The Last Jedi General Discussion

Page 6 of 26 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 16 ... 26  Next

Go down

Re: The Last Jedi General Discussion

Post by Kylo Rey on Wed 24 Jan 2018, 2:45 pm

@snufkin wrote:Huh, so if she out and out says her son killed Han in the novel, that's interesting because the one scene where he comes down to face Luke, Poe recognizes him without the mask and calls him by his FO title. So guess it's no big ugly family secret what Leia's son has been up to? And the Resistance members are all cool with that?
@snufkin

That line has no speech marks around it and is italicised which is usually for describing inner thoughts in novels. I don't think she's saying it out loud.
Kylo Rey
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Wed 24 Jan 2018, 2:53 pm

@Kylo Rey wrote:
@snufkin wrote:Huh, so if she out and out says her son killed Han in the novel, that's interesting because the one scene where he comes down to face Luke, Poe recognizes him without the mask and calls him by his FO title. So guess it's no big ugly family secret what Leia's son has been up to? And the Resistance members are all cool with that?
@snufkin

That line has no speech marks around it and is italicised which is usually for describing inner thoughts in novels. I don't think she's saying it out loud.
@Kylo Rey

Interesting! It's just one of those details I've thought about, how does Poe recognize him w/out the mask when he comes down to face Luke and does he know that's Leia's son? He definitely knows who Luke is by sight, likely from prior experience. Kind of like how I've wondered how Finn got arrested on Canto Bight without his fugitive status from the first movie coming up.

And if he recognizes him/knows who he is, does that mean anything if there's fallout on both sides of the conflict over super sekrit Force Skype dates and how Rey had a hand in both Snoke's death/Supreme Leader Kylo Ren? I'm ridiculously thirsty for some type of secret gets blown up scenario for IX

Last edited by snufkin on Wed 24 Jan 2018, 2:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Xylo Ren on Wed 24 Jan 2018, 2:54 pm

@SoloSideCousin wrote:
@nickandnora wrote:I think I missed something. Is it a given that Mark Hamill is even returning for IX?
@nickandnora

No, it is not a given at all. RJ said he'd love for Luke to come back in some way in IX, but JJ is running the show now.

I actually think that it's possible that Luke will not return for three reasons:
(1) JJ was one of the ones concerned with Luke dominating everyone else. As such, JJ rejected all of MH's ideas and only put Luke in one scene with no lines.

(2) I don't have any real evidence for this, except for the fact that JJ basically cut Luke out of TFA, but I get the feeling that JJ is not a Luke lover in the way RJ is. He seems like he was more of a Han guy because (a) HF has more acting charisma than MH ever has had, and yet JJ was fine to put HF front and center; (b) JJ went to LK for help in writing the script, not some GL devotee, but LK who had serious creative issues with GL and has never seemed overtly into Luke in interviews; (c) JJ loves his new babies, Rey and Kylo, more than Luke and will want to showcase them, (d) Kylo Ren is one of the best creative achievements of JJ's career and he worships Adam.  He may not be interested in bogging Kylo down with more Luke stuff; (e) When JJ created the new Skywalker they bypassed Luke completely and had the kid come from what I assume are their favorites,  Han and Leia; (f) JJ and LK set up a story that made Ben the hub of everything and basically a secret protagonist, even as Rey is the overt protagonist. I just think that he will want to play with Kylo pretty unhindered.

(3) Mark Hamill was a massive pain in the a** with his complaining about TLJ. Mark's complaining literally cost Disney serious dollars. I doubt Bob Iger would cry if IX had no Luke.

And if they do bring in Luke as a force ghost,  I doubt he will get special billing.  He will be treated as a surprise like Frank Oz/Yoda and Sean Connery in Robin Hood Prince of Thieves.
@SoloSideCousin

You bring up some good points. I'd honestly root more for a Hayden force ghost than a Luke one, and I really don't see them fitting both into the movie. Anakin needs to make an appearance to Kylo and there has to be a reason they made him idolize him in the first place. If they don't bring back Hayden it'd be a missed opportunity. And I'm sure he's available to do it. As Rey would say "I've seen your schedule, you are NOT busy".
Xylo Ren
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by rawpowah on Wed 24 Jan 2018, 3:04 pm

Ok I need that Han Solo funeral scene like I need air.
rawpowah
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Night Huntress on Wed 24 Jan 2018, 3:05 pm

@snufkin wrote:
@Kylo Rey wrote:
@snufkin

@Kylo Rey

Interesting! It's just one of those details I've thought about, how does Poe recognize him w/out the mask when he comes down to face Luke and does he know that's Leia's son? He definitely knows who Luke is by sight, likely from prior experience. Kind of like how I've wondered how Finn got arrested on Canto Bight without his fugitive status from the first movie coming up.

And if he recognizes him/knows who he is, does that mean anything if there's fallout on both sides of the conflict over super sekrit Force Skype dates and how Rey had a hand in both Snoke's death/Supreme Leader Kylo Ren? I'm ridiculously thirsty for some type of secret gets blown up scenario for IX
@snufkin

well, even if he doesn't wear his mask- who else could it be ? A tall figure all in black with a red sizzling lightsaber? How many of those are running around commanding an attack on the resistance from Kylo's shuttle? WTH
So I'm not sure Poe recognizing Kylo Ren without his mask means he knows his identity.
Night Huntress
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Wed 24 Jan 2018, 3:09 pm

@Night Huntress Oh just that we get the whole build up with his mask and secret/dual identities for members of that family (sometimes wearing masks) throughout the franchise. So part of me was like, no mask how does Poe know who he is because is there a secret who he really is? However tall guy in black with a distinctive saber was likely how Poe knew who he was.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsWindu on Wed 24 Jan 2018, 4:05 pm

Just needing to get my head round the deleted scene of Rey running to the caretaker nun village and another heated discussion with Luke - that was intended to come in before the 3rd Force bond session ? Someone had mentioned she was royally p*** off with Luke she stole the Jedi texts ?

MrsWindu
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by SheLitAFire on Wed 24 Jan 2018, 4:10 pm

@MrsWindu wrote:Just needing to get my head round the deleted scene of Rey running to the caretaker nun village and another heated discussion with Luke - that was intended to come in before the 3rd Force bond session ? Someone had mentioned she was royally p*** off with Luke she stole the Jedi texts ?

@MrsWindu

I just saw these too! Looks like it was right before her mirror cave/smut hut scene. Her hair is still back. Luke will go up to the cliff rock and connect with Leia next and she'll be walking (looking angry) when she talks with Kylo about his dad, then mirror cave, then smut hut.
The caption at the top of these pictures says: Lesson 3

https://twitter.com/starwarstuff/status/956271770851520512

You Pierce My Soul. I am Half Agony, Half Hope.-Jane Austen

Avatar: Garden of Eden by ChieuMua
SheLitAFire

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeBee on Wed 24 Jan 2018, 5:39 pm

@thescavenger wrote:
@DeeBee wrote:I love Padme - but hated her ending.. she did what she could  - and in her life she did many amazing things for the galaxy. I loved her value system and how she acted to make the galaxy a better place for everyone. She deserves to be honoured. I hope she will be...
However, FG Padme would be a stretch as she was not a jedi.. I think the only way that could work is if FG Anakin was reunited with her in the afterlife somehow and he facilitated her becoming a FG. Sounds a bit complicated? I guess we can't rule anything out.. but I think it is unlikely.
@DeeBee and @SoloSideCousin

With all the talks regarding Padmé, I coincidentally read this article this morning

https://www.avclub.com/star-wars-episode-ix-can-fill-leia-s-absence-by-embrac-1822178742

I still think Padmé as a conceptual character is phenomenal, an elected child queen to lead a nation with pure idealistic beliefs. That has never happened throughout history, and it could've been explored in a very comprehensive way, especially in terms of how the idolisation affecter her adulthood. She should've had troubles growing up and being so idolised that she eventually fell for Anakin. But as far as the prequels and the portrayal of the character go, it was quite disappointing to say the least. I partially blame that on George Lucas as well as the norms of the time the movie came out.

I grew up with the prequels as my childhood Star Wars films as well, so I think I'm inclined to be more forgiving. But wow did her love story undermine her character. The dynamics were all wrong and she became a subservient character to her husband, so out of character and against everything she was meant to stand for. It's such a shame because as a character, she had all that potential, the precursor for why Leia became so headstrong and a great leader. I still think she's an underrated character, despite every sitthy decision they've made in her portrayal.

As for the FG Padmé, that's a no, but I wouldn't be surprised if she was mentioned in IX. Maybe that's how reverse Anidala is pronounced for Reylo.
@thescavenger

thanks for sharing this article thescavenger - a really interesting find! maybe we should start a Padme thread? Not sure where it would go though lol.
I grew up with the OT - but I too have really grown to love her character.. so I really enjoyed reading an article that focuses on her place in the Skywalker saga!
I too hope that she will get a mention in IX, and that in some way what she achieved in her too short life will be celebrated. I really don't like that her character seems at times to be defined by her tragic love story, and her ending which was a result of Anakin's choices..
She was much more than that!!! This article was a great reminder of this.. thanks again for sharing!
DeeBee
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Rei of Sunshine on Wed 24 Jan 2018, 5:50 pm

@snufkin wrote:
@Kylo Rey wrote:
@snufkin wrote:Huh, so if she out and out says her son killed Han in the novel, that's interesting becausethe one scene where he comes down to face Luke, Poe recognizes him without the mask and calls him by his FO title. So guess it's no big ugly family secret what Leia's son has been up to? And the Resistance members are all cool with that?
@snufkin

@Kylo Rey

Interesting! It's just one of those details I've thought about, how does Poe recognize him w/out the mask when he comes down to face Luke and does he know that's Leia's son? He definitely knows who Luke is by sight, likely from prior experience. Kind of like how I've wondered how Finn got arrested on Canto Bight without his fugitive status from the first movie coming up .

@snufkin

Off topic but, I thought Finn and Rose got arrested because they illegally parked their ship on a public beach. That's what the other alien dude was complaining about to the CB Police.
Rei of Sunshine
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by special_cases on Wed 24 Jan 2018, 6:27 pm

About the novelization...

special_cases
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Wed 24 Jan 2018, 6:37 pm

@Rei of Sunshine Oh definitely, they came up with a silly plot point (parking illegally, why didn't the cops just tow their spaceship?) as a contrivance to get them into jail and hooking up with DJ for the codebreaking/Finn learns a very important lesson subplot. I was just being wondering how he could get arrested and not immediately come up in their system for prior offenses? It's a little too much applying reality to Star Wars, even if they did make a point of having Mon Mothma read off Jyn's rap sheet when they meet for the first time.

@MrsWindu  - Ha! that clip would've been the THIRD time Rey trashed something belonging the Caretakers (their nice fence and their sex party). No wonder they don't like her. Also woulda been a bit too on the nose maybe if it's the white clad Fish Ladies getting a monthly visit from their black clad Fish Males for a moonlit tryst and immediately after we get shirtless Kylo followed by Uncle Luke busting up their Smut Hut.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by MyOnlyHope on Wed 24 Jan 2018, 7:10 pm

The novelization will probably sell better now that some hype's been allowed to build up. I think it was mentioned that the delay mostly had to do with preventing spoilers? Remember how all the big spoiler drops came from books like the Visual Dictionary. Releasing novelizations a few months after their films will probably become the norm now. I'm really looking forward to Rian's script more than the book actually. From what I've seen, his scripts are highly eloquent and descriptive. Should be cool!

Besides, I think I kinda like getting little bits and pieces of content gradually at this point. 2 years is a long time to wait, so being satiated a little at a time is welcome.
MyOnlyHope
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Rei of Sunshine on Wed 24 Jan 2018, 8:28 pm

@MyOnlyHope wrote:The novelization will probably sell better now that some hype's been allowed to build up. I think it was mentioned that the delay mostly had to do with preventing spoilers? Remember how all the big spoiler drops came from books like the Visual Dictionary. Releasing novelizations a few months after their films will probably become the norm now. I'm really looking forward to Rian's script more than the book actually. From what I've seen, his scripts are highly eloquent and descriptive. Should be cool!

Besides, I think I kinda like getting little bits and pieces of content gradually at this point. 2 years is a long time to wait, so being satiated a little at a time is welcome.
@MyOnlyHope

I fully expect some Harlequin Romance level prose regarding Rey and Kylo in this novelization. That is the only acceptable reason for why they held back the release.
Rei of Sunshine
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Dar-ren19 on Wed 24 Jan 2018, 9:19 pm

@Night Huntress wrote:
I don't know how much the novel will reveal but I'm also dying to know what he was thinking the moment he realizes Rey shipped herself to him on the Supremacy
@Night Huntress

I'm wondering about that too... so was it made clear that he knew she was coming? How did he know? Was it a Force-thought thing or did she actually contact him?
Dar-ren19
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin on Wed 24 Jan 2018, 9:35 pm

@Night Huntress wrote:
@snufkin wrote:
@Kylo Rey wrote:
@snufkin

@Kylo Rey

@snufkin

well, even if he doesn't wear his mask- who else could it be ? A tall figure all in black with a red sizzling lightsaber? How many of those are running around commanding an attack on the resistance from Kylo's shuttle? WTH
So I'm not sure Poe recognizing Kylo Ren without his mask means he knows his identity.
@Night Huntress

I agree. Also, I don't think that the Resistance is aware that Kylo is Supreme Leader at this point either. I mean who was going to tell them? Rey? I don't think that she is talking about her trip to Kylo. Also, Snoke never would have led campaigns like Crait. It might not make a difference, but I think they will only find out after some kind of announcement.
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by MyOnlyHope on Wed 24 Jan 2018, 10:58 pm

So yeah, preventing spoilers was the point of waiting until a few months to release. Makes sense. They should just do this from now on.

MyOnlyHope
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdwoman on Wed 24 Jan 2018, 11:08 pm

I agree. I hope this novel is better written than the novel for TFA. I hope in the last movie JJ does the same thing...

Birdwoman
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Night Huntress on Thu 25 Jan 2018, 12:39 am

@SoloSideCousin wrote:
@Night Huntress

I agree. Also, I don't think that the Resistance is aware that Kylo is Supreme Leader at this point either. I mean who was going to tell them? Rey? I don't think that she is talking about her trip to Kylo. Also, Snoke never would have led campaigns like Crait. It might not make a difference, but I think they will only find out after some kind of announcement.
@SoloSideCousin

I agree- how should they know? They met Rey for the first time after she left the Supremacy when she lifted the rocks to safe them.
Considering how fast everything happened there is no way they had this information.
I think they assumed Kylo was acting under the command of Snoke- although knowing he's acting on his own would've made it even worse for Leia.

I'm wondering how much of what happened in the throne room Rey is gonna share with the Resistance. I'm sure in IX Kylo's version the girl killed Snoke will be spread through the galaxy. Will she stick to that or will she tell the truth? Confus

Night Huntress
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Let The Past Die on Thu 25 Jan 2018, 12:40 am

@MyOnlyHope wrote:The novelization will probably sell better now that some hype's been allowed to build up. I think it was mentioned that the delay mostly had to do with preventing spoilers? Remember how all the big spoiler drops came from books like the Visual Dictionary. Releasing novelizations a few months after their films will probably become the norm now. I'm really looking forward to Rian's script more than the book actually. From what I've seen, his scripts are highly eloquent and descriptive. Should be cool!

@MyOnlyHope
I would prefer to read the script, how do they produce these for GA, do they do it online, in book form? When would it come out? Also is there a script available to read for TFA? I know very little about what they do with scripts, so please excuse my ignorance about this, as I think the script would be fascinating to read.
Let The Past Die
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by MyOnlyHope on Thu 25 Jan 2018, 1:43 am

@Let The Past Die
@Let The Past Die wrote:

@MyOnlyHope
I would prefer to read the script, how do they produce these for GA, do they do it online, in book form? When would it come out? Also is there a script available to read for TFA? I know very little about what they do with scripts, so please excuse my ignorance about this, as I think the script would be fascinating to read.
@Let The Past Die

@Let The Past Die wrote:

@MyOnlyHope
@Let The Past Die The TFA script is brilliant. The interrogation scene is beautifully described, as is Han's death, but I recommend just giving the whole thing quick read. I'm not sure if it was released intentionally by LF or not. It may have leaked. Either way, I remember the novelization and script already being out there after I saw TFA for the first time like two or three weeks late.

You can read it online by just googling TFA script. Should be the first link.
MyOnlyHope
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Starliteprism on Thu 25 Jan 2018, 2:03 am

@MyOnlyHope wrote:
@SoloSideCousin wrote:
@nickandnora wrote:I think I missed something. Is it a given that Mark Hamill is even returning for IX?
@nickandnora

No, it is not a given at all. RJ said he'd love for Luke to come back in some way in IX, but JJ is running the show now.

I actually think that it's possible that Luke will not return for three reasons:
(1) JJ was one of the ones concerned with Luke dominating everyone else. As such, JJ rejected all of MH's ideas and only put Luke in one scene with no lines.

(2) I don't have any real evidence for this, except for the fact that JJ basically cut Luke out of TFA, but I get the feeling that JJ is not a Luke lover in the way RJ is. He seems like he was more of a Han guy because (a) HF has more acting charisma than MH ever has had, and yet JJ was fine to put HF front and center; (b) JJ went to LK for help in writing the script, not some GL devotee, but LK who had serious creative issues with GL and has never seemed overtly into Luke in interviews; (c) JJ loves his new babies, Rey and Kylo, more than Luke and will want to showcase them, (d) Kylo Ren is one of the best creative achievements of JJ's career and he worships Adam.  He may not be interested in bogging Kylo down with more Luke stuff; (e) When JJ created the new Skywalker they bypassed Luke completely and had the kid come from what I assume are their favorites,  Han and Leia; (f) JJ and LK set up a story that made Ben the hub of everything and basically a secret protagonist, even as Rey is the overt protagonist. I just think that he will want to play with Kylo pretty unhindered.

(3) Mark Hamill was a massive pain in the a** with his complaining about TLJ. Mark's complaining literally cost Disney serious dollars. I doubt Bob Iger would cry if IX had no Luke.

And if they do bring in Luke as a force ghost,  I doubt he will get special billing.  He will be treated as a surprise like Frank Oz/Yoda and Sean Connery in Robin Hood Prince of Thieves.
@SoloSideCousin
Yeah, I see it more like the bolded. I would be surprised if force ghost Luke doesn't show up in the post-victory celebration. There's a little bit of unfinished business between him and Ben that could literally be solved with just them smiling at each other. Might as well throw Anakin and Obi-Wan in while they're at it too. Nothing serious. They don't even need to say anything. J.J. can carry on his tradition of directing Luke for one scene with no dialogue. Razz
@MyOnlyHope

Yea, I'm thinking they should pair up Anakin FG with Kylo and Obi-wan for Rey. ;-)
Starliteprism
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Let The Past Die on Thu 25 Jan 2018, 5:24 am

@MyOnlyHope wrote:@Let The Past Die
@Let The Past Die wrote:

@MyOnlyHope
@Let The Past Die

@Let The Past Die wrote:

@MyOnlyHope
@Let The Past Die The TFA script is brilliant. The interrogation scene is beautifully described, as is Han's death, but I recommend just giving the whole thing quick read. I'm not sure if it was released intentionally by LF or not. It may have leaked. Either way, I remember the novelization and script already being out there after I saw TFA for the first time like two or three weeks late.

You can read it online by just googling TFA script. Should be the first link.
@MyOnlyHope

Thank you! Will Google.
Let The Past Die
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Kylo Rey on Thu 25 Jan 2018, 6:32 am

@Let The Past Die wrote:

@MyOnlyHope
@Let The Past Die

Rian releases his scripts on his website. You can find his Brick, Brothers Bloom and Looper scripts here: www.rcjohnso.com
They're really well written and stylish. He said on twitter that he would release his TLJ script eventually so you'll find it there or (more likely) it will be posted on the Disney website.
Kylo Rey
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Let The Past Die on Thu 25 Jan 2018, 6:37 am

@Kylo Rey wrote:
@Let The Past Die wrote:

@MyOnlyHope
@Let The Past Die

Rian releases his scripts on his website. You can find his Brick, Brothers Bloom and Looper scripts here: www.rcjohnso.com
They're really well written and stylish. He said on twitter that he would release his TLJ script eventually so you'll find it there or (more likely) it will be posted on the Disney website.
@Kylo Rey

Thank you! I'll make a note of his website, and keep an eye out.
Let The Past Die
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 26 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 16 ... 26  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum