Force Lore - Canon Sequel Trilogy Discussion..

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Force Lore - Canon Sequel Trilogy Discussion..

Post by DeeBee on Sat 20 Jan - 2:39

Hi Everyone,
I've been looking for a place to discuss force related topics and the ST.
I see threads about the force bond, and about balance and the nature of the force.. but I'm not seeing anywhere to discuss force abilities, the jedi texts, force artifacts, Luke's quest etc.. so I'll start this thread for it, and if I've overlooked a thread I'll trust the mods will incorporate this thread in time..

I've bitten the bullet because I'm super intrigued by some RJ twitter posts that @KyloRey shared in the general discussion topic.
I'll quote this here:
@Kylo Rey wrote:

How to destroy your haters without a single word: A Thread by Rian Johnson.
@Kylo Rey - thanks again for sharing!

This is super interesting! Does anyone have these books? Looking at Amazon it seems to be a box set of some kind..
What really caught my attention was the entry about the advanced force technique 'Art of the Small' - a Jedi can shrink themselves down to the size of a single atom??!!! how cool is that!!! 'Allowing for an unprecedented degree of stealth' - I love this!!!

So who here is as excited about this as I am???!!!!

A few thoughts come to mind in light of this..
The TLJ says not much about the jedi texts, but it seems they are set up to play a central role in the plot of IX. Would you agree?

I haven't found much info about the texts.. they are still quite mysterious.
But I did find this reference in TLJ visual dictionary:  “Luke’s travels have allowed him to collect and assemble ancient scriptures containing lost Jedi wisdom and abilities. Actual books such as these are a true primitive rarity.”
So far this is all I can find on their contents.. The books contain lost Jedi wisdom and abilities – that sounds super intriguing!!! What lost abilities??!!!! I want to know!!!!

I'll stick this info here so I can find it later also:
The SW databank describes the jedi texts too: “The fabled founding texts of the Jedi Order are sheltered from Ahch-To’s weather by the huge trunk of a once-mighty uneti tree. This collection of ancient tomes was painstakingly assembled by Luke Skywalker, but has now become a burden and a torment.”
-I like to check if the databank gets added to from time to time.. this is the only place I've found so far that refers to them as 'founding' texts of the Jedi order.

Do you think Snoke would know Jedi training?
Okay gotta run!

Last edited by DeeBee on Sat 20 Jan - 3:28; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
DeeBee
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Re: Force Lore - Canon Sequel Trilogy Discussion..

Post by DeeBee on Sat 20 Jan - 4:38

I've been reading about the Jedi Path book.. Seems the author Daniel Wallace has a blog where he's shared endnotes (sources)..
His blog posts on the Jedi path are listed on the wookipedia page here: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_Jedi_Path:_A_Manual_for_Students_of_the_Force

I'll quote here what he said about the advanced force techniques:
"p. 131: The Advanced Force Techniques in this section come from a variety of sources. Battle Meditation is from the Tales of the Jedi comics. Combustion is something I invented for The New Essential Guide to Characters, speculating that Jedi Master Yarael Poof had the ability to start fires by increasing molecular friction. Art of the Small is something from the New Jedi Order novels, but I erred by listing it here and then establishing that Luke Skywalker obtained this book prior to the NJO events (basically, he shouldn't have been surprised by the use of Art of the Small in NJO if he'd already read about it in this book). The powers of Doppelganger and Force Storm are both from the Dark Empire comics. "

-Anyone read the dark empire comics?

I think I need to start saving for this box set!

I'm going to predict that one of the texts Rey has stolen is the Jedi path training manual.. seems to fit the description!
DeeBee
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeBee on Sun 21 Jan - 1:54

I've been slowly digging into the early history of the force based on what I can get my hands on.. lol.
Anyone else been reading about this? it's all new to me!

It's a little confusing at times because of the canon/non-canon issue.. and if something isn't canon - that doesn't mean it isn't about to become canon!

Anyway, I recently started reading the non-canon comic series 'Dawn of the Jedi' on youtube - and for anyone else interested in early force history I'd say you'll enjoy it!
I don't know if the history as it unfolds in Dawn of the Jedi will become the canon early history of the force, but I think it's likely there will at least be elements of it.

So what's really interesting in the early stuff is how the galaxy started using the force, how force users came to be.. and how they were originally not either dark or light - there were all about balance.
The story across Dawn of the Jedi is all about the Jedi valuing balance as their ideal. Wow. It blew me away this different way of looking at things.
[I should try and share some shots of it in the Balance specific thread...]
A really interesting thing to me was that the first force users were called the Je'daii - this pre dates the Jedi order..
I wondered if when Luke talks about the Jedi moving forward - if he is actually talking about the Je'daii??!!!
How cool would that be!
Here is the Wookiepedia page for the Je'daii: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Je%27daii_Order
[Yes wookiepedia is not the best source but this is stuff that's not mainstream canon.]

I'm thinking the Je'daii is non-canon at this point- anyone else able to speak to this?
However... the Bendu (the Je'daii name for balance) are in the clone wars, and the planet where the first force users resided 'Thyon' has become canon also - in the force awakens roleplaying game. And.. Thyon was invaded by Rakata - another planet that recently was included in canon.

Anyway, I didn't want to offer a 10 page essay on the history of the force- because I'm a beginner here and just thought I'd share a little tidbit about the origins of force users that has me very curious.
I think IX uncovering this history could be a fun adventure/quest for Rey and Ben.. and has the makings of a fabulous movie to bring together the nine movies and culminate in balance...
But.. must not get attached to this idea.. whatever we get will be great! Smile
DeeBee
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by PalmettoBlue on Sun 21 Jan - 16:46

Wow. Great stuff!

PalmettoBlue
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

https://palmettosdesk.blog/

Back to top Go down

Post by Let The Past Die on Sun 21 Jan - 18:22

I just want to say @DeeBee thanks for the info you have gathered, it's really insightful. I have nothing to add, because although I'm an ancient when it comes to the OT, I've never really dipped further into the films other than enjoying them. Now I'm enjoying them on a whole new level digging that bit deeper, has added more meaning.
So although I have nothing to add, I want you to know your research is appreciated cheers
Let The Past Die
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeBee Yesterday at 6:56

@PalmettoBlue @Let The Past Die

LOL thanks you guys!
I've been enjoying it.. this is all new!
LOL.. but I confess a little voice was very quietly saying in the back of my mind - hmm no one is reading this and maybe I'm a bit weird in sharing this! I don't want to be a bore.
So while I don't expect others to dive in, I appreciate the kind words Smile tee hee..
DeeBee
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum