J.J. Abrams To Direct Episode IX - It's official!!!!

Page 8 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: J.J. Abrams To Direct Episode IX - It's official!!!!

Post by Rei of Sunshine on Tue 12 Sep - 20:09

@vaderito wrote:It's hilarious that antis were trashing JJ in the past while Rian was the Lord and Savior until Rian started talking nice things about Kylo. Now JJ is the Lord and Savior cause antis somehow forgot all issues they had with him. Denialville is strong with them which is awesome for our cause. Can't wait for resurrection of #stopreylo. lol!
@vaderito

I can't wait for the ressurection of the TREEEEEEE!!!
Rei of Sunshine
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Forsythia on Tue 12 Sep - 20:10

@vaderito wrote:It's hilarious that antis were trashing JJ in the past while Rian was the Lord and Savior until Rian started talking nice things about Kylo. Now JJ is the Lord and Savior cause antis somehow forgot all issues they had with him. Denialville is strong with them which is awesome for our cause. Can't wait for resurrection of #stopreylo. lol!
@vaderito
If Reylo happens in Part IX, they will be back to loving Rian and hating JJ Very Happy

@Rei of Sunshine wrote:Wait. BTW where is all this news popping up from? Can someone post the links?

Not that I'm sceptical, but for archival purposes.

And, y'know, future receipts. lol
New director: http://www.starwars.com/news/j-j-abrams-to-write-and-direct-star-wars-episode-ix
Release date: http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/09/12/new-star-wars-episode-ix-release-date-announced
Forsythia
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Tue 12 Sep - 20:13

@Rei of Sunshine wrote:
@vaderito

I can't wait for the ressurection of the TREEEEEEE!!!
@Rei of Sunshine

Maybe Kylo tosses Rey AND Luke onto this tree:

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

OK, so best way to damage control is release a trailer early.
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Forsythia on Tue 12 Sep - 20:14

Yes, they should release something quickly to distract people from this mess Very Happy
Forsythia
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Night Huntress on Tue 12 Sep - 20:16

I just sipping on my glass of champagne... this board is so entertaining. Love you guys H-beating H-beating H-beating
Night Huntress
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsWindu on Tue 12 Sep - 20:20

@vaderito

I thought I'd already posted a reply ( I was on the train so I guess I can't have) when the news broke about my quiet relief that KK had placed the IX task with JJ. Reading through this convo I can see similar reactions. As I only get my Star Wars fix from this forum and tend to shy away from antis I'm interested to hear of their reactions too - that they are inclined to resurrect #stopreylo as you say. From a relative newcomer I'm happy to be a spectator during these interesting times.
MrsWindu
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened on Tue 12 Sep - 20:21

ARRRGH! Another two years. I just pray that some things will be much more clearer after TLJ.

Like:
- Rey parentage
- Ben on the way to be redeemed
- Reylo hints
- no Salad bowls that can't be explained

Last edited by Darth_Awakened on Tue 12 Sep - 20:25; edited 1 time in total
Darth_Awakened
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsWindu on Tue 12 Sep - 20:24

@Rei of Sunshine wrote:We have a considerable spike in attendance today compared to the last few weeks.

31 people; 5 guests, 12 hidden, 14 registered.

I wish more people would log in to celebrate!
@Rei of Sunshine

I notice the most you've ever had logged on this forum was April 14th 2017 when the first TLJ trailer was released - what was that like
MrsWindu
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dementor on Tue 12 Sep - 20:27

J.J. Abrams may not be the best choice as director for Star Wars: Episode IX, but he is the only choice.

Lucasfilm confirmed today thatAbrams would be returning forEpisode IXfollowing a week ofrumors that suggested as much. Lucasfilm CEO Kathleen Kennedy issued a statement, reiterating that “J.J. delivered everything we could have possibly hoped for, and I am so excited that he is coming back to close out this trilogy.”

Of course Kennedy is excited that Abrams is coming back. Abrams reintroduced Star Wars to a modern audience and, after ensuring that Star Wars: The Force Awakens wouldn’t be another Star Wars: Episode I — The Phantom Menace, and managed to make it one of Lucasfilm and Disney’s biggest movies to date. Critics loved it, audiences obsessed over it and The Force Awakens saw more than $2 billion in revenue because of it.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2017/9/12/16294802/new-star-wars-jj-abrams-episode-9-colin-trevorrow

It's time like this you have to give a shout out to Kathleen Kennedy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened on Tue 12 Sep - 20:33

@Darth Dementor wrote:
J.J. Abrams may not be the best choice as director for Star Wars: Episode IX, but he is the only choice.

Lucasfilm confirmed today thatAbrams would be returning forEpisode IXfollowing a week ofrumors that suggested as much. Lucasfilm CEO Kathleen Kennedy issued a statement, reiterating that “J.J. delivered everything we could have possibly hoped for, and I am so excited that he is coming back to close out this trilogy.”

Of course Kennedy is excited that Abrams is coming back. Abrams reintroduced Star Wars to a modern audience and, after ensuring that Star Wars: The Force Awakens wouldn’t be another Star Wars: Episode I — The Phantom Menace, and managed to make it one of Lucasfilm and Disney’s biggest movies to date. Critics loved it, audiences obsessed over it and The Force Awakens saw more than $2 billion in revenue because of it.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2017/9/12/16294802/new-star-wars-jj-abrams-episode-9-colin-trevorrow

@Darth Dementor

Oh absolutely! Even though she really can pull a Darth Vader to the directors she had fired, I'am pretty much confident with her decision and reasoning.
JJ did it with TFA - whatever the some of the critics (mostly fandom based) might say.

I definitely have a mental image of her talking to JJ: Help me JJ Abrams, you're my only hope! lol!
Darth_Awakened
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dementor on Tue 12 Sep - 20:37

@Darth_Awakened wrote:
@Darth Dementor wrote:

@Darth Dementor

Oh absolutely! Even though she really can pull a Darth Vader to the directors she had fired, I'am pretty much confident with her decision and reasoning.
JJ did it with TFA - whatever the some of the critics (mostly fandom based) might say.

I definitely have a mental image of her talking to JJ: Help me JJ Abrams, you're my only hope! lol!
@Darth_Awakened

Fo shizzle. This part of the article is what caught my attention:
An anonymous producer who has worked with Kennedy in the pastrecently told Vulture that the issue with directors like the aforementioned Lord, Miller and Trevorrow is that they come into a movie expecting to get by on their name, talent and vision; they’re not used to working with a boss like Kennedy who is focused on making a Lucasfilm movie, not a Trevorrow film. wrote:

It shows KK gets what makes the movies so special. No one name is bigger than the overall franchise.

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Tue 12 Sep - 20:41

Everyone's favorite Reylo haters Slashfilm supposedly said this in their emergency podcasts re: JJ Return:

PS: Almost everybody I've talked to has really enjoyed it. Lucasfilm is supposedly over the moon with it. The singular thing that I hear from everybody is that it's different. And it's going to probably not sit well with some Star Wars fans. It's going to be divisive.
HTB: I think that's exciting.
PS: Yeah, that is exciting. One person I know that has seen the movie messaged me after this news came out saying that he's happy that J.J. Abrams is coming on because he, you know, didn't like some of the choices that Rian Johnson went with. So take that for what it's worth.

http://www.slashfilm.com/emergency-podcast-jj-abrams-to-direct-star-wars-episode-9/ (start at 9.20)

Yep, anti-Rian spin is strong due to his recent comments undoubtedly. I didn't bother with Slashfilm podcast cause I don't want to give them clicks and they don't have scoops whatsoever. So this is total bull that LF couldn't wait to get JJ back due to concerns about Rian's choices. If anything'd been wrong with the movie, KK would have handed his butt to him like Edward's, L&M and CT among other casualties. Such a hit piece by the sound of it. They are really the lowest low.

Last edited by vaderito on Tue 12 Sep - 20:57; edited 1 time in total
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Rei of Sunshine on Tue 12 Sep - 20:41

@MrsWindu wrote:
@Rei of Sunshine wrote:We have a considerable spike in attendance today compared to the last few weeks.

@Rei of Sunshine

I notice the most you've ever had logged on this forum was April 14th 2017 when the first TLJ trailer was released - what was that like
@MrsWindu

That board activity was all thanks to the trailer AND the teaser poster. More so the poster than the trailer tho. It was awesome because prior to Celebration, most of us here expected marketing to make Kylo more mysterious and Vader-like. We speculated that they will only have him wear the mask and the scar will only be revealed in the movie, making people think that Kylo has become more evil then subvert that in the movie.

Well we were all in for a surprise when SURPRIIIISE~~~Kylo's pretty face and dainty scar starred in Celebration, and basically half of the entire teaser poster.

But honestly, that's nothing really compared to what we got on May 2016, when Adam, Daisy and Mark were spotted in the airport at Ireland. Our top attendance was only 40+ back then, but the board was ecstatic because we were right about Kylo coming to Achc-To! Ahh, you should've been there. It was really fun!
Rei of Sunshine
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened on Tue 12 Sep - 20:48

@Darth Dementor wrote:
@Darth_Awakened wrote:
@Darth Dementor wrote:

@Darth Dementor

@Darth_Awakened

Fo shizzle. This part of the article is what caught my attention:
An anonymous producer who has worked with Kennedy in the pastrecently told Vulture that the issue with directors like the aforementioned Lord, Miller and Trevorrow is that they come into a movie expecting to get by on their name, talent and vision; they’re not used to working with a boss like Kennedy who is focused on making a Lucasfilm movie, not a Trevorrow film. wrote:

It shows KK gets what makes the movies so special. No one name is bigger than the overall franchise.
@Darth Dementor

Speaking on the purely atmospheric side of things: - I think that KK is determined to stick to the FEELING of SW. I mean that's one of the main things critics and the audience noticed and praised immediately after TFA: JJ brought the feeling back - especially because the lack of it was one of the main reason why PT sunk.

Even the first interaction in the movie with Poe and Kylo (i.e. who speaks first?) was far better than and more starwars-y to me than any of the Jar Jar joke. At least that was the moment I realized we're back in the game.
I know some people won't agree with me on that matter - and I'am not an absolute PT hater either, but the playfulness that OT had, PT simply didn't have.
Darth_Awakened
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Blood Moon on Tue 12 Sep - 20:52

@MrsWindu wrote:

@Rei of Sunshine

@MrsWindu

Prepare yourself for when the trailer gets out and get online on the forum, drop everything you're doing at once  lol!
Seeing the teaser-poster and first shots was just very exciting, did you find the thread there was about it?
Blood Moon
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Saracene on Tue 12 Sep - 20:57

Mixed feelings about JJ's return. I do love TFA but it's an incredibly flawed film - rushed and sloppy storytelling, some poorly written characters, some unearned emotional moments, too eager to please in the moment, too much reliance on callbacks. The fresh charm and energy of the cast did a lot to cover up those flaws, but I don't think you can count on it in the third film of the trilogy. The fact that his other second franchise film is Star Trek: Into Darkness is not inspiring either. Still million times better than Trevorrow.
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://yggdrasille.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rey09 on Tue 12 Sep - 21:16

@Rei of Sunshine wrote:
@vaderito wrote:Even though we don't know what's ST endgame in any aspect, I feel much better that direction is given to the Original Reylo. JJ is the reason why this fandom exists.

Also, this is a nice vindication cause obviously a proper reading of TFA is important.

And that Reylo is the first thing that popped on antis mind upon hearing about JJ is the best vindication of all! cheers
@vaderito

Haven't you heard?

JJ is back because he needs to correct all the mistakes he did in TFA! Like Jedi!Finn, Rey Skywalker, and Luke's silence. So for Ep IX, Finn will be a Jedi, Rey is a Skywalker, Kylo dies, and to make up for his silence in TFA, Luke will have half of all speaking parts.

Also Chewie needs that hug from Leia.

I wish I had Tumblr... I wonder how all the Tumblr antis are doing...
@Rei of Sunshine Currently on tumblr: antis apparently saying JJ himself said he doesn't like/or get reylo.  lawls 

The guy said these two will have an "interesting relationship" going forward....it will be so interesting to see how he ends it! 

@vaderito pertaining to Lost clip-- no doubt JJ will use Adam Driver in a similar manner XD *wooh already so hot omg*
rey09
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by nonesuch on Tue 12 Sep - 21:17

@vaderito wrote:Everyone's favorite Reylo haters Slashfilm supposedly said this in their emergency podcasts re: JJ Return:

PS: Almost everybody I've talked to has really enjoyed it. Lucasfilm is supposedly over the moon with it. The singular thing that I hear from everybody is that it's different. And it's going to probably not sit well with some Star Wars fans. It's going to be divisive.
PS: Yeah, that is exciting. One person I know that has seen the movie messaged me after this news came out saying that he's happy that J.J. Abrams is coming on because he, you know, didn't like some of the choices that Rian Johnson went with. So take that for what it's worth.

http://www.slashfilm.com/emergency-podcast-jj-abrams-to-direct-star-wars-episode-9/ (start at 9.20)

Yep, anti-Rian spin is strong due to his recent comments undoubtedly. I didn't bother with Slashfilm podcast cause I don't want to give them clicks and they don't have scoops whatsoever. So this is total bull that LF couldn't wait to get JJ back due to concerns about Rian's choices. If anything'd been wrong with the movie, KK would have handed his butt to him like Edward's, L&M and CT among other casualties. Such a hit piece by the sound of it. They are really the lowest low.
@vaderito
Yes, that's my transcription of Peter S's comments. And I don't think it's fair to say that the comments have an anti-Rian spin - it really did sound like Peter was just reporting what he'd heard from trustworthy insider sources. I don't even think the comments sound bad for The Last Jedi - all of the promo has been based on how shocking and surprising the film is, and Peter's comments match up with that.

I follow /Film quite closely and haven't seen any evidence of an overt 'anti' mentality, as you find on places like Screen Rant. What am I missing?
nonesuch
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria Antonietta on Tue 12 Sep - 22:18

@nonesuch wrote:
@vaderito wrote:Everyone's favorite Reylo haters Slashfilm supposedly said this in their emergency podcasts re: JJ Return:

@vaderito
Yes, that's my transcription of Peter S's comments. And I don't think it's fair to say that the comments have an anti-Rian spin - it really did sound like Peter was just reporting what he'd heard from trustworthy insider sources. I don't even think the comments sound bad for The Last Jedi - all of the promo has been based on how shocking and surprising the film is, and Peter's comments match up with that.

I follow /Film quite closely and haven't seen any evidence of an overt 'anti' mentality, as you find on places like Screen Rant. What am I missing?
@nonesuch

I've read that they've asked Rian to do it and he said no, so I don't think it's a matter of bad decisions for tlj
Maria Antonietta
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by AceofWands on Tue 12 Sep - 22:19

@Saracene wrote:Mixed feelings about JJ's return. I do love TFA but it's an incredibly flawed film - rushed and sloppy storytelling, some poorly written characters, some unearned emotional moments, too eager to please in the moment, too much reliance on callbacks. The fresh charm and energy of the cast did a lot to cover up those flaws, but I don't think you can count on it in the third film of the trilogy. The fact that his other second franchise film is Star Trek: Into Darkness is not inspiring either. Still million times better than Trevorrow.
@Saracene

I've got mixed feelings as well, but at least he'll finish what he started. Smile

JJ is excellent for casting, he did it with SW, and let's agree that the Star Trek movies are also brilliantly cast, so he was great for the beginning of the Sequel Trilogy. For the ending... I don't know. OTOH, he's used to the cast, he knows the story, and let's agree that he created one of the most compelling characters in Star Wars with Kylo Ren.

So my guess for Episode IX would be an average movie with some brilliant moments, like TFA.

I can understand KK at this point doesn't want to bet on an unknown, after 3 unsuccessful experiences (Gareth Edwards' work in R1 was well patched up, but it had to be patched up). So it would make sense that she'd bet on someone she knows.

And lots of people are a million times better than Trevorrow...
AceofWands
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin on Tue 12 Sep - 22:45

@Maria Antonietta wrote:
@nonesuch wrote:

@vaderito

@nonesuch

I've read that they've asked Rian to do it and he said no, so I don't think it's a matter of bad decisions for tlj
@Maria Antonietta

Right. I think there is an article a few pages back that says Rian got asked first. She would not have done that if she had doubts about him. Also, I was at SWC in the panel room, and IMO, KK freaking loves Rian. She was very effusive about how he's on his way to being one of the best writer-directors ever. I would have loved Rian to continue. The man is just so awesome and smart, but if Rian said no, then JJ is definitely the way to go. JJ and Rian worked closely together. They are on the same page. JJ said he wished he wrote Rian's script. He and LK and Rian all have each other's back. These movies are going to be cohesive.
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Tue 12 Sep - 22:52

@SoloSideCousin wrote:
@Maria Antonietta wrote:
@nonesuch wrote:

@vaderito

@nonesuch

@Maria Antonietta

Right. I think there is an article a few pages back that says Rian got asked first. She would not have done that if she had doubts about him. Also, I was at SWC in the panel room, and IMO, KK freaking loves Rian. She was very effusive about how he's on his way to being one of the best writer-directors ever. I would have loved Rian to continue. The man is just so awesome and smart, but if Rian said no, then JJ is definitely the way to go. JJ and Rian worked closely together. They are on the same page. JJ said he wished he wrote Rian's script. He and LK and Rian all have each other's back. These movies are going to be cohesive.
@SoloSideCousin

I personally would be happy with either Rian or JJ at the helm of IX. Even without Plotgate, I was never really a fan of three directors/writers on three different movies, regardless of who they hire. Even if there is an outline (and *cough* we know there is), you're still going to have minor issues with cohesion.

JJ Abrams is the reason I'm a part of this fandom in the first place, and as someone on Tumblr put it, he's the OG Reylo shipper. He's the one who put this whole thing together, from two disparaging pieces coming together to the sexual subtext during the final snow fight. I'm a big fan of the man, and I couldn't be more pleased.
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by bashfulblueeyes3 on Tue 12 Sep - 23:00

J.J. is fully aware of the issues with T.F.A.. I have seen some issues. He has to know how important this is to every Star Wars fan, including himself. He will never please everyone. I have to give him a lot of credit for taking on TFA to begin with. He was carrying a heavy load doing the first movie of the trilogy. I think he did a fine job. He has worked very closely with Rian and produced TLJ, so I think by giving him more time to write, we will have one fine ending. I choose to remain very optimistic.

bashfulblueeyes3
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Xylo Ren on Tue 12 Sep - 23:25

Yay! I got the forum working on my phone! Still no power from Irma. This is amanzing news! All I could think about while reading it was this shot:

The characters of Rey and Kylo are in excellent hands. JJ the father of Reylo will now complete it. TFA is my FAVORITE Star Wars movie so I'm thrilled!
Xylo Ren
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by BenRey on Tue 12 Sep - 23:30

@vaderito
Slashfilm is one of the first sites to take reylo seriously. Screenrant is anti-reylo not Slashfilm.

May 2016

In my opinion, Finn and Rey shouldn’t have a romance, if only because it would be a nice change of pace for the female and male leads of a franchise to not have any love blossom between them. Plus, there’s the crazier option of a Rey and Kylo Ren romance out there, which would be infinitely more interesting than a couple of good guys hooking up.

http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-episode-viii-details-finn-rey-romance/
BenRey
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum