Discussion: Rian Johnson at the Helm of a New Star Wars Trilogy

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Discussion: Rian Johnson at the Helm of a New Star Wars Trilogy

Post by IoJovi on Fri 10 Nov - 3:25

@Anakin Skywalker wrote:I'm glad that we will have so many SW movies, I'm glad RJ will do it, but they say it's and of Skywalker era, that means no more Skywalker/solos?

one of the strongest argument for reylo was the need of new generation and Kylo is last member of Skywalker bloodline, so he should have kids... now it isn't needed anymore... to be realistic, do you think it means there wont be reylo?
if they are planning reylo why would they refuse to have story about super force sensitive generation, with both forcesensitive parents?
@Anakin Skywalker

Not at all. Disney is looking to bank as much $$$ off their 4 Billion dollar investment from the purchase of Lucasfilm as possible. While this next trilogy may not be about the Skywalkers, nothing is to say we won’t get a trilogy surrounding my precious Reylo babies ten years from now.... The Star Wars machine is a long term investment, and they aren’t solely looking five years into the future. I’m thinking their long term plan might even span as long as twenty years from now...

IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig on Fri 10 Nov - 3:34

@Anakin Skywalker wrote:I'm glad that we will have so many SW movies, I'm glad RJ will do it, but they say it's and of Skywalker era, that means no more Skywalker/solos?

one of the strongest argument for reylo was the need of new generation and Kylo is last member of Skywalker bloodline, so he should have kids... now it isn't needed anymore... to be realistic, do you think it means there wont be reylo?
if they are planning reylo why would they refuse to have story about super force sensitive generation, with both forcesensitive parents?
@Anakin Skywalker

@Anakin Skywalker
I didn't see anybody say there would never be more stories about the Skywalkers, just that the next trilogy specifically wouldn't revolve around them. And honestly, good. I want a concise story, one that isn't 75% focused on setting up the next trilogy.

I'm seeing this as an investment for Disney. They know what they're doing and they know it's going to work, but the first step had to be ensuring that they wouldn't over-saturate the market with Skywalker stories. The SW universe can be as big as they want to make it. Past, future, present, across the galaxy, whatever. They have no limits with these films, and TFA and Rogue One already proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that they can sell SW movies that don't revolve around Skywalker protagonists. Also, look at the next 2 standalones: Han and Obi-Wan. Again, not Skywalkers. They have nothing to be worried about.
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Fri 10 Nov - 5:14

@PalmettoBlue wrote:We wouldn't have the intercontinental railroad without Leland Stanford as well as the men who toiled to build it and paid for it with their blood. Stanford paid with treasure.

You're talking about my part of the country and how the Big Four literally screwed over Theodore Judah and he ended up dead as a result of it. Always love how his wife told them to go to Hell with their fake attempt to make nice. I don't do as much rock climbing or hiking these days, but plenty of areas near me where you can literally either climb or trudge over the granite he surveyed while hiking/climbing through the Sierras when it was just a crazy idea he had. Also, I used to work with the curator who discovered the daguerreotype of him as a young man and no joke, he was pretty hot. I know that the Stanfords had their own share of woes with the death of their son and rumored poisoning of Mrs. Stanford. But I always have a hard time keeping a straight face in situations where a docent starts extolling the legacy/philanthropy of the Stanfords (or Huntington, Crocker, or Hopkins). They had no shame in the amount of graft and manipulation that the Transcontinental Railroad allowed them to engage in.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Fri 10 Nov - 12:20

Yeah, jumping to conclusions that this is the end of Skywalkers, whether because some want it or because they fear it, is preposterous. IMO, this is quite a brilliant move. Unlike Marvel that announces new movies thus revealing that characters we should fear for will be alive and well, SW is raising the stakes for IX because many fans are reading this news as the end of the Saga. Which it isn't. It isn't a Saga replacement.

Moreover, now that we have a non-Sky trilogy and KK said they were looking for stories for Rey, Finn, Poe (aka non-Sky characters), do you honestly believe they'll make only non-SKY movies? Retire their biggest moneymaker (movies and merch) for trilogy that could go either way (is anyone still buying Bodhi toys?) and characters that didn't set sales on fire first time around either (except for Rey). Sure they will. IMO, this is a good news for the Young Skywalkah cause he's the only Skywalkah that can continue the lineage. Like, there's no way they kill that family and start Dameron Dynasty or whatever. Not a chance.
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Man Without A Star on Fri 10 Nov - 12:28

F*** YESSSS!!!!

Old Republic? Please? Razz
Man Without A Star
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Fri 10 Nov - 13:51

@Man Without A Star wrote:F*** YESSSS!!!!

@Man Without A Star

That's just fans assumption/wishful thinking. Not an official statement.

@Frolickingfizzgig

TFA and Rogue One already proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that they can sell SW movies that don't revolve around Skywalker protagonists.

How so? Kylo aka Skywalker protagonist still sells more merch than non-Sky protagonists combine minus Rey. Nobody is buying Bodhi Rook merch. Nobody. Etc.
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Man Without A Star on Fri 10 Nov - 14:33

@vaderito wrote:

@Man Without A Star

That's just fans assumption/wishful thinking. Not an official statement.

@Frolickingfizzgig

TFA and Rogue One already proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that they can sell SW movies that don't revolve around Skywalker protagonists.

How so? Kylo aka Skywalker protagonist still sells more merch than non-Sky protagonists combine minus Rey. Nobody is buying Bodhi Rook merch. Nobody. Etc.
@vaderito

I know, I even wrote it as such.
Man Without A Star
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by panki on Fri 10 Nov - 14:36

@Man Without A Star

I would love to see something set in the Old Republic...we've been getting hints of stories set in that time in canon novels like Aftermath and Lost Stars....but I hope they bring in some of the EU characters even if they modify the stories.

We are the spark, that’ll light the fire, that’ll burn the First Order down.
panki

http://starwarstheorist.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Fri 10 Nov - 15:33

@vaderito wrote:
@Frolickingfizzgig

@vaderito

That "... minus Rey" is a pretty huge qualification. I'm not saying the Skywalker saga isn't always going to be the #1 biggest cash cow for Lucasfilm - I don't doubt at all that this is the case; that's 40 years of enthusiasm that has proven itself to go on and on - but the example of Rey herself proves that an unrelated character can be a runaway success sales-wise.

As for RO, the very nature of that film is a big damper on merch sales. Besides, nobody is buying Bodhi Rook merchandise because I doubt there even was any! He was a minor supporting character, so hardly a fair comparison to Rey and Kylo. Chirrut was a slightly bigger supporting character - a favourite of mine, as it happens - and I could only hunt down a Chirrut mug and a Chirrut badge. That's it. Jyn would be a fairer comparison, and I don't know how well Jyn sold. Probably not half as well as Rey, but again, it isn't solely down to Skywalker saga vs. spin-offs, but also the nature of the story and the character. Jyn was never going to capture the popular imagination the way that Rey did.

Anyway, the Skywalker saga isn't going to end IMO, but I think they're wise to keep it more of a rarity, and in the meantime the sky's the limit for new characters and new stories. That they're planning a new trilogy right off the bat means that they've got some huge plans, and providing that Rian really is as good as everyone says, the new stories and characters could potentially be something huge in their own right.

Let's say (as a silly thought experiment) that in an alternate universe Lucasfilm had first created LOTR, and then went on to create Harry Potter. Two unrelated things, both huge.

Imagine hitting the jackpot twice. Even if you can't replicate the success of the Skywalker saga, you may still create a huge new moneymaker in the process, and that is surely worth trying?
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Fri 10 Nov - 15:42

@Darth Dingbat I agree, I'm just saying that RO isn't exactly a proof of anything. And it got a big bump thanks to TFA which Solo won't have. Not all of those SW movies are going to hit a billion. They have to be prepared for more realistic Marvel-like run with some non-saga movies considering that SW is only one of many franchises overseas but not THE franchise like in US.
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 on Fri 10 Nov - 16:55

The majority of the GA/toycollectors/kids do not really "believe" that Rey is unrelated, they believe she is yet "unassigned" legacy character. How well does Jynn et al from RO sell in comparision to Rey, Luke & Kylo?
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria Antonietta on Fri 10 Nov - 17:02

MY HUSBAND
Maria Antonietta
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ReyofLightSide on Fri 10 Nov - 17:13

The news tells me TLJ must be awesome, just like we knew it would be.

I don't think we have seen the last of the Skywalkers. I am hoping for Reylo kids stories as well. I always thought Ezra Miller would be great casting and I could totally see him as a child of Rey and Ben.
ReyofLightSide
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Fri 10 Nov - 17:20

@spacebaby45678 wrote:The majority of the GA/toycollectors/kids do not really "believe" that Rey is unrelated, they believe she is yet "unassigned" legacy character. How well does Jynn et al from RO sell in comparision to Rey, Luke & Kylo?
@spacebaby45678

Do you honestly think her unconfirmed legacy status is the reason Rey sells so well?

Jyn has many strikes against her popularity, alas. Heroine in a one-off story with no further stories to be told and no further mysteries to be solved, just one player in an ensemble cast, she's not a FS superhero with a lightsabre, her story isn't a space fairytale but a rather sombre tale of sacrifice in a war, she isn't a relatably child-like figure on a coming-of-age journey nor is she as charismatic as Rey, she gets a bleak ending that destroys all possibility of future adventures... just to name a few.
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 on Fri 10 Nov - 17:24

@Darth Dingbat wrote:
@spacebaby45678 wrote:The majority of the GA/toycollectors/kids do not really "believe" that Rey is unrelated, they believe she is yet "unassigned" legacy character. How well does Jynn et al from RO sell in comparision to Rey, Luke & Kylo?
@spacebaby45678

Do you honestly think her unconfirmed legacy status is the reason Rey sells so well?

Jyn has many strikes against her popularity, alas. Heroine in a one-off story with no further stories to be told and no further mysteries to be solved, just one player in an ensemble cast, she's not a FS superhero with a lightsabre, her story isn't a space fairytale but a rather sombre tale of sacrifice in a war, she isn't a relatably child-like figure on a coming-of-age journey nor is she as charismatic as Rey, she gets a bleak ending that destroys all possibility of future adventures... just to name a few.
@Darth Dingbat

Partially yes, and especially to those who think Rey is really Luke's daughter. In fact, the CEO of Hasbro said at SWC 2015 that Obi Wan toy sales had seen an uptick because of all the speculation so the effect can be seen in reverse.
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Fri 10 Nov - 17:39

@Darth Dingbat wrote:
@spacebaby45678

@Darth Dingbat

As a toy-buying parent of a kindergartner, I'll throw out another strike against Rogue One... It's the one Star Wars movie that my daughter hasn't seen at least most of. We've had some good conversations about the themes/character motivations of the PT, OT, and TFA, but I just don't feel like she's really able to grasp Rogue One yet, so she won't see it until she's a little older. I know that she's not the only one of her friends who has not yet seen it, either.

Obviously, I'm not going to buy her toys for a movie that she hasn't seen....especially not when OT and ST toys are readily available.

(As a side note, she really likes Padme, and it's kind of a bummer that even with the flaws of the PT, we haven't seen at least some revival of PT characters/toys as part of the overall Star Wars revivial. At least we'll be getting a Padme FoD doll at some point, right?)
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Acritiqua on Fri 10 Nov - 18:35

Jyn doesn't wield a lightsaber and she died at the end. I'm pretty sure imagining my child self that I'd be way more interested in a Rey action figure.
Acritiqua
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by ReyofLightSide on Fri 10 Nov - 19:05

Could the trilogy be about...Rey's family and lineage?
ReyofLightSide
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Fri 10 Nov - 19:18

@ReyofLightSide wrote:Could the trilogy be about...Rey's family and lineage?
@ReyofLightSide

LOL, I thought so too. Likely not but it would be fun.
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Fri 10 Nov - 19:32

@vaderito wrote:
@ReyofLightSide

@vaderito

I believe the official press release said this would also focus on a “different corner of the galaxy”, making it very unlikely it’d have anything to do with Rey’s family, or any other high profile character, like say, Obi Wan for example.  

I’m expecting a brand new host of characters.
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Fri 10 Nov - 19:46

@IoJovi wrote:
@vaderito wrote:
@ReyofLightSide

@vaderito

I believe the official press release said this would also focus on a “different corner of the galaxy”, making it very unlikely it’d have anything to do with Rey’s family, or any other high profile character, like say, Obi Wan for example.  

@IoJovi

I'm joking cause Reywalkers take this trilogy as proof of Reywalker so I'm, like, what if the trilogy is about Rey's parents from Unknown Regions? Twisted Evil

neither is happening but just an illustration that Reywalker logic is as flawed and easily debunkable as ever. lol!
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Fri 10 Nov - 19:50

@vaderito wrote:
@ReyofLightSide

@vaderito

In my opinion it's a distinct possibility that the new trilogy delves into something that is introduced in TLJ in some significant way. Whether it's ancient history, or Rey's lineage... or both...

They're obviously excited and confident about Rian's ideas to make it an entire trilogy, and I've got a hunch that confidence is based on more than just him pitching a fun story. Would they invest in a whole new trilogy without some kind of a built-in demand for that particular story to be told in long form?

Somehow I just can't see it going like:

Rian: So I've got this idea for a new film.
KK: YES?
Rian: It's about this bounty hunter called Suzie Sooppakok.
KK: YES?
Rian: Suzie Sooppakok is this orphan from a--
KK: THIS IS THE STORY WE'VE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR!
Rian: Anyway, Suzie has a brother, Bob Sooppakok--
KK: LET'S MAKE IT A TRILOGY!
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Fri 10 Nov - 19:51

@IoJovi wrote:
@vaderito wrote:
@ReyofLightSide

@vaderito

@IoJovi

But Rey's ancestors are likely to be a brand new host of characters... Wink
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Fri 10 Nov - 19:52

Please no Bounty Hunters! That horrid Jas from Aftermath books soured me on those characters forever.
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Fri 10 Nov - 19:55

@vaderito wrote:Please no Bounty Hunters! That horrid Jas from Aftermath books soured me on those characters forever.
@vaderito

Why, you're in luck! It just so happens that Suzie Sooppakok is a Zabrak, and I'm pitching this idea to Lucasfilm right now!
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum