Discussions: Tweets/Instagram

Page 5 of 22 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13 ... 22  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Discussions: Tweets/Instagram

Post by Maria Antonietta on Fri 29 Dec - 20:32

It's interesting that hatred towards us is getting worse and worse.
Maria Antonietta
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig on Fri 29 Dec - 20:42

It's not that it's getting worse, it's that TLJ brought the theory into the mainstream so everyone and their grandmother is sharing their opinion. Like Vad said, why are these irrelevant Tweets even being shared? These people were wrong for two years and were largely ignored so why are they worth listening to now? They were your everyday Rey-is-a-Skywalkers. They were wrong then and they're wrong now. Move on and don't bother with it.
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Fri 29 Dec - 20:42

can someone find Peter Sciretta tweet where he said that he's hearing that JJ wants to go more in Rian direction with IX?

I’ve actually heard JJ is going more in RJ’s direction with 9

@Maria Antonietta IX is the last Saga movie. LF doesn't have to pander to anyone in the last movie. If they wanted to pander to antis, they would have done it in TLJ. But last movie is of no consequence cause it doesn't build anticipation for anything. It's the last. LF is going to do anything they want. There won't be retconning of TLJ cause there's no need, it's not gonna set up more movies that it needs to bribe fans who'll see it anyway despite claims they are done with SW.
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by MeadowofAshes on Fri 29 Dec - 20:56

Tricia and Co. are going to be in for a... nevermind, I was going to say surprise, but they won't be. Those tweets are nothing but ranting and raving against the inevitable.

Here's something that might help.
MeadowofAshes
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Kylo Rey on Fri 29 Dec - 20:58

@FrolickingFizzgig wrote:It's not that it's getting worse, it's that TLJ brought the theory into the mainstream so everyone and their grandmother is sharing their opinion. Like Vad said, why are these irrelevant Tweets even being shared? These people were wrong for two years and were largely ignored so why are they worth listening to now? They were your everyday Rey-is-a-Skywalkers. They were wrong then and they're wrong now. Move on and don't bother with it.
@FrolickingFizzgig

It's so incredibly strange and hilarious to see that the same people who have been so off the mark for the past two years sit on their high horses and have the audacity to act like nothing happened. Literally any other fandom and they would have either left or admitted they were wrong by now, but nope, Star Wars fans are so incredibly stubborn that they'll remain in denial until 2019 where it'll just hurt even more for them. They're leading a battle they already lost. You would have thought TLJ would teach them some humility, but I guess not.

@vaderito I saw a screenshot of that tweet but for the life of me I can't remember where. It was after his tweet had been deleted too. It was definitely real though.
Kylo Rey
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Fri 29 Dec - 21:10

@MeadowofAshes wrote:Tricia and Co. are going to be in for a... nevermind, I was going to say surprise, but they won't be. Those tweets are nothing but ranting and raving against the inevitable.

Here's something that might help.
@MeadowofAshes

One of the first things I found online after seeing TFA was the essay on that site about how Rey "Had" to be Luke's daughter as part of the Heroine's Journey and a female character being centered as the protagonist in the narrative. Which was one of my first experiences of going "?!?!" because a) Pretty clearly based on her interactions with Ben and no "remember our long lost niece" conversations between Han and Leia, she's not Reylated and b) the assumption that you have to shoehorn in a female character to be a male equivalent to Luke in order for her to be significant. It's the most ridiculously meta statement when Ben tells her that she has no part in the story (the saga of his family) but that she's important because of WHO she is. That's why he respects her and loves her, because of who Rey is as a person. Her being central and important has nothing to do with her lineage but her relationships with these characters.

From a casual follow on social media, I get the impression that a lot of female fans who stuck it out during the worst of the Boy's Club mentality have a hard time accepting that Rey might not be an avatar of the s*** they put up with and that she's there to wipe out Kylo as the avatar of the worst type of fanboys they dealt with. Like it seems really really hard for them to differentiate between how they've related to the franchise as female fans and what that means for how Rey's story and relationships will play out. There was also a great quote from a Marvel writer who'd previously and hilariously roasted on Kylo (don't pick fights with poor people, Rey's been hustling for food, no wonder she whupped his a**) about how TLJ had flipped him around to liking/sympathizing with the character. And that he'd previously been annoyed by Finn and after talking to a bunch of little kids and realizing that KIDS LOVE FINN, he had the epiphany that he needed to get over himself. Unfortunately a lot of these long-term and super engaged fans haven't had that realization yet.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SheLitAFire on Fri 29 Dec - 22:45

@Maria Antonietta wrote:It's interesting that hatred towards us is getting worse and worse.
@Maria Antonietta

You Pierce My Soul. I am Half Agony, Half Hope.
-Jane Austen
SheLitAFire

Localisation : organizing the galaxy's 1st Annual Admiral Ackbar Appreciation and Admiration Memorial Ball

Back to top Go down

Post by EchoBase on Fri 29 Dec - 23:09

@vaderito wrote:can someone find Peter Sciretta tweet where he said that he's hearing that JJ wants to go more in Rian direction with IX?

I’ve actually heard JJ is going more in RJ’s direction with 9

@Maria Antonietta IX is the last Saga movie. LF doesn't have to pander to anyone in the last movie. If they wanted to pander to antis, they would have done it in TLJ. But last movie is of no consequence cause it doesn't build anticipation for anything. It's the last. LF is going to do anything they want. There won't be retconning of TLJ cause there's no need, it's not gonna set up more movies that it needs to bribe fans who'll see it anyway despite claims they are done with SW.
@vaderito

Found on tumblr.

http://claragnar.tumblr.com/post/169085196862/to-every-person-hoping-that-jj-will-save-you
EchoBase
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria Antonietta on Fri 29 Dec - 23:46

It's funny because people like Tricia play the game "fake feminist" of the century. I guess I'm not surprised anymore. It's the worst fandom I've ever joined
Maria Antonietta
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Sat 30 Dec - 2:07

Oh the Tweeter hoping that JJ will make things right is another high profile fan who's not happy with Rey Random in because she'd had a certain mindset about what the message of the character and ST was 'supposed' to be as a legacy offspring/Chosen One narrative. For some fans, they're just not going to happy about that backstory for her, regardless of the message being about how nobody (Jedi or families) have an entitlement to the Force and that anybody, no matter where they come from, can contribute and be a hero. Having thought about it after my 3 viewings, I'm pretty stoked on the fact that they went with a different type of character for Rey. Like I've said, she's Dorothy Gale from the Oz books (which BTW, L Frank Baum created Dorothy and the other female characters like Glenda and Ozma as tributes to his wife and the women in his family who were all kick a** suffragettes), "the power was in her all the time." I read Rey raising the rocks as very much about how women don't need to look to others, especially men, for permission to do the s*** they need to do. Rey had an effect in the end on Luke and Ben (for better and worse), but in the end, she was the person who came to the rescue for the Resistance. And Rose is the person who helped light the spark of hope for people like Broom Boi, adorable annoying moppet he may be.

Too long to repost, but this is a great thread by a well-known writer and fan about how TLJ really hits on the themes of the PT in a major way. Especially with the characters.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdwoman on Sat 30 Dec - 4:20

@snufkin,
This reminds me of the discussions my husband and I have about the virgin Mary. I was raised protestant and he was raised Catholic. The parentage debate about Rey reminds me of our discussions.

Birdwoman
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Sat 30 Dec - 4:59

@Birdwoman - wow that's interesting! I just loved how it was a critique of the whole Chosen One narrative which has been beaten to death in modern pop culture thanks to Harry Potter, the OT, and YA novels. Like every single protagonist is a faux-humble nobody at the beginning of the story who turns out to have an unknown to them pre-destined fate to save the world. Hell, that's Dune which that OT riffs on and you'd imagine Ben's convinced himself he's Paul Atreides until Rey nopes out of not wanting to be his Chani. And you see that so much in politics where people expect/idolize a figure to save the world versus getting up off their asses to do it themselves.

I really loved how TLJ blows up that expectation by showing Rey, Finn, and Rose as nobodies who live up to Paige's words about how heroes step up when it gets hard to do the right thing. And I thought it was a very female type of narrative in that Rey's like Dorothy, she has to learn that she has to power in herself to do what she wants to do. She didn't need Luke (though her influence paid off) or Ben, she did it herself.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig on Sat 30 Dec - 6:32

@snufkin wrote:@Birdwoman - wow that's interesting! I just loved how it was a critique of the whole Chosen One narrative which has been beaten to death in modern pop culture thanks to Harry Potter, the OT, and YA novels. Like every single protagonist is a faux-humble nobody at the beginning of the story who turns out to have an unknown to them pre-destined fate to save the world. Hell, that's Dune which that OT riffs on and you'd imagine Ben's convinced himself he's Paul Atreides until Rey nopes out of not wanting to be his Chani. And you see that so much in politics where people expect/idolize a figure to save the world versus getting up off their asses to do it themselves.

I really loved how TLJ blows up that expectation by showing Rey, Finn, and Rose as nobodies who live up to Paige's words about how heroes step up when it gets hard to do the right thing. And I thought it was a very female type of narrative in that Rey's like Dorothy, she has to learn that she has to power in herself to do what she wants to do. She didn't need Luke (though her influence paid off) or Ben, she did it herself.
@snufkin
Doesn't TLJ present Rey as a chosen one, though? Not all chosen ones are involved in literal prophesies or originate from heroic bloodlines. Rey was the unique Force user whose light rose to meet Ben Solo's darkness. She was literally chosen by the Force for that mission. She was called and awakened by it just as she was awakened by Kylo. Definitely a chosen one in terms of narrative relevance.
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Sat 30 Dec - 6:54

@FrolickingFizzgig Good point, I probably meant more the type of stories (like YA fiction seems rife with it these days) where it's a humble nobody who turns out to be the secret orphan child of somebody great with a connection to the larger picture. Like Luke in the first movie or I guess Harry Potter - where it turns out they have this backstory and lineage connection to the larger picture. The whole fixation on who her parents were, is a symptom of how those type of characters/stories has become so prevalent. Which is why you have some fans freaking out that it turns out that her parents were just alcoholics who scraped by selling junk (and eventually her) to feed the addiction which ended up killing them. Hence Ben's "you have no place in this story" line to her. She's not connected to the larger picture by her blood (the fixation both Luke and Snoke fed in Ben) or history. I guess that's what I meant by Chosen One type of character. But you're right - she's a Chosen One chosen by the Force.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SheLitAFire on Sat 30 Dec - 20:16

This is cool. I didn't know all three of his kids had Resistance cameos.

Also, I noticed Rian disabled comments on his Instagram

-Jane Austen
SheLitAFire

Localisation : organizing the galaxy's 1st Annual Admiral Ackbar Appreciation and Admiration Memorial Ball

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig on Sat 30 Dec - 20:46

@snufkin wrote:@FrolickingFizzgig Good point, I probably meant more the type of stories (like YA fiction seems rife with it these days) where it's a humble nobody who turns out to be the secret orphan child of somebody great with a connection to the larger picture. Like Luke in the first movie or I guess Harry Potter - where it turns out they have this backstory and lineage connection to the larger picture. The whole fixation on who her parents were, is a symptom of how those type of characters/stories has become so prevalent. Which is why you have some fans freaking out that it turns out that her parents were just alcoholics who scraped by selling junk (and eventually her) to feed the addiction which ended up killing them. Hence Ben's "you have no place in this story" line to her. She's not connected to the larger picture by her blood (the fixation both Luke and Snoke fed in Ben) or history. I guess that's what I meant by Chosen One type of character. But you're right - she's a Chosen One chosen by the Force.
@snufkin
Oh yeah, for sure. She's not a secret descendant of some royal bloodline, she's something we don't see nearly as often these days. Something I was guessing she would turn out to be for a long time. When you get down to it her archetype totally harkens back to industrial revolution children's literature heroes like Goody Two Shoes or Oliver Twist. The quickly expanding genre held a special place for the turn-of-the-century "children of nothing" who would climb the social ladder not through wealth or birth, but through compassion, strength of character, innocence and kindness to animals. For more recent examples think Anne of Green Gables, Howl's Moving Castle, Madeline, Matilda, etc.

You'll notice that the vast majority of these heroines are paired up with a subtle or not-so-subtle beauty and the beast trajectory heroine/villain dynamic. Rey's/Anne's/Sophie's need their Ben's/Gilbert's/Howl's. That's how writing works.
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by EchoBase on Sat 30 Dec - 22:22

@SheLitAFire wrote:This is cool. I didn't know all three of his kids had Resistance cameos.

Also, I noticed Rian disabled comments on his Instagram
@SheLitAFire

Saw them today. They appear briefly (all together) when Luke goes out to face Kylo on Crait, staring at him in awe.
EchoBase
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsWindu on Sat 30 Dec - 22:40

Nudge nudge wink wink...so energy’s just right by the third weekend eh - does Rian feel like he’s weathered the storm with his Paul Newman/ The Sting gif

https://twitter.com/rianjohnson/status/947023266857865217?ref_src=twcamp%5Eshare%7Ctwsrc%5Em5%7Ctwgr%5Eemail%7Ctwcon%5E7046%7Ctwterm%5E3
MrsWindu
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Sun 31 Dec - 1:51

@FrolickingFizzgig Great examples. And you know what's interesting? Daisy Ridley has mention multiple times how much she loves Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, and especially Matilda. Even saying she thought of Rey being a little like Matilda. Which duh, so if Rey's parents were just alcoholics who cared more about feeding their addiction and neglected their kid, that makes them the Star Wars equivalent to Mr. and Mrs. Wormwood. And we know that like Matilda, Rey's a curious and self-taught person who discovers that she can move things with her mind. So no wonder she's been doing a slow burn over all the "are you Luke's daughter" comments.

Also the more classic examples, one of my first thoughts after seeing TFA for the first time is that being a scavenger in that world probably makes her like Lizzie Hexam, the mudlark in Our Mutual Friend. She also has a bit of Pip in Great Expectations with Han as Magwitch and the Snoke/Ben relationship as Miss Havisham and Estella. Also? Being old off as a child to a character named Unkar Plutt? That's 100% Dickens, down to the harsh capitalist system he's set up on Jakku.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ZioRen on Sun 31 Dec - 2:11

Sort of out of the way, but Halsey confirmed on Twitter that she also thinks her song 'Control' fits Ben Solo well! This is pretty amazing since a lot of Reylo shippers and Kylo fans were associating the song with Kylo for a long time.

ZioRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Sun 31 Dec - 4:20

Hey lookit that, actual writers who enjoyed the character and think he's one of the best parts of the film

snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig on Sun 31 Dec - 5:25

@Snufkin
I totally forgot that Daisy likened Rey to Matilda, LMFAO. That's so ironic now that we know her background (i.e. sold for drinking money).
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Sun 31 Dec - 6:23

@FrolickingFizzgig Unkar Plutt is Miss Trunchbull! No wonder she was doing a slow burn of aggravation over all the Reywalker questions/speculation

"I aspired to be just like her. I wanted to be a girl who could make a jug of water tip into a glass."

What's your all-time favorite movie?

Matilda. Oh my God, one of our camera guys worked on it, and I was bugging him all day. It almost felt like her journey is similar [to Rey's] in that Matilda starts with so much she doesn't really want to be and finds out something about herself that's special. It's that thing of a child or a young person or even an older person not feeling happy about what's going on, feeling like there's no way to change it, and then suddenly something happens and the possibilities seem endless. It's about using what you have, what everyone has within them, all the special things about themselves, to make a good life for themselves and those around them.

Sorry Star Wars theorists, but these are Rey's parents, like it or not

snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by shii405 on Sun 31 Dec - 8:53

@snufkin wrote:@FrolickingFizzgig Great examples. And you know what's interesting? Daisy Ridley has mention multiple times how much she loves Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, and especially Matilda. Even saying she thought of Rey being a little like Matilda. Which duh, so if Rey's parents were just alcoholics who cared more about feeding their addiction and neglected their kid, that makes them the Star Wars equivalent to Mr. and Mrs. Wormwood. And we know that like Matilda, Rey's a curious and self-taught person who discovers that she can move things with her mind. So no wonder she's been doing a slow burn over all the "are you Luke's daughter" comments.

Also the more classic examples, one of my first thoughts after seeing TFA for the first time is that being a scavenger in that world probably makes her like Lizzie Hexam, the mudlark in Our Mutual Friend. She also has a bit of Pip in Great Expectations with Han as Magwitch and the Snoke/Ben relationship as Miss Havisham and Estella. Also? Being old off as a child to a character named Unkar Plutt? That's 100% Dickens, down to the harsh capitalist system he's set up on Jakku.
@snufkin

Spirited Away!!! I was wondering why this Japanese tweet says these Spirited Away characters looks like Reylo, lol
https://twitter.com/moccosmoco/status/944818933122580482

And yes Howl-Sophie relationship kinda similar to Reylo! I can totally imagine Adam playing Howl!!
shii405
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by SheLitAFire on Sun 31 Dec - 18:20

@ZioRen wrote:Sort of out of the way, but Halsey confirmed on Twitter that she also thinks her song 'Control' fits Ben Solo well! This is pretty amazing since a lot of Reylo shippers and Kylo fans were associating the song with Kylo for a long time.

@ZioRen

How did Halsey confirm it? Sounds like she's just posting her own lyrics as a tweet. I must have missed something. scratch Is she responding to a question about TLJ?

-Jane Austen
SheLitAFire

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 22 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13 ... 22  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum