogy is in good hands.

Last edited by MindAndMagic on Wed 13 Sep - 13:58; edited 4 times in total
MindAndMagic
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Tue 12 Sep - 16:19

JJ gave us "very interesting relationship" "two disparate pieces come together", Prince Kylo. Twisted Evil
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SkyStar on Tue 12 Sep - 16:20

@IoJovi wrote:I'll confess it felt great to change the name of this thread to JJ.  He too was my second choice after Rian.  

I don't know anything about Chris Terrio.  What is SvB?  Is that the title or an acronym?  

My only concern with JJ is that he's great at creating the opening of a story with questions that need answering, but not so great on answering those questions.  Hopefully Rian will be able to answer much of the mystery box posed in TFA, so all he will need to do is wrap it up.  Plus he has a co-writer and will be getting other input from Aladdin, KK, etc.  

I take this also to mean that Jack Thorne is out completely?
@IoJovi

Superman vs Batman
I saw that movie and IMO the biggest problem in it was the script. Some of the character motivations didn't make any sense. Very Happy

SkyStar

http://vienradzis.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened on Tue 12 Sep - 16:25

@vaderito wrote:JJ gave us "very interesting relationship" "two disparate pieces come together", Prince Kylo. Twisted Evil
@vaderito

In brief: if there wasn't for JJ - we wouldn't be here.

And that's all that matters. (at least for me)
Darth_Awakened
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Tue 12 Sep - 16:32

@Darth_Awakened wrote:
@vaderito wrote:JJ gave us "very interesting relationship" "two disparate pieces come together", Prince Kylo. Twisted Evil
@vaderito

In brief: if there wasn't for JJ - we wouldn't be here.

And that's all that matters. (at least for me)
@Darth_Awakened

Yep. Reylo, reylo fandom, this forum, amazing fanart, metas and fanfics wouldn't exist without JJ who is the first Reylo shipper of us all!

vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by bashfulblueeyes3 on Tue 12 Sep - 16:38

I think J.J., when he began had so much he had to put into a movie. He had to have old characters, new characters, new plotlines, and just about everything else. Now we have had Rian to develop the characters and move them along on their personal journeys. I think that J.J. will hopefully be able to close out the trilogy in a satisfying and fun way. Hopefully, being very creative, now that the characters are established.

bashfulblueeyes3
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Rei of Sunshine on Tue 12 Sep - 16:40

This is pretty awesome! JJ and RJ tag team FTW!

I remember JJ praising Rian's script for TLJ when he read it and wished he could direct it for himself. 

It could be that even if JJ already decided that once was enough for him after TFA, maybe Rian's take on TLJ intrigued and excited him about where this story could really go. 

Didn't RJ say that he was there while JJ worked on TFA? This could be an unexpected collaborative effort for both of them, and while JJ provided the set up of the trilogy, RJ provided the mess and conflict, and it just seems fitting for JJ to resolve the conflict. 

Right now my dream scenario would be that JJ and RJ just cowrite the entire thing. It's not too late for RJ to change his mind!

Intertwined Destinies of Two Halves of a Whole y'all!

Rei of Sunshine
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Forsythia on Tue 12 Sep - 16:56

The antis are now claiming that JJ is the "#1 anti Reylo" Very Happy
Forsythia
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Man Without A Star on Tue 12 Sep - 16:57

Suuuuure Very Happy
Man Without A Star
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Tue 12 Sep - 16:58

@Forsythia wrote:The antis are now claiming that JJ is the "#1 anti Reylo" Very Happy
@Forsythia

Good Lord. The delusion is strong with these.
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Moonlight13 on Tue 12 Sep - 17:00

@Forsythia wrote:The antis are now claiming that JJ is the "#1 anti Reylo" Very Happy
@Forsythia

I expected something like that. Rolling Eyes
Moonlight13
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by adamdrivershair on Tue 12 Sep - 17:04

@vaderito

Ooh - does that mean the floofy hair is returning?!?

I'm really happy. Whatever ideas he had for these characters at the start will see fruition. If Reylo was meant to be, it'll happen; if not, it won't. I can live with that.
adamdrivershair
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by SkyStar on Tue 12 Sep - 17:05

@adamdrivershair wrote:
@vaderito

I'm really happy. Whatever ideas he had for these characters at the start will see fruition. If Reylo was meant to be, it'll happen; if not, it won't. I can live with that.
@adamdrivershair

Haha I thought the same about the hair Very Happy The return of the prince's hair!

SkyStar

http://vienradzis.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rei of Sunshine on Tue 12 Sep - 17:09

@SkyStar wrote:
@adamdrivershair wrote:
@vaderito

@adamdrivershair

Haha I thought the same about the hair Very Happy The return of the prince's hair!
@SkyStar

Ep IX: Return of the Floof
Rei of Sunshine
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowgirlsamurai on Tue 12 Sep - 17:10

"Fine, as long as Reylo isn't canon." Wow. That's the first thought in your head at the JJ news? Shocked Shocked Shocked

Done with the comments sections Neutral

Cowgirlsamurai
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Tue 12 Sep - 17:10

If JJ continues with the celebrity cameos, it means we've ensured a return of Simon Pegg as Unkar Plutt as part of unraveling Rey's Mystery Box. Poor Finn, they're going to back to Jakku! #1 on my wishlist of cameos would be Felicity herself, Keri Russell, who's done cameos/smaller roles for him in other projects and is pretty bad a** herself. Like now I'm imagining that Rey's parents are likely Elizabeth and Phillip Jennings from The Americans. Oh and FYI, Felicity is about a young woman striking out on her own in the world to figure out who she is outside of her family and community. Who goes back and forth between two young men, but ultimately goes with the one named Ben :P.

Your typical JJ hating fanboys aside, it does suck that they couldn't at least get a woman screenwriter to work with JJ on the script. Like an entire trilogy centered around a young woman and it sounds like other than the film editors (JJ's team), Carrie Fisher as script nurse (her joke) on 2 movies, and KK, the rest of the central creative team are men. While JJ is the clubhouse with Miyazaki and GdT with preferring to write female leads and having a good handle on how young women act/think (not you, Cameron), that's a little cold comfort because it's a little ironic having a trilogy about a young woman busting into and taking over the Old Boy's Club that's still run by the Old Boy's Club. But the time to have hired somebody like Ava (and good money says JJ was pushing for her but Disney overruled him and hired Trevorrow b/c of JW box office) was 2 years ago at this point. She's too busy with her own projects, maybe doesn't want to dive from A Wrinkle in Time to IX, and at this point they need somebody who can get up to speed, and who already knows the cast/crew. So that's a short list of players. Just hope that she gives her input on IX the way she did for TFA.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened on Tue 12 Sep - 17:13

@snufkin wrote:If JJ continues with the celebrity cameos, it means we've ensured a return of Simon Pegg as Unkar Plutt as part of unraveling Rey's Mystery Box. Poor Finn, they're going to back to Jakku! #1 on my wishlist of cameos would be Felicity herself, Keri Russell, who's done cameos/smaller roles for him in other projects and is pretty bad a** herself. Like now I'm imagining that Rey's parents are likely Elizabeth and Phillip Jennings from The Americans. Oh and FYI, Felicity is about a young woman striking out on her own in the world to figure out who she is outside of her family and community. Who goes back and forth between two young men, but ultimately goes with the one named Ben Razz.

Your typical JJ hating fanboys aside, it does suck that they couldn't at least get a woman screenwriter to work with JJ on the script. Like an entire trilogy centered around a young woman and it sounds like other than the film editors (JJ's team), Carrie Fisher as script nurse (her joke) on 2 movies, and KK, the rest of the central creative team are men. While JJ is the clubhouse with Miyazaki and GdT with preferring to write female leads and having a good handle on how young women act/think (not you, Cameron), that's a little cold comfort because it's a little ironic having a trilogy about a young woman busting into and taking over the Old Boy's Club that's still run by the Old Boy's Club. But the time to have hired somebody like Ava (and good money says JJ was pushing for her but Disney overruled him and hired Trevorrow b/c of JW box office) was 2 years ago at this point. She's too busy with her own projects, maybe doesn't want to dive from A Wrinkle in Time to IX, and at this point they need somebody who can get up to speed, and who already knows the cast/crew. So that's a short list of players. Just hope that she gives her input on IX the way she did for TFA.
@snufkin

Speaking of Jakku - the rumors are already circulating about it.
Darth_Awakened
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Rei of Sunshine on Tue 12 Sep - 17:22

@snufkin wrote:If JJ continues with the celebrity cameos, it means we've ensured a return of Simon Pegg as Unkar Plutt as part of unraveling Rey's Mystery Box. Poor Finn, they're going to back to Jakku! #1 on my wishlist of cameos would be Felicity herself, Keri Russell, who's done cameos/smaller roles for him in other projects and is pretty bad a** herself. Like now I'm imagining that Rey's parents are likely Elizabeth and Phillip Jennings from The Americans. Oh and FYI, Felicity is about a young woman striking out on her own in the world to figure out who she is outside of her family and community. Who goes back and forth between two young men, but ultimately goes with the one named Ben Razz.

@snufkin

I think JJ will definitely ask for Ava's input one way or another. She might not have been hugely involved in TFA, but she did help with the most iconic scene that basically shaped Rey and Kylo's dynamic. It's a little bit like poetry that JJ now has the opportunity to cap the story of Rey and Kylo and who better to ask for input than the person who helped make it happen?

I don't know how much these big money productions understand the value of a female opinion regarding a female lead. Carrie used to be the staunch female voice in SW, pushing for representation and better female characters. I am hoping that with her passing that people in Disney and LFL actually miss her and what she's done for them, and that they try to recompensate by letting her influence live on until Ep. IX. Not just as Leia, but as Carrie.
Rei of Sunshine
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Tue 12 Sep - 17:31

@Forsythia

The guy that friendzoned Finn and literally created Reylo is anti-Reylo.

vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Night Huntress on Tue 12 Sep - 17:36

@SkyStar wrote:

@SkyStar

Me too! I swear! Lolilol Claps Maybe Kylo's hairstylist is returning with JJ... and Adam's reaction "Oh no- does that mean they'll braid my hair again" WTH
Night Huntress
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Tue 12 Sep - 17:37

JJ could be responsible for our first Reylo kiss. I am good with this. Much better than leaving this up to Colin....
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Tue 12 Sep - 17:37

Kylo is JJ's alter ego. Amazing hair was a dead giveaway cause both have it. Very Happy
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum