The Last Jedi Trailer(s): NO SPOILERS

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Last Jedi Trailer(s): NO SPOILERS

Post by FrolickingFizzgig on Wed 18 Oct - 10:56

Some thoughts on the past week…

It’s become clear to me that most amazing thing about this forum is the members’ capacity to adjust theories based on new reveals. Before TFA hardcore fans latched onto theories like Reywalker, Rey Solo, FinnRey, Snoke/Plagieus, etc. and when they saw the movie, they automatically engaged in mental gymnastics in an attempt to gather evidence for their favourites. Reylo, on the other hand, is the only theory that was born from the movie itself, and that’s why—to this day—it’s largely the only theory that has real narrative potential. We created the theory not because we wanted it to be true or we wanted to win some nonexistent fantasy football game that started before TFA’s release, but because we felt it would make for a good story. To this day, despite how satisfying it’s been to be to see all the fan groups who were condescending toward our theory lose all their theories to #canon, that has remained our #1 incentive. A good story.

Because all we want is a good story we’re capable of weighing options, theories and taking new canon into consideration in a way many other fans simply can’t. Over the past two years we’ve remoulded our theories to fit new contexts at every turn. The most memorable would have to be  losing kid Ben Solo who was corrupted by Snoke and fell in his teens. Most early Reylos were rather confident in that theory, even though it turned out to be quite false. Despite how attached we were, we let it go, accepting that, if Ben’s backstory was potentially changed, it was changed for a good reason… because whatever Rian came up with was ultimately the better story. And it really was. Raw power Rey and Kylo is my new jam, tbh. I’m a big Naruto fan and anything that reminds me of the literal demon trapped inside the main character that goes out of control against friend and foe gets me hyped.

Side-note, but I’m hyped for Rey and Luke now in a way I wasn’t before the trailer. When everybody figured Luke was going to be a crazy, disenfranchised hermit who would ultimately be redeemed by and train Rey I was like “Meh, sure, whatever”. But now that Luke’s scared of her because she reminds him so much of Ben… sIGn Me UpPpPppp!1!!111!!! Bonus points if Rey actually killed her parent(s) and ends up hurting her mentor with the flick of a wrist. I need me some guilty, confused Rey in my life (a.k.a. flawed, nuanced Rey). Meanwhile, everybody was too busy calling Rey a Mary Sue to think… hey, maybe this overwhelming power will actually be part of the story.

Months ago we talked about protagonists who contain a literal-on-a-story-level darkness (Naruto, Harry Potter) and those who are tempted by an ultra powerful darkness (Frodo and the Ring), and to my immense satisfaction Rey’s joining the first fold rather than the #toopureforthisworld fold. Thank freaking god, Rian. That dynamic was not only getting tired as hell, it always would have been received poorly by antis—confirming on some level what they’ve been whining about over two years with regards to Kylo taking over the story and Rey being relegated to the role of Skywalker love-interest.

I honestly wonder if JJ’s original backstory for Kylo and “version” of Reylo wasn’t more “man of dark, woman of light”, and this was one of the big changes Rian made when he came in during TFA’s production. He didn’t want a power struggle between Rey and Kylo with one representing goodness and the other representing temptation balancing each other, he wanted a dynamic of Force equals who both struggle to control their overwhelming and probably destructive Force abilities. What do you guys think? Is this one of the “changes” Rian made?
avatar
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 3504
Likes : 30294
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25
Age : 23
Localisation : Canada

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi Trailer(s): NO SPOILERS

Post by vaderito on Wed 18 Oct - 11:20

@FrolickingFizzgig wrote:Some thoughts on the past week…

It’s become clear to me that most amazing thing about this forum is the members’ capacity to adjust theories based on new reveals. Before TFA hardcore fans latched onto theories like Reywalker, Rey Solo, FinnRey, Snoke/Plagieus, etc. and when they saw the movie, they automatically engaged in mental gymnastics in an attempt to gather evidence for their favourites. Reylo, on the other hand, is the only theory that was born from the movie itself, and that’s why—to this day—it’s largely the only theory that has real narrative potential. We created the theory not because we wanted it to be true or we wanted to win some nonexistent fantasy football game that started before TFA’s release, but because we felt it would make for a good story. To this day, despite how satisfying it’s been to be to see all the fan groups who were condescending toward our theory lose all their theories to #canon, that has remained our #1 incentive. A good story.

Because all we want is a good story we’re capable of weighing options, theories and taking new canon into consideration in a way many other fans simply can’t. Over the past two years we’ve remoulded our theories to fit new contexts at every turn. The most memorable would have to be  losing kid Ben Solo who was corrupted by Snoke and fell in his teens. Most early Reylos were rather confident in that theory, even though it turned out to be quite false. Despite how attached we were, we let it go, accepting that, if Ben’s backstory was potentially changed, it was changed for a good reason… because whatever Rian came up with was ultimately the better story. And it really was. Raw power Rey and Kylo is my new jam, tbh. I’m a big Naruto fan and anything that reminds me of the literal demon trapped inside the main character that goes out of control against friend and foe gets me hyped.

Side-note, but I’m hyped for Rey and Luke now in a way I wasn’t before the trailer. When everybody figured Luke was going to be a crazy, disenfranchised hermit who would ultimately be redeemed by and train Rey I was like “Meh, sure, whatever”. But now that Luke’s scared of her because she reminds him so much of Ben… sIGn Me UpPpPppp!1!!111!!! Bonus points if Rey actually killed her parent(s) and ends up hurting her mentor with the flick of a wrist. I need me some guilty, confused Rey in my life (a.k.a. flawed, nuanced Rey). Meanwhile, everybody was too busy calling Rey a Mary Sue to think… hey, maybe this overwhelming power will actually be part of the story.

Months ago we talked about protagonists who contain a literal-on-a-story-level darkness (Naruto, Harry Potter) and those who are tempted by an ultra powerful darkness (Frodo and the Ring), and to my immense satisfaction Rey’s joining the first fold rather than the #toopureforthisworld fold. Thank freaking god, Rian. That dynamic was not only getting tired as hell, it always would have been received poorly by antis—confirming on some level what they’ve been whining about over two years with regards to Kylo taking over the story and Rey being relegated to the role of Skywalker love-interest.

I honestly wonder if JJ’s original backstory for Kylo and “version” of Reylo wasn’t more “man of dark, woman of light”, and this was one of the big changes Rian made when he came in during TFA’s production. He didn’t want a power struggle between Rey and Kylo with one representing goodness and the other representing temptation balancing each other, he wanted a dynamic of Force equals who both struggle to control their overwhelming and probably destructive Force abilities. What do you guys think? Is this one of the “changes” Rian made?
@FrolickingFizzgig

cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers

I think it's possible that he made adjustments, cause the gist is the same - they will work together towards balance - but Rian's option establishes more of the common ground than the original one (which already gave them loneliness as a point of similarity). In Rian's version, assuming it's Rian's version, rey's power isn't perfect just like Kylo's while in the original version is might have been (Pure Light vs RAWPOWAH).

However, seeds of #RAWPOWAH are in TFA, what's with giving Kylo a primal (cat purr) Force sound and Rey a heartbeat?
avatar
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 9298
Likes : 44164
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi Trailer(s): NO SPOILERS

Post by IoJovi on Wed 18 Oct - 11:32

@FrolickingFizzgig wrote:Some thoughts on the past week…

It’s become clear to me that most amazing thing about this forum is the members’ capacity to adjust theories based on new reveals. Before TFA hardcore fans latched onto theories like Reywalker, Rey Solo, FinnRey, Snoke/Plagieus, etc. and when they saw the movie, they automatically engaged in mental gymnastics in an attempt to gather evidence for their favourites. Reylo, on the other hand, is the only theory that was born from the movie itself, and that’s why—to this day—it’s largely the only theory that has real narrative potential. We created the theory not because we wanted it to be true or we wanted to win some nonexistent fantasy football game that started before TFA’s release, but because we felt it would make for a good story. To this day, despite how satisfying it’s been to be to see all the fan groups who were condescending toward our theory lose all their theories to #canon, that has remained our #1 incentive. A good story.

Because all we want is a good story we’re capable of weighing options, theories and taking new canon into consideration in a way many other fans simply can’t. Over the past two years we’ve remoulded our theories to fit new contexts at every turn. The most memorable would have to be  losing kid Ben Solo who was corrupted by Snoke and fell in his teens. Most early Reylos were rather confident in that theory, even though it turned out to be quite false. Despite how attached we were, we let it go, accepting that, if Ben’s backstory was potentially changed, it was changed for a good reason… because whatever Rian came up with was ultimately the better story. And it really was. Raw power Rey and Kylo is my new jam, tbh. I’m a big Naruto fan and anything that reminds me of the literal demon trapped inside the main character that goes out of control against friend and foe gets me hyped.

Side-note, but I’m hyped for Rey and Luke now in a way I wasn’t before the trailer. When everybody figured Luke was going to be a crazy, disenfranchised hermit who would ultimately be redeemed by and train Rey I was like “Meh, sure, whatever”. But now that Luke’s scared of her because she reminds him so much of Ben… sIGn Me UpPpPppp!1!!111!!! Bonus points if Rey actually killed her parent(s) and ends up hurting her mentor with the flick of a wrist. I need me some guilty, confused Rey in my life (a.k.a. flawed, nuanced Rey). Meanwhile, everybody was too busy calling Rey a Mary Sue to think… hey, maybe this overwhelming power will actually be part of the story.

Months ago we talked about protagonists who contain a literal-on-a-story-level darkness (Naruto, Harry Potter) and those who are tempted by an ultra powerful darkness (Frodo and the Ring), and to my immense satisfaction Rey’s joining the first fold rather than the #toopureforthisworld fold. Thank freaking god, Rian. That dynamic was not only getting tired as hell, it always would have been received poorly by antis—confirming on some level what they’ve been whining about over two years with regards to Kylo taking over the story and Rey being relegated to the role of Skywalker love-interest.

I honestly wonder if JJ’s original backstory for Kylo and “version” of Reylo wasn’t more “man of dark, woman of light”, and this was one of the big changes Rian made when he came in during TFA’s production. He didn’t want a power struggle between Rey and Kylo with one representing goodness and the other representing temptation balancing each other, he wanted a dynamic of Force equals who both struggle to control their overwhelming and probably destructive Force abilities. What do you guys think? Is this one of the “changes” Rian made?
@FrolickingFizzgig

Lordy Fizz, I'd give this post 1000 likes, if I could.  cheers

This is brilliant.  Although I've been 100% confident of Reylo in some form, I've never had a good grasp on how it would happen until this week.  All the pieces are coming together and it's absolutely beautiful!  I wouldn't be shocked at all if Rey was abandoned because just like Ben, her parents were afraid of her.  Even if their story won't be complete by the end of TLJ, it'll be clear Rey will have such a better understanding of Kylo and his motivations, good or bad, and as a result, will empathize with him.  Maybe even fall in love....
avatar
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 6449
Likes : 36367
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26
Age : 101
Localisation : Atlanta, GA

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi Trailer(s): NO SPOILERS

Post by SheLitAFire on Wed 18 Oct - 11:34

@Rei of Sunshine wrote:
@SanghaRen wrote:
@DarthRen wrote:
@SanghaRen wrote:I do like Han, but all of this is very melodramatic if you ask me Smile So that blaster would still be there for the OT fans - and I am one - so they can say “she still has Han’s blaster” *tears rolling down their cheeks* Sorry for the sarcasm. It’s one of these days where it comes up as a defense mechanism to cope with whatever sith is bugging me.

I guess I am more interested in Rey embracing the Force. And it would probably annoy me less if it was kept on the left side and not so predominant. I mean what is she going to do with it? Shoot at Kylo. Like that worked the first time around. Yeah, I know, I am complaining about a toy making sense...

Still, I am curious to see if maybe they will change something in the design. Maybe they got new information and have to adapt? Change Rey’s right hand so it fits into Kylo’s hand and kids - young and less young - can replay a TLJ scene. Or add a pair of yellow eyes... Twisted Evil

@DarthRen

I am not so sure about the MF ultimately being Rey’s. What if Poe survives - although based on the trailer, it’s looking grim - and he gets it at the end. Personally, I would not mind if neither Rey nor Ben keeps it. Now that would be a fresh start. I know, I know, it would piss off some people. I do wonder if Chewie will indeed return home at the end of the trilogy - he can’t die, please no.
@SanghaRen

Not sure why Poe should get it. There is no emotional pay off or value to him for this unlike Rey or Ben. Just because he's an awesome pilot?
@DarthRen

Yes. Pilot to pilot. New adventures. I have zero emotional connection to the MF by the way. It’s fun, but objects mean little to me in terms of memories. It’s just that the awesome force users who on top of it are awesome MF pilots just sounds restrictive to me like the universe suddenly shrunk. It goes from a smuggler, a princess and a Jedi with their different set of skills in the OT to 2 who have it all. Don’t get me wrong, I do like the two, but I also enjoy it when things are a bit spread over the character ensemble so having someone else than the force superstar duo taking ownership of the MF would make sense to me.
@SanghaRen

I hope no one hates me for this, but I want the Falcon to be destroyed. Either late into TLJ or in Act 1 of Ep IX

It would be the ultimate symbol of letting go of the past (OT) and of defeat and hopelessness.

If it gets destroyed in TLJ, it will really impact the story and the audience. It's like losing Han all over again. Kylo and Rey will be affected too personally. But then there's a chance that it'll magically be repaired (by Chewie and Maz ofc) and at the end of Ep9, it'l be given to Ben and Rey for their honeymoon trip to symbolize that Star Wars now entirely new.

If it gets destroyed in Act 1 of Ep9, then maybe it's never coming back.

Honestly to me, it's like Hedwig or Primrose dying.

*ducks blaster bolts*
@Rei of Sunshine

I think Chewie should get the MF

_________________
"You only know what I want you to,
I know everything you don't want me to.
Your mouth is poison, your mouth is wine,
You think your dreams the same as mine.
I don't love you and I always will.
I wish you'd hold me when I turn my back,
I don't have a choice, I'd still choose you."
Poison and Wine by The Civil Wars

avatar
SheLitAFire
Moderator

Messages : 1040
Likes : 3796
Date d'inscription : 2016-09-15
Age : 31
Localisation : wishing I was a fly on the wall at JJ's pitch meeting to Bob Iger

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi Trailer(s): NO SPOILERS

Post by vaderito on Wed 18 Oct - 11:49

@IoJovi wrote:  
@FrolickingFizzgig

Lordy Fizz, I'd give this post 1000 likes, if I could.  cheers

This is brilliant.  Although I've been 100% confident of Reylo in some form, I've never had a good grasp on how it would happen until this week.  All the pieces are coming together and it's absolutely beautiful!  I wouldn't be shocked at all if Rey was abandoned because just like Ben, her parents were afraid of her.  Even if their story won't be complete by the end of TLJ, it'll be clear Rey will have such a better understanding of Kylo and his motivations, good or bad, and as a result, will empathize with him.  Maybe even fall in love....
@IoJovi

I especially like the conclusion that you never know why headcanon burts is good - there may be even better canon. Like in case of ben turning. #RAWPOWAH beats the original headcanon to a pulp.

I'm just not sure that anything could ever top the waterfall headcanon.  Sad
avatar
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 9298
Likes : 44164
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi Trailer(s): NO SPOILERS

Post by MrsWindu on Wed 18 Oct - 11:58

[quote="vaderito"][quote="FrolickingFizzgig"]Some thoughts on the past week…

It’s become clear to me that most amazing thing about this forum is the members’ capacity to adjust theories based on new reveals. Before TFA hardcore fans latched onto theories like Reywalker, Rey Solo, FinnRey, Snoke/Plagieus, etc. and when they saw the movie, they automatically engaged in mental gymnastics in an attempt to gather evidence for their favourites. Reylo, on the other hand, is the only theory that was born from the movie itself, and that’s why—to this day—it’s largely the only theory that has real narrative potential. We created the theory not because we wanted it to be true or we wanted to win some nonexistent fantasy football game that started before TFA’s release, but because we felt it would make for a good story. To this day, despite how satisfying it’s been to be to see all the fan groups who were condescending toward our theory lose all their theories to #canon, that has remained our #1 incentive. A good story.

I haven't said much for a while but it doesn't mean I'm not totally freaking excited to see theories discussed on this forum most likely come to fruition come December. Thats why I check in with this forum everyday (and only this forum) because of folks '...capacity to adjust theories based on new reveals...' Its good old fashioned detective work - following the crumb/ clues rather than being led by personal agendas.

I do think Rian has added / mades changes to expand the dynamic of Kylo and Rey's backstory to an extent that JJ may not have fully considered.

@SanghaRen the cynic in me says Disney wouldn't get rid of the Millennium Falcon entirely as I assume its still a money spinner for the toy market ( with Han Solo film on the way). However if it does end up being destroyed I'm sure there will be a lot of symbolism behind it.
avatar
MrsWindu
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Messages : 317
Likes : 1904
Date d'inscription : 2017-08-03
Localisation : U.K.

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi Trailer(s): NO SPOILERS

Post by IoJovi on Wed 18 Oct - 11:58

@vaderito wrote:
@IoJovi wrote:  
@FrolickingFizzgig

Lordy Fizz, I'd give this post 1000 likes, if I could.  cheers

This is brilliant.  Although I've been 100% confident of Reylo in some form, I've never had a good grasp on how it would happen until this week.  All the pieces are coming together and it's absolutely beautiful!  I wouldn't be shocked at all if Rey was abandoned because just like Ben, her parents were afraid of her.  Even if their story won't be complete by the end of TLJ, it'll be clear Rey will have such a better understanding of Kylo and his motivations, good or bad, and as a result, will empathize with him.  Maybe even fall in love....
@IoJovi

I especially like the conclusion that you never know why headcanon burts is good - there may be even better canon. Like in case of ben turning. #RAWPOWAH beats the original headcanon to a pulp.

I'm just not sure that anything could ever top the waterfall headcanon.  Sad
@vaderito

I was probably one of the few here who never had the headcanon of Ben falling at 15 and simultaneously being the one who dropped Rey off on Jakku, or at least being linked to it.   In fact, I was grateful when Bloodlines debunked that because I never really liked the idea of them having met before.  I wanted that first initially meeting in the forest on Takadona to stay exactly that - the first time they had met.  

Also, that was just one more nail in the Reywalker coffin, and I couldn't have been more pleased with that.  As for Ben falling at 23, I interpreted it as someone who managed to fight off Snoke just that much longer, rather than someone who was making a choice to go dark as an adult rather than a teen.
avatar
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 6449
Likes : 36367
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26
Age : 101
Localisation : Atlanta, GA

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi Trailer(s): NO SPOILERS

Post by Forsythia on Wed 18 Oct - 11:59

@nite0wl29 wrote:
@SanghaRen wrote:@“Rei of Sunshine”: I actually also thought about the MF being destroyed but did not dare to say it aloud Smile You know “let the past die, kill it if you have to”. The tagging of composed names still does not work on my ipad so I hope you see the post anyway.

@DarthRen: yeah, but with Ben, we come back to things having to be passed down the family tree and this message is to me a bit archaic. I think things can be passed down to someone who actually wants it and would use it properly. And Ben potentially getting both the legacy lightsaber and MF would be much. I think when someone wants to move away that much from his past, he doesn’t one day wake up and say “Actually, I did not realize it before, but I do want it.” I mean, in the end, it’s probably going to go the way you say, to not have a full generation of people cry their eyes out over a ship, but I like to think that maybe it will go another less expected way.

At the same time, I think Kylo haters would cry their eyes out too if he gets the MF. So there’s no perfect solution. Yeah, let it crash and burn Very Happy
@SanghaRen

With all the Kylo haters I would love to know their reasoning for the hate had Vader survived in RotJ. I mean, the blood on his hands is far more than Kylo's. I certainly never heard the cries when Obi Wan died. The hypocrisy is ridiculous. BTW, I've been staring at your gif for probably 5 minutes trying to type this lol
I've heard a lot of people claim Kylo is worse because of the patricide, which apparently is unforgivable. I honestly don't understand why they think killing one grown man is worse than Anakin killing all the younglings, just because that man is his father? It might be rooted in the belief that you have to honour your father, which is something I can't stand behind, because there are lots of terrible fathers out there (not that I'm saying Han is a bad father). Besides, I think a lot of people just hate Kylo for it because Han was a popular character. If Kylo's father had been an unknown character, most people probably wouldn't care that much. If Han had been a villain, no one would have cared that it's patricide, because they would have felt he deserved it, same way antis want Rey to kill her cousin Kylo.
avatar
Forsythia
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Messages : 298
Likes : 1651
Date d'inscription : 2016-05-11

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi Trailer(s): NO SPOILERS

Post by vaderito on Wed 18 Oct - 12:15

@Forsythia In fiction and movies, we tend to sympathize with characters who we know rather than with characters who are only sympathetic by default. So one is going to feel for han's death but nothing for younglings because one didn't know them. They are just a bunch of canon-fodder, even if kids. Now, if they were actually developed, had names, personalities and, most importantly, some nice relationship with Anakin up to that point, it would have stung hard. But maybe that's why Lucas didn't go there cause he wanted Anakin's OT redemption to cloud our judgment about the enormity of his crime. Like have a cake and eat it too - he kills kids which is terrible but people don't feel that bad cause they didn't have any investment in them. It's a cop out to be sure. I guess LF has something great in store for Kylo cause they are trying to pull this tough thing off (though I do expect that Snoke will take a lot of blame going forward).
avatar
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 9298
Likes : 44164
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi Trailer(s): NO SPOILERS

Post by FrolickingFizzgig on Wed 18 Oct - 12:15

@IoJovi wrote:
@vaderito wrote:
@IoJovi wrote:  
@FrolickingFizzgig

Lordy Fizz, I'd give this post 1000 likes, if I could.  cheers

This is brilliant.  Although I've been 100% confident of Reylo in some form, I've never had a good grasp on how it would happen until this week.  All the pieces are coming together and it's absolutely beautiful!  I wouldn't be shocked at all if Rey was abandoned because just like Ben, her parents were afraid of her.  Even if their story won't be complete by the end of TLJ, it'll be clear Rey will have such a better understanding of Kylo and his motivations, good or bad, and as a result, will empathize with him.  Maybe even fall in love....
@IoJovi

I especially like the conclusion that you never know why headcanon burts is good - there may be even better canon. Like in case of ben turning. #RAWPOWAH beats the original headcanon to a pulp.

I'm just not sure that anything could ever top the waterfall headcanon.  Sad
@vaderito

I was probably one of the few here who never had the headcanon of Ben falling at 15 and simultaneously being the one who dropped Rey off on Jakku, or at least being linked to it.   In fact, I was grateful when Bloodlines debunked that because I never really liked the idea of them having met before.  I wanted that first initially meeting in the forest on Takadona to stay exactly that - the first time they had met.  

Also, that was just one more nail in the Reywalker coffin, and I couldn't have been more pleased with that.  As for Ben falling at 23, I interpreted it as someone who managed to fight off Snoke just that much longer, rather than someone who was making a choice to go dark as an adult rather than a teen.
@IoJovi
I never made the leap to say Ben falling as a teenager was the only possible choice for his backstory, but I considered it a good possibility until I saw that Tweet from Pablo about how the temple destruction wasn't as long ago as people were anticipating. Then I adjusted my thinking, and that was that. I think a lot of us didn't see that Tweet, so the reveal came from Bloodline instead.

Thing is I'm definitely more inclined to think that Rian removed the "Ben was groomed by Snoke since he was a kid" plotline and replaced it with Kylo losing control of his #rawpower and wrecking the temple unintentionally. I'm not saying Snoke wasn't still watching him, but I'm no longer sure we're getting a story where he was actively grooming him. IMO, the "vein of darkness, etc." in Aftermath could be a hint at the unique raw power Kylo was going to be born with, not necessarily an implication that Snoke was f***ing with him in the womb.
avatar
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 3504
Likes : 30294
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25
Age : 23
Localisation : Canada

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi Trailer(s): NO SPOILERS

Post by fuhry on Wed 18 Oct - 12:22

@Rei of Sunshine wrote:
@SanghaRen wrote:
@DarthRen wrote:
@SanghaRen wrote:I do like Han, but all of this is very melodramatic if you ask me Smile So that blaster would still be there for the OT fans - and I am one - so they can say “she still has Han’s blaster” *tears rolling down their cheeks* Sorry for the sarcasm. It’s one of these days where it comes up as a defense mechanism to cope with whatever sith is bugging me.

I guess I am more interested in Rey embracing the Force. And it would probably annoy me less if it was kept on the left side and not so predominant. I mean what is she going to do with it? Shoot at Kylo. Like that worked the first time around. Yeah, I know, I am complaining about a toy making sense...

Still, I am curious to see if maybe they will change something in the design. Maybe they got new information and have to adapt? Change Rey’s right hand so it fits into Kylo’s hand and kids - young and less young - can replay a TLJ scene. Or add a pair of yellow eyes... Twisted Evil

@DarthRen

I am not so sure about the MF ultimately being Rey’s. What if Poe survives - although based on the trailer, it’s looking grim - and he gets it at the end. Personally, I would not mind if neither Rey nor Ben keeps it. Now that would be a fresh start. I know, I know, it would piss off some people. I do wonder if Chewie will indeed return home at the end of the trilogy - he can’t die, please no.
@SanghaRen

Not sure why Poe should get it. There is no emotional pay off or value to him for this unlike Rey or Ben. Just because he's an awesome pilot?
@DarthRen

Yes. Pilot to pilot. New adventures. I have zero emotional connection to the MF by the way. It’s fun, but objects mean little to me in terms of memories. It’s just that the awesome force users who on top of it are awesome MF pilots just sounds restrictive to me like the universe suddenly shrunk. It goes from a smuggler, a princess and a Jedi with their different set of skills in the OT to 2 who have it all. Don’t get me wrong, I do like the two, but I also enjoy it when things are a bit spread over the character ensemble so having someone else than the force superstar duo taking ownership of the MF would make sense to me.
@SanghaRen

I hope no one hates me for this, but I want the Falcon to be destroyed. Either late into TLJ or in Act 1 of Ep IX

It would be the ultimate symbol of letting go of the past (OT) and of defeat and hopelessness.

If it gets destroyed in TLJ, it will really impact the story and the audience. It's like losing Han all over again. Kylo and Rey will be affected too personally. But then there's a chance that it'll magically be repaired (by Chewie and Maz ofc) and at the end of Ep9, it'l be given to Ben and Rey for their honeymoon trip to symbolize that Star Wars now entirely new.

If it gets destroyed in Act 1 of Ep9, then maybe it's never coming back.

Honestly to me, it's like Hedwig or Primrose dying.

*ducks blaster bolts*
@Rei of Sunshine

I wrote an episode VIII script shortly after the release of TFA. In it, during the penultimate battle over Kashyyk, Rey and Kylo have a lightsaber battle in the close quarters of the falcon. In his rage, Kylo cuts vital lines and causes the ship to plummet to the surface. Chewie heroically crash lands the Falcon in the treetops, destroyed beyond repair, and Chewie decides to stay and retire.

Also, Leia brandishes a lightsaber and prevents Luke from killing Kylo Smile . My script ends with Kylo in captivity. It doesn't really go the Reylo route - interestingly, it wasn't until after that I discovered and became enamored with a Reylo thread on theForce.net which was basically shouted down. My big thing was Rey Kenobi, I also kind of got shouted down, so I came here and found all the Reylo people!

By the way, I posted my script there, with the very clear caveat that this was fan fiction and not a leak, and still got shouted down for being a false leaker.
avatar
fuhry
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Messages : 135
Likes : 485
Date d'inscription : 2017-01-06

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi Trailer(s): NO SPOILERS

Post by MindAndMagic on Wed 18 Oct - 12:39

The basis for shared #rawpower was definitely always there in TFA, it's just a matter of when did it evolve into a more defined story concept. I personally get the sense that JJ and RJ have and continue to work closely together to create a cohesive story, so it's not so much that Rain changed anything, but rather expanding upon plot threads that were only hinted at in the first instalment and I think he is doing a very good job at that. Rey and Kylo's connection in TFA was mysterious enough for Rian to take it into whatever direction he desired (which was obviously approved by LF, otherwise they would have reacted like they've done on two separate occasions recently).

I too never had any particular headcanons with regards to Ben's fall, so I wasn't surprised when we found out it happened only 6 years prior to TFA. It's hard to say whether they changed it from a manipulation-induced attack to an accidental rampage caused by the #rawpower acting out, i.e. an unfortunate accident, but because we now know Luke was present when it happened AND he seems genuinely afraid and traumatised by the memory of it, it looks like the latter is much more likely. He is afraid of another disaster happening, this time with Rey because he sees a shadow of his nephew in her/a reminder of his own failure. In any case, I don't think this scenario excludes the possibility of Snoke manipulating young Ben from early childhood/maybe even before birth as subtly indicated in Bloodline. It seems very logical to me that he would go to him in desperation after the accident because he has no other choice and Snoke would only try to antagonise him further against his family to use his power.

I don't know if JJ initially saw Rey and Kylo's dynamic as more of a classic light/dark dichotomy, but I'm glad Rian is taking it in this direction, it's much more interesting and could give some much needed internal conflict, nuance and depth to Rey's character. It seemed all too easy in TFA with her being super powerful and thus prompting all the Mary Sue talk, but TLJ will demonstrate it's not as straightforward/not that great when it's revealed that not only is it a destructive, immensely dangerous power that is hard to control, but it is also the very same power possessed by her enemy.
avatar
MindAndMagic
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Messages : 430
Likes : 4405
Date d'inscription : 2016-05-22
Age : 23

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi Trailer(s): NO SPOILERS

Post by DarthRen on Wed 18 Oct - 13:15

@PalmettoBlue

I said that Kylo is not gonna kill Leia, because he already killed one of his parents and what would be the point. Apparently, the more OT characters he kills, the better and more evil is as it should be. Then Reylo, they think that it will be typical hero vs villain fight in every movie and Rey will win at the end and Luke will help her against Snoke and Kylo.

I'm so grateful for this board because it feels like sometimes people can't understand my thoughts and ideas on Kylo, Rey, Reylo, Luke etc. I come here and agree on som any things. Thumbs up
avatar
DarthRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1920
Likes : 5625
Date d'inscription : 2016-12-05
Age : 28
Localisation : Prague, Czech Republic

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi Trailer(s): NO SPOILERS

Post by SoloSideCousin on Wed 18 Oct - 13:41

@MindAndMagic wrote:The basis for shared #rawpower was definitely always there in TFA, it's just a matter of when did it evolve into a more defined story concept. I personally get the sense that JJ and RJ have and continue to work closely together to create a cohesive story, so it's not so much that Rain changed anything, but rather expanding upon plot threads that were only hinted at in the first instalment and I think he is doing a very good job at that. Rey and Kylo's connection in TFA was mysterious enough for Rian to take it into whatever direction he desired (which was obviously approved by LF, otherwise they would have reacted like they've done on two separate occasions recently).

I too never had any particular headcanons with regards to Ben's fall, so I wasn't surprised when we found out it happened only 6 years prior to TFA. It's hard to say whether they changed it from a manipulation-induced attack to an accidental rampage caused by the #rawpower acting out, i.e. an unfortunate accident, but because we now know Luke was present when it happened AND he seems genuinely afraid and traumatised by the memory of it, it looks like the latter is much more likely. He is afraid of another disaster happening, this time with Rey because he sees a shadow of his nephew in her/a reminder of his own failure. In any case, I don't think this scenario excludes the possibility of Snoke manipulating young Ben from early childhood/maybe even before birth as subtly indicated in Bloodline. It seems very logical to me that he would go to him in desperation after the accident because he has no other choice and Snoke would only try to antagonise him further against his family to use his power.

I don't know if JJ initially saw Rey and Kylo's dynamic as more of a classic light/dark dichotomy, but I'm glad Rian is taking it in this direction, it's much more interesting and could give some much needed internal conflict, nuance and depth to Rey's character. It seemed all too easy in TFA with her being super powerful and thus prompting all the Mary Sue talk, but TLJ will demonstrate it's not as straightforward/not that great when it's revealed that not only is it a destructive, immensely dangerous power that is hard to control, but it is also the very same power possessed by her enemy.
@MindAndMagic

I could not agree with you more on all of this! Very Happy
avatar
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 3921
Likes : 17892
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi Trailer(s): NO SPOILERS

Post by snufkin on Wed 18 Oct - 14:14

Apologies if it's been brought up already, but Raw Poweh has to be what they meant by how Rian is changing the rules for the Force. Which means a lot of fans (the proverbial cats chasing after a laser pointer) jumped on as being their tiresome argument about Grey Jedi. Which it isn't a thing, it isn't a thing for what he came up with. It also makes sense now part of the reason because we've seen it before in Looper (different function in the story and different genre mashup of noir/sci-fi) and sneaky JJ outright mentioned David Cronenburg's Scanners as an inspiration for the sound design of the Force signatures battling during the Interrogation Scene.


Last edited by snufkin on Wed 18 Oct - 14:15; edited 1 time in total
avatar
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 6109
Likes : 26555
Date d'inscription : 2016-04-17
Localisation : it's in the chorus of Pavement's "Unfair"

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi Trailer(s): NO SPOILERS

Post by DarthRen on Wed 18 Oct - 14:14

@SanghaRen wrote:

@DarthRen: yeah, but with Ben, we come back to things having to be passed down the family tree and this message is to me a bit archaic. I think things can be passed down to someone who actually wants it and would use it properly. And Ben potentially getting both the legacy lightsaber and MF would be much. I think when someone wants to move away that much from his past, he doesn’t one day wake up and say “Actually, I did not realize it before, but I do want it.” I mean, in the end, it’s probably going to go the way you say, to not have a full generation of people cry their eyes out over a ship, but I like to think that maybe it will go another less expected way.

At the same time, I think Kylo haters would cry their eyes out too if he gets the MF. So there’s no perfect solution. Yeah, let it crash and burn Very Happy
@SanghaRen

I would prefer Rey as sort of symbolic thing and she is also a good pilot. I'm not sure Ben would even feel like he should own it or fly it. I think Chewie as @SheLitAFirehere pointed out is a good option, maybe the fairest one. Ben would try to find his own way and move from the past or at least not thinking about it this way.

If they destroy MF, imagine the outrage. Shocked I think if anything, it could happen in Episode IX, not TLJ given we have Solo Star Wars movie coming up.
avatar
DarthRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1920
Likes : 5625
Date d'inscription : 2016-12-05
Age : 28
Localisation : Prague, Czech Republic

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi Trailer(s): NO SPOILERS

Post by snufkin on Wed 18 Oct - 14:23

The whole Ben fell at 15, killed everybody except for Rey and dumped her on Jakku theories, I don't know where those came from. Because that's not what I saw in TFA, like @iojovi said, based on his behavior (though they have some major explaining to do about why he killed LST and the village). It wasn't until after I saw TFA for a 2nd time because of my suspicions that I even went online to see what others thought and my brain exploded from Reddit theories and School Shooter/MRA hot takes. I'd thought that he'd killed them but that it was some type of battle where he got outed like Leia in Bloodline and it was a kill or be killed situation. Which I was like WTF? Or that he'd been kidnapped and broken down/turned based on his estrangement from his family and society. Which you see in figures (at least here in the States) like Patty Hearst or Bowe Bergdahl. Who are both victims and collaborators. That's what I thought, but Raw Power is so much more elegant, simple, and unifying for everything. Even explains what Leia went through during her pregnancy, that was an ancient power in the Force released by her and Han conceiving Ben.

Also I really hope that Rey didn't blow up her parents. I mean, they could go that route. But that seems like she wouldn't be so much able to identify with Ben over patricide and matricide as much as horribly guilty/devastated. I do think that if she showed some of these nascent powers when she was little, she either would've been cast out in the proverbial woods like Hansel and Gretel or Snow White. Or that like Finn, her family was targeted as part of The Empire Needs Children but at least were able to keep her out of the FO's hands despite the personal costs.
avatar
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 6109
Likes : 26555
Date d'inscription : 2016-04-17
Localisation : it's in the chorus of Pavement's "Unfair"

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi Trailer(s): NO SPOILERS

Post by FrolickingFizzgig on Wed 18 Oct - 14:25

@snufkin wrote:The whole Ben fell at 15, killed everybody except for Rey and dumped her on Jakku theories, I don't know where those came from. Because that's not what I saw in TFA, like @iojovi said, based on his behavior (though they have some major explaining to do about why he killed LST and the village). It wasn't until after I saw TFA for a 2nd time because of my suspicions that I even went online to see what others thought and my brain exploded from Reddit theories and School Shooter/MRA hot takes. I'd thought that he'd killed them but that it was some type of battle where he got outed like Leia in Bloodline and it was a kill or be killed situation. Which I was like WTF? Or that he'd been kidnapped and broken down/turned based on his estrangement from his family and society. Which you see in figures (at least here in the States) like Patty Hearst or Bowe Bergdahl. Who are both victims and collaborators. That's what I thought, but Raw Power is so much more elegant, simple, and unifying for everything. Even explains what Leia went through during her pregnancy, that was an ancient power in the Force released by her and Han conceiving Ben.

Also I really hope that Rey didn't blow up her parents. I mean, they could go that route. But that seems like she wouldn't be so much able to identify with Ben over patricide and matricide as much as horribly guilty/devastated. I do think that if she showed some of these nascent powers when she was little, she either would've been cast out in the proverbial woods like Hansel and Gretel or Snow White. Or that like Finn, her family was targeted as part of The Empire Needs Children but at least were able to keep her out of the FO's hands despite the personal costs.
@snufkin
I think the theory became popular after a Youtube video where someone connected Rey as Luke's daughter to Kylo wiping out the Jedi at the temple and then abandoning his kid cousin on Jakku.
avatar
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 3504
Likes : 30294
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25
Age : 23
Localisation : Canada

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi Trailer(s): NO SPOILERS

Post by snufkin on Wed 18 Oct - 14:27

@FrolickingFizzgig - I figured it was Reddit, but let me guess, Mike Zeroh. I swear the whole subculture of theories around this trilogy would make for an excellent case study on conspiracy theories, fake news, and the hive mind. Because look at the ratio of signal to noise for what got put out there to explain what happened versus what's probably going to turn out to be the actual story.
avatar
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 6109
Likes : 26555
Date d'inscription : 2016-04-17
Localisation : it's in the chorus of Pavement's "Unfair"

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi Trailer(s): NO SPOILERS

Post by fuhry on Wed 18 Oct - 14:32

I think Rose is going to get the Falcon.
avatar
fuhry
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Messages : 135
Likes : 485
Date d'inscription : 2017-01-06

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi Trailer(s): NO SPOILERS

Post by reylo1992 on Wed 18 Oct - 19:05

An excellent article in response to people who think that the trailer lies about Kylo and Rey's relationship. Basically all what we've been pointing out for a week Wink
http://screenrant.com/star-wars-last-jedi-trailer-rey-kylo-ren-join/
avatar
reylo1992
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1242
Likes : 4907
Date d'inscription : 2016-07-22

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi Trailer(s): NO SPOILERS

Post by reylo1992 on Wed 18 Oct - 19:21

And another one aknowledging the potentiality that Kylo would become Rey's love interest instead of Finn or Poe:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2017/10/14/a-last-jedi-theory-that-would-change-the-core-of-the-entire-star-wars-universe/#66c02de33797

Finally! After nearly two years, Reylo article begin to flourish cheers
avatar
reylo1992
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1242
Likes : 4907
Date d'inscription : 2016-07-22

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi Trailer(s): NO SPOILERS

Post by Guest on Wed 18 Oct - 19:42

I would also like to see the Millennium Falcon destroyed. It should have gone with Han really because it now feels like a redundant relic of the past. It’s not like destroying it in the ST would be the end for it because we have the anthology movies, comics, books, animated series. In that sense, the MF is immortal but the saga movies should have new ships with the chance to become iconic. I also kind of feel that way about C-3PO and R2-D2... I grew up with those droids and I do love them, I just think we need to move on. C-3PO should perish with Leia as he’s sort of become her right-hand droid. R2-D2 should go when Luke goes or go into long term hibernation. By the end of the ST, I feel the new characters should have come to the fore and the remnants of the past should be laid to rest. Like I said, nothing ever really dies in Star Wars so I would personally welcome an out with the old and in with the new Spring clean by the end of Episode IX.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi Trailer(s): NO SPOILERS

Post by AceofWands on Wed 18 Oct - 20:09

@FrolickingFizzgig wrote:


I think the theory became popular after a Youtube video where someone connected Rey as Luke's daughter to Kylo wiping out the Jedi at the temple and then abandoning his kid cousin on Jakku.
@FrolickingFizzgig

Those theories were floating around before the movie came out, based on the MSW outline. Everyone knew Kylo was Leia's son who had turned, and who had destroyed the Jedi academy, everyone knew Rey was an orphan, and a lot of people put 2 and 2 together.

Kylo turning and dumping Rey on Jakku comes from the early Reywalker / Rey Solo theories. So I really wouldn't say it came after the Youtube video, more like the YT video talked about the popular theories at the time.

avatar
AceofWands
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Messages : 697
Likes : 2294
Date d'inscription : 2016-09-11
Age : 32

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi Trailer(s): NO SPOILERS

Post by Forsythia on Wed 18 Oct - 20:32

Mrs Ben Solo wrote:I would also like to see the Millennium Falcon destroyed. It should have gone with Han really because it now feels like a redundant relic of the past. It’s not like destroying it in the ST would be the end for it because we have the anthology movies, comics, books, animated series. In that sense, the MF is immortal but the saga movies should have new ships with the chance to become iconic. I also kind of feel that way about C-3PO and R2-D2... I grew up with those droids and I do love them, I just think we need to move on. C-3PO should perish with Leia as he’s sort of become her right-hand droid. R2-D2 should go when Luke goes or go into long term hibernation. By the end of the ST, I feel the new characters should have come to the fore and the remnants of the past should be laid to rest. Like I said, nothing ever really dies in Star Wars so I would personally welcome an out with the old and in with the new Spring clean by the end of Episode IX.
@Mrs Ben Solo

Yes, though I love the OT, I also think that it's time for the MF, C-3PO and R2-D2 to go (and Chewbacca, too, to be honest). They've been around for a long time and should be very outdated. Aren't 3PO and R2 at least 60 years old? Considering technological progress it seems unrealistic that they haven't been replaced by more modern droids yet Very Happy I also think their inclusion in the new films for nostalgic reasons feels kind of forced and it's limiting the story possibilities, because there's so many characters that have to be there by default and if you then add new similar characters, it just gets crowded and some of the characters become unnecessary. I would prefer something new for the new trilogy, instead of relying on characters and props from the OT, and I think the films can look and feel like Star Wars without the OT stuff. We have BB-8 now who can do the same things as R2, so do we really need R2? And with Rey speaking droid, do we need 3PO to translate anything (or why not show new models of protocol droids with the Resistance)? We have Rey, Kylo and Poe who are good pilots, do we need Chewbacca as a co-pilot? I'm also not really a fan of cameos by old characters when they don't contribute anything important to the story and are only there for nostalgic reasons (like that pointless moment of showing 3PO and R2 in Rogue One...) And while I'm at it, I really want Rey to get her own lightsaber instead of using Anakin's. Though I'm not a fan of the PT, I was always very excited about seeing new lightsabers in each film and was disappointed that they brought back Anakin's for TFA and TLJ, and Luke will probably still have his green lightsaber from RotJ, since it appeared along with Anakin's and Kylo's lightsabers in one of the behind the scenes features for TFA.

I hope other OT lovers don't hate me now for wanting the ST to ditch most of the OT stuff Very Happy
avatar
Forsythia
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Messages : 298
Likes : 1651
Date d'inscription : 2016-05-11

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum