Glitch in the Matrix: Scenes and Phrases Occurring Twice in the Film and Their Possible Significance

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Glitch in the Matrix: Scenes and Phrases Occurring Twice in the Film and Their Possible Significance

Post by MeadowofAshes on Fri 1 Apr - 6:04

Exactly as the topic states, let's make a list of scenes or phrases heard more than once during the film and analyze their potential significance.

When Rey first introduces herself and Finn to Han on the MF, she tells Han Finn is with the Resistance and she is "just a scavenger". She says this about herself nonchalantly; it is who she is and is no big deal. During the interrogation, Kylo also calls her "a scavenger" and her face reads indignant and ashamed to me. He quickly looks down as though he has put his foot in his mouth. (In the novel he says "Is it true? You're just a scavenger?" and he actually senses her embarrassment and so changes topics.) Why is there a difference? Why be nonchalant with Han and embarrassed/indignant/ashamed with Kylo Ren? Naturally my theory is because she is attracted to Kylo and subconsciously would not want him to see her as someone "less than". Thoughts?
MeadowofAshes
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Re: Glitch in the Matrix: Scenes and Phrases Occurring Twice in the Film and Their Possible Significance

Post by Sylvia Snow on Fri 1 Apr - 6:45

The fairy godmother music can be heard before Rey found the saber and the interrogation scene, it doesn't add up on why they put that sound there but I think it can symbolize that it's some life changing moments. Rey saw the vision that lead her to her destiny and Rey and Ren looking at each other minds, forming a Force Bond.

Ghostly figures whisper her name twice, one is Obi Wan in the vision, the second unidentifiable voice was in the forest, right after we hear Kylo's saber, I still don't know what it means though Neutral
Sylvia Snow
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Re: Glitch in the Matrix: Scenes and Phrases Occurring Twice in the Film and Their Possible Significance

Post by MeadowofAshes on Fri 1 Apr - 6:51

The Bridal Carry: We see 4 different shots of this. 1. When Rey is initially KO and Kylo catches her. 2. From Han's perspective. 3. From Finn's. 4. Close up as he carries her across the threshold.

Like they really wanted to hammer this one home.

EDIT: Bonus Points: The music that sounds like Romeo and Juliet builds starting at Han and climaxes at the recognizable R&Jesque motif as she's carried across the threshold.
MeadowofAshes
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by MeadowofAshes on Fri 1 Apr - 18:28

@Sylvia Snow wrote:The fairy godmother music can be heard before Rey found the saber and the interrogation scene, it doesn't add up on why they put that sound there but I think it can symbolize that it's some life changing moments. Rey saw the vision that lead her to her destiny and Rey and Ren looking at each other minds, forming a Force Bond.

Ghostly figures whisper her name twice, one is Obi Wan in the vision, the second unidentifiable voice was in the forest, right after we hear Kylo's saber, I still don't know what it means though Neutral

I just heard that too, thanks for pointing out! Looks like it plays the second time specifically when he says, "And now you'll give it to me." What?? What in the world does this mean?
MeadowofAshes
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini on Fri 1 Apr - 19:15

The duplicate shots in the snow fight scene between Ren and Rey..They both run in the same direction, both hit a tree and both make the tree fall over in the exact same direction..significance is that they are two sides of a whole..opposites of one another.

Its interesting when the poster first came out someone yelled "they're twins" and I just scoffed because I thought "oh relatives again? thats new" but in a sense they are made to look like twins of the force, not blood but like Yin and Yang.
Gemini
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Fri 1 Apr - 20:17

@Sylvia Snow wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Obi-Wan's "Rey" in the vision come before she runs into Ren, too?

Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by MeadowofAshes on Fri 1 Apr - 20:22

@Darth Dingleberry It does, you're correct.
MeadowofAshes
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dementor on Sat 2 Apr - 5:18

Both Rey and Kylo say "we're not finished, yet"

Rey to Finn when he tries to dip out on their mission.
Kylo to Rey and Finn after he kills Han.

Back to top Go down

Post by Queen Rey on Sat 2 Apr - 5:40

The "we'll see" phrase that keeps coming back? You mean something like this?
Queen Rey
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 2 Apr - 15:59

I like the We are not done yet thing....
It's like Rey and Ren are so similar that they even speak the same things...Razz
Don't think it's accidental......nothing is in this movie full of symbolism and foreshadowing

Is Rey Neo...or is Ren Neo?
Or both?

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Rowan on Sat 2 Apr - 16:49

As you can tell from my signature, I love the recurrence of "We'll see." Snoke says some form of it in response to Kylo Ren's audacious proclamation of "I will not be seduced."

Kylo Ren then says it to Rey in one of my favorite Kylo moments in TFA: so arrogant and so sure, with the slight narrowing of the eyes, the hint of condescension. We've been led to believe that he can "crack" any mind. We saw him break Poe, and we believe his over-confidence is justified. But then he is proven wrong by Rey. I wonder if Snoke's "We shall see" will prove him wrong again? n_n

Another nice recurring theme is the unmasking: we see it occur three times, and (in my opinion) in reverse order of importance as far as how much is concealed: first Finn, then Rey, then Kylo Ren. Three people who to varying degrees are not who they say they are.

Admin

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Search Your Feelings on Sun 3 Apr - 0:59

As much as I like Poe, I notice he says "Give it all we got!" "Give it everything we got!" a lot Laughing
Search Your Feelings
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by MeadowofAshes on Sun 3 Apr - 2:41

@Queen Rey wrote:The "we'll see" phrase that keeps coming back? You mean something like this?

Exactly. Repeated phrases. Or scenes that are done twice, such as the interrogation scenes and the lightsaber battles.
MeadowofAshes
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 on Fri 15 Jul - 13:07

@Darth Dementor wrote:Both Rey and Kylo say "we're not finished, yet"

@Darth Dementor

Yes, I noticed that.
Off topic but...did anyone notice the expressions on Finn and Rey's faces when they saw Kylo beating his own wound? Because although they both hated him at that moment for a brief instance they looked horrified, as if seeing him hurting himself like that disturbed them, and then Rey's hate came back and she tried to shoot him.
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Slade on Fri 15 Jul - 15:48

@motherofpearl1 wrote:
@Darth Dementor wrote:Both Rey and Kylo say "we're not finished, yet"

@Darth Dementor

Yes, I noticed that.
Off topic but...did anyone notice the expressions on Finn and Rey's faces when they saw Kylo beating his own wound? Because although they both hated him at that moment for a brief instance they looked horrified, as if seeing him hurting himself like that disturbed them, and then Rey's hate came back and she tried to shoot him.
@motherofpearl1

Yes. And rey looked nauseated.
Slade
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 on Fri 15 Jul - 15:58

I think it proves that at some time in the future they are going to feel compassion for him - it'll be a while, especially after what he did to Finn. But..
Both Rey and Finn are compassionate by nature, I suspect they will learn something about him that might just change their outlook.
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyHa on Sat 16 Jul - 0:00

@MeadowofAshes wrote:The Bridal Carry: We see 4 different shots of this. 1. When Rey is initially KO and Kylo catches her. 2. From Han's perspective. 3. From Finn's. 4. Close up as he carries her across the threshold.

EDIT: Bonus Points: The music that sounds like Romeo and Juliet builds starting at Han and climaxes at the recognizable R&Jesque motif as she's carried across the threshold.
@MeadowofAshes

The R&J-esque motif seems very clear, especially after repeated viewings.  Has anyone asked John Williams about this?

There is something related to the bridal carrying scene that I haven't seen mentioned here (although I don't doubt that it's been brought up), and it's that it was repeated with Chewie carrying Finn.  Here are screenshots showing how both scenes are shot from a similar distance and angle.

LadyHa
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by MeadowofAshes on Sat 16 Jul - 1:25

@LadyHa Good catch! I know we've discussed it elsewhere but not on this thread. Another case of same shots and scenes being used to compare/contrast. How I interpret this is Kylo the masked "creature" who turns out to be a beautified young man carrying Rey, an uninjured young woman, across the threshold is contrasted with an actual non-human male carrying an injured young man aboard to safety. IMO we're supposed to notice a difference. The MF scene is also used to show Rey looking back in Kylo's direction, indicating she is worried about his well-being or his ability to escape the imminent destruction of SKB.
MeadowofAshes
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaleyna on Sat 16 Jul - 20:08

@MeadowofAshes wrote:The Bridal Carry: We see 4 different shots of this. 1. When Rey is initially KO and Kylo catches her. 2. From Han's perspective. 3. From Finn's. 4. Close up as he carries her across the threshold.

@MeadowofAshes

Love this!! The 2 important men in her life (other than Kylo) see it and that staging holds meaning for me. In the scene, they don't see Kylo dragging her aboard kicking and screaming or having Storm Troopers do it. He's gently carrying her aboard in his arms.

Kaleyna
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyHa on Sat 16 Jul - 21:16

@MeadowofAshes wrote:@LadyHa Good catch! I know we've discussed it elsewhere but not on this thread. Another case of same shots and scenes being used to compare/contrast. How I interpret this is Kylo the masked "creature" who turns out to be a beautified young man carrying Rey, an uninjured young woman, across the threshold is contrasted with an actual non-human male carrying an injured young man aboard to safety. IMO we're supposed to notice a difference. The MF scene is also used to show Rey looking back in Kylo's direction, indicating she is worried about his well-being or his ability to escape the imminent destruction of SKB.
@MeadowofAshes

I also like to think of the scenes as Kylo carrying Rey into the underworld, contrasted with Chewie carrying Finn out of it. Right around this time, the Falcon seems to represent the light (when Finn & Rey are still on the ground, the Falcon shows up shining a very bright light on them.)

In the MF scene, I never would have noticed Rey looking back if I hadn't read it on this board.  It goes by so quickly in the film that I have wondered how intentional it really was. I would have preferred if the camera lingered on her a little more at that point.  Of course, they deleted that scene towards the end where she gets good news about Finn, interrupting her conflicted thoughts, so maybe they didn't want to emphasize her ruminations on what just happened to her.

Last edited by LadyHa on Sat 16 Jul - 21:20; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Falcon = Light)
LadyHa
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 on Sun 17 Jul - 5:31

@LadyHa wrote:
@MeadowofAshes wrote:@LadyHa Good catch! I know we've discussed it elsewhere but not on this thread. Another case of same shots and scenes being used to compare/contrast. How I interpret this is Kylo the masked "creature" who turns out to be a beautified young man carrying Rey, an uninjured young woman, across the threshold is contrasted with an actual non-human male carrying an injured young man aboard to safety. IMO we're supposed to notice a difference. The MF scene is also used to show Rey looking back in Kylo's direction, indicating she is worried about his well-being or his ability to escape the imminent destruction of SKB.
@MeadowofAshes

I also like to think of the scenes as Kylo carrying Rey into the underworld, contrasted with Chewie carrying Finn out of it. Right around this time, the Falcon seems to represent the light (when Finn & Rey are still on the ground, the Falcon shows up shining a very bright light on them.)

In the MF scene, I never would have noticed Rey looking back if I hadn't read it on this board.  It goes by so quickly in the film that I have wondered how intentional it really was. I would have preferred if the camera lingered on her a little more at that point.  Of course, they deleted that scene towards the end where she gets good news about Finn, interrupting her conflicted thoughts, so maybe they didn't want to emphasize her ruminations on what just happened to her.
@LadyHa

I think they were trying to cut back on any scene where she seemed to show regret or compassion regarding Kylo - waiting for the next film I think.
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum