J.J. Abrams To Direct Episode IX - It's official!!!!

Page 11 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: J.J. Abrams To Direct Episode IX - It's official!!!!

Post by snufkin on Fri 15 Sep 2017, 8:50 pm

Nice try angry nerds, but you lost me with zero mention of hey, maybe it might be a good idea to have a woman write and/or direct a movie about a young woman's coming of age and coming into her own powers? Especially for a company that's been advocating for bringing more women behind the camera in the film industry.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Tex on Wed 20 Sep 2017, 11:34 am

@Kyla Ren wrote:
@Lovely_Rose wrote:Rian wouldn't be my first choice simply because I have yet to see what he does with Reylo in the new film that isn't released yet. On the other hand, we already know what JJ is capable of and how he handles Kylo Ren and Rey. Due to this I also think he's the best bet to actually make it canon as well.
@Lovely_Rose

I agree.  I mean, Rian might have made a great movie and laid the groundwork for Epic Reylo, but I feel like I can't be sure since I haven't seen it yet.  JJ, on the other hand, gave us so many Reylo moments that I feel like he might be the best bet for Epic Reylo in Episode IX.  I guess ultimately we'll have to wait and see, but I am very glad JJ will be doing IX. Smile
@Kyla Ren

@Darth Rowan wrote:Please. Would they rather see Trevorrow directing?
Still, part of me is glad for this sad little backlash. More (tiny) pressure on LF and JJ to come out with fresh ideas and steer clear of anything rehashy this time around.

I know in the long run that JJ is the safe bet for them. He delivered a good movie the first time around. Why shouldn't he do it again? I know in some parts of the internet people are worried that IX may be another rehash/Star Wars greatest hits again. I see those concerns for sure. However, I keep thinking back to the commentary JJ did for TFA and sort of how unenthusiastic he was for the parts that were call backs, like the trench run with Poe and how excited he was to talk about ever scene with Rey and Kylo. I think coming back for IX could be his moment to do he own thing with Star Wars and not have one hand tied trying to prove to everyone that this is "STAR WARS" and a return to form.

I could really see JJ going all the way with romantic Reylo if given the chance. Perhaps that's even why he was sort of envious of Rian's script for TLJ because it was a more original work that got to dig deeper into the character dynamics that he was actually interested in. I do also think that LF now see what his directing weaknesses are and willing to curtail his mystery box stuff and other failings when necessary.
Tex
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 20 Sep 2017, 11:44 am

It sounds like Paramount will be seeking some recompense from Disney over JJ's decision to sign on for Episode IX http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-director-drama-how-jj-abrams-jilted-paramount-episode-ix-1041357?utm_source=twitter

Back to top Go down

Post by panki on Wed 20 Sep 2017, 11:45 am

Mrs Ben Solo wrote:It sounds like Paramount will be seeking some recompense from Disney over JJ's decision to sign on for Episode IX http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-director-drama-how-jj-abrams-jilted-paramount-episode-ix-1041357?utm_source=twitter
@Mrs Ben Solo

The greed awakens...the plot thickens. Rolling Eyes

panki

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dementor on Wed 20 Sep 2017, 12:17 pm

@Darth Rowan wrote:
Mrs Ben Solo wrote:There is a petition to get JJ fired... Rolling Eyes http://movieweb.com/amp/star-wars-9-fire-jj-abrams-petition/
@Mrs Ben Solo

Please. Would they rather see Trevorrow directing?
Still, part of me is glad for this sad little backlash. More (tiny) pressure on LF and JJ to come out with fresh ideas and steer clear of anything rehashy this time around.
@Darth Rowan

Oh I can totally see why they don't want JJ back. I mean his last SW movie only rated a 92% on Rotten tomato in addition to an 89% with audience vote; pulled in over a Billion dollars; and introduce beloved characters that people instantly fell in love with and is stuck in the public concious. Yeah those credentials garner no faith in his next film whatsoever. Neutral

Back to top Go down

Post by DarthRen on Wed 20 Sep 2017, 12:26 pm

@Darth Dementor wrote:
@Darth Rowan wrote:
Mrs Ben Solo wrote:There is a petition to get JJ fired... Rolling Eyes http://movieweb.com/amp/star-wars-9-fire-jj-abrams-petition/
@Mrs Ben Solo

Please. Would they rather see Trevorrow directing?
@Darth Rowan

Oh I can totally see why they don't want JJ back. I mean his last SW movie only rated a 92% on Rotten tomato in addition to an 89% with audience vote; pulled in over a Billion dollars; and introduce beloved characters that people instantly fell in love with and is stuck in the public concious. Yeah those credentials garner no faith in his next film whatsoever. Neutral
@Darth Dementor

Actually TFA made over 2 billion dollars in the box office. Only a third movie in the history to crack that mark. While it was maybe over the top close to A New Hope for some but still to me it had a nice blend of nostalgia, fresh new characters and it had that spirit of Star Wars Prequels lacked.
DarthRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Rimfaxe96 on Wed 20 Sep 2017, 5:45 pm

... I'm willing to bet 100€ that after confirming reylo in 8 or 9, someone will tweet-ask-JJ (or Rian, or Pablo, or anyone else involved with the current Star Wars stuff) why they decided to pair Rey up with her cousin. Laughing
Rimfaxe96
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Thu 21 Sep 2017, 11:13 am

The money quote (literally) is
"We think J.J. is the next Steven Spielberg," said Grey at the time.
. Because the film industry is stuck in a 40-year-old business model built on blockbusters like Jaws and Star Wars, which isn't paying off anymore because the industry and audience members have changed. Hence the reboots, franchise-itis (not that I'm complaining about the ST), and sequels hoping to. "The next Spielberg" is what Brad Bird made his entrance on and which led to Trevorrow getting elevated above and beyond his skillset and experience into the mess with IX. They just swapped out a wonder boy who didn't pay off for one who's at least paid off for Lucasfilm. And studio execs who keep looking for the supposed next Spielberg are the same type of short sighted dumba**es as the Venture Capitalists who keep throwing money at stupid tech ideas because they're so enamored with the idea of "the next Zuckerburg" because it's some young white guy in a hoodie instead of some young white guy in a baseball cap. You'd think at some point these film execs would get their sh*t together and realize that based on how badly the box office was here in the States for Summer films and instead of blaming Rotton Tomatoes, maybe realize that it's no longer the late 70s-early 80s and that even Spielberg isn't Spielberg anymore. And that the whole fight for things like getting LF to hire female writers and directors, or just doing better at spotting and nurturing talent who isn't some young white guy in a baseball cap, makes better business sense.

Anyways, it still sucks that they didn't get somebody amazing 2 years ago to direct IX, like Ava (though I doubt she'd want to work for KK given that she has built her own empire), Taika Waitiki, Patty Jenkins, Alfonso Cuaron, Jeff Nichols (who comes closest to being like Spielberg, is a better fimmaker than Trevorrow, and has a strong friendship with one of the ST!s leads) et cetera instead of the whole nonsense with Trevorrow. But too late now and at least as fans of TFA and the characters it introduced, we can at least feel reassured that he'll do right by them.

Last edited by snufkin on Thu 21 Sep 2017, 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Thu 21 Sep 2017, 11:33 am

@Rimfaxe96 wrote:... I'm willing to bet 100€ that after confirming reylo in 8 or 9, someone will tweet-ask-JJ (or Rian, or Pablo, or anyone else involved with the current Star Wars stuff) why they decided to pair Rey up with her cousin. Laughing
@Rimfaxe96

Hopefully someone replies with:

remember JJ's words:

“This was not just 'The Force Awakens' in a young woman. It's the dark side of The Force awakening in the villain."

"and now these two disparate pieces come together".

JJ = Melidandre Twisted Evil
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Thu 21 Sep 2017, 6:07 pm

Another thing which is a tiny detail in favor of JJ is how the film is shot and edited primarily through Rey's PoV. Which the obvious one is the moment where Kylo takes off the mask to show Rey his face is pure feminine gaze. Or to be technical, it's scopophilia because he's shown through her PoV as young and attractive. For all the complaints about how that was the "wrong" moment, it's also the point that the moment when he drops his guard/persona and that moment is about Rey and Ben interacting with each other for the first time Likely also the first time Ben has come out from hiding from the persona he adopted after whatever happened with betraying/going against his family and defecting to Snoke. It's absolutely deliberate and JJ knows better than some guy in the comments section of YouTube why it has to be that moment and with that person when we finally meet Ben.

The knee jerk fan complaints about JJ is duh, Lens Flare. But Rey's introduction is absolutely iconic. Up there with the first film in how it introduces characters like Vader and Leia without dialogue but you immediately know who that person is. There used to be a video up on Vimeo from a filmmaker in France where he dissected all of Rey's scenes and how she's framed in perspective to the environment and other characters to emphasize her isolation/aloneness. People are circling back to how great her introduction was in that film, which again, if it has to be JJ, there are some consolations to be had

Moments of Wonder – Rey’s Introduction in The Force Awakens

This gorgeous shot seen above, paired with John Williams score, spoke volumes about the character of Rey to me.  I immediately understood her loneliness and isolation represented by a lone tiny figure against this large destroyed object of a bygone generation, I understood her desire for thrills from the visual of the sled through my personal association of sledding with excitement and adventure due to my childhood, I learned that she is efficient and practical by using the tool of a sled to assist her in transporting her goods, and, through the use of flutes and chimes in the music, Rey was a character full of curiosity and fun.

To learn so much about a character in such a short span of time through the use of production design, film score and stunning cinematography is a feat not many films can lay claim to.  The beauty of this short scene not only lies in its physical beauty captured through the lenses, but through the emotions and revelations it presents.  To make me feel and realize so much so perfectly is wonderful.  It is evidence of why I find cinema so marvelous.  The artistry displayed in this sequence stunned me and gave me such glee that I still smile when I think about Rey sliding down the sand dune as her theme quietly starts to play.

Many single aspects of film can elicit a particular emotion or idea in an audience, but when multiple aspects coalesce so perfectly, something truly magical can occur.  From that one short scene, I was overloaded with ideas of a particular character, I fell in love with a piece of music, I became overly excited to see what surprises and amazing visuals the rest of the movie would incorporate, and I was joyful and thankful for that.  The shot of Rey sledding away from a fallen Star Destroyer partnered with her fantastic musical theme, was a Moment of Wonder for me.  It was an instant of excitement and beauty that I will find hard to forget.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Anakin Skywalker on Fri 22 Sep 2017, 8:04 am

I was happy about JJ coming back, because he made Raylo first place.

but about repeating thing, this video made me laugh Very Happy
Anakin Skywalker
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 27 Sep 2017, 7:35 pm

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowgirlsamurai on Wed 27 Sep 2017, 7:49 pm

Mrs Ben Solo wrote:For anime fans, this is an interesting movie for JJ to be involved with http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/heat-vision/jj-abrams-paramount-team-up-sci-fi-love-story-your-name-1043907
@Mrs Ben Solo

Intriguing! Haven't seen it, but many of my friends have raved about it. I wonder if they'll pick Asian actors for this one. People thought Ghost in the Shell with Scarlet J was whitewashed.
Cowgirlsamurai
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Rei of Sunshine on Fri 29 Sep 2017, 1:29 pm

Mrs Ben Solo wrote:For anime fans, this is an interesting movie for JJ to be involved with http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/heat-vision/jj-abrams-paramount-team-up-sci-fi-love-story-your-name-1043907
@Mrs Ben Solo

Haven't seen Your Name yet but a lot of my anime fan friends and even those who aren't, all loved it, saying it's beyond the usual Japanese drama experience.

A lot of them are enraged over this news thanks to the crappy Anime live action hollywood remakes all throughout the years.

But what got me curious is that the lead characters, Taki and Mitsuha, are from very opposite lives and suddenly swap, leading them to form a meaningful connection, turning into a love story. Taki is a city boy while Mistuha is a country girl. Reviews describe them having intwined destinies. I choked on that.

I wonder if JJ is interested in it for the same reasons he created Rey and Kylo's mysterious connection. Because if you look at it, Rey and Kylo aren't much too different from Taki and Mitsuha, minus the body swap element.

Interesting choice for JJ.
Rei of Sunshine
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by panki on Fri 29 Sep 2017, 2:13 pm

@Rei of Sunshine wrote:
@Mrs Ben Solo

Haven't seen Your Name yet but a lot of my anime fan friends and even those who aren't, all loved it, saying it's beyond the usual Japanese drama experience.

A lot of them are enraged over this news thanks to the crappy Anime live action hollywood remakes all throughout the years.

But what got me curious is that the lead characters, Taki and Mitsuha, are from very opposite lives and suddenly swap, leading them to form a meaningful connection, turning into a love story. Taki is a city boy while Mistuha is a country girl. Reviews describe them having intwined destinies. I choked on that.

I wonder if JJ is interested in it for the same reasons he created Rey and Kylo's mysterious connection. Because if you look at it, Rey and Kylo aren't much too different from Taki and Mitsuha, minus the body swap element.

@Rei of Sunshine

I just got hold of the blu ray of this movie...all this talk of people having a mysterious connection has got me intrigued...will watch it over the weekend. Very Happy

panki

Back to top Go down

Post by rey09 on Fri 29 Sep 2017, 9:05 pm

@Rei of Sunshine wrote:
@Mrs Ben Solo

@Rei of Sunshine  Read on tumblr this "If you’ve seen Your Name, you’ll know that it’s an epic romance concerning two young people who are separated by a vast distance yet are linked by their minds. Through getting inside each other’s heads, they gradually fall in love." err..whoa
rey09
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsWindu on Tue 03 Oct 2017, 5:35 am

New Empire just arrived - nothing new but I'm uploading if you wanted a quick read.

MrsWindu
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by EchoBase on Tue 03 Oct 2017, 6:06 am

@MrsWindu wrote:New Empire just arrived - nothing new but I'm uploading if you wanted a quick read.

@MrsWindu

Oh, it's the story of Rey, Finn and Kylo. Now, that's a surprise Wink.
EchoBase
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by DarthRen on Tue 03 Oct 2017, 6:35 am

@EchoBase wrote:
@MrsWindu wrote:New Empire just arrived - nothing new but I'm uploading if you wanted a quick read.

@MrsWindu

Oh, it's the story of Rey, Finn and Kylo. Now, that's a surprise Wink.
@EchoBase

Who would thought, right? Big Evil Kylo Ren is important.
DarthRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Fri 06 Oct 2017, 11:20 pm

John Boyega on JJ coming back to direct Episode IX:
source: http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/893767-exclusive-john-boyega-calls-star-wars-episode-ix-the-war-to-end-all-wars#/slide/1

“I think what’s fantastic is it feels like it’s coming back full circle,” Boyega said of Abrams’ return. “I don’t know nothing about the script, the story. I don’t know where Finn’s going, I don’t know where Rey is going, but definitely I feel this is the war to end all wars in this movie. I’m interested to know how he will handle that. I’m asking so many questions and I haven’t had a chance to kinda sit down and write J.J. a message just to say congratulations and I’m stoked. My fixation now is that he needs to get some SLEEP and GEAR UP because we’re doing another one of these movies, mate! But I think he’s gonna do a great job, as always. He’s J.J.”
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin on Fri 06 Oct 2017, 11:55 pm

@ISeeAnIsland wrote:John Boyega on JJ coming back to direct Episode IX:
source: http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/893767-exclusive-john-boyega-calls-star-wars-episode-ix-the-war-to-end-all-wars#/slide/1

“I think what’s fantastic is it feels like it’s coming back full circle,” Boyega said of Abrams’ return. “I don’t know nothing about the script, the story. I don’t know where Finn’s going, I don’t know where Rey is going, but definitely I feel this is the war to end all wars in this movie. I’m interested to know how he will handle that. I’m asking so many questions and I haven’t had a chance to kinda sit down and write J.J. a message just to say congratulations and I’m stoked. My fixation now is that he needs to get some SLEEP and GEAR UP because we’re doing another one of these movies, mate! But I think he’s gonna do a great job, as always. He’s J.J.”
@ISeeAnIsland

"War to end all wars" for IX? This isn't gonna just be Kylo and Snoke against the beautiful Resistance people. This is going to be high stakes. Remember how John said something about their maybe being a Civil War. The red posters could signify the sides chosen. Rey and Kylo are going left to right. Under old Kurosawa or old Western rules, the people going left to right were good. I read somewhere that GL followed this rule when he shot scenes.

We also have people in those red pictures who have their body going one and their head another. Are these the people torn in the middle?
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Fri 06 Oct 2017, 11:57 pm

@SoloSideCousin wrote:

@ISeeAnIsland

"War to end all wars" for IX? This isn't gonna just be Kylo and Snoke against the beautiful Resistance people. This is going to be high stakes. Remember how John said something about their maybe being a Civil War. The red posters could signify the sides chosen. Rey and Kylo are going left to right. Under old Kurosawa or old Western rules, the people going left to right were good. I read somewhere that GL followed this rule when he shot scenes.

We also have people in those red pictures who have their body going one and their head another. Are these the people torn in the middle?
@SoloSideCousin

And Luke is heading right to left...
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin on Sat 07 Oct 2017, 1:46 am

@ISeeAnIsland wrote:
@SoloSideCousin wrote:

@ISeeAnIsland

@SoloSideCousin

And Luke is heading right to left...
@ISeeAnIsland

Right ... and Rey, who is heading left to right, is basically the mirror of Luke. Also Finn and Poe have very similar stances, but Finn looks more straight ahead, whereas Poe face turns towards right, the Kylo and Rey direction.
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Xylo Ren on Sat 07 Oct 2017, 8:58 am

I love the idea of a civil war and considering how successful Avengers Civil War was, it wouldn't be a bad idea for SW to do this.

Can you imagine the conflict when Rey and Finn end up on opposite sides?

It also sounds like he's talking about only one movie, and no split.
Xylo Ren
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Sat 07 Oct 2017, 12:50 pm

@Xylo Ren wrote:I love the idea of a civil war and considering how successful Avengers Civil War was, it wouldn't be a bad idea for SW to do this.

Can you imagine the conflict when Rey and Finn end up on opposite sides?

It also sounds like he's talking about only one movie, and no split.
@Xylo Ren

Good catch on that. The poster who called the split also called that we'd be getting social media teasers in the runup to the trailer release on Monday, and we haven't gotten that, either.
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum