J.J. Abrams To Direct Episode IX - It's official!!!!

Page 12 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: J.J. Abrams To Direct Episode IX - It's official!!!!

Post by Kylo Rey on Thu 19 Oct 2017, 12:10 pm

J. J. Abrams: Episode IX Will “Go Elsewhere” With Franchise; Prequels Will Be Referenced

British Broadcasting Corporation: …Both of these series that you’re involved with – Star Trek and Star Wars – they change people’s lives, don’t they? Little boys, little girls end up saying “That’s what I want to do. That’s where I wanna be.”

JJ Abrams: Well, it’s certainly something that I’m aware of now working on Episode IX – coming back into this world after having done Episode VII. I feel like we need to approach this with the same excitement that we had when we were kids, loving what these movies were. And at the same time, we have to take them places that they haven’t gone, and that’s sort of our responsibility. It’s a strange thing – Michael’s worked on things like Planet of the Apes and Star Trek and Star Wars, and these are the things of dreams. Yet we can’t just revel in that; we have to go elsewhere.

Seems like JJ has taken the rehash criticisms to heart. Tallies up with what this guy on Reddit was saying too: https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWars/comments/77adp3/i_got_to_meet_jj_abrams_and_chris_terrio_tonight/
Kylo Rey
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 25 Oct 2017, 10:52 am

I find this just...odd. Is it just me? It’s making my mind boggle as to where the ST might be headed that they wanted David Fincher for Episode IX. He’s done some great and interesting movies, fantastic thrillers, but I don’t see him as a fit for Star Wars. JJ for the final instalment of the ST, I can see. But with all due respect, how does one take the leap from David Fincher to JJ? http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/star-wars/52839/why-david-fincher-turned-down-star-wars-episode-ix

Back to top Go down

Post by Saracene on Wed 25 Oct 2017, 3:21 pm

I'm a huge fan of David Fincher but he's way too cold and clinical for SW. Also, nothing I've seen from him makes me think he'd be good at romance (he tried with Benjamin Button and for my money it's his weakest film).
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://yggdrasille.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Blood Moon on Wed 25 Oct 2017, 5:42 pm

So he has been asked twice now to direct a part in the ST! Wow, I'm surprised.
But with Fincher you would expect something much darker, cynical and unnerving.
I'm a fan of Fincher's work so I would love if he would do a Star Wars stand-alone movie.
Blood Moon
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Wed 25 Oct 2017, 5:57 pm

yeah, keep clinical directors away from the Saga. I've no problem bringing them aboard for spin-offs but the Saga requires directors with a warm touch and a sense of whimsy. It's a fairytale, it always will be.
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin on Wed 25 Oct 2017, 5:58 pm

@Blood Moon wrote:So he has been asked twice now to direct a part in the ST! Wow, I'm surprised.
I'm a fan of Fincher's work so I would love if he would do a Star Wars stand-alone movie.
@Blood Moon

Me too! I love Fincher's work.  However, I am happy that JJ is directing IX instead of Fincher.  I agree with @Saracene that he doesn't do "tender" or "romantic" well.  However, I do find it interesting that they were looking at Fincher for two reasons.  First, that makes me think that TLJ is going to have some serious stuff going on with it, so they need someone serious to pick up things from there.  Second, I am actually pretty excited that they are looking at someone like Fincher in general, because that means that they are quite open to taking risks with the franchise, since I don't even know if Fincher has ever made a non-rated R movie.
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by DarthRen on Wed 25 Oct 2017, 6:03 pm

Agree with @Saracene and @SoloSideCousin on this. As much as I love Fincher's work [ not his word's on Adam or how he phrased it], not sure how he'd fit into this saga and make me wonder why he was even approached as the first one? It's a Space Soap Opera, fairytale ... like do they have a different idea because they must know Fincher's is a bit cynical, dark, not very romantic style and how he likes to film. JJ is universally a good choice, know characters and is able to adapt.
DarthRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Blood Moon on Wed 25 Oct 2017, 6:59 pm

@SoloSideCousin wrote:
@Blood Moon wrote:So he has been asked twice now to direct a part in the ST! Wow, I'm surprised.
@Blood Moon

Me too! I love Fincher's work.  However, I am happy that JJ is directing IX instead of Fincher.  I agree with @Saracene that he doesn't do "tender" or "romantic" well.  However, I do find it interesting that they were looking at Fincher for two reasons.  First, that makes me think that TLJ is going to have some serious stuff going on with it, so they need someone serious to pick up things from there.  Second, I am actually pretty excited that they are looking at someone like Fincher in general, because that means that they are quite open to taking risks with the franchise, since I don't even know if Fincher has ever made a non-rated R movie.
@SoloSideCousin

Yes good point about some serious stuff in TLJ and needing someone to pick up that story.
I can't process Fincher with a "warm touch" and hopeful ending for the saga like  @vaderito says.

Non-rated R confuses me? because we have a different rating system over here. Benjamin Button is rated at 6 years old, the rest I think mostly at 16 years.
Blood Moon
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin on Wed 25 Oct 2017, 7:28 pm

@Blood Moon wrote:
@SoloSideCousin wrote:
@Blood Moon

@SoloSideCousin

Yes good point about some serious stuff in TLJ and needing someone to pick up that story.
I can't process Fincher with a "warm touch" and hopeful ending for the saga like  @vaderito says.

Non-rated R confuses me? because we have a different rating system over here. Benjamin Button is rated at 6 years old, the rest I think mostly at 16 years.
@Blood Moon

The American "R" rating is probably very similar to your 16 years rating. With Rated "R", people under 17 are not supposed to see a movie without being accompanied by an adult. We have a stricter one, "NC17" where no one under 17 is even allowed, but it's almost never used, because it's like the box office "kiss of death".
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by RosiePancake on Thu 26 Oct 2017, 5:28 am

lol!
RosiePancake
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by thescavenger Yesterday at 8:41 am

I find it very strange that JJ has been very quiet throughout the TLJ release. He was the executive producer behind it and was quite vocal about how much he loved the TLJ script.

Hmm, maybe he doesn't want to be influenced by all the media attention and reactions to TLJ while he writes IX.
thescavenger
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by nickandnora Yesterday at 10:10 am

I imagine that he and his co-writer have basically locked themselves in a room and don't plan on coming out until the script is done.

nickandnora
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum